Options

Pearl Jam limited edition chrome Pono Player

Comments

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717

How flippable is an mp3 player with laser printed autographs? Not sure what the appeal is unless you were definitely going to try out pono anyway.

My guess is 'extremely'

It's limited pearl jam item. Have you seem what happens with limited pearl jam stuff?

The iPod promo with pearl jam printing is a standard nano worth $99. It sells for upwards of $500 ....

Putting pearl jam on a $2 mini basketball makes it $250

Ed ved zippos engraved - $300-400 for a $30 item

I'm sure you see the trend
  • Options
    aurynsdadaurynsdad Posts: 773
    I think I'm going to fall for this eventually simply because I've already made the investment in good headphones and a good car stereo.
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    edited March 2014
    pdalowsky said:

How flippable is an mp3 player with laser printed autographs? Not sure what the appeal is unless you were definitely going to try out pono anyway.

My guess is 'extremely'

It's limited pearl jam item. Have you seem what happens with limited pearl jam stuff?

The iPod promo with pearl jam printing is a standard nano worth $99. It sells for upwards of $500 ....

Oh sure, they'll go for a lot.... although since they are going for $400 now, how much could they go up?? :-?

I'm not into it though. I personally couldn't care less if my pono has PJ sigs on it.

Sidenote: What is an engraved EV Zippo?? Never heard of that! What's it engraved with?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

pdalowsky said:

My guess is 'extremely'

Oh sure, they'll go for a lot.... although since they are going for $400 now, how much could they go up?? :-?

I'm not into it though. I personally couldn't care less if my pono has PJ sigs on it.

Sidenote: What is an engraved EV Zippo?? Never heard of that! What's it engraved with?
    Perhaps should have said 'embossed' or 'printed'
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:

PJ_Soul said:

pdalowsky said:

My guess is 'extremely'

Ah, I see..... $300 - $400 for the Zippos? Never seen one go for more than maybe $100 actually (although I haven't ever seen the black aussie wave or white uke one sell at all any time recently.... maybe they would go for $300 since no one can find them anymore, I don't know.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

pdalowsky said:

PJ_Soul said:

pdalowsky said:

My guess is 'extremely'

Ah, I see..... $300 - $400 for the Zippos? Never seen one go for more than maybe $100 actually (although I haven't ever seen the black aussie wave or white uke one sell at all any time recently.... maybe they would go for $300 since no one can find them anymore, I don't know.
    Yeah the last 3 made are very hard to find and command a good premium
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:

PJ_Soul said:

pdalowsky said:

PJ_Soul said:

pdalowsky said:

My guess is 'extremely'

Yeah the last 3 made are very hard to find and command a good premium
    I am after the two I mentioned.... have yet to even see them anywhere! Um, if you happen to see either for sale, can you let me know?? :Dimage
  • Options
    JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064

I would say the same thing about a backpack with a PJ patch on it. Boy did I look stupid. LOL

92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,910
    pdalowsky said:

now theres a metallica one

Yep, and not selling as fast at Pearl Jam's Pono Player did. Kinda surprised as there a HUGE merch fan base Metallica fan's out there.
  • Options
    WhyNotSwedenWhyNotSweden Sweden Posts: 4,269

demetrios said:

jamburger said:

1000 more posters too and the VIP dinner is open again. You folks should petition for more Pearl Jam models to be added.

Just imagine if they do sell another 500 signature Chrome Pono Player's, but it's signed by only Eddie Vedder.

i guess i'd end up with two of those fuckers
    You cant buy two, try to buy any of the once for sale now, IF you bought the PJ one you cant buy a second of any kind!!!
    -95, Stockholm (MirrorBall Tour)
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -12, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, EV London 2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -14, Amsterdam 1+2, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
    -16, TOTD San Francisco 1+2
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -18, Amsterdam 1+2, London 1+(2), Barcelona, London 2
    -19, EV Brussels

• Options
    WhyNotSwedenWhyNotSweden Sweden Posts: 4,269
    evsgjamm said:

The Pono won't make cheap speakers sound better. The music you hear will be limited by what you're playing the music through. Cheap headphones, cheap ear buds, cheap car stereo... the Pono won't immediately turn your listening experience around. You're going to have to re-fit your vehicle with a sound system capable of delivering Hi-Fi sound. If it sounds too good to be true...

Thought the scene with Neil and a friend in the 50s Cadillac listening to the PONO and his friend say something about how good it sound, IN A 50s CADILLAC... ha ha
    -95, Stockholm (MirrorBall Tour)
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -12, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, EV London 2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -14, Amsterdam 1+2, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
    -16, TOTD San Francisco 1+2
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -18, Amsterdam 1+2, London 1+(2), Barcelona, London 2
    -19, EV Brussels

• Options

demetrios said:

jamburger said:

1000 more posters too and the VIP dinner is open again. You folks should petition for more Pearl Jam models to be added.

Just imagine if they do sell another 500 signature Chrome Pono Player's, but it's signed by only Eddie Vedder.

i guess i'd end up with two of those fuckers
    You cant buy two, try to buy any of the once for sale now, IF you bought the PJ one you cant buy a second of any kind!!!
    That's correct. Can't buy a 2nd one in your name. But if you beg your girlfriend, friend or family member to open a KickStarter account that also has an Amazon account that could buy you one so you could pay them back down the road ... :p . Tried but no dice. D'oh!! Hopefully IF they do sell an Eddie Vedder PonoPlayer I will have to beg again! :bz
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    I bought one of the PJ PonoPlayers. I think some of the discussion here is hilarious. i consider myself an audiophile. i have been waiting anxiously for the PONO since Neil really started explaining it in his book a couple years ago. I have been waiting for a versatile player that was portable but would also play all the FLAC files that i have acquired over the years that previously have been down sampled to WAV in order to play. This also has the potential to cut into (slightly) my vinyl purchasing. example-Neil and Crazy Horse's last album went for $80 on vinyl. That is a ridiculous amount of money for a record even by master recording standards. I assume the PONO version would be decidedly less $ for the same quality.

Buying the PJ version was a no brainer. The same price as the regular player will sell for and you get the limited edition model. I could be totally wrong here, but i think anyone who bought this would already have the equipment to support hi end audio. I have sennheiser studio headphones and a stereo system that supports my vinyl fetish and other hi end audio sources(blu-ray, etc). The other people who purchased it would be the serious PJ collectors who have everything limited edition that they release. Together this explains why it sold out so fast, only second to the Neil versions.

I really don't see this as something that the casual person would buy to play their music, at least not at this price point. The fact that it plays all formats makes it even better. I hope someday this player will be the standard and that everyone will be able to listen to high quality audio. Unfortunately, i think that will depend more on the price of the content dropping below $9.99 an album and the Pono player dropping to about $200. It could happen if enough people jump on board. Here's hoping. And more power to uncle Neil!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,233
    PJ_Soul said:

MedozK said:

PJ_Soul said:

I don't think I'll ever go in this direction simply because re-compiling my entire digital music library is just unimaginable, and I don't want some on one device and some on another.... But it sounds pretty sweet. I do want one, but I just can't handle yet another music format switch. Wish they'd thought of this 8 or 10 years ago!!

I don't think I could ever not collect the physical media..that to me is what is so great about vinyl. I love the packaging, the art, the liner notes, lyrics... I want these things.

I also think illegal downloading of this FLAC-HD material will hurt it in the same ways downloading has taken away from conventional sales.
    I am loyal to vinyl all the way. I NEVER buy an album in digital format. I buy the vinyl and then get the free download. If it doesn't come with a free download (which aren't always available in FLAC), I convert the songs from youtube (which will never give me a FLAC file anyway). So really, I don't need FLAC files. I only listen to digital music when I'm out, walking around or on my computer at work. At home it is pretty much 100% vinyl (with the occasional CD thrown in).... So yeah, I doubt I'll even bother with the Pono.

Hey
    What program do you use to convert songs from youtube? Been lookin for a good way to convert?
    Thank you
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,445
    edited March 2014
    This Pono player and the hope of low cost FLAC files reminds me a lot of the hype surrounding Kindle e readers. Amazon created a perception that the kindle versions of books would be substantially cheaper than books because there was little to no production costs. So people paid a lot for first gen e readers but the promise of low cost media never really materialized like people thought. Years later you could still be paying up to $15 for a new release and even most books in paperback are around $9.99. But I can buy a brand new paperback book for under 7 bucks or even get a used copy in good condition for less than $4 shipping included.

Anyone forking over $400 for this player has plenty of disposable income and appreciates high quality music. So they're going to milk your pocketbook with premium priced files that most people wont be interested in.... Those FLAC files are always going to cost substantially more than mp3's. In this business model, the sale of the Pono player is almost immaterial other than it identifies a group of people who are willing to pay substantially more for music files. They will make 100x more money off the files than they ever will off the players.

I'm not knocking anyone's purchase by the way. We all buy "stuff" we don't really need but like because of the coolness factor.
    Post edited by on2legs on
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    *update

We just added Red Hot Chili Peppers + Jackson Browne to our Artist Signature Series! Check 'em out! Happy Saturday. http://kck.st/1g5xVf3
  • Options
    Horse2345 said:

PJ_Soul said:

MedozK said:

PJ_Soul said:

I don't think I'll ever go in this direction simply because re-compiling my entire digital music library is just unimaginable, and I don't want some on one device and some on another.... But it sounds pretty sweet. I do want one, but I just can't handle yet another music format switch. Wish they'd thought of this 8 or 10 years ago!!

I don't think I could ever not collect the physical media..that to me is what is so great about vinyl. I love the packaging, the art, the liner notes, lyrics... I want these things.

I also think illegal downloading of this FLAC-HD material will hurt it in the same ways downloading has taken away from conventional sales.
    I am loyal to vinyl all the way. I NEVER buy an album in digital format. I buy the vinyl and then get the free download. If it doesn't come with a free download (which aren't always available in FLAC), I convert the songs from youtube (which will never give me a FLAC file anyway). So really, I don't need FLAC files. I only listen to digital music when I'm out, walking around or on my computer at work. At home it is pretty much 100% vinyl (with the occasional CD thrown in).... So yeah, I doubt I'll even bother with the Pono.

Hey
    What program do you use to convert songs from youtube? Been lookin for a good way to convert?
    Thank you
    I use http://www.youtube-mp3.org/
    I've found this one to be the fastest and with the least adware. :)
  • Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,233
    PJ_Soul said:

Horse2345 said:

PJ_Soul said:

MedozK said:

PJ_Soul said:

Hey
    Thank you
    I use http://www.youtube-mp3.org/
    I've found this one to be the fastest and with the least adware. :)
    Thank you ;)
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    DollarDollar Posts: 237
    If you didn't get one on Wednesday,keep trying. Just got one as someone decided they didn't want it & I jumped on it! So happy! \:D/
  • Options
    Dollar said:

If you didn't get one on Wednesday,keep trying. Just got one as someone decided they didn't want it & I jumped on it! So happy! \:D/

Awesome!! :)

• Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,434
    Dollar said:

I've been doing the same thing, one time it showed 1 available, by the time I clicked through it was gone so obviously we aren't the only ones.

"Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    wasa1971wasa1971 Calgary, Canada Posts: 2,144
    edited March 2014
    I have watched the video a few times, and done some reading the last 24 hours, everyone is super excited about it. I'm buying one. October seems a long time away.
    Post edited by wasa1971 on
  • Options
    lolobugg said:

I bought one of the PJ PonoPlayers. I think some of the discussion here is hilarious. i consider myself an audiophile. i have been waiting anxiously for the PONO since Neil really started explaining it in his book a couple years ago. I have been waiting for a versatile player that was portable but would also play all the FLAC files that i have acquired over the years that previously have been down sampled to WAV in order to play. This also has the potential to cut into (slightly) my vinyl purchasing. example-Neil and Crazy Horse's last album went for $80 on vinyl. That is a ridiculous amount of money for a record even by master recording standards. I assume the PONO version would be decidedly less $ for the same quality.

You should get the blu-ray of Psychedelic Pill. It's the same quality as Pono albums will be, and includes an extra 30+ minute jam, which is great.
  • Options
    courtmcccourtmcc South Jersey Posts: 1,143
    morello said:

^^^ Sorry courtmcc, I don't know you, not trying to diss you, but I'd say you & others will afford it if you/they want to the same way so many afford extremely expensive(IMHO) iphones.

You're wrong. I'm not gonna spend money that much money on one thing. I wish I could but I won't. I'll rather buy concert tickets and I got my iPhone for free, but thanks for trying.

• Options
    The Pearl Jam pono player will come with signatures from each band member on it.
    Good news!
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,469

The Pearl Jam pono player will come with signatures from each band member on it.
    Good news!

Curious...Whats the source of this?

I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    KV4053 said:

Good news!

Curious...Whats the source of this?
    Pono Music customer service - so it's official.

• Options
    Project Update #4: A Message from Neil Young
    Posted by the PonoMusic Team Black heart (cards) Like

Thanks everyone for all of your support. It has been and continues to be gratifying to me to see how many of you are supporting Pono and our revolution in the way people can listen. Now we will have a choice that is as convenient as it is great sounding. We are celebrating our Freedom of Choice.

I especially want to thank Elliot Roberts for his tireless efforts to bring you the great signature artists we are offering with their special limited edition players. More signature artists seem to sign up every day! These artists love you to actually hear their creations exactly the way they were made. They, like myself, have been waiting a long time for Pono.

My talent at signing posters is getting a great workout. I’m happy to report that most of my signatures are legible. Ha Ha. I don’t think there will be any more posters offered though!

I just wanted to say thanks on behalf of everyone involved in PonoMusic.

We could not have done this without you.

Neil Young
  • Options
  • Options
    CJ260717CJ260717 Posts: 414
    So I still have my CDs, so what is the highest quality that I can rip them in flac? I assume that I can't hit the 192/24??

Also, I have been working on a collection of flac and have some that are 44/16. Does that mean they are really not that much better then an MP3?

I hate that all the music folks are gushing about the sound quality like it the first time they have ever heard anything like it. And besides they are the industry that brought us the cheap MP3 and they all made their $$.

Anyone else want to know what song Neil played for them??