Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,200

can i get back on the bandwagon? ;)

Swept the Brewers? :-O

so that was the first time in MLB that a last place team swept a 4 game series against a first place team? image

nice win tonight too
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,442
    Ken Giles is the 4th Phillies pitcher ever with shutout appearances in at least 12 of his first 13 career games (requiring 13+ innings).
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,200
    not a good way to end he first half of the season but than again it it the Phills image
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,642
    Wanted Argentina today but the US lost to the World Cup champs by a goal
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,277
    edited July 2014

L-)

was glad the game didn't go to penalty kicks today. would have been a joke if Argentina won in penalty picks and won the World Cup without scoring a goal in the semi's or finals. Hell of a goal though.

and if you don't score a goal in the knockout round how can you get best player in the tournament?
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

L-)

was glad the game didn't go to penalty kicks today. would have been a joke if Argentina won in penalty picks and won the World Cup without scoring a goal in the semi's or finals. Hell of a goal though.

and if you don't score a goal in the knockout round how can you get best player in the tournament?
    There is nothing worse than awarding th biggest trophy in sports on skills compeition. Tied after 9 in game 7 of the World Series? Let's go to a home run derby. Super Bowl tied? Let's have the qbs throw footballs through a tire. Awful. I have always said, take a player off every 10 minutes and go till someone scores.

I don't get the messi player of the tournament, at all. He should have buried one today.

It was a beautiful goal. Perfect cross and two perfect touches. Dude never has to pay for a beer again
  • Options
  • Options
    not at all Cliffy. actually think it was a good article. I do think a lot of academic pressure in this country is way out of whack and i think there is way too much sports pressure at too young of an age. academically unless you are one of the very top percent where you go to school isn't going to make that huge of a difference in the long term so go somewhere you are comfortable and can have a measure of success. when it comes to sports there is way too much emphasis at a younger age on performance, playing time and yes winning. we don't spend nearly enough time on skill development in this country (one of the main reasons why i think 12 years is way too optimistic to think we are going to compete at the highest world cup level). way too many travel teams, games and tournaments when skills would be much better served with more practices. to me about the age of 14 is when winning should start to take precedent although even that is kind of an arbitrary number because to me it depends on the circumstances. that is about the age when the kids with real ability will continue on and the ones without will fall by the way side. that being said not everyone should get a trophy or play equal amount of times either. the biggest thing that gets lost when giving everyone a trophy and not having cuts is the knowledge that you are going to fail and have missteps in life. there is nothing wrong with learning that life isn't always going to be sunny days. when you give everyone a trophy all along you end up with a generation that feels entitled to things which is what we currently have in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    pjhawks said:

not at all Cliffy. actually think it was a good article. I do think a lot of academic pressure in this country is way out of whack and i think there is way too much sports pressure at too young of an age. academically unless you are one of the very top percent where you go to school isn't going to make that huge of a difference in the long term so go somewhere you are comfortable and can have a measure of success. when it comes to sports there is way too much emphasis at a younger age on performance, playing time and yes winning. we don't spend nearly enough time on skill development in this country (one of the main reasons why i think 12 years is way too optimistic to think we are going to compete at the highest world cup level). way too many travel teams, games and tournaments when skills would be much better served with more practices. to me about the age of 14 is when winning should start to take precedent although even that is kind of an arbitrary number because to me it depends on the circumstances. that is about the age when the kids with real ability will continue on and the ones without will fall by the way side. that being said not everyone should get a trophy or play equal amount of times either. the biggest thing that gets lost when giving everyone a trophy and not having cuts is the knowledge that you are going to fail and have missteps in life. there is nothing wrong with learning that life isn't always going to be sunny days. when you give everyone a trophy all along you end up with a generation that feels entitled to things which is what we currently have in my opinion.
    Damn. And agreed for the most part. I don't know how I feel about cuts and when they should start. Feel like it depends on the league situation.

Not to get completely back into the soccer thing but you are right, soccer in the US does need to change the structure of youth development. There are way too many different leagues, associations, for profit, non profit, etc. all with different goals. That said, I don't think it's going to be American youth that gets us where we want to be in the near term. It's guys like Green, Zelalem, Brooks and guys that are foreign born but eligible for the US team. I do think for sustained success we obviously need better youth development, which is a major part of what Klinsman is tasked with in his new title of Technical Director.

Who gives everyone a trophy? The only time I remember that was like YMCA basketball and I was like 8. I feel like that is a cliche.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    yeah the only time i hear about everyone getting a trophy is when pjhawks mentions it.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

yeah the only time i hear about everyone getting a trophy is when pjhawks mentions it.

it's not a literal thing. when I say everyone gets a trophy I talk about having an A-Team, B-team and C-team so no one gets cut. it's about not keeping score or not having kids strikeout. it's about giving out ribbons to every participant in a science fair. it's about let's give johnny an award at this assembly because he hasn't gotten one this year. it's about passing kids through because no one wants to tell a kid he needs to be better. it's about an entitled generation who thinks they should walk out of college into a high paying job without having to do grunt work and earning their way up. in my opinion we've become a society where constructive criticism is no longer a valid thing because we've taught a whole generation we won't criticize them because it might hurt their feelings. we treat everyone today as they are weak and can't handle negative comments or negative thoughts. so that's just my real world take on things.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

it's not a literal thing. when I say everyone gets a trophy I talk about having an A-Team, B-team and C-team so no one gets cut. it's about not keeping score or not having kids strikeout. it's about giving out ribbons to every participant in a science fair. it's about let's give johnny an award at this assembly because he hasn't gotten one this year. it's about passing kids through because no one wants to tell a kid he needs to be better. it's about an entitled generation who thinks they should walk out of college into a high paying job without having to do grunt work and earning their way up. in my opinion we've become a society where constructive criticism is no longer a valid thing because we've taught a whole generation we won't criticize them because it might hurt their feelings. we treat everyone today as they are weak and can't handle negative comments or negative thoughts. so that's just my real world take on things.
    I have never experienced any of this and I feel like every generation ever has said the same thing about the generation after them
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    There is definitely some truth to the everyone gets a trophy talk. My son is 12 now but from the ages 5-10 he did get a participation trophy in every sport, except for football. We lived in 2 different towns during that time and they both did it. It started on the younger side with the end of the season pizza party where every kid got a trophy. Then when he was 10 they had playoffs, with 1st and 2nd place trophies, but still received a participation trophy on top of that. We even had a fun fishing contest at our local park and every kid that signed up received a trophy with a fish on it. I only recall getting a trophy when we won the championship back in the day.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,618
    when I was a kid, we all got trophies, but the championship team would get bigger trophies.

But we would definitely keep score and winning was important to us, which made it fun.
    Now I guess early-on, they dont even keep score?

• Options
    MayDay10 said:

when I was a kid, we all got trophies, but the championship team would get bigger trophies.

But we would definitely keep score and winning was important to us, which made it fun.
    Now I guess early-on, they dont even keep score?

how old are you?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

no shit? i'm 36 and never realized this happened. do all kids make all star teams now too?

only thing i can remember happening to me was getting screwed over for an all star team in favor of the coach's son, who was terrible. it was the first year kids could pitch, so we were about 9 or 10 years old i guess. i was one of the best players on the team and then i got hurt--this part sucks--we were playing wiffle ball in my backyard with a tennis ball. i wasn't paying attention and someone smacked a line drive right to my nuts....yada yada yada, i had an undescended testicle which required surgery. so i was out a couple weeks and when i came back it hurt to hit right handed so i switched to lefty....and fucking raked! hit the rest of the season as a lefty and was still one of the best players on the team..........but the coach had to pick 3 all stars. the first two were deserving and then instead of me he picked his stupid son. i remember he sat me down and explained that i had the better year but he just couldn't disappoint and embarrass his own son. he was basically apologizing to a 10 year old for being a fucking pussy. i remember my dad leering behind us looking like he wanted to beat the crap out of this guy who was doing his son wrong.

anyway--no "every kid gets a trophy" for me....but this was a good lesson, early on, about how how everything in this world isn't fair and there are gutless pricks who you'll have to deal with at different points in your life.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    The every kids gets a hit and no score keeping only lasted until about 6-7 years old.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    yeah...
    I remember at a young age, there was a "cartel" of fathers who got their sons on one team and they were very dominant for years (always the Yankees). We got the scrubs. This was 6 years old through like 12 (although things evened up a bit by then).

I also got passed on an all-star team once in favor of a coach's son who sucked ass when I was 7 or 8. Dickhead.

But yeah, we all got a trophy of some sort. I liked getting them, although winning was still 100% the most important.

Hockey we would get some sort of trophies/awards too, but it was travel and at an awards banquet after the season.
  • Options
    i think if you made an all star team you got a trophy actually.....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MOTHERFUCKERS. Just got tickets for Neil Young at The Academy of Music.
  • Options
  • Options
    this is sobering article about the r6. he has been dreadful this year. the thing that indicates he's probably done is he's not even hitting fastballs anymore, as he's seen the most he has since 2006. his numbers against righties are down as well. pretty sad--

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20140717_A_problem_for_Sandberg__What_to_do_with_Howard.html
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

this is sobering article about the r6. he has been dreadful this year. the thing that indicates he's probably done is he's not even hitting fastballs anymore, as he's seen the most he has since 2006. his numbers against righties are down as well. pretty sad--

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20140717_A_problem_for_Sandberg__What_to_do_with_Howard.html

" The legs feed the wolf" from the movie "Miracle"

two major surgeries on the legs of a guy now 34 years old. hopefully it's not gone forever but the inclination seems to be that it is. yes you don't want to platoon a guy making $25 million but playing less than every day can only be good for his old legs.
  • Options
    Why give someone a contract 1.5 years early? What would he have gotten on the market with a busted ankle?

Beating a dead horse, I know, but some people liked it
  • Options

Why give someone a contract 1.5 years early? What would he have gotten on the market with a busted ankle?

yea i don't understand the Angels redoing Trout's contract already either :D

Below is a good article from today's Inquirer which pretty much says what a few of us were saying a few years ago when certain people were complaining about a team (and certain players) in the process of winning 90 some games.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20140718_Get_ready_for_bad_old_days_again__Phillies_fans.html
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

Below is a good article from today's Inquirer which pretty much says what a few of us were saying a few years ago when certain people were complaining about a team (and certain players) in the process of winning 90 some games.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20140718_Get_ready_for_bad_old_days_again__Phillies_fans.html
    Yeah, cause those two situations are so similar
  • Options

pjhawks said:

lighten up Francis - it was a joke (see the laughing smiley face).
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

lighten up Francis - it was a joke (see the laughing smiley face).
    Ha fair enough
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited July 2014
    This will be the first year that I don't attend a phils home game since 1987. It's by choice.

Gotta love the Amaro Era. Thank god for 2008 because the chances of this team winning another title in our lifetime are slim to none (barring a sale of the franchise, which isn't happening thanks to the comcast money).

Also, someone above mentioned platooning ryan howard's fat ass (this should have happened 3 years ago). If this franchise had any stones they would cut him. He's a sunk cost. Gillick had the balls to give abreu away for nothing and eat his contract, that's what they need to do with fat boy if they want to start this rebuild.

http://crashburnalley.com/2014/07/15/just-how-bad-is-ryan-howard/
    Post edited by The Fixer on