Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,659
    well, there's no shame in losing to an "immortal" ;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,458
    cole hamels. god bless him....he's the only reason to watch this team
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,659

You and your man crush. First, Halladay then Lee now Cole. What a slut you are.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive said:

You and your man crush. First, Halladay then Lee now Cole. What a slut you are.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    This whole thing could get pretty ugly, huh?
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,828
    Oh yeah.

And this article is awesome - http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-bit-outside/story/ryan-howard-philadelphia-phillies-contract-regress-struggle-trade-rumors-release-072514

Also, Jeags - if it wasn't for 2008 to save Hamels' hide as a pitcher..... Cause, apparently, he is not that good.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,786
    edited July 2014
    "History won't show Ryan Howard as having had the worst contract in the history of baseball, that's only because Ruben Amaro had the good sense to stop it at five years. Although there is a sixth-year, $23-million club option. So, you know, maybe."

Now that's funny.
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,282

Oh yeah.

And this article is awesome - http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-bit-outside/story/ryan-howard-philadelphia-phillies-contract-regress-struggle-trade-rumors-release-072514

Also, Jeags - if it wasn't for 2008 to save Hamels' hide as a pitcher..... Cause, apparently, he is not that good.

since i'm sure this is directed at me can i ask that you at least get my quote right? again didn't realize that saying someone was 'very good, not dominant' was a put down but i guess with this bunch...
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,786
    Some great satire here....

The Philadelphia Phillies honored their 2008 World Series team again last night by playing a lineup that featured Jimmy Rollins, Chase Utley and Carlos Ruiz in a loss to the Giants, while ’08 stars Ryan Howard and Cole Hamels watched from the dugout. It is the 263rd consecutive game, dating back to the start of the 2013 season, that the Phillies have honored their former champions by allowing them to remain on their roster.

“That 2008 team will be remembered forever,” said general manager Ruben Amaro, Jr. “It was the first champion this city had in decades. I thought it was important to honor these guys night after night long after they were ‘quote unquote’ capable of forming the core of a competitive baseball team anymore.”

A rival NL East general manager said he appreciates what the Phillies have done for their stars of long ago.

“You don’t see that with most franchises,” he said. “They’ll bring an old team back for one night and have them wave to fans before the game starts. But not the Phillies. They’re still trotting out much of the same team they had six years ago every night. That’s respect. I admire that. Most teams nowadays, especially teams with Philadelphia’s resources, are built to be competitive now, not in the past. And I’ll admit, they help us win some games.”

In addition to putting their old-timers on the field each game, the Phillies chose to honor all of them with massive, long-term contracts.

“I remember a few years ago one of our opponents had a ceremony for an old championship team before the game,” said first baseman Ryan Howard. “They gave all the guys a watch and free drinks during the game. That’s nice, but the Phillies gave me $125 million. That beats any watch.”

Amaro says he intends to keep on honoring the 2008 team far into the future.

“Just because attendance for these nightly throwback nights continues to decline doesn’t mean you stop doing the right thing,” he said. “Plus, even if we wanted to get rid of guys like Howard and Rollins, we couldn’t. I’ve made sure of that.”

http://www.sportspickle.com/2014/07/phillies-honor-2008-world-series-championship-team-263-consecutive-game
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Big fight at msg tomorrow night for Philly. Bryant Jennings in a big heavyweight fight. Both undefeated. On hbo. Should be awesome
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,237
    edited July 2014
    Post edited by eeriepadave on
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    heard some jayson stark stat the other day. hamels and max scherzer have the same amount of quality starts over the last few years. scherzer has won 28 of those games while hamels has gone 12-9.

we're experiencing greatness every time this guy walks out to the mound.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Some great satire here....

The Philadelphia Phillies honored their 2008 World Series team again last night by playing a lineup that featured Jimmy Rollins, Chase Utley and Carlos Ruiz in a loss to the Giants, while ’08 stars Ryan Howard and Cole Hamels watched from the dugout. It is the 263rd consecutive game, dating back to the start of the 2013 season, that the Phillies have honored their former champions by allowing them to remain on their roster.

“That 2008 team will be remembered forever,” said general manager Ruben Amaro, Jr. “It was the first champion this city had in decades. I thought it was important to honor these guys night after night long after they were ‘quote unquote’ capable of forming the core of a competitive baseball team anymore.”

A rival NL East general manager said he appreciates what the Phillies have done for their stars of long ago.

“You don’t see that with most franchises,” he said. “They’ll bring an old team back for one night and have them wave to fans before the game starts. But not the Phillies. They’re still trotting out much of the same team they had six years ago every night. That’s respect. I admire that. Most teams nowadays, especially teams with Philadelphia’s resources, are built to be competitive now, not in the past. And I’ll admit, they help us win some games.”

In addition to putting their old-timers on the field each game, the Phillies chose to honor all of them with massive, long-term contracts.

“I remember a few years ago one of our opponents had a ceremony for an old championship team before the game,” said first baseman Ryan Howard. “They gave all the guys a watch and free drinks during the game. That’s nice, but the Phillies gave me $125 million. That beats any watch.”

Amaro says he intends to keep on honoring the 2008 team far into the future.

“Just because attendance for these nightly throwback nights continues to decline doesn’t mean you stop doing the right thing,” he said. “Plus, even if we wanted to get rid of guys like Howard and Rollins, we couldn’t. I’ve made sure of that.”

http://www.sportspickle.com/2014/07/phillies-honor-2008-world-series-championship-team-263-consecutive-game

this is really funny
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Bryant Jennings bitches! Let's go!

Hit up every outdoor drinking spot east of 7th today I think and now on to whiskey.
  • Options
    Philly won! Kind of. Pretty shitty fight. Jennings landed more. Perez was more aggressive. Shitty call by the ref. Jennings isn't ready for a title fight but he still has zero losses.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,282
    the people who wrote the rules for protecting the catcher should be tarred and feathered in Times Square. what a ridiculously dumb rule. the Howard play at the plate yesterday was so laughably bad that he was called safe someone should be fired today. he was easily out by about 10 feet and because where the catcher was standing they ended up calling him safe when it had zero bearing on the play. so dumb.
  • Options
    so looks like cole is in play with the dodgers interested....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    the phillies pretty much have to win the bidding war for this cuban dude right?

he's being compare to elsbury, kenny lofton, and bret gardner
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Feel like no one knows on this one.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/defection-of-top-cuban-outfielder-rusney-castillo-could-shake-up-market/

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/rusney-castillo-wows-miami-workout/

Damn, you guys are having terrible timing. Lee doesn't look right, Burnett got smacked and Byrd is out with a foot.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/defection-of-top-cuban-outfielder-rusney-castillo-could-shake-up-market/

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/rusney-castillo-wows-miami-workout/

Damn, you guys are having terrible timing. Lee doesn't look right, Burnett got smacked and Byrd is out with a foot.

haha.....when I heard byrd was out, I thought they had a deal with someone. when it rains, it pours.

regarding castillo---their best outfield prospect is roman quin who was a shortstop up until a month ago. not a lot of options and his upside is pretty high...they need to be players for these foreign dudes.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

haha.....when I heard byrd was out, I thought they had a deal with someone. when it rains, it pours.

regarding castillo---their best outfield prospect is roman quin who was a shortstop up until a month ago. not a lot of options and his upside is pretty high...they need to be players for these foreign dudes.
    Ha yeah man. Brutal.

Ahh, didn't know that. Yeah.

Looks like hamels isn't going anywhere. Oh my :))
  • Options

Ha yeah man. Brutal.

well fuck it....if they were to trade hamels, that's what i would want in return too. he's at the top of his game, in the prime of his career, and has proven it in the post season. by most accounts, it's a fair contract too. tonight he's at 102 pitches and only thrown 25 out of the strike zone. he's a god damn machine.

i don't think they really want to trade him unless they got something too good to be true like that though...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Ha yeah man. Brutal.

well fuck it....if they were to trade hamels, that's what i would want in return too. he's at the top of his game, in the prime of his career, and has proven it in the post season. by most accounts, it's a fair contract too. tonight he's at 102 pitches and only thrown 25 out of the strike zone. he's a god damn machine.

i don't think they really want to trade him unless they got something too good to be true like that though...
    Yeah, I hear you but no one pulls that package outside of trout.
  • Options
  • Options
    Too bad Cole Hamels can't pitch every night
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    Well Cliff Lee is done for the year.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

"History won't show Ryan Howard as having had the worst contract in the history of baseball, that's only because Ruben Amaro had the good sense to stop it at five years. Although there is a sixth-year, $23-million club option. So, you know, maybe."

Now that's funny.
    It's the worst contract in the history of sports

Howard's backers cite his RBI total, that he's driven in 60 runs. Well, so have 17 other major-leaguers. And Howard has had more plate appearances this season with men on base than any player in baseball.

In 224 of Howard's plate appearances, one or more runners have been on base. He's driven in just 14.8 percent of them. More than 175 players have a better rate of plating their baserunners.

• Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    NOTHING sums up the Amaro era better than this gif

http://www.thescore.com/news/545041
  • Options

Well Cliff Lee is done for the year.

not that they deserve one, but this team can't catch a break if it smacked them in the face. jesus. if amaro is not gone shortly after this season there is going to a be a revolt down there.

this is worse than the end of the reid era across the street.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Fixer said:

Now that's funny.
    It's the worst contract in the history of sports

Howard's backers cite his RBI total, that he's driven in 60 runs. Well, so have 17 other major-leaguers. And Howard has had more plate appearances this season with men on base than any player in baseball.

In 224 of Howard's plate appearances, one or more runners have been on base. He's driven in just 14.8 percent of them. More than 175 players have a better rate of plating their baserunners.

BUT HE HAS SO MANY RBI!!