Options

Police abuse

Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    edited April 2021
    mace1229 said:
    dankind said:
    Can we all agree it’s time for cops to be cops instead of the cop, judge, jury, and executioner? Yes the victim was wrong, but that in no way entitles an officer to convict. 

I don’t think anyone on the forum is saying the officer is trying to be an executioner. The officer made a brutally poor mistake, lost her career and possibly will serve a few years for manslaughter. If you don’t hear that in her voice on the video, we'll need to agree to disagree.

the victim made a conscious decision to flea arrest, to drive without plates, to ignore a court appointment and an appearance in front of a judge, carry a gun illegally and run from the police. All of these were conscious decisions by the victim at different points in time. Did he deserve to die? of course not, this is a tragedy. But he made six conscious decisions, each of which put his life in more danger.

If democrats and the black community pretend in this case there is nothing to be learned about living within the law and respecting authority, this will turn into a gift to trump and his comrades, just like defund the police was. It is time for all of us to acknowledge when we take risky behavior involving the police, bad accidents can happen. 
    george floyd did none of those things. he complied and he was murdered. 

If I was a black person, I'd be terrified every single time I saw a siren. seriously. do I think they are being hunted? no, but I do believe that police (and the general public) have pre-conceived notions of how a person of a certain skin colour is going to act/react, how much danger they are going to be, etc, and act/react accordingly. 

To be clear, I was commenting on Wright, not Floyd. In this case, they didn’t have preconceived notions, they had knowledge of multiple violations of law and a physical altercation initiated by the suspect.

The taser was a terrible accident, the cop did not look down and had every reason to believe the criminal could have a gun in his car and had a split second to react. A horrible accident, but one the victim clearly placed himself in harms way by becoming physical in his attempt to flee arrest

Certain times call for accountability. Potter may serve four years for this horrible accident. If the black community chooses to ignore the rap sheet a young 20 year old was building in short order, they are not going to find the solutions they are hoping for.
    This is your third white supremacist post blowing the exact same dogwhistle.

This should be obvious, but it is not on victims to meet their abusers halfway.

If more than half the country thinks as this post lays out, then it deserves another fucking DJT and whatever may come of it.

Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that in the US's short, violent history, instances in which minority victims attempted to meet their white abusers halfway have almost never worked out for the minority community in the long run. The white abusers quickly retool their olive branches into switches.

Also, the rap sheet I saw contained two misdemeanors on it. I had plenty more on mine before my 21st birthday, and I continued to resist arrest, flee, etc., whenever confronted by LEOs. I just can't believe my luck!
    What do you mean by that in this case? Leading up to the shooting, what did the cops do wrong in this case? Are the police not supposed to arrest someone with an active warrant? Are they supposed to just let him flee without attempting to restrain him?
    No one is asking him to meet them half way, but the police need to do their jobs. And that includes arresting people with a warrant. I mean, we had a lot of talk recently about being more aggressive with gun laws. Are those gun laws only supposed ot apply to white people? Of course not. So I just don't understand what you meant by the victims are not supposed to meet their abusers half way. Up until the moment she pulled the trigger, what did they do wrong? I see nothing. Had it actually been a taser and not a gun, I'd say the police did everything right. SO what does not meeting them halfway look like, not allowing himself to be arrested?
    You see nothing wrong with how three armed cops handled that situation? Wow. Tell me, why was Daunte Wright shot?
    You've asked me this question 3 times. I'll answer again. He was shot because the female cop mistook her gun for a taser.

Up until the point he was shot, no I did not see anything wrong with it.

He was pulled over for expired tags - nothing wrong with that
    His name was ran and found to have a warrant - nothing wrong with that
    They attempted to arrest him on said warrant - nothing wrong with that
    He resisted, broke loose and lunged into his car and they attempted to restrain him - nothing wrong with that

Had the cop actually used the taser instead of the gun, I would see nothing wrong with the whole situation. Unfortunately she did, and will likely pay a price. But in the step above, prior to mistaking the gun for a taser, where did the cops go wrong? Where was he mistreated? Where did they expect him to meet half way? Where was he abused? It was a routine stop, and would have been a routine arrest on a lawful warrant had force not been required. Are they not supposed to arrest on gun charges? I thought we wanted to be tough on guns? Or is enforcing gun laws bad now?
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    I don't know, this stuff is just crazy and does not help.

Wright’s family has stated that they will be unsatisfied with anything short of murder charges against Potter. “Prosecute them, like they would prosecute us,” Nyesha Wright, the victim’s aunt, said at a Tuesday news conference. “We want the highest justice.”

Ben Crump, an attorney for Wright’s family, likened Potter’s shooting of the 20-year-old to an “execution” and expressed disbelief that Potter, a 26-year veteran of policing, could allegedly mistake a gun for a Taser.

“While we appreciate that the district attorney is pursuing justice for Daunte, no conviction can give the Wright family their loved one back,” Crump said in a statement Wednesday. “This was no accident. This was an intentional, deliberate, and unlawful use of force.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/04/14/daunte-wright-shooting-charging-decision/

It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    gvn2fly1421gvn2fly1421 Posts: 935
    Anyone have any numbers on how many encounters African Americans and the police have annually?  Now, anyone have any numbers on how many African Americans are shot by the police annually?  Same with white people.  I have to think that number/percentage of encounters to fatalities is really low.  I just find it weird the same people who argue that the J&J vaccine being halted because of 6 (known) cases out of 7 million see that as no big deal, yet freak out when a black person is killed by the police. 

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,611
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    dankind said:
    Can we all agree it’s time for cops to be cops instead of the cop, judge, jury, and executioner? Yes the victim was wrong, but that in no way entitles an officer to convict. 

I don’t think anyone on the forum is saying the officer is trying to be an executioner. The officer made a brutally poor mistake, lost her career and possibly will serve a few years for manslaughter. If you don’t hear that in her voice on the video, we'll need to agree to disagree.

the victim made a conscious decision to flea arrest, to drive without plates, to ignore a court appointment and an appearance in front of a judge, carry a gun illegally and run from the police. All of these were conscious decisions by the victim at different points in time. Did he deserve to die? of course not, this is a tragedy. But he made six conscious decisions, each of which put his life in more danger.

If democrats and the black community pretend in this case there is nothing to be learned about living within the law and respecting authority, this will turn into a gift to trump and his comrades, just like defund the police was. It is time for all of us to acknowledge when we take risky behavior involving the police, bad accidents can happen. 

If I was a black person, I'd be terrified every single time I saw a siren. seriously. do I think they are being hunted? no, but I do believe that police (and the general public) have pre-conceived notions of how a person of a certain skin colour is going to act/react, how much danger they are going to be, etc, and act/react accordingly. 

To be clear, I was commenting on Wright, not Floyd. In this case, they didn’t have preconceived notions, they had knowledge of multiple violations of law and a physical altercation initiated by the suspect.

The taser was a terrible accident, the cop did not look down and had every reason to believe the criminal could have a gun in his car and had a split second to react. A horrible accident, but one the victim clearly placed himself in harms way by becoming physical in his attempt to flee arrest

Certain times call for accountability. Potter may serve four years for this horrible accident. If the black community chooses to ignore the rap sheet a young 20 year old was building in short order, they are not going to find the solutions they are hoping for.

If more than half the country thinks as this post lays out, then it deserves another fucking DJT and whatever may come of it.

Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that in the US's short, violent history, instances in which minority victims attempted to meet their white abusers halfway have almost never worked out for the minority community in the long run. The white abusers quickly retool their olive branches into switches.

Also, the rap sheet I saw contained two misdemeanors on it. I had plenty more on mine before my 21st birthday, and I continued to resist arrest, flee, etc., whenever confronted by LEOs. I just can't believe my luck!
    What do you mean by that in this case? Leading up to the shooting, what did the cops do wrong in this case? Are the police not supposed to arrest someone with an active warrant? Are they supposed to just let him flee without attempting to restrain him?
    No one is asking him to meet them half way, but the police need to do their jobs. And that includes arresting people with a warrant. I mean, we had a lot of talk recently about being more aggressive with gun laws. Are those gun laws only supposed ot apply to white people? Of course not. So I just don't understand what you meant by the victims are not supposed to meet their abusers half way. Up until the moment she pulled the trigger, what did they do wrong? I see nothing. Had it actually been a taser and not a gun, I'd say the police did everything right. SO what does not meeting them halfway look like, not allowing himself to be arrested?
    You see nothing wrong with how three armed cops handled that situation? Wow. Tell me, why was Daunte Wright shot?
    You've asked me this question 3 times. I'll answer again. He was shot because the female cop mistook her gun for a taser.

He resisted, broke loose and lunged into his car and they attempted to restrain him - nothing wrong with that

Had the cop actually used the taser instead of the gun, I would see nothing wrong with the whole situation. Unfortunately she did, and will likely pay a price. But in the step above, prior to mistaking the gun for a taser, where did the cops go wrong? Where was he mistreated? Where did they expect him to meet half way? Where was he abused? It was a routine stop, and would have been a routine arrest on a lawful had force not been required. Are they not supposed to arrest on gun charges? I thought we wanted to be tough on guns? Or is enforcing gun laws bad now?
    So, other than mistaking her gun for a taser, the cops were perfect? There was nothing else they could have done to reduce the odds of escalation, putting themselves at potential risk or the ultimate outcome? Nothing else should have been done or could have been done differently?

I question you on this because you’re the resident policing expert (I use the term lightly, not a slight, maybe because you always take the cops side and explain the malfeasance away, like saying “if they had only complied), having chimed in many times on police tactics and having a brother who is in law enforcement. All of your questions are immaterial as they shouldn’t matter as to why Daunte Wright was shot. Again, you see absolutely nothing wrong with their tactics up until she mistakes her gun for a taser. I see a number of tactical policing errors prior to the moment the victim is shot. A 20 year old string bean of a kid and 3 armed cops escalate to tasing/shooting when threatened with fleeing the scene?

Yes, gun laws should be enforced. Yes, drivers should be pulled over for expired tags. Yes, being detained/arrested for an outstanding warrant is okay. Daunte Wright was abused the moment he was shot. And being pulled over for expired tags and being detained for, and arrested for, outstanding misdemeanors shouldn’t result in death.

Was a gun found in the car or on Mr. Wright’s person? So a prior arrest or charge for a gun crime makes you guilty of possessing a firearm every time you get pulled over and have your name run?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Anyone have any numbers on how many encounters African Americans and the police have annually?  Now, anyone have any numbers on how many African Americans are shot by the police annually?  Same with white people.  I have to think that number/percentage of encounters to fatalities is really low.  I just find it weird the same people who argue that the J&J vaccine being halted because of 6 (known) cases out of 7 million see that as no big deal, yet freak out when a black person is killed by the police. 

well at least now I know I'm no longer the WORST drawer of parallels on the forum. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    dankind said:

Had the cop actually used the taser instead of the gun, I would see nothing wrong with the whole situation. Unfortunately she did, and will likely pay a price. But in the step above, prior to mistaking the gun for a taser, where did the cops go wrong? Where was he mistreated? Where did they expect him to meet half way? Where was he abused? It was a routine stop, and would have been a routine arrest on a lawful had force not been required. Are they not supposed to arrest on gun charges? I thought we wanted to be tough on guns? Or is enforcing gun laws bad now?
    So, other than mistaking her gun for a taser, the cops were perfect? There was nothing else they could have done to reduce the odds of escalation, putting themselves at potential risk or the ultimate outcome? Nothing else should have been done or could have been done differently?

I question you on this because you’re the resident policing expert (I use the term lightly, not a slight, maybe because you always take the cops side and explain the malfeasance away, like saying “if they had only complied), having chimed in many times on police tactics and having a brother who is in law enforcement. All of your questions are immaterial as they shouldn’t matter as to why Daunte Wright was shot. Again, you see absolutely nothing wrong with their tactics up until she mistakes her gun for a taser. I see a number of tactical policing errors prior to the moment the victim is shot. A 20 year old string bean of a kid and 3 armed cops escalate to tasing/shooting when threatened with fleeing the scene?

Yes, gun laws should be enforced. Yes, drivers should be pulled over for expired tags. Yes, being detained/arrested for an outstanding warrant is okay. Daunte Wright was abused the moment he was shot. And being pulled over for expired tags and being detained for, and arrested for, outstanding misdemeanors shouldn’t result in death.

Was a gun found in the car or on Mr. Wright’s person? So a prior arrest or charge for a gun crime makes you guilty of possessing a firearm every time you get pulled over and have your name run?
    Well, you do mean it as a slight, but thats okay.
    And I don't always take the cop's side. I haven't defended Chauvan. I haven't defended this girl other than saying I believe it was an accident, but that she should still have a consequence. 
    Cops can never win with some people. Its "why didn't they restrain him more" or "thats abuse!" when they do. From the video I saw they were calm when placing him under arrest. He broke free and lunged into his car. This whole incident lasted under 5 seconds. And yeah, I'm okay with 3 kops using a taser when they are unable to get restraints on for an arrest warrant and he lunges inside a car. What should they do, just ask nicely and hope this guy with a warrant for gun charges is just going to lunge into his car and then change his mind to come out and be arrested? I really am curious what your solution is. I give you the female bad a terrible mistake, and that is on her. But what do you want them to do when he breaks out of the cuffs and lunges in his car? What should be the next steps if restraints have failed and a taser is too much? Keep asking nicely until he peels off and drives away?
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    dankind said:

And I don't always take the cop's side. I haven't defended Chauvan. I haven't defended this girl other than saying I believe it was an accident, but that she should still have a consequence. 
    Cops can never win with some people. Its "why didn't they restrain him more" or "thats abuse!" when they do. From the video I saw they were calm when placing him under arrest. He broke free and lunged into his car. This whole incident lasted under 5 seconds. And yeah, I'm okay with 3 kops using a taser when they are unable to get restraints on for an arrest warrant and he lunges inside a car. What should they do, just ask nicely and hope this guy with a warrant for gun charges is just going to lunge into his car and then change his mind to come out and be arrested? I really am curious what your solution is. I give you the female bad a terrible mistake, and that is on her. But what do you want them to do when he breaks out of the cuffs and lunges in his car? What should be the next steps if restraints have failed and a taser is too much? Keep asking nicely until he peels off and drives away?
    if he is resisting arrest they have a right to use force. not deadly, but force. which I think you agree with. I would imagine most reasonable people agrees with that. We have just seen video after video after video of cops using insane amounts of unnecessary force. 

after finally watching the video, she seems genuinely in shock that she shot him (I really should have watched the video prior to commenting-my bad). I don't know if you can fake that kind of emotion. 

she still needs to be punished for her mistake, as that mistake cost a man his life. a cop should know what weapon they are holding, zero excuses. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    dankind said:

if he is resisting arrest they have a right to use force. not deadly, but force. which I think you agree with. I would imagine most reasonable people agrees with that. We have just seen video after video after video of cops using insane amounts of unnecessary force. 

after finally watching the video, she seems genuinely in shock that she shot him (I really should have watched the video prior to commenting-my bad). I don't know if you can fake that kind of emotion. 

she still needs to be punished for her mistake, as that mistake cost a man his life. a cop should know what weapon they are holding, zero excuses. 
    Yes I agree with that first part 100%. You resist, they can use non-deadly force. 
    What also surprised me with the video is not only her reaction, which seems to be complete surprise at what she did, but the other cops didnt seem to realize what happened right away either. It really was all over and done in just a few seconds, none of them realized until after it was over.
  • Options
    gvn2fly1421gvn2fly1421 Posts: 935
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    dankind said:

Had the cop actually used the taser instead of the gun, I would see nothing wrong with the whole situation. Unfortunately she did, and will likely pay a price. But in the step above, prior to mistaking the gun for a taser, where did the cops go wrong? Where was he mistreated? Where did they expect him to meet half way? Where was he abused? It was a routine stop, and would have been a routine arrest on a lawful warrant had force not been required. Are they not supposed to arrest on gun charges? I thought we wanted to be tough on guns? Or is enforcing gun laws bad now?
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    dankind said:

I do not see how either of these opinions are even controversial.  This has to be the opinion of 99% of the people who have seen the video and know the details.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    mace1229 said:

Yes I agree with that first part 100%. You resist, they can use non-deadly force. 
    What also surprised me with the video is not only her reaction, which seems to be complete surprise at what she did, but the other cops didnt seem to realize what happened right away either. It really was all over and done in just a few seconds, none of them realized until after it was over.

Police CAN use force
    But do they HAVE to use force?

It was the cop's responsibility to maintain control of the situation, which they did not do.
    Once they failed to properly do their job, the police unnecessarily escalated the situation by introducing a weapon.

It didn't need to be this way. 
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:

Police CAN use force

It was the cop's responsibility to maintain control of the situation, which they did not do.
    Once they failed to properly do their job, the police unnecessarily escalated the situation by introducing a weapon.

so it's the cop's fault that he resisted now? 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,790
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:

Police CAN use force

Yes. Everything the kid ever did wrong is the cops fault. 
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,117
    static111 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:
    static111 said:
    Here’s a good thread about some of the problems we have that could be easily fixed.  

Maybe

It's also a stupid MN law:

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/169.71

Prohibitions generally; exceptions. (a) A person shall not drive or operate any motor vehicle with:
    (2) any objects suspended between the driver and the windshield
    There should be a whole division that deals with minor infractions that don’t carry lethal weapons and can’t issue any other citations than the one being stopped for.  
    I hear you but you never know who you’re pulling over. Plenty of examples of very minor traffic stops resulting in cops getting shot at. I recently got pulled over for having a mask hanging on the rear view mirror. I never keep it there I just happened to hang it up in between some errands. 
    Would people be so worried and high stress if they knew that traffic cops were only responsible for traffic and other vehicle infractions and couldn’t expand their scope beyond what they are pulling someone over for? Probably not.  I mean let’s say I have a trash bag of weed in my trunk and I get pulled over for expired tags and know that I can only get a ticket for a traffic violation, tags, etc. I’m not gonna have an oh shot moment, I’m gonna take my ticket and go.

You’re admitting if we keep enforcement off of the roads, crime will rise dramatically. Once criminals know there is limited enforcement on the roads , it’s gang land Chicago all over again.
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:

Police CAN use force

No.  

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options

yes, I know you were referring to Wright; I was commenting on your assertion that there is something to be learned about living within the law and respecting authority; Floyd did respect authority, and he still wound up dead. 

I 100% understand why a black person would flee or resist arrest. I think many of them think they have a better chance of survival if they take off. 
    The Floyd death was absolutely a crime, possibly murder 2. Potter I am not sure. Probably 50/50 she will get convicted of manslaughter in this climate. Ordinarily her odds are a 1 in 5 chance of conviction according to the statistics.

Just because Floyd got screwed for obeying the cop doesn’t give an up and coming criminal building his rap sheet at 20 reason to use force against the police and run. Odds are much greater of that causing an unfortunate incident against the suspect than complying.  If blacks are worried about getting killed by cops, then whites should really be scared, because double the amount of whites were killed by cops last year. I am not convinced per capita stats would quell fear for the whites.
  • Options

yes, I know you were referring to Wright; I was commenting on your assertion that there is something to be learned about living within the law and respecting authority; Floyd did respect authority, and he still wound up dead. 

I 100% understand why a black person would flee or resist arrest. I think many of them think they have a better chance of survival if they take off. 
    The Floyd death was absolutely a crime, possibly murder 2. Potter I am not sure. Probably 50/50 she will get convicted of manslaughter in this climate. Ordinarily her odds are a 1 in 5 chance of conviction according to the statistics.

Just because Floyd got screwed for obeying the cop doesn’t give an up and coming criminal building his rap sheet at 20 reason to use force against the police and run. Odds are much greater of that causing an unfortunate incident against the suspect than complying.  If blacks are worried about getting killed by cops, then whites should really be scared, because double the amount of whites were killed by cops last year. I am not convinced per capita stats would quell fear for the whites.
    disagree. if I was a black man in america,I don't blame them for running one bit. that's your white privilege talking. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

dankind said:

By meeting halfway, my point was Black leaders need to hold those in their community accountable when they clearly break the law, and not scream nonsense that Wright was racially murdered. But go on and misinterpret since you’ve read all three of my posts about that.

White supremacist dog whistle?? I thought you liked to play by the rules here? Guess not.

Chauvin deserves conviction, Potter does not. That makes me a racist? You forgot what “defund the police” did to downballot democrats last November? Remembering that makes me racist? Good grief.

I’ll join you in breaking the rules here bud, you are out of your mind. 
    Wish you could help me mister.

If at 20, you-

1- illegally carried a gun
    2- ran from police (then, not now)
    3- ignored an order to appear in court
    4- drove illegally without plates (which does put other citizens at risk)
    5- forcefully resisted arrest
    6- broke free of handcuffs and lunged into your car
    7- where you possibly had a gun, see #1

you probably would have served some time in prison in your 20s. Wright Knew there was a chance he was going to prison, that’s why he tried to flee. Because he actually broke the law multiple times.

If being able to identify crimes and tell the difference between Chauvin and Potter makes me a white 
    supremacist, so be it.
  • Options
    Officer injured trying to stop man wanted for assault over Menards face mask policy

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-news/officer-injured-trying-to-stop-man-wanted-for-assault-over-menards-face-mask-policy

"The vehicle stopped in the area of Highway 15 and Freemont. When an officer engaged the suspect through the driver’s side window, the officer became trapped in the window and the driver took off at a high rate of speed with the officer hanging onto the vehicle.
    During the struggle, the officer was struck in the head with a hammer. The officer was taken to Hutchinson Health for his injuries and is in stable condition."

• Options
    edited April 2021
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:

Police CAN use force

No.  

I will add that the arresting officer failed to maintain control and overall seemed to be fumbling the initial handcuffing as he started and then pulled the cuffs back to re-adjust them. That was not proper protocol for handcuffing and allowed Wright to pull away. That doesn't excuse Wright's actions, but it seemed he used those brief seconds to make his move knowing jail was imminent. That's fight or flight and he decided it was time.

Edit: Although it is hard to tell if Wright pulled his left wrist away and that's why the cop pulled back the cuffs and then tried to regain control as Potter moved in to assist before he lunged towards the driver's seat.
    Post edited by tbergs on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    tbergs said:

Wright’s family has stated that they will be unsatisfied with anything short of murder charges against Potter. “Prosecute them, like they would prosecute us,” Nyesha Wright, the victim’s aunt, said at a Tuesday news conference. “We want the highest justice.”

Ben Crump, an attorney for Wright’s family, likened Potter’s shooting of the 20-year-old to an “execution” and expressed disbelief that Potter, a 26-year veteran of policing, could allegedly mistake a gun for a Taser.

“While we appreciate that the district attorney is pursuing justice for Daunte, no conviction can give the Wright family their loved one back,” Crump said in a statement Wednesday. “This was no accident. This was an intentional, deliberate, and unlawful use of force.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/04/14/daunte-wright-shooting-charging-decision/

That’s my point about Black leaders meeting us halfway in this case. This is not the time to be screaming Potter is a racist murderer. Anyone who watched that video should be able to understand her mistake, considering she just learned Wright had a gun crime on his record and he initiated illegal force against her

Wright put himself in this position by breaking the law multiple times. A Black leader needs to tell his people, “hey this unfortunate incident was partially caused by a young man and the dangerous decisions he made over the course of two years. And let’s have a moment of silence for all of the White victims of police murder, who outnumber black victims two to one.”
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,611

dankind said:

By meeting halfway, my point was Black leaders need to hold those in their community accountable when they clearly break the law, and not scream nonsense that Wright was racially murdered. But go on and misinterpret since you’ve read all three of my posts about that.

White supremacist dog whistle?? I thought you liked to play by the rules here? Guess not.

Chauvin deserves conviction, Potter does not. That makes me a racist? You forgot what “defund the police” did to downballot democrats last November? Remembering that makes me racist? Good grief.

I’ll join you in breaking the rules here bud, you are out of your mind. Wish you could help me mister.

If at 20, you-

1- illegally carried a gun
    2- ran from police (then, not now)
    3- ignored an order to appear in court
    4- drove illegally without plates (which does put other citizens at risk)
    5- forcefully resisted arrest
    6- broke free of handcuffs and lunged into your car
    7- where you possibly had a gun, see #1

you probably would have served some time in prison in your 20s. Wright Knew there was a chance he was going to prison, that’s why he tried to flee. Because he actually broke the law multiple times.

If being able to identify crimes and tell the difference between Chauvin and Potter makes me a white supremacist, so be it.
    So "charged" equates to "guilt" in your mind? Since defendants are typically allowed their day in court, even if they skip/miss their initial court  appearance, you can't assume Daunte Wright was guilty or that the charges might have been dropped or plead to a lesser charge. Regardless, all of the offenses, illegal possession of a gun, failure to appear, driving with expired tags (2 to 3 month backlog due to covid) and resisting arrest in the moment were all misdemeanor charges. Unfortunately, a young man is dead and his kid is without a father. For 4 misdemeanors. To the bolded, I don't recall any convictions on his extensive rap sheet.

Did he drive "without plates?" Expired registration or no plates affixed to the vehicle? How does either of those "put other citizens at risk?" What assumption was it that he "possibly had a gun?" from the previous charge? Was one found in his possession before, during or after he was shot? Or any weapon for that matter?

Same old, same old. Cops did no wrong, put the dead person's character on trial and just comply. Potter gets her day in court, probably some free, top notch legal representation, maybe serves two to four years and rides off to retirement. Mr. Wright is dead. "Equal justice under the law," huh?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:

Police CAN use force

So you’re blaming the cops that the kid resisted? What are they supposed to do, tackle and stun gun everyone they arrest just in case they will try to break free and run?
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,802
    edited April 2021
    tbergs said:

That’s my point about Black leaders meeting us halfway in this case. This is not the time to be screaming Potter is a racist murderer. Anyone who watched that video should be able to understand her mistake, considering she just learned Wright had a gun crime on his record and he initiated illegal force against her

Wright put himself in this position by breaking the law multiple times. A Black leader needs to tell his people, “hey this unfortunate incident was partially caused by a young man and the dangerous decisions he made over the course of two years. And let’s have a moment of silence for all of the White victims of police murder, who outnumber black victims two to one.”

https://news.northeastern.edu/2020/07/16/the-research-is-clear-white-people-are-not-more-likely-than-black-people-to-be-killed-by-police/

Overall, close to 1,000 people are shot to death by police officers in the U.S. every year, according to a database maintained by The Washington Post. It is true that a majority of those victims are white people.

“That’s only because there are so many more white people than there are Black people in our country,” says Miller, a professor of health sciences and epidemiology who has been researching injury and violence prevention for two decades.

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:

Police CAN use force

So you’re blaming the cops that the kid resisted? What are they supposed to do, tackle and stun gun everyone they arrest just in case they will try to break free and run?
    No.

I'm blaming the cops for their inability to control or de-escalate the situation. 
  • Options

I disagree that Floyd respected the authority and did it right. What happened to him absolutely was wrong. Chauvan deserves to be on trial. But this wasn’t a case of Floyd complying and doing everything right and being killed either. He wound on on the ground because he refused to get in the car, and kicked his way out once he was dragged in.
    Before the usuals jump in and say that doesn’t make murder right. That’s true. I’m not defending what the police did after he kicked his way out of the car. I just disagree that this is a case where he complied, did everything right, and was murdered anyway. Here’s a clip closer to the beginning that wasn’t shown as often as the knee on the neck portion. Clearly refusing to get in, then kicks his way out.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=Apuhj_G90QQ

I’ve also said before it’s a dangerous narrative. Your last point might be right. That they have a better chance if they fight. But you are 10,000 times more likely for it to end better for you if you don’t (warning: made up stat for those who like to ask for links on everything.) . Selling that narrative is dangerous and getting people killed. Not that you are, but the media and others are.
  • Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,071
    Stop saying “blacks.”
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    vant0037 said:
    Stop saying “blacks.”
    So should it be changed to something other than "Black History Month"? I mean, it seems white people are experts on all things related to other races, or at least think they are.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,760
    tbergs said:
    vant0037 said:
    Stop saying “blacks.”
    So should it be changed to something other than "Black History Month"? I mean, it seems white people are experts on all things related to other races, or at least think they are.
    Reminds me of TO 2016 Betterman rant. 
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    vant0037 said:
    Stop saying “blacks.”
    https://www.africanamericanhistorymonth.gov/
This discussion has been closed.