Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,061

ugly double header.

and how do you top that? get swept by the braves (guess that was payback from the last time)

:(
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    This

Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,244
    didn't want to post this in the soccer thread because i guess some people are really into it BUT can someone tell me why everyone is saying they are 'proud' of the US team? they won 1 out of 4 games. everyone gets a trophy generation i guess [-(
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

didn't want to post this in the soccer thread because i guess some people are really into it BUT can someone tell me why everyone is saying they are 'proud' of the US team? they won 1 out of 4 games. everyone gets a trophy generation i guess [-(

It's relative to the sport. It takes a lot to get to the world cup let alone advance from your group. It's also a USA thing not a typical sports fan thing where there's a title every year.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Is this what the Phillies thread has become? :))
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,625
    edited July 2014
    pjhawks said:

So basically you are too much of a bitch to talk shit to directly to people? You have to hide in the Phillies thread?

Because they played their balls off against the best competition in the world and in case you haven't noticed, we are not exactly a soccer powerhouse. They had a better record in 2010 but played against much worse competition. All 4 teams they played this year are better than the best team they played in 2010. Because they lost their best goal scorer 15 minutes into the tournament and still made it out of the hardest group in the tournament. Because they were down 2-0 against a team with 15 Champions League players (we have 3) and fought like hell to tie the game, but came up short. Because they dominated Portugal. Because some of us played in ODP and have seen soccer come so far in this country that we are getting close to matching up with the best teams on the planet. You don't pick up a soccer ball and become a world power overnight.

Now kindly, go fuck yourself.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options

pjhawks said:

So basically you are too much of a bitch to talk shit to directly to people? You have to hide in the Phillies thread?

Because they played their balls off against the best competition in the world and in case you haven't noticed, we are not exactly a soccer powerhouse. They had a better record in 2010 but played against much worse competition. All 4 teams they played this year are better than the best team they played in 2010. Because they lost their best goal scorer 15 minutes into the tournament and still made it out of the hardest group in the tournament. Because they were down 2-0 against a team with 15 Champions League players (we have 3) and fought like hell to tie the game, but came up short. Because they dominated Portugal. Because some of us played in ODP and have seen soccer come so far in this country that we are getting close to matching up with the best teams on the planet. You don't pick up a soccer ball and become a world power overnight.

Cliffy this is exactly why i didn't post this in the World Cup thread. I know a lot of people care deeply about the World Cup and I wasn't about to piss on them for it just because I am only mildy interested. Good for everyone who is into it and for having such passion. I was just questionning why winning 1 out of 4 games is something to be proud of. i guess in soccer and with today's generation of everyone get a trophy it is. toast them with a fruity beer for winning 1 out of 4 - whoo hooo
    :-S
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,763
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

Cliffy this is exactly why i didn't post this in the World Cup thread. I know a lot of people care deeply about the World Cup and I wasn't about to piss on them for it just because I am only mildy interested. Good for everyone who is into it and for having such passion. I was just questionning why winning 1 out of 4 games is something to be proud of. i guess in soccer and with today's generation of everyone get a trophy it is. toast them with a fruity beer for winning 1 out of 4 - whoo hooo

One of the dumbest and most ignorant things I've ever read on this board. And that's saying something.
  • Options

pjhawks said:

What is ODP?
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Is it ironic that the guy who is basically calling people pussies does so in a completely irrelevant thread where the people he is referring to likely won't see?
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

You are legitimately one of the dumbest human beings I have ever come across.

• Options
    JK_Livin said:

pjhawks said:

What is ODP?
    Olympic Developmental Program. Basically the very early stages of the National Team pool. Every state has a program and there are regional teams as well. I played New York State West.
  • Options

Impressive. I had to mark the other teams best player in high school and that's where my soccer career ended.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

Impressive. I had to mark the other teams best player in high school and that's where my soccer career ended.

ha. yeah. I played division 2 college on scholarship. We weren't very good but we were in the best conference in the country. Southern New Hampshire and Southern Conn are almost always in the National Championship picture. SNH won this past year. Division 2 also doesn't have age restrictions like D1, so the good D2 east coast programs get a lot of Europeans who didn't make it pro in Europe come over in their early 20's.
  • Options
    didn't think asking why a 25% winning percentage was celebration worthy would cause such venom. just...wow.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,613
    He explained it quite well, but the trolling continues.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

Yep.

• Options

MayDay10 said:

Yep.

Exactly. The guy obviously doesn't understand why it's a pretty big deal and you broke it down for him, yet he continues to talk about participation trophies.
  • Options

MayDay10 said:

Yep.

Exactly. The guy obviously doesn't understand why it's a pretty big deal and you broke it down for him, yet he continues to talk about participation trophies.
    were #13
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    pjhawks said:

MayDay10 said:

Yep.

were #13
    FIFA rankings mean almost nothing. What is your point on being #13? Good or bad?
  • Options
    edited July 2014

pjhawks said:

MayDay10 said:

Yep.

were #13
    FIFA rankings mean almost nothing. What is your point on being #13? Good or bad?
    look at this story - some numb nuts set up a petition to change Reagan International Airport to Tim Howard airport. good god usa soccer fans need to get a grip.

http://www2.thepostgame.com/blog/men-action/201407/tim-howard-usa-mens-soccer-team-belgium-fifa-world-cup-ronald-reagan-airport?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl40|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D496794
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

MayDay10 said:

Yep.

were #13
    look at this story - some numb nuts set up a petition to change Reagan International Airport to Tim Howard airport. good god usa soccer fans need to get a grip.

http://www2.thepostgame.com/blog/men-action/201407/tim-howard-usa-mens-soccer-team-belgium-fifa-world-cup-ronald-reagan-airport?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl40|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D496794
    You must be a blast at parties
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

MayDay10 said:

Yep.

were #13

Wow. I think you may need to get a grip. It's obviously a joke and just people's way of showing appreciation for Howard's incredible performance last night.

And like Cliffy said, you must be a real hit at parties.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,061
    back to our losing ways :|
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

MayDay10 said:

Yep.

were #13

yo guys don't be afraid to have a contrary opinion. think for yourselves it really is wonderful. i think it's great to have a beer or six with someone with a contrary opinion. if your parties all have the same personality types and people with the same thoughts and opinions then my friends that is some fucking boring shit.

one thing we can all agree on is how shitty this offense has been. i don't expect it to be great but it shouldn't be this bad.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

MayDay10 said:

Yep.

were #13

yo guys don't be afraid to have a contrary opinion. think for yourselves it really is wonderful. i think it's great to have a beer or six with someone with a contrary opinion. if your parties all have the same personality types and people with the same thoughts and opinions then my friends that is some fucking boring shit.

one thing we can all agree on is how shitty this offense has been. i don't expect it to be great but it shouldn't be this bad.
  • Options

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

MayDay10 said:

Yep.

were #13

that's hilarious coming from a guy who took my opinion about celebrating a 1 win soccer team to that i must be boring at parties. this place makes me laugh.

but hey at least we all found out you played ODP (and what the fuck ODP stood for) because that was important for us all to know. explains a lot though.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

MayDay10 said:

Yep.

were #13

that's hilarious coming from a guy who took my opinion about celebrating a 1 win soccer team to that i must be boring at parties. this place makes me laugh.

but hey at least we all found out you played ODP (and what the fuck ODP stood for) because that was important for us all to know. explains a lot though.
    What the fuck?
  • Options

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

MayDay10 said:

Yep.

were #13

What the fuck?
    you are all over the place. yesterday you were angry and today confused. you sure you are all right man? maybe it's just the heat and humidity.
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Nickelback fan and jeff carters' sloppy seconds.

Yeah, pretty much as expected
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

MayDay10 said:

Yep.

were #13

remember when you defended your sports knowledge by saying you played street hockey? That may have been the funniest shit I have ever heard. So many of us have actually played real sports at levels that you could only dream of...

With your track record on general topics and continual lack of tact I really don't understand how you feel comfortable around here. You literally have NEVER been right on this board. Not once.

Also, ryan howard looks great again this year. You must be so proud
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    The Fixer said:

Nickelback fan and jeff carters' sloppy seconds.

Yeah, pretty much as expected
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

MayDay10 said:

Yep.

were #13

remember when you defended your sports knowledge by saying you played street hockey? That may have been the funniest shit I have ever heard. So many of us have actually played real sports at levels that you could only dream of...

With your track record on general topics and continual lack of tact I really don't understand how you feel comfortable around here. You literally have NEVER been right on this board. Not once.

Also, ryan howard looks great again this year. You must be so proud
    I gave up. When you have to explain a joke as simple as "you must be a blast at parties" to someone because they think it means you don't want to be around someone with different opinions, it's a lost cause. It has nothing to do with that. And just for the sake of defending myself, god know why, you am I could not have any more different political opinions and have always had a blast.

And what the fuck. I mentioned I played odp. So what.

I'm fucked up.

Speaking of soccer. Awesome game starts in 10 hours. Both games tomorrow should be great. Would love to see brazil and Argentina in the finals for the simple fact of how insane it would be.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on