Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,613

How could you allow Amaro to trade away those players if he's not coming back next year? If he trades some of them he has to be coming back sadly.

What are the chances you guys think he comes back? I don't put it at any worse than 50-50.

No, I think as long as this season plays out the way it's looking now, it's gotta be less than 50-50. The Phils are loyal to a fault but the losing and empty seats are going to force their hand.

One would think/hope. He literally destroyed the best team in baseball.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364

JK_Livin said:

Dude--the draft is literally today.

Do you really think we'd be that worse off? I don't know what it takes to hire or fire a GM but the more you let this guy do, the longer it will take to recover. Can't we poach someone from another team? Does that ever happen midseason?

I do realize that you can't do this hours before a draft but it needs to be done and we shouldn't wait any longer.
    The team would have to give approval to interview with said team, so probably not/ I can't see that happening midseason. Usually teams grant that request if it is a higher position but not for lateral positions.

I meant someone under the GM from another team. So, I guess I have to wait is what you are saying?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

JK_Livin said:

Dude--the draft is literally today.

Do you really think we'd be that worse off? I don't know what it takes to hire or fire a GM but the more you let this guy do, the longer it will take to recover. Can't we poach someone from another team? Does that ever happen midseason?

I do realize that you can't do this hours before a draft but it needs to be done and we shouldn't wait any longer.
    The team would have to give approval to interview with said team, so probably not/ I can't see that happening midseason. Usually teams grant that request if it is a higher position but not for lateral positions.

I meant someone under the GM from another team. So, I guess I have to wait is what you are saying?
    Ha, yeah, basically.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,344
    jp it's actually happening!

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/entertainment/movies/Blind-Side-director-signs-on-to-untitled-Lenny-Dykstra-biopic.html

‘Blind Side’ director signs on to untitled Lenny Dykstra biopic
    Now that director John Lee Hancock has honed his sports movie chops with The Rookie and The Blind Side, it looks like he’s ready to bring to life the story of baseball’s last troubadour: Lenny Dykstra.

Hancock recently signed on to the as-yet-untitled project to direct alongside Blind Side producer Gill Netter to tell Dykstra’s story. As Philadelphia knows, that story is an interesting one—after all, from his legendary presence on the ’93 Phils to the bankruptcy follies of his post-retirement life, we collectively just can’t get enough of ‘ol nails. Unless it’s about his time with the Mets.

Dykstra suggested when the project was announced last year that Mark Wahlberg or Matt Damon play him in the film, which is both hilarious and a spot-on, oddly self-aware choice for Dude. Especially, as Collider’s Dave Trumbore notes, because Nails' ’86 Mets beat the Boston Red Sox in the ’86 World Series. And, you know, Mark Wahlberg hasn’t been in town since The Lovely Bones.

Whoever takes the role, it’s likely that a large portion of the film will focus on Dykstra’s bankruptcy fraud proceedings. Via Collider:

Plot details remain under wraps, so it remains to be seen whether the film will focus on his glory days on the baseball field from college to the majors, or his more criminal activities off the field after he retired in 1996. Pleading guilty to bankruptcy fraud, concealment of assets and money laundering, Dykstra was sentenced to six months in prison, 500 hours of community service, and was ordered to pay $200,000 in restitution.

No word yet on when this one’s set to start filming, but expect casting decisions to start rolling out soon. If you’re a betting man, Crossing Broad’s Kyle Scott has it at 2:5 on Wahlberg—I’d take it.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/entertainment/movies/Blind-Side-director-signs-on-to-untitled-Lenny-Dykstra-biopic.html#PLXrWZ54MU2wxOgz.99
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    i think fixer's boy keith law had this guy going 3rd. phils got him at 7--

7. Philadelphia Phillies: Aaron Nola | RHP, LSU

Nola has been a dominant pitcher over his last two years at LSU, and while I do have some concerns about the arm slot and breaking-ball, this could very well be the very first starting pitcher we see pitch in the big leagues. He throws everything for strikes, and the deception in his change is outstanding. I don't think Philadelphia will -- or should -- rush him, but I would be borderline surprised if he's not pitching for the Phillies in the fall of 2015.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    with any luck our top 3 starters in '16 will be hamels, biddle, nola.....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,991

not sure how effective Hamels will be in 2 more years :-S

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,219

uh oh you spoke in a somewhat negative tone about cole. that doesn't fly in this thread. expect the wrath of some of these guys :)) i mean i called him 'very good' and that wasn't taken so well.

if/when Amaro is fired at the end of the season who will be the candidates to replace him? i don't think the organization has anyone around although isn't Ed Wade back as a scout or something?
  • Options

he'll only be 32 at that point. right in his prime.

if they replace amaro with someone in house, we're in trouble. need an out of the box hire like gillick again.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,748
    2nd to last-place in the ENTIRE MAJORS. Only Tampa Bay is worse. I knew things would get bad, but not this bad this quickly.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    season over yet?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:
    hindsight is great and this trade is now a disaster...but we were all in favor of it at the time. it's like the one thing everyone agreed about in these last few phils threads. we were all happy the phils didnt give up d brown and worley. hahaha

also, just out of curiosity, i went back and looked at the coverage the trade got and it was all mostly favorable of the phils....even the all knowing keith law was in favor of it (he also liked the 2nd pence trade).

i don't know anyone who didn't love the trade at the time and now everyone is acting like they knew it was going to be a disaster from day 1.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Public House closing and turning into a City Tap House. Good thing Carter and Richards don't play here anymore.

Much better news for me though. City Tap House is a decent spot, just a hike. Public House blows.
  • Options
    awesome play by j roll there....only 3 hits away from michael jack

so espn has the phils as the 6th most improved farm system after the draft. here is that review and keith law's draft recap

Philadelphia Phillies

Philadelphia Phillies: There have been a lot of rumors about the job security of GM Ruben Amaro Jr., but it should be noted that his past two drafts were among his best. Aaron Nola was considered the safest prospect in the draft, and he has the stuff to be a member of the Phillies’ rotation as soon as next year. The Phillies also picked up top-100 talents in Matt Imhof and Chris Oliver, and Aaron Brown was one of the best two-way prospects in the class this year.

The Phillies also drafted arguably the best defensive shortstop available in Alabama State's Emmanuel Marrero, and Sacramento State first baseman Rhys Hoskins has some offensive potential as well. Few systems in baseball needed to be reinvigorated as much as Philadelphia’s, and at least on paper, the Phils appear to have done just that.

It was an atypical draft for the Phillies, who usually go for upside and focus on high school players, but they went for probability this year and took college players with their first seven picks. Aaron Nola (Round 1) was the highest-floor college arm in the draft, boasting 70-grade command of a 91-93 mph fastball with two legitimate secondary pitches, only raising concerns because of a funky delivery and low three-quarters slot that reminds scouts of Chris Sale's arm action.

Cal Poly lefty Matt Imhof (Round 2) is also a high-floor, low-ceiling guy, missing a lot of bats in college with his slider and changeup but likely to have just an average fastball when he's going every fifth day. Two-way player Aaron Brown (Round 3) out of Pepperdine will apparently go out as a center fielder, where he has a plus arm and some power as a left-handed hitter, but his 52-to-9 strikeout-to-walk ratio this year is a little tough to take and I'd bet on him ending up on the mound eventually.

Arkansas' Chris Oliver (Round 4) could move very quickly as a pen guy, hitting 96 as a starter with a hard slurve, but he's still pretty slight and doesn't have an effective third pitch yet. Rhys Hoskins (Round 5) of Sacramento State is limited to first base but has an intriguing power/patience skill set, with good loft in his finish. Sam McWilliams (Round 8) was their only high school pick in the top 28 rounds, which is a complete 180 from their typical draft pattern; he's a projectable 6-foot-7 right-hander from Tennessee with a rough arm action and no present breaking ball but has touched 94 and will probably find more than that as he fills out.

Austin Davis (Round 12) was a potential top three rounds pick earlier in the spring when he was hitting 95 for Cal State Bakersfield, but he couldn't hold his velocity and might go back for another year to try to get into the top five rounds.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Congrats to Paps on his 300th save.

One of the few bright spots for us this year.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    The War on Drugs...shame on me for not getting into these guys until recently. Fucking awesome band
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

JK_Livin said:
    hindsight is great and this trade is now a disaster...but we were all in favor of it at the time. it's like the one thing everyone agreed about in these last few phils threads. we were all happy the phils didnt give up d brown and worley. hahaha

also, just out of curiosity, i went back and looked at the coverage the trade got and it was all mostly favorable of the phils....even the all knowing keith law was in favor of it (he also liked the 2nd pence trade).

i don't know anyone who didn't love the trade at the time and now everyone is acting like they knew it was going to be a disaster from day 1.

You really know how to read between the lines.

:))

It is what it is. All I did was post a link.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

JK_Livin said:

haha sorry....i didn't mean you specifically. i mean i hate the trade now too. it's just everyone now acts like they hated it at the time it happened, when in reality, they all thought it was the last piece the phils needed that year.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

JK_Livin said:

JK_Livin said:

haha sorry....i didn't mean you specifically. i mean i hate the trade now too. it's just everyone now acts like they hated it at the time it happened, when in reality, they all thought it was the last piece the phils needed that year.
    Definitely. That was an infamous day. Nhamdi, Cullen Jenkins then the Pence deal, if memory serves me correct.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    JK_Livin said:

JK_Livin said:

JK_Livin said:

Definitely. That was an infamous day. Nhamdi, Cullen Jenkins then the Pence deal, if memory serves me correct.
    I was going nuts that day. Man if I only had a crystal ball then.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    was headed to the Phils game when i heard Birds signed Nhamdi, then at the Phils games got word they traded for Pence. The excitement of that day as a sports fans was fantastic alas not much came of it.

I hope Jimmy can hold off the hits for a few days. headed down Sunday and would love to see him do it then.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    great article by Jayson Stark on some of Jimmy Rollins numbers. some impressive stuff in here.

http://espn.go.com/blog/jayson-stark/post/_/id/819/jimmy-rollins-unique-hall-of-fame-case

Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    Hall of famer?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,532

Congrats to Paps on his 300th save.

One of the few bright spots for us this year.

fuck that guy ;)

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options

Hall of famer?

Phillies HOF- yes. MLB, probably not.

Nice walk off win last night.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options

Hall of famer?

he is an interesting case. Barry Larkin is in the Hall and most of Jimmy's numbers are going to surpass his. I think he will be really close but ultimately i think he will just miss getting in. I guess some of it depends on how long he keeps playing and how many hits he ultimately ends up with. if he can get to 2500 or more that could push him in. I also think if the Phils had won a 2nd title that would have helped his case.
  • Options
    I think he is close, simply because he is a shortstop.
  • Options
    3 in a row! ;)
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA