Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,552
    imalive said:

I actually forgot about the tenclub tickets. So I then had 8 of us on a reserved list for a club suite that was supposed to be released prior to the general sale yesterday.... and, of course, it wasn't so that fell through. So ended up with tickets behind the stage for the Thursday show and nothing yet for the Friday one. Gonna have to grossly overpay I guess. Awesome.

hmmmm....10c for thursday and 109 and 123 for friday for this out of towner.

look for me in a SF cap.
    The really old dude in the SF hat, right?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,311
    so red uni's for weekday day games. they didn't look too bad.
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    what do you think the rankings are of philly teams closest to winning it all?

mine...

flyers
    sixers
    phillies
    eagles

I love the direction of the first two and I think the second two are going nowhere fast
  • Options
    The Fixer said:

mine...

flyers
    sixers
    phillies
    eagles

I love the direction of the first two and I think the second two are going nowhere fast

Flyers
    Phillies
    Eagles
    Sixers

probably the two easiest to become a contender are hockey and baseball. Flyers with Ghost and Phils have the best younger players/prospects. Eagles need a QB and the Sixers are light years away from being decent let along a contender for a title. Would love to know who you think the Sixers star is going to be that makes them a title contender in the next 5-7 years.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    pjhawks said:

The Fixer said:

mine...

flyers
    sixers
    phillies
    eagles

Flyers
    Phillies
    Eagles
    Sixers

probably the two easiest to become a contender are hockey and baseball. Flyers with Ghost and Phils have the best younger players/prospects. Eagles need a QB and the Sixers are light years away from being decent let along a contender for a title. Would love to know who you think the Sixers star is going to be that makes them a title contender in the next 5-7 years.
    NHL isn't easy to turnaround anymore since the implementation of the salary cap -- which is why I love what hextall has done. Really hope they can trim some fat again at the trade deadline this year and get rid of read, streit, umberger. Konecy has been lighting it up in the minors...really looking forward to him coming up in the next year or two...and they have a ton of dman prospects. Flyers are without question the closest team to competing for anything.

Sixers star could be embiid...or simmons/ingram depending on how the ping pong balls go. They have a ton of assets. I know the phillies are getting the publicity right now, but I think the sixers have a much more positive future outlook than the phils do (assuming the 900 year old VP doesn't ruin things). The Phillies have one potential star and then a bunch of role players. I think it's funny that guys like appel and quinn are being ranked in the top 100. Just goes to show that those prospect rankings really don't mean much. Then you have the MacFail factor -- he's not good at his job...never has been. The phils lack top of the rotation options and their position prospects are more average starters than star players (based on what I have been reading for the past few years). IMO, their system is much more quantity than quality, which is an improvement from where it was three years ago, but that's not saying much. Combine the false excitement over their farm system with the state of their divisional opponents (and their respective systems) and I'm not buying the phils rebuild.

The Eagles are definitely a distant fourth. No QB (even if they overpay for bradford, who isn't good), no secondary, no Oline, no WRs, no second round pick this year...and their front office is in flux. Other than that they're in great shape. Thanks Chip, you loser.
    Post edited by The Fixer on
  • Options
    The Fixer said:

pjhawks said:

The Fixer said:

mine...

flyers
    sixers
    phillies
    eagles

Flyers
    Phillies
    Eagles
    Sixers

NHL isn't easy to turnaround anymore since the implementation of the salary cap -- which is why I love what hextall has done. Really hope they can trim some fat again at the trade deadline this year and get rid of read, streit, umberger. Konecy has been lighting it up in the minors...really looking forward to him coming up in the next year or two...and they have a ton of dman prospects. Flyers are without question the closest team to competing for anything.

Sixers star could be embiid...or simmons/ingram depending on how the ping pong balls go. They have a ton of assets. I know the phillies are getting the publicity right now, but I think the sixers have a much more positive future outlook than the phils do (assuming the 900 year old VP doesn't ruin things). The Phillies have one potential star and then a bunch of role players. I think it's funny that guys like appel and quinn are being ranked in the top 100. Just goes to show that those prospect rankings really don't mean much. Then you have the MacFail factor -- he's not good at his job...never has been. The phils lack top of the rotation options and their position prospects are more average starters than star players (based on what I have been reading for the past few years). IMO, their system is much more quantity than quality, which is an improvement from where it was three years ago, but that's not saying much. Combine the false excitement over their farm system with the state of their divisional opponents (and their respective systems) and I'm not buying the phils rebuild.

The Eagles are definitely a distant fourth. No QB (even if they overpay for bradford, who isn't good), no secondary, no Oline, no WRs, no second round pick this year...and their front office is in flux. Other than that they're in great shape. Thanks Chip, you loser.
    agree on the Phils prospects but baseball is the one sport where you can still trade and/or sign very good to great players. If the current prospects can get them to above average or good you can always get another star or two which makes the jump to contender much easier than other sports.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,696

imalive said:

I actually forgot about the tenclub tickets. So I then had 8 of us on a reserved list for a club suite that was supposed to be released prior to the general sale yesterday.... and, of course, it wasn't so that fell through. So ended up with tickets behind the stage for the Thursday show and nothing yet for the Friday one. Gonna have to grossly overpay I guess. Awesome.

hmmmm....10c for thursday and 109 and 123 for friday for this out of towner.

look for me in a SF cap.
    The really old dude in the SF hat, right?
    that's me. from behind the stage, you'll be able to see me head on.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,663

USS United States looks to be headed up to NYC.

I thought that was already happening? I know there was word to have some New Year's Eve party there, but it fell through.

I like the Google nerd hire, but I gotta figure there's someone out there in baseball-land with more researched-based experience with an actual baseball (yes, I know he worked for the Mets and the Commissioner's Office) background.

On a related note, the hire of that Lewis Pollis kid is more under the radar, and I think they should keep that guy around for a long time - very, very smart kid.
    they were begging for money recently and there has always been talk of developers up there being interested, but sounds like it is actually happening this time. I like the ship and am glad it is being saved but also very glad it won't be sitting there anymore looking like that. It also has zero history here so it doesn't really belong here...

USS United States looks to be headed up to NYC.

I thought that was already happening? I know there was word to have some New Year's Eve party there, but it fell through.

I like the Google nerd hire, but I gotta figure there's someone out there in baseball-land with more researched-based experience with an actual baseball (yes, I know he worked for the Mets and the Commissioner's Office) background.

On a related note, the hire of that Lewis Pollis kid is more under the radar, and I think they should keep that guy around for a long time - very, very smart kid.
    they were begging for money recently and there has always been talk of developers up there being interested, but sounds like it is actually happening this time. I like the ship and am glad it is being saved but also very glad it won't be sitting there anymore looking like that. It also has zero history here so it doesn't really belong here...
    So some cruise company wants the USS United States to sail again, but is going to pay for the docking and all for a 9 month study into the feasibility with an option to buy it. So yeah, no change and it's not going anywhere anytime soon.
  • Options
    Anyone put in for Fenway?
  • Options

even though stadium shows suck ass I think I'm going to. Would be a cool weekend trip.

Not expecting to win tix, but just feel like I have to try
  • Options
    The Fixer said:

even though stadium shows suck ass I think I'm going to. Would be a cool weekend trip.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Not really concerned about how good the show is or anything. Figure I put in for tickets and if I get them great, if not, whatever. Would be a fun weekend.

Wife and I may make it part of a NE vacation if I end up with tickets, which would be cool.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

The Fixer said:

Yeah, that's what I figured. Not really concerned about how good the show is or anything. Figure I put in for tickets and if I get them great, if not, whatever. Would be a fun weekend.

Wife and I may make it part of a NE vacation if I end up with tickets, which would be cool.
    yeah, we will see what happens with the drawing. went 1 for 5 on the last drawing (also know as pulling a ryan howard). since I don't care if I end up with fenway tickets I'm sure I will win one of these shows. haha
  • Options
    The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

yeah, we will see what happens with the drawing. went 1 for 5 on the last drawing (also know as pulling a ryan howard). since I don't care if I end up with fenway tickets I'm sure I will win one of these shows. haha
    As always, hotels are insane in Boston that weekend..
  • Options

The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

that's where I take advantage of hotel and credit card points. perks of my job
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,792

The Fixer said:

That's the way to do it. Hitting up a few spots in DC, Virgina, and NC over a week with the wife with a couple of PJ shows sprinkled in the middle.
  • Options
    The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

Without even looking I already know that any Marriott in Boston is going to be 40k points per night, minimum. Just burned through a bunch in California so definitely don't have that left.

Airbnb has some pretty good options and the wife works with a ton of hotels there so we'll figure it out if we get tickets. That fucking city is just so expensive
  • Options
    edited February 2016

The Fixer said:

That's the way to do it. Hitting up a few spots in DC, Virgina, and NC over a week with the wife with a couple of PJ shows sprinkled in the middle.

The Fixer said:

Nice. That's sweet. I'd like to get to more of Virginia. Asheville, NC is very high on my list but it's such a hike.

Thinking if we end up with tickets, we'd probably do Boston, Providence and either head up to New Hampshire or Maine.
  • Options

The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

Without even looking I already know that any Marriott in Boston is going to be 40k points per night, minimum. Just burned through a bunch in California so definitely don't have that left.

Airbnb has some pretty good options and the wife works with a ton of hotels there so we'll figure it out if we get tickets. That fucking city is just so expensive
    couple of years ago I switched allegiances from marriott to hilton.

I'm not expecting to win tix, so prob all a moot point anyway
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329

The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

Never been to Boston, but the subway seems to extend put. My plan is to maybe stay near a train line a few miles outside of downtown. Rates are more my speed
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    edited February 2016

The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

Never been to Boston, but the subway seems to extend put. My plan is to maybe stay near a train line a few miles outside of downtown. Rates are more my speed
    I was in Boston twice a month for about 4 years. Prices are crazy, almost always. The T can be pretty convenient, haven't taken the subway too much, just from Cambridge into Boston, but the trolley(?) that gets to Fenway that I took can be a bit of a pain in the ass. Granted I have only done that a couple times, it was rush hour and was coming from Cambridge, so not sure if there is a different public transportation coming from other areas that's better.

I have stayed in Waltham and and Newton a lot, both a huge hike, but much more reasonable. Assume you don't want to be that far out though. Cambridge which has some decent priced Airbnb's is also a good option, though.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    hotels are pretty expensive up there. which means I am guaranteed pj tix
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    really struggling with my super bowl betting selection. usually I have my bet locked in by now. keep flip flopping...cannot make up my mind

hawks, you're never right about anything. let me know who you like so I can take the opposite.
  • Options
    The Fixer said:

really struggling with my super bowl betting selection. usually I have my bet locked in by now. keep flip flopping...cannot make up my mind

hawks, you're never right about anything. let me know who you like so I can take the opposite.

let's see just off the top of my head; Jeff Carter (still scoring goals by the way), Sam Hinkie, Chip Kelly,. Paul Holmgren - I'd say my track record is pretty damn good. And 3 out of those 4 you were blatantly wrong about.

and I like Carolina about 21-6. I think this game is going to suck. At least one of the defenses will dominate. I can't see Denver moving the ball much.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

The Fixer said:

let's see just off the top of my head; Jeff Carter (still scoring goals by the way), Sam Hinkie, Chip Kelly,. Paul Holmgren - I'd say my track record is pretty damn good. And 3 out of those 4 you were blatantly wrong about.

and I like Carolina about 21-6. I think this game is going to suck. At least one of the defenses will dominate. I can't see Denver moving the ball much.
    nice to see you're still delusional

the carter stuff is especially hilarious. you must have forgotten what the flyers got in return for that scrub
  • Options
    The Fixer said:

pjhawks said:

The Fixer said:

the carter stuff is especially hilarious. you must have forgotten what the flyers got in return for that scrub
    yea they got a $68 million guy with a whopping 8 fucking goals this year. Since the trade Carter has been a key player (including leading goal scorer in one playoff year) of 2 (and counting) Stanley Cup Champions and a Canadian Olympic Gold Medal winner and still plays major 2nd line minutes for a great Kings team while getting pretty much the same average ice team that Voracek gets for the Flyers and has almost identical stats. Love the stubborness but come on just admit you were wrong about Carter. It's pretty fucking clear.
  • Options
    So looks like we are doing Fenway regardless. The wife wants to turn that into a vacation so we'll be taking a week, hitting up one of the shows then heading to a couple spots in New England. Pretty pumped now.,
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    pjhawks said:

you're the best

still undisputed and undefeated with everything ever
  • Options
    The Fixer said:

pjhawks said:

you're the best

I didn't think denver's defense was that good
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    pjhawks said:

The Fixer said:

pjhawks said:

The Fixer said:

yea they got a $68 million guy with a whopping 8 fucking goals this year. Since the trade Carter has been a key player (including leading goal scorer in one playoff year) of 2 (and counting) Stanley Cup Champions and a Canadian Olympic Gold Medal winner and still plays major 2nd line minutes for a great Kings team while getting pretty much the same average ice team that Voracek gets for the Flyers and has almost identical stats. Love the stubborness but come on just admit you were wrong about Carter. It's pretty fucking clear.
    the flyers didn't trade carter to the kings. flyers also didn't trade carter for voracek straight up.

man you are bad at this game. the carter trade was one of the most lopsided in flyers history...in the flyers favor

• Options

The Fixer said:

pjhawks said:

you're the best

I didn't think denver's defense was that good
    it's not. panther were sloppy as hell. tolbert had what, 3 carries and fumbled on two of them. lot of drops.

everything denver needed to happen happened. just like the opposite of pjhawks predicted. which is always what happens