Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,247
    not totally surprising seeing as how Citizens Bank Park became the hip place to be after 2008. now that the team stinks the hipness has worn off. every time i see someone with one of those stick-on logo's on their cars these days i feel like asking them when they got it. i bet 99% of them put those on after 2008. of course i'm sure those people consider themselves fans because they have a logo on their car.

i've always said it's easy to be a fan when your team is winning. real fans don't "quit' or "be done" with their teams.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,625
    pjhawks said:

not totally surprising seeing as how Citizens Bank Park became the hip place to be after 2008. now that the team stinks the hipness has worn off. every time i see someone with one of those stick-on logo's on their cars these days i feel like asking them when they got it. i bet 99% of them put those on after 2008. of course i'm sure those people consider themselves fans because they have a logo on their car.

i've always said it's easy to be a fan when your team is winning. real fans don't "quit' or "be done" with their teams.
    I always talked about how easy it was to get tickets when I moved here in 2006, went to all three Yankees games that year with tickets right behind the dugout. Then in 2008-09, everyone in Philly was the biggest fan ever.

I'm done. But had to post it.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,565
    that poll is ridiculous....the Giants have (technically) sold out every game since moving into their new park in 2000. they've had good teams and shit teams in that time frame. in 1998 and 1999 they had decent attendance at candlestick (1998 they went down to the wire before losing a one game playoff and 1999 was the whole tell it goodbye nostalgia).

and the d**gers? chavez latrine gets emptier and emptier every year the team under performs.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,086
    Congrats to J-Roll on passing Schmidt for the all time career leader in hits in Phillies history. Almost didn't recognize Schmidt without his mustache though, :))
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Congrats to Rollins. Sadly he's annoyed me for years. But you have to appreciate what he's done for this organization.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,756
    edited June 2014
    I was at the game today. Really cool moment.
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Congratulations Jimmy! 14+ years how the years have flown by. I'm 95% sure I won't see anyone break his team hits record in my lifetime. selfishly I hope they never trade him and chase. hate to see those two in another uniform.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,372
    I was there too. It was awesome.

And I actually enjoy there being less people at games. Makes it much easier to grab good seats day of. Got HOF Club right behind plate for less than face value. Good times.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,756
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    the cole train has been in such a zone lately....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    How the hell do you walk a relief pitcher? =))
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Paps actually pitched very well last night. He was ahead of almost every hitter and all 3 hits were bleeders.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options

How the hell do you walk a relief pitcher? =))

yea that was great. bastardo was pretty much as far back as possible in the batters box and looked scared to death.

Cole was great last night. actually thought they should have batted him in the 8th and just let him bunt the guy over.

how bad has this division been that this team is only 5 1/2 back?
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    edited June 2014
    The Mets and Phillies are licking their chops. :))

How bad is Dom Brown? Why are you using your off hand to help catch a ball in that situation? Feel for the wall dope. On the bright side of that, DeFratus showed some balls that inning.
    Post edited by JK_Livin on
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

The Mets and Phillies are licking their chops. :))

How bad is Dom Brown? Why are you using your off hand to help catch a ball in that situation? Feel for the wall dope. On the bright side of that, DeFratus showed some balls that inning.

he's doing his best pat burrell, circa 2003, impression.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    no shot he hangs around long enough to catch lefty....but if he gets to 2nd place in under a decade (might get there by end of next year)--that's pretty fucking impressive.

http://the700level.com/baseball-phillies/does-cole-hamels-have-any-kind-of-chance-at-the-phils-all-time-strikeout-record/

Does Cole Hamels have any kind of chance at the Phils’ all-time strikeout record?

After missing the season’s first three-plus weeks and struggling a mite in his first couple starts, Cole Hamels has unmistakably rounded into Cole Hamels form again.

You wouldn’t know it from his record, as usual, and the Phillies gave him no help on that front last night as his seven scoreless were wasted by a one-run offensive effort that failed to hold when Jonathan Papelbon let in the tying run on a bloop single in the ninth. But after eight straight seven-plus-inning outings–all but one of which featured Cole giving up three runs or fewer–his ERA is down under three, his WHIP is back to a reasonable 1.20, and his 76 strikeouts lead the whole team.

source:

The K’s were of particular relevance last night, as Hamels’ six (in seven innings of work) tied him with Chris Short for third on the Phils’ all-time punchout list with 1585. Short, a two-time All-Star and Phillies Wall-of-Famer, racked up his tally over 14 seasons in 2253 innings pitched. Hamels took just nine years (counting this one) and 1671 IP. Cole should own third on his own within a couple innings of his next start, and failing injury or trade, will probably climb his way to second place (Hall-of-Famer Robin Roberts, with 1871) by either the end of next season or early into 2016.

It should probably be noted that Short and Roberts both pitched in an era that suppressed strikeout numbers far more than modern day. Roberts once led the NL with 185 Ks, a number Cole has passed five times while only finishing in the league’s top five once. Still, it is mighty impressive of our ace to reach that kind of historical mark in less than a decade’s time, and it shows how consistently dominant he’s been on the hill for the Phillies since coming into the league in 2006.

And it also gets you wondering–could he maybe make a claim for #1 someday? Getting to #3 (and presumably #2 before long) so relatively early in his career would make you think he’s got a real shot, but the gap between #2 and #1 is much, much bigger than the one between #2 and #3. That’s because #1 is the legendary Steve Carlton, one-time holder of the MLB all-time strikeout total, who racked up a stunning 3031 strikeouts in just under a decade and a half of duty for the Fightins. (Carlton also picked up 1105 additional K’s in stops with five other teams at the beginning and end of his career.)

To reach Lefty’s all-time total, Cole would certainly have his work cut out for him. He’s a little over halfway there, but he’s already turned 30. Generously assuming he pitches for the Phils until he turned 40, and assuming he racks up about another 120 punchouts over the course of this season, he’d have to average about 140 strikeouts a year over the next ten seasons to pass the first-ballot Hall-of-Famer.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    This Spruce Street Harbor Park that is opening next week on the Delaware looks fucking sweet. I may spend a whole lot of time there this summer.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

no shot he hangs around long enough to catch lefty....but if he gets to 2nd place in under a decade (might get there by end of next year)--that's pretty fucking impressive.

http://the700level.com/baseball-phillies/does-cole-hamels-have-any-kind-of-chance-at-the-phils-all-time-strikeout-record/

Does Cole Hamels have any kind of chance at the Phils’ all-time strikeout record?

After missing the season’s first three-plus weeks and struggling a mite in his first couple starts, Cole Hamels has unmistakably rounded into Cole Hamels form again.

You wouldn’t know it from his record, as usual, and the Phillies gave him no help on that front last night as his seven scoreless were wasted by a one-run offensive effort that failed to hold when Jonathan Papelbon let in the tying run on a bloop single in the ninth. But after eight straight seven-plus-inning outings–all but one of which featured Cole giving up three runs or fewer–his ERA is down under three, his WHIP is back to a reasonable 1.20, and his 76 strikeouts lead the whole team.

source:

The K’s were of particular relevance last night, as Hamels’ six (in seven innings of work) tied him with Chris Short for third on the Phils’ all-time punchout list with 1585. Short, a two-time All-Star and Phillies Wall-of-Famer, racked up his tally over 14 seasons in 2253 innings pitched. Hamels took just nine years (counting this one) and 1671 IP. Cole should own third on his own within a couple innings of his next start, and failing injury or trade, will probably climb his way to second place (Hall-of-Famer Robin Roberts, with 1871) by either the end of next season or early into 2016.

It should probably be noted that Short and Roberts both pitched in an era that suppressed strikeout numbers far more than modern day. Roberts once led the NL with 185 Ks, a number Cole has passed five times while only finishing in the league’s top five once. Still, it is mighty impressive of our ace to reach that kind of historical mark in less than a decade’s time, and it shows how consistently dominant he’s been on the hill for the Phillies since coming into the league in 2006.

And it also gets you wondering–could he maybe make a claim for #1 someday? Getting to #3 (and presumably #2 before long) so relatively early in his career would make you think he’s got a real shot, but the gap between #2 and #1 is much, much bigger than the one between #2 and #3. That’s because #1 is the legendary Steve Carlton, one-time holder of the MLB all-time strikeout total, who racked up a stunning 3031 strikeouts in just under a decade and a half of duty for the Fightins. (Carlton also picked up 1105 additional K’s in stops with five other teams at the beginning and end of his career.)

To reach Lefty’s all-time total, Cole would certainly have his work cut out for him. He’s a little over halfway there, but he’s already turned 30. Generously assuming he pitches for the Phils until he turned 40, and assuming he racks up about another 120 punchouts over the course of this season, he’d have to average about 140 strikeouts a year over the next ten seasons to pass the first-ballot Hall-of-Famer.

very little chance he catches Carlton. Cole has already had multiple minor arm/shoulder injuries and with 5 years of playoffs and high level games Cole will most likely end up like Halladay and turn old almost overnight around his mid-30s. can't see him lasting until 40
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    does look cool but drinking on a barge in the river...umm not sure about that one.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

source:

very little chance he catches Carlton. Cole has already had multiple minor arm/shoulder injuries and with 5 years of playoffs and high level games Cole will most likely end up like Halladay and turn old almost overnight around his mid-30s. can't see him lasting until 40

big difference between how he pitches and how halladay pitched though. halladay was more power and as soon as he lost that fast ball, it was lights out. as the article points out, cole is the kind of pitcher you'd think could be able to adjust when he gets to be that age....assuming he is healthy obviously.

yeah I don't think there's a shot he catches lefty, but to catch another hall of famer and be 2nd to carlton....especially in such a short amount of time would be awesome.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    out of the basement :-bd
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    so in another thread Juggler said a walk is a good as a hit. does anyone really believe that? only if no one is on base is it as good as a single, but that's really the only case. in all other cases a walk is never as good as a hit.

i guess the same people who believe that are the same who'd rather have ryan howard shorten his swing to cut down on strikeouts thus creating more singles but less home runs. 8-|

going for the sweep today. man this division is so bad right now.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

so in another thread Juggler said a walk is a good as a hit. does anyone really believe that? only if no one is on base is it as good as a single, but that's really the only case. in all other cases a walk is never as good as a hit.

i guess the same people who believe that are the same who'd rather have ryan howard shorten his swing to cut down on strikeouts thus creating more singles but less home runs. 8-|

The main job of the batter in baseball is not to make an out.
  • Options
    this dude is crazy. i said that as a joke in the "what would you tell the 12 yourself you" thread.

hahahaha
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2014

pjhawks said:

but not all non-outs are equal. the most important thing to do is to score runs. you win with runs created not on-base percentage. rarely do walks 'create' runs. they can lead to them but they don't create them. a walk is not as good as a hit.

and juggler not sure how your reply of 'yes it is' in that thread is considered a joke but if it was well then i guess i misunderstood that.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options

this dude is crazy. i said that as a joke in the "what would you tell the 12 yourself you" thread.

hahahaha

marlon byrd's single in the 1st today was better than ryan's walk :-j
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

but not all non-outs are equal. the most important thing to do is to score runs. you win with runs created not on-base percentage. rarely do walks 'create' runs. they can lead to them but they don't create them. a walk is not as good as a hit.

and juggler not sure how your reply of 'yes it is' in that thread is considered a joke but if it was well then i guess i misunderstood that.
    I repeat. The goal of an at bat is to not make an out. No obviously a sac fly is different than other outs, but that is the rare case. Rarely do walks create runs, you score runs with people on base no matter who they got there, simple as that.
  • Options
    Regularly or semi regularly?

How often was hawks beat up as a kid?

Only kidding Hawks (kinda)...you just need to lighten up a little

Go Phils!
    chinese-happy.jpg