Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258

Ms. Haiku said:

Philadelphia residents - do you use public transportation? Any suggestions for getting around Philadelphia during the day?

Any knitters - favorite shop in Philadelphia?

You would think asking a sports thread for their favorite knitting shop would be unreliable, but think not! The Lady is a huge knitter. I know she used to be a fan of Loop between 19th & 20th on South Street. And some other place on South further down around 8th called Nangelini but I think they closed.

We now live down by East Passyunk, and there's a bunch of small stores between, like, Mifflin and Tasker on Passyunk that have that stuff as well.

I know too much about yarn.
    Awesome!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Do any of you Philly folk have any info on a pre-sale?
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,837

Do any of you Philly folk have any info on a pre-sale?

Ya mean pre-sale via the Wells Fargo site? Unfortunately not. First, that website is bruuuutal for getting tickets. And I, too, have been scouring the interwebs for a promo code to put in there.

Other than that, I'm waiting till Friday at noon for public onsale time. Thing is I feel good knowing I only need to get tix for Thursday night, which I think (hope) will be in less demand.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,561

This is pretty much a pointless conversation but golf is great. I have two hobbies that I will have for the rest of my life and hope to share if I have kids one day. Golf and cooking.

Can't see anything better than having something active that you enjoy doing, can always work on getting better at and can do for the rest of your life.

bingo
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Shit I didn't realize one of these shows is the same day as that '03 Spectrum show. Fuck me does time fly...

4/28/03....hell of a day. birds resigned dawkins during middle of the tailgate too. good times.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Shit I didn't realize one of these shows is the same day as that '03 Spectrum show. Fuck me does time fly...

4/28/03....hell of a day. birds resigned dawkins during middle of the tailgate too. good times.
    I don't think a Philly venue has ever been louder than that night - louder than 10/30/09 at the Spectrum I'd say.
  • Options
    http://www.phillyvoice.com/phils-hires-new-front-office-member-away-google/

Phils hire new front office member away from Google

By Ryan Lawrence
    PhillyVoice Staff

The evolving Phillies front office has landed a new employee from one of the world’s most successful tech companies.

The team announced on Thursday that it has hired Andy Galdi to be the director of baseball research & development. Galdi spent the last three years working at Google, where he served as a quantitative analyst for YouTube, according to the Phillies press release.

The 30-year-old Galdi has worked in baseball before: he spent the 2009 season as a baseball operations intern for the New York Mets. Galdi also worked for two years in the NBA’s commissioner’s office as a statistical analyst.

Galdi graduated from the University of North Carolina with a double major in business administration and mathematics and earned his master’s degree in statistics from Stanford University in 2013.

Galdi is the third member of Phillies baseball operations staff added since the offseason, joining vice president and general manager Matt Klentak and assistant GM Ned Rice.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,664
    USS United States looks to be headed up to NYC.
  • Options

I thought that was already happening? I know there was word to have some New Year's Eve party there, but it fell through.

I like the Google nerd hire, but I gotta figure there's someone out there in baseball-land with more researched-based experience with an actual baseball (yes, I know he worked for the Mets and the Commissioner's Office) background.

On a related note, the hire of that Lewis Pollis kid is more under the radar, and I think they should keep that guy around for a long time - very, very smart kid.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

I thought that was already happening? I know there was word to have some New Year's Eve party there, but it fell through.

I like the Google nerd hire, but I gotta figure there's someone out there in baseball-land with more researched-based experience with an actual baseball (yes, I know he worked for the Mets and the Commissioner's Office) background.

On a related note, the hire of that Lewis Pollis kid is more under the radar, and I think they should keep that guy around for a long time - very, very smart kid.
    they were begging for money recently and there has always been talk of developers up there being interested, but sounds like it is actually happening this time. I like the ship and am glad it is being saved but also very glad it won't be sitting there anymore looking like that. It also has zero history here so it doesn't really belong here...
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    I'd say confidence level is high to score tix via the public sale for night 1, yes? I'd think so.
  • Options

I'd say confidence level is high to score tix via the public sale for night 1, yes? I'd think so.

I'd agree. More will want the Friday show (night 2)...I need Friday. I'm not so confident today, but confident I'll be there. Always seem to be uppers behind the stage available.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    edited January 2016

I'd agree. More will want the Friday show (night 2)...I need Friday. I'm not so confident today, but confident I'll be there. Always seem to be uppers behind the stage available.
    There are a ton of tickets available. They haven't been allowed to even release any tickets to brokers yet so pretty much every seat outside of ten club tickets is available. I'm working with a broker for a group of tickets and he says he the box office can't release them to him until noon, which is also why there isn't one ticket on StubHub yet.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    Fuck yeah, fellas. Just got pumped for these shows
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Baseball Prospectus Top 100 prospect list is out. Phils have 6 young bucks on it. Only Colorado has more.

4. J.P. Crawford, SS
    25. Nick Williams, OF
    34. Jake Thompson, RHP
    64. Mark Appel, RHP
    70. Jorge Alfaro, C
    95. Franklyn Kilome, RHP

Four acquired within the last 6 months or so. Not bad.
    Onward and upward. Go Phils.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

You were able to grab enough for your group? Both nights or you hitting only one?
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    most in baseball in this one---

http://www.thegoodphight.com/2016/1/30/10875630/phillies-land-7-on-mlb-pipelines-top-100-prospects
    Phillies land 7 on MLB Pipeline's Top 100 prospects

By John Stolnis

More proof the Phils' minor league system is better than it's been in a long, long time.

A few days ago, Baseball Prospectus released their Top 101 prospects for 2016, and six Phillies were present on that list.

That's pretty damn impressive. I mean, it was just last year the Phils were lucky to have three guys in most teams top 100s.

Of course, these lists are primarily just for our amusement, but these rankings of prospects are what the public sees, and so they go a long way in influencing public perception.

On Friday night, MLB.com Pipeline released their Top 100 for 2016, and wouldn't you know, the Phillies did even better.

Phillies have 7 prospects in @MLBPipeline Top 100, more than any team in baseball. https://t.co/8kBFFDwfzu pic.twitter.com/xTEUuSFoMW
    — Todd Zolecki (@ToddZolecki) January 30, 2016

You know most of the names by now, but just for the sake of fun, here is the rundown.

#5 - J.P. Crawford (SS)

#55 - Jake Thompson (SP)

#64 - Nick Williams (OF)

#70 - Mark Appel (SP)

#84 - Cornelius Randolph (OF)

#96 - Jorge Alfaro (C)

#99 - Roman Quinn (OF)

Three of these prospects, Thompson, Williams and Alfaro, came to the Phillies in the Cole Hamels trade, while one of the others, former No. 1 overall pick Mark Appel, came over in the trade of Ken Giles.

The Phils' top prospect, Crawford, was the team's first pick (16th overall) in the 2013 draft. He's expected to be on the big league club at some point later this year.

Perhaps the most surprising player on the list is center fielder Roman Quinn. He had a terrific season for Reading last year, batting .305/.356/.435 with a .791 OPS. He had six doubles, six triples and 29 stolen bases in just 58 games before missing the rest of the season with a torn left hip flexor.

Missing from this list is pitching prospect Franklin Kilome, who was featured in Baseball Prospectus' Top 101. Quinn was not on this list. And MLB is also lower on many of the Phils' prospects that BP was.

Player BP Rank MLB Rank
    J.P. Crawford 4 5
    Nick Williams 25 64
    Jake Thompson 34 55
    Mark Appel 64 70
    Jorge Alfaro 70 96
    Franklin Kilome 95 N/A
    Roman Quinn N/A 99

Here are some thoughts from Jonathan Mayo of MLB Pipeline on their rankings of Phils players.

I see him more in 2017; Crawford could be up this year, tho no need to rush either #Top100Prospects https://t.co/25Zsw0y0ku
    — Jonathan Mayo (@JonathanMayo) January 30, 2016

Like him a lot. Want to see what he does in full season... could jump on this list in a year for sure https://t.co/WbN2m0Uc18

Still has ceiling, but will he reach it? Needs to trust his stuff and pitch. No. 2 tops, No. 3 #Top100Prospects https://t.co/Rtf5qQQxAG

I think he has that kind of upside, yes #Top100Prospects https://t.co/NQgVpgYcZG

Alfaro hasn't consistently used his tools on the field. Williams took big step fwd for sure #Top100Prospects https://t.co/bB8bcOBq2h

In short, Mayo and the folks at MLB pipeline are taking a wait and see approach with guys like Alfaro and Kilome, and for some reason, they are not as optimistic on Williams as most other folks seem to be.

We will still get to see Baseball America's and ESPN Keith Law's Top 100s at some point in the next few weeks, which will give everyone a better sense where the Phils' prospects stand across the industry.

But know this. This farm system is a Top-5 system in Major League Baseball, which is exactly what you want when you're rebuilding.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I actually forgot about the tenclub tickets. So I then had 8 of us on a reserved list for a club suite that was supposed to be released prior to the general sale yesterday.... and, of course, it wasn't so that fell through. So ended up with tickets behind the stage for the Thursday show and nothing yet for the Friday one. Gonna have to grossly overpay I guess. Awesome.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Yeah, man. Looking forward to it.

I got Sec 123 for Night 1 and Pit for Night 2; taking off Friday. Giddy like a schoolgirl.

I have a feeling these shows are going to be bubbling energy since they're pretty much the only weekend shows of this tour in a major city.

Also, I didn't realize they plan on doing something for a 25th anniversary. Does this mean we're going back to Fuckin' Wisconsin?
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,792

I was already really pumped for Hampton/Raleigh and then yesterday I pulled a pair on TM for MSG night 2. Will be nice to check off PJ at the Garden from the bucket list. Can't fucking wait.
  • Options

I actually forgot about the tenclub tickets. So I then had 8 of us on a reserved list for a club suite that was supposed to be released prior to the general sale yesterday.... and, of course, it wasn't so that fell through. So ended up with tickets behind the stage for the Thursday show and nothing yet for the Friday one. Gonna have to grossly overpay I guess. Awesome.

Yeah, nothing was released prior to the on sale. My guy couldn't come through for a group yet either but said he'll be in touch on Monday. It's a really tough ticket. I am in 205 but low down on Thursday and am behind the stage on Friday. Stubhub prices are pretty crazy right now. Just happy to be in the building I guess.

Taking the day off Friday and plan on having a solid tailgate starting as early as possible
  • Options

I was already really pumped for Hampton/Raleigh and then yesterday I pulled a pair on TM for MSG night 2. Will be nice to check off PJ at the Garden from the bucket list. Can't fucking wait.
    That's sweet. I gotta figure out if I'm doing one of the msg shows or Raleigh.
  • Options

Yeah, man. Looking forward to it.

I got Sec 123 for Night 1 and Pit for Night 2; taking off Friday. Giddy like a schoolgirl.

I have a feeling these shows are going to be bubbling energy since they're pretty much the only weekend shows of this tour in a major city.

Also, I didn't realize they plan on doing something for a 25th anniversary. Does this mean we're going back to Fuckin' Wisconsin?
    Fuckin Wisconsin. Can we get Gary busey to drive our bus again?
  • Options
    Ha! Forgot about him.

I'm torn on what to do for Friday - full-on tailgate in the parking lot or drag an Acme bag of beers down to FDR. It's pretty awesome being able to walk to the complex if I want to.
  • Options
    There's a new Giants and Yankees fan in souf philly

• Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

This is pretty much a pointless conversation but golf is great. I have two hobbies that I will have for the rest of my life and hope to share if I have kids one day. Golf and cooking.

Can't see anything better than having something active that you enjoy doing, can always work on getting better at and can do for the rest of your life.

bingo
    you can say that about any hobby or anything that you do in life. unless you are perfect at everything, which would be amazing
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Ha! Forgot about him.

I'm torn on what to do for Friday - full-on tailgate in the parking lot or drag an Acme bag of beers down to FDR. It's pretty awesome being able to walk to the complex if I want to.

I forgot about that crazy bus driver. haha

the best was the score we made at the crackhead bar on the first night. along with our monster tab that we ran up
    Post edited by The Fixer on
  • Options

Yeah, nothing was released prior to the on sale. My guy couldn't come through for a group yet either but said he'll be in touch on Monday. It's a really tough ticket. I am in 205 but low down on Thursday and am behind the stage on Friday. Stubhub prices are pretty crazy right now. Just happy to be in the building I guess.

Taking the day off Friday and plan on having a solid tailgate starting as early as possible
    let me know if you end up hitting raleigh. Me and Indifference have a pretty big group in GA for that show.

have tix for all of the philly and msg shows (thanks to indifference on monday) except for sunday. MSG prices are silly, but thanks to the cfb/nfl playoffs my bookie is nice enough to fund my spring concert tour. gonna be a busy spring...new orleans trip, 5 pj shows, 3 dr dog shows, and probably 2 springsteen shows (penn st and baltimore go on sale this week). Life is good
  • Options
    The Fixer said:

Ha! Forgot about him.

I forgot about that crazy bus driver. haha

the best was the score we made at the crackhead bar on the first night. along with our monster tab that we ran up
    Haha, speaking of, my cousin who lives in Oshkosh (or whatever the fuck it's called) brought Cow's Blood home for the holidays to drink. I'm sitting there drinking the bottle and staring at the cow on the bottle....."Holy shit! Bill, this is Cow's Blood!" - hence, they all looked at me like I was nuts.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,699

hmmmm....10c for thursday and 109 and 123 for friday for this out of towner.

look for me in a SF cap.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14