Options

Pearl Jam limited edition chrome Pono Player

Comments

• Options
    tribejammer05tribejammer05 W'Ville, OH Posts: 696
    october22 said:

One Foo Fighters just popped up...for those who care

It was probably mine, haha. I dropped it when I saw a Pearl Jam Pono become available.
    "There's a $10,000 bill in it for you."
    "Oh yeah? Which president's on it?"
    "Uh, all of them. They're having a party. Jimmy Carter's passed out on the couch."

Columbus 2000
    Columbus 2003
    Hershey 2003
    Toledo 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Chicago/Lollapalooza 2007
    Columbus 2010
    Chicago/Wrigley 2013
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Portland 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,664
    Project Update #8: A message from the CEO of PonoMusic
    Posted by the PonoMusic Team Black heart (cards) Like

Wow! Thanks to all of you, we crossed the 10,000 PonoPlayer mark yesterday… and we are both gratified and delighted that so many people have pledged their support to the mission of great sounding digital music. I’d like to think we caused this - but I believe we only revealed it. The desire to have music sound like it should - like it does - is innate, and natural, and we all know it when we hear it. And clearly, there are thousands of music lovers who want to hear the music they love “the best it can be.”

Thank you to everyone who is on the march with us - the march to have a real choice in the quality of the digital music we listen to every day. As of March 18th, at 11:30 pm, we have 12,445 Kickstarter backers in our camp on this project, and we could not be more thrilled. Now, if every one of those people talks to just 10 more people…..we’re talking about a revolution.

The components in the PonoPlayer were chosen for their sound quality, and are not as readily available in high quantity (in the short run) as the electronic parts in other high volume consumer electronics products, like smart phones and game consoles. While we were hopeful the demand would be as it is, we knew we’d be limited by some short-term supply chain constraints if we reached the 10,000-unit level for our October promises. For those of you with your pledges committed, we will be working day and night to make our promised delivery timeframe.

While we are “sold out” for October shipments, we have opened up some additional availability of Yellow and Black PonoPlayers, with a delivery promise of December, 2014. And, no, at this point, we don’t know if that means “before Christmas,” but that would be our goal. Additionally, as new Artist Signature Series PonoPlayers are announced over the next couple weeks, they will also have a delivery date of December, 2014. We will be honing our forecasting methodology to align demand for PonoPlayers with some longer lead times on a few key parts, with the goal of shortening our delivery timeframes drastically in 2015.

Thank you for your support - we are humbled by your trust in us, and by your commitment to the mission of making the best sounding digital music easy and convenient for everyone to enjoy.

Regards,

John
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,434
    I might end up dropping my Foo Fighters one if I can't get a PJ one. Not 100% sure yet, but check as much as I can for a PJ one coming up. So if anyone decides they don't want their PJ one, please let me know! Thanks.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,552
    edited March 2014
    demetrios said:

on2legs said:

demetrios said:

13. How much will PonoMusic cost?

About $14.95 - $24.95 per album. Pricing is set by the record company.

:))
    That's not bad if you think about it. Cheaper then what https://www.hdtracks.com/ offers.
    What's bad & laughable are the folks who buy MP3's from iTunes.
    Here you're downloading HD Flacs.

80MB (mp3) for 10 dollars or 1GB (24Bit Flac) for 15 dollars?

Not really a fair comparison when you take the high end for mp3 pricing and the low end for Flac pricing. I'm betting that the majority of the Pono albums end up way closer to $24.95 than $14.95.

The files are the real business here, not the players. The developers have succeeded in getting 10,000 plus people to agree to buy music they already own at $25 an album. Seems crazy to me especially when it's all digital and there is no actual album that needs to be pressed, packaged, handled, or shipped. The actual player is important though, because once people fork over $400 for one the developers know people will be pressured to buy the more expensive files to justify the money they just spent on a limited edition music player. Pretty genius marketing move.
    Post edited by on2legs on
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    https://www.facebook.com/NeilYoungPono

A Note about Pledging & Multiple Rewards on Kickstarter:

It is only possible to pledge ONCE on a single Kickstarter account. If you pledge again on the same account, it will OVERRIDE your previous pledge and reward selection. We recommend creating a a second Kickstarter account, which can be linked to the same Amazon account (and therefore the same credit card). Thanks for the support.

• Options
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2014/03/19/291130878/neil-young-wants-you-to-truly-hear-music

18:31 minute video

Neil Young Wants You To Truly Hear Music
    by Bob Boilen

Neil Young wants you to truly hear the music you listen to. Over the years, the trend in audio has prioritized convenience over quality. Last week at , I had a conversation with Neil Young about an idea he has to change that trend. In this interview, he talks about , the new audio player he's been helping develop. Just before the interview, I spent time listening to Pono. It's impressive. Pono translates from Hawaiian to mean righteous, and the intent is to honor recorded music and get it into the hands of fans without compromising the sound.

The player is about the size of your hand and triangular in shape, with a few buttons to adjust the volume and start and stop a song. There's a small screen that will let you see what's playing and swipe to see other screens. Along with the player, there will be a Pono store that allows you to buy the highest quality version of the music available, in whatever form the "master" recordings of a song or album are stored. The player and the store are scheduled to launch in the fall.

• Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,876
    demetrios said:
    D, Thanks for posting. Vinteresting to hear Neil and Bob talk Pono. Can't wait to hear the difference in Oct :D
  • Options
    Project Update #9: Two More Artist Signature Series Players Added!
    Posted by the PonoMusic Team ♥ Like

Hi all,

For those who were asking for Neil Young & Crazy Horse Artist Signature Series players, they are UP!

Also, for those asking for more indie artists, we added the fantastic Tegan and Sara to the roster too.

More news to come...

Happy Friday!
  • Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,535
    Project Update #9: Two More Artist Signature Series Players Added!
    Posted by the PonoMusic Team ♥ Like
    Hi all,

For those who were asking for Neil Young & Crazy Horse Artist Signature Series players, they are UP!

Also, for those asking for more indie artists, we added the fantastic Tegan and Sara to the roster too.

More news to come...

Happy Friday!

• Options
    tribejammer05tribejammer05 W'Ville, OH Posts: 696
    Neil Young and Crazy Horse editions just went up. Issue is that these won't ship until December. People may continue to drop Pearl Jam Ponos for these so keep checking! My Dad was able to score one just a few minutes ago.
    "There's a $10,000 bill in it for you."
    "Oh yeah? Which president's on it?"
    "Uh, all of them. They're having a party. Jimmy Carter's passed out on the couch."

Columbus 2000
    Columbus 2003
    Hershey 2003
    Toledo 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Chicago/Lollapalooza 2007
    Columbus 2010
    Chicago/Wrigley 2013
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Portland 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    edited March 2014
    Yo, just a heads up. This morning, Pono put up a NY with Crazy Horse edition so there's been some movement on the previously sold out players. The Pearl Jam one has been popping up (and Poo Fighters, too).
  • Options
    Ha, guess I was a hair late with the info. Anyway, I scored a PJ this morning too. Now there are 5 FF's back up too. Looks like a lot of people are dropping those for the new ones.

PS: I'm only in this because it's a bday gift. I could not afford this shit otherwise but I do think it's pretty cool.
  • Options
    Whoa! 219 Neil Young & Crazy Horse Signature Series PonoPlayer orders placed in a matter of minutes!! @-)
  • Options
    demetrios said:

Whoa! 219 Neil Young & Crazy Horse Signature Series PonoPlayer orders placed in a matter of minutes!! @-)

I know, pretty crazy. However, I've been watching the numbers of backers and total dollars. The change in those numbers isn't reflective of all the sold NYCH editions. That's because many people are just swapping. If you look, many of the first edition October (previously sold out) black and yellows are up. There have also been several PJ and Foo's plus others. Most people are trading it seems. They'll all probably disapear again though once these are gone.

• Options
    october22 said:

demetrios said:

I know, pretty crazy. However, I've been watching the numbers of backers and total dollars. The change in those numbers isn't reflective of all the sold NYCH editions. That's because many people are just swapping. If you look, many of the first edition October (previously sold out) black and yellows are up. There have also been several PJ and Foo's plus others. Most people are trading it seems. They'll all probably disapear again though once these are gone.

Just noticed the Tom Petty players. From Sold Out to 3 now it's @ 14.

• Options
    demetrios said:

october22 said:

demetrios said:

Just noticed the Tom Petty players. From Sold Out to 3 now it's @ 14.

Exactly. They've taken in just over $20,000 since this morning (which is a lot of money) but that's only 50 players.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,618
    mother fucker. Neil Young and Crazy Horse. They got me!
  • Options
    You know, as tempting as all of these "signed" PONO players that are showing up are, I'm still not biting.
    I'm very happy with my hand signed Neil poster - that technology will always be in vogue, all that's needed is a frame.
    LONG LIVE NEIL YOUNG!
  • Options
    shecky said:

You know, as tempting as all of these "signed" PONO players that are showing up are, I'm still not biting.
    I'm very happy with my hand signed Neil poster - that technology will always be in vogue, all that's needed is a frame.
    LONG LIVE NEIL YOUNG!

Yeah yeah, just buy it already.
  • Options
    weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    since when did eggs cost $12 in a restaurant
  • Options

You lost me on that one...

• Options
    weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    i illegally downloaded the new cd because eggs are $12 and i cant afford neither
  • Options
    JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    I just switched my pledge from the Foo Fighters to Pearl Jam.

Thank you to whomever jumped off the PJ pledge list.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    Well, I like the artists to get paid so I don't eat in restaurants.
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    shecky said:

You lost me on that one...

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/110030/vedder-fears-ticket-price-hike

I feel like the article was actually older than 2007 though.
  • Options
    Pledge $400 or more

 500 backers All gone!

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: NEIL YOUNG WITH CRAZY HORSE – Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks

Those sure didn't last long - way to go Neil!!!
  • Options
    shecky said:

Pledge $400 or more

 500 backers All gone!

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: NEIL YOUNG WITH CRAZY HORSE – Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks

WOW!! That was fast!!

@-)
  • Options
    I've been watching this and they actually just made $100,000 dollars in four hours. Pretty crazy.
  • Options
    JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    So when it says the artist will preload their top two favorite albums, I'm assuming that means PJ's Pono comes with two PJ albums.

If that's the case, I bet it's Ten and Lightning Bolt.

If it's other artist, maybe The Who and The Ramones.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    demetrios said:

shecky said:

Pledge $400 or more

 500 backers All gone!

WOW!! That was fast!!

@-)
    What's REALLY amazing is I finally beat Demetrios to an update!!!
    I'm new to this posting thing but I'm starting to get the hang imageof it.
    >:D<