Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,642
    The wolf of Wall Street is the best fucking movie. The things I would do to that chick, in about 10 seconds that is.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,442
    edited July 2014

The wolf of Wall Street is the best fucking movie. The things I would do to that chick, in about 10 seconds that is.

ah, the dutchess......yeah such an awesome movie. can't wait for it to be on regular hbo rotation.

i saw out of the furnace on the plane this week. have you seen it?....it got mixed reviews but i fucking loved it. 'release' fit that movie perfectly...

and with the soccer stuff--cliff, you can't teach stupid. you know this. god knows i've tried. haha. i played in high school but don't really follow the sport much. however the world cup's been real cool to watch. they showed the last US game at the resort i was at this week on a big projection screen tv--people were going nuts. good times.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,277
    The Fixer said:

Nickelback fan and jeff carters' sloppy seconds.

Yeah, pretty much as expected
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

MayDay10 said:

He explained it quite well, but the trolling continues.

Yep.

Exactly. The guy obviously doesn't understand why it's a pretty big deal and you broke it down for him, yet he continues to talk about participation trophies.
    were #13
    FIFA rankings mean almost nothing. What is your point on being #13? Good or bad?
    look at this story - some numb nuts set up a petition to change Reagan International Airport to Tim Howard airport. good god usa soccer fans need to get a grip.

http://www2.thepostgame.com/blog/men-action/201407/tim-howard-usa-mens-soccer-team-belgium-fifa-world-cup-ronald-reagan-airport?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl40|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D496794
    You must be a blast at parties
    yo guys don't be afraid to have a contrary opinion. think for yourselves it really is wonderful. i think it's great to have a beer or six with someone with a contrary opinion. if your parties all have the same personality types and people with the same thoughts and opinions then my friends that is some fucking boring shit.

one thing we can all agree on is how shitty this offense has been. i don't expect it to be great but it shouldn't be this bad.
    that's hilarious coming from a guy who took my opinion about celebrating a 1 win soccer team to that i must be boring at parties. this place makes me laugh.

but hey at least we all found out you played ODP (and what the fuck ODP stood for) because that was important for us all to know. explains a lot though.
    remember when you defended your sports knowledge by saying you played street hockey? That may have been the funniest shit I have ever heard. So many of us have actually played real sports at levels that you could only dream of...

With your track record on general topics and continual lack of tact I really don't understand how you feel comfortable around here. You literally have NEVER been right on this board. Not once.

Also, ryan howard looks great again this year. You must be so proud
    I was right all along about Jeff Carter. so how does that crow taste to you? oh that's right you've shut your fucking trap about him and how you love the position the Flyers organization is in since you were clearly wrong on both counts. awesome.

oh let's not forget just about two weeks ago you said Aaron Gordon wasn't a top 10 pick...and he went 4th. absolutely fucking classic.
  • Options
    I love these philly threads. one guy says a GM of a 19 win team is a genius, another guy says a 1 win soccer team should be applauded, and 4 or 5 guys love the football coach because he has great press conferences. and you try and rip on me. fucking hilarious shit here.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    pjhawks said:

I love these philly threads. one guy says a GM of a 19 win team is a genius, another guy says a 1 win soccer team should be applauded, and 4 or 5 guys love the football coach because he has great press conferences. and you try and rip on me. fucking hilarious shit here.

4-5 people love the coach because of press conferences. hahaha what?...good lord, man. people like him because he turned reid's slop into a 10 win team in his first year.

and why do you always talk about press conferences? what is your fascination with them? it's as lazy as the "throwing snow balls at santa" story. i might be the biggest bill belichek fan outside of the state of massachusetts. so i should know pressers have zero correlation to how good a coach is. zero. why do you care if some people like a coach's personality and some don't? you called kelly a "dick" last year. based off of what? most likely how he presented himself in the media, unless you've met him personally, which you haven't...so that's same exact thing as people coming away with a different perspective on the guy. again ---who.the.fuck.cares.about.this.nonsense?

also--most of the rest of the world is acknowledging the us' performance in brazil. study up on what you're talking about....or, you could just listen to cliff, as he explained it expertly.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,774
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

didn't want to post this in the soccer thread because i guess some people are really into it BUT can someone tell me why everyone is saying they are 'proud' of the US team? they won 1 out of 4 games. everyone gets a trophy generation i guess [-(

So basically you are too much of a bitch to talk shit to directly to people? You have to hide in the Phillies thread?

Because they played their balls off against the best competition in the world and in case you haven't noticed, we are not exactly a soccer powerhouse. They had a better record in 2010 but played against much worse competition. All 4 teams they played this year are better than the best team they played in 2010. Because they lost their best goal scorer 15 minutes into the tournament and still made it out of the hardest group in the tournament. Because they were down 2-0 against a team with 15 Champions League players (we have 3) and fought like hell to tie the game, but came up short. Because they dominated Portugal. Because some of us played in ODP and have seen soccer come so far in this country that we are getting close to matching up with the best teams on the planet. You don't pick up a soccer ball and become a world power overnight.

Now kindly, go fuck yourself.
    Cliffy this is exactly why i didn't post this in the World Cup thread. I know a lot of people care deeply about the World Cup and I wasn't about to piss on them for it just because I am only mildy interested. Good for everyone who is into it and for having such passion. I was just questionning why winning 1 out of 4 games is something to be proud of. i guess in soccer and with today's generation of everyone get a trophy it is. toast them with a fruity beer for winning 1 out of 4 - whoo hooo
    :-S
    I'm kinda with you on the World Cup. I've never seen moral victories celebrated so much. I mean, if Soccer fans want American sports fans to care about Soccer like we care about Football and Baseball, they should be prepared for the US Soccer team to be critiqued like NFL and MLB teams are.

The record shows that:

-The US team wont their first game....which is cool.

-The US team choked away their second game. Didn't they? I don't know that much about Soccer but I know "buzzer beaters" are very rare. Still, it's not like my Miami Dolphins haven't choked away dozens and dozens of games over the past decade. So you'll have that.

-The reaction to the third game by both US players and fans was embarrassing. They went into that day with a "playoff scenario" of "clinch with a win" or "clinch with a loss and loss by Ghana". They got in on the second scenario....which is fine. But to see the coach walking on the field with his hands up in celebration, and seeing US fans around the country celebrating, was kinda pathetic. Wasn't that the definition of "backing into the playoffs?" Weren't the 2012 Ravens ridiculed for starting 9-3, and then finishing 10-6? They were weren't they? That's how American sports fans are (for some reason). So why do the Ravens (who actually went on to win their championship) called "lucky" for making the playoffs while the US Soccer team's loss to Germany is ignored because they made it into the round of 16 (on tie-breakers by the way).

-The 4th game: great, great effort by the goalkeeper who set a saves record. But they still fucking lost. Lebron could score 50 points but turn the ball over on the final possession and we'd never let him hear the end of it. So shouldn't some grief go to the goalkeeper for giving up the two goals he gave up? Nope....cause US Soccer fans are all about moral victories. "We only lost by 1 and our goalkeeper set a record!" Peyton Manning set a completions record in this year's Super Bowl. I doubt any Broncos fans cared.

None of this is rant against the members of the US team who I feel did play great and despite being way overmatched by Belgium, gave them a hell of a fight. It's the coverage and fandom of the World Cup that I find kinda silly. And again, I don't know that much about Soccer. But I know enough about sports in general to know if you enter a tournament, win one game, lose two, and tie one, you've failed. Enough moral victories. We don't "allow" moral victories in MLB, NBA, or NFL, so why are we expected to celebrate this Soccer team's effort in the World Cup? It was just that: an effort.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    i could be wrong, as i'm not a huge soccer guy, but they were in the toughest bracket. i don't think people gave them a chance of winning or even tying a game. so to advance, even by backing in, to the knockout round is a big accomplishment....especially considering how short on talent we are compared to every team they were playing.

in a decade or two if the US gets to a point where they are on par or much closer to being on par with the best soccer countries in the world, i believe people will point to the '14 cup as the moment they got over the hump. so it's a big picture kind of thing.

cliff--is that about right?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,774
    edited July 2014

ii don't think people gave them a chance of winning or even tying a game. so to advance, even by backing in, to the knockout round is a big accomplishment....especially considering how short on talent we are compared to every team they were playing

Nothing at all wrong with them "backing in" but to see them celebrating it as time ran out in their 1-0 loss was just kinda annoying. Again, I'm an American sports fan thinking like an American sports fan. Nothing wrong with clinching your playoff spot with a loss (hey, the earlier games count too) but to celebrate it like THAT was just......eh......whatever. We'll pick up this conversation in four years when Soccer matters again.
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options

ah, the dutchess......yeah such an awesome movie. can't wait for it to be on regular hbo rotation.

i saw out of the furnace on the plane this week. have you seen it?....it got mixed reviews but i fucking loved it. 'release' fit that movie perfectly...

and with the soccer stuff--cliff, you can't teach stupid. you know this. god knows i've tried. haha. i played in high school but don't really follow the sport much. however the world cup's been real cool to watch. they showed the last US game at the resort i was at this week on a big projection screen tv--people were going nuts. good times.
    I know, man. I don't know why I bother.

That's awesome. Hope you had a good time.

We walked down to the block party outside fado befor the Portugal game. It did not feel like we were in America. There we a good 2 thousand people in the street chanting and cheering 3 hours before kick off. The parking garage had people in every opening looking down, draping the flag and all. It was awesome.

We really represented well this World Cup. The US bought more tickets than any country not named Brazil. I have been reading that locals and other countries part laugh, park smirk and are part impressed by our showing. Sounds about right. That said, a number of opposing players have commented on how impressed they are with American fans and are looking forward to playing in America more, whatever that means
  • Options

i could be wrong, as i'm not a huge soccer guy, but they were in the toughest bracket. i don't think people gave them a chance of winning or even tying a game. so to advance, even by backing in, to the knockout round is a big accomplishment....especially considering how short on talent we are compared to every team they were playing.

in a decade or two if the US gets to a point where they are on par or much closer to being on par with the best soccer countries in the world, i believe people will point to the '14 cup as the moment they got over the hump. so it's a big picture kind of thing.

Bingo. Spot on. I would look for us to make a good run in 2022 and be a real contender AT HOME in have 2026 World Cup. That said, you never know what could happen. Look how terrible England is. Pjhawks will be a bitter old man screaming about these soccer playing kids on his lawn.

And yeah, after the disaster that is already the Qatar, and how well we showed this World Cup. I am pretty certain we are a lock to get 2026. FIFA has almost said so. Went to 5 games at giants stadium in 94. Definitely one of my favorite things I have ever been too.
  • Options
    And the last thing I will say about this tournament. Break down all 4 teams they played.

Ghana has knocked them out of the World Cup 2 straight times and are a better team than they were in 2010. We also do not match up well with physical teams. We are a physical and fit team who can play a lot of defense and counter because we are fit and physical. When we run into a team who can push us around, we are usually fucked. Got outplayed but won.

Portugal....yeah, one of my favorite games ever. Let up a fucking awful early goal. Bounced back to dominate a top 5 team in the world who just so happened to have the best player I the world, over the last 12 months (messi has once again asserted him as the best in this tournament). Scored twice and let up a horrific goal at the very end. We won that game and should have been through. How peoples opinions would have changed if we won that game but the rest of these games played as is. A defensive lapse and idiots like this have a very different opinion. But yes, dominated what was a top 5 team and possibly the best player in the world

Germany. Lost 1-0. Very clearly we are not at the level of Germany. Now that Neymar is out, Germany has to be the favorite to win the tournament. Yeah, the favorite. 1-0 and we generated a couple lat chances.

Belgium. Already been through this. 15 champions league players to 3. The best team they have ever had coming in. We were there. Took them to the wire and their players had nothing but praise for us.

Okay....please give am another time that we played this caliber of teams and faired so well. We haven't. But we have had much much better records in previous World Cups. Shit we have been in the quarter finals in the modern era and that team couldn't sniff these teams they played today. We hung with the best teams in the world and looked like we belonged. Long ways to go, but every soccer fan in America has to be excited with our showing.
  • Options

I have not. Not sure I have even heard of it. Will check it out though. Thanks
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Bingo. Spot on. I would look for us to make a good run in 2022 and be a real contender AT HOME in have 2026 World Cup. That said, you never know what could happen. Look how terrible England is. Pjhawks will be a bitter old man screaming about these soccer playing kids on his lawn.

And yeah, after the disaster that is already the Qatar, and how well we showed this World Cup. I am pretty certain we are a lock to get 2026. FIFA has almost said so. Went to 5 games at giants stadium in 94. Definitely one of my favorite things I have ever been too.
    delusional.

Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    pjhawks said:

delusional.

Because you hav really proven that you know something about soccer in America?
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    song of philadelphia
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSyXbJr-4x0

this youtube channel is pretty cool. phila dept of records has videos chronicling the city from the 50's to the 80's
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078

pjhawks said:

delusional.

That's a big edit!!!

Go Birds!!!!
  • Options

pjhawks said:

delusional.

That's a big edit!!!

It is, I don't feel like dealing with this dude anymore. No need to put fuel on the fire
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,200
    sweet we got swept again :-bd
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

pjhawks said:

delusional.

i know enough to know that currently there at most 2 or 3 Americans (and i've seen lists with none) listed in the Top 100 players in the world and that our U17 team didn't even qualify for the U17 World Cup last year and Canada, yes fucking Canada, made it. and at least some of those kids will be veterans in the 2026 World Cup. unless there are 3 or 4 Messi's in the 10-14 age group in the USA today the chances of competing for a final or even semi-final appearance in 12 years is about 1%. so yea I'd say contending in 12 years is delusional.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

delusional.

i know enough to know that currently there at most 2 or 3 Americans (and i've seen lists with none) listed in the Top 100 players in the world and that our U17 team didn't even qualify for the U17 World Cup last year and Canada, yes fucking Canada, made it. and at least some of those kids will be veterans in the 2026 World Cup. unless there are 3 or 4 Messi's in the 10-14 age group in the USA today the chances of competing for a final or even semi-final appearance in 12 years is about 1%. so yea I'd say contending in 12 years is delusional.
    Oh, goodness. This is rich

So the US needs to have the best 3 to 4 players in the world to compete? 3 to 4 of the best goal scorers in the history of the sport to be a contender? 3 to 4 players who have scored over 300 goals in their career? How many teams have 3 to 4 Messi's? I count one that has one. Shit, how many generations have 3 to 4 Messi's?

Looking at the results of the U17 team is idiotic. Do you look at the win loss record of the Phillies Low A team to figure out how good the Phillies are going to be in 10 years?

A lot of development to go for a lot of players. Are you taking into consideration Klinsman's almost ultimatum that US players develop in Europe or that the MLS changes? Are you taking into consideration any foreign born players that have declared for the US? For one, Julian Green didn't play for the US U17 team, he played for the German U19 team for fucks sake. Gedion Zelalem still isn't eligible to play for the US (FINGERS FUCKING CROSSED). How often do we have players like this that come up with Arsenal and Bayern? Add Yedlin hopefully going to Liverpool or Roma. Cameron playing in the Premier league for 4 more years. Brooks in Berlin. Among many others.

Are all of Yedlin, Green and the rest going to develop like we want? No, of course not, they are prospects, just like any other sport. But we have some young solid players in place, who will likely be playing club against the best players in the world, a coach hellbent on recruiting any player who can potentially play for the US and a structure in place to develop from the top down. All signs are positive.

But yeah, we need 3 to 4 Lionel Messi's.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Double post

• Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Jeez, let it go PJ. It's ok to admit when you're wrong or misguided. I'm wrong plenty of times, except about Kelly's press conferences. I can't wait for the next one. :))

Those giant U.S.A. soccer watch parties were some of the coolest things I've ever seen in sports.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    can't you just picture hawks right now in the midst of a frantic google search to help him with whatever non informed response he comes up with?

haha
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

song of philadelphia
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSyXbJr-4x0

this youtube channel is pretty cool. phila dept of records has videos chronicling the city from the 50's to the 80's

That's cool. I dig this place. Cool to see some stuff that exists, some stuff I had no clue about and some stuff that existed within the past decade and no longer exists. Good stuff.
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    I agree hawks is out his league in this subject. But Bradley still sucked ass this tourny:)
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    if i didn't think you gutless turds would back out of a bet 12 years in the making i'd bet every last one of you fuckers that the USA doesn't make a World Cup semi-final or final in the next 3 World Cups. i can't believe there are actually people in this thread who think they will. fucking delusional.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

if i didn't think you gutless turds would back out of a bet 12 years in the making i'd bet every last one of you fuckers that the USA doesn't make a World Cup semi-final or final in the next 3 World Cups. i can't believe there are actually people in this thread who think they will. fucking delusional.

Costa Rica was basically a save away from the semis.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,200
    now the offense comes around?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA