Options

Pearl Jam limited edition chrome Pono Player

Comments

• Options
    aurynsdadaurynsdad Posts: 773
    boyo79 said:

You guys be crazy. $400+ on something that you don't know what it's gonna look like it but it's ok cos it says Pearl Jam on it?!!?

A serious case of people with more money than common sense!

No, it's a good investment. Much better than a Benaroya. That's the only reason I'm bummed I missed it. Because these will go for $1000 easily.
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525

E

boyo79 said:

You guys be crazy. $400+ on something that you don't know what it's gonna look like it but it's ok cos it says Pearl Jam on it?!!?

Why? The retail version has a "stated" price of 399 dollars. So 400 for a limited PJ version (you can see how the chrome looks on the bottom of the page) with two albums - whats so weird about buying that?
    Don't kid yourself, the majority have purchased this because of the sigs that may or may not be there. They haven't bought it to play the damn thing!!
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    nigelnigel Posts: 267
    boyo79 said:

I got one because I think it's a brilliant concept (that I want to support) and I can't wait to hear how music sounds at this level of quality. The fact that it has Pearl Jam on it and is a limited edition is great added bonus.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    I will just wait and pay $50 for a standard version in about 3 years ...if its still around.
  • Options
    weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    ^^^^ LOL

i just bought a new blu ray stand alone player. got it for like $50 ;)
  • Options
    nigel said:

boyo79 said:

I got one because I think it's a brilliant concept (that I want to support) and I can't wait to hear how music sounds at this level of quality. The fact that it has Pearl Jam on it and is a limited edition is great added bonus.
    Word, sadly some people don,t care about sound, and listen to good music through computer or TV speakers. Can't wait to hear what it sounds like.
    Rock Werchter 4 july - 2010, Arras 3 july - 2010, Berlin Wuhlheide - June 30, 2010, Odyssey arena Belfast - 23 june 2010, O2 arena Dublin - june 22 2010, O2 arena London - Aug 18, 2009, Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009, Berlin Wuhlheide - Aug 15, 2009, Copenhagen 2007-06-26 Forum, London 2007-06-18 Wembley Arena, Prague 2006-09-22 Sazka Arena, Denmark 2000-06-30 Roskilde Festival, Stockholm on August 12th Mirrorball tour with Neil Young, Oslo 1993-06-27 Isle of Calf Festival(Kalvoya), Oslo Secret Club Concert 1993-06-26 Sentrum Scene
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,205
    MedozK said:

I will just wait and pay $50 for a standard version in about 3 years ...if its still around.

what's the cheapest new ipod these days?
  • Options
    weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    edited March 2014
    cheapest new ipod is the mini $50
    you don't need to have everything right away
    Post edited by weddingparade on
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Can't wait, to trade my Auto'd poster and t-shirt for two players. :))
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,205

cheapest new ipod is the mini $50
    you don't need to have everything right away

an ipod mini is not a standard ipod.

no, you certainly don't need everything right away. but if you want it, expect to pay more than you would in 3 years time. that ain't rocket science. what's a ps3 cost these days? $250? they were $5-600 bucks in 2006. it's how these things work. good for you if you'd prefer to wait- you'll get a price break. whoopdee do!
  • Options
    dcp3ydcp3y Louisville KY Posts: 777
    Thank you to the PJ fans who bought out the signature series; made my decision easier and cheaper settling for the regular version. I waffled about it all last night and was ready to spring after work today. Now hoping for a different/better outcome than SACD and DVD-A. Excited that Neil is having his dream come true. Rooting for this to be a big hit!
  • Options
    aurynsdadaurynsdad Posts: 773
    If anyone who is buying one of these is anywhere near Ukiah, CA, I'd love to hear the thing after they ship. I'm really curious how much of this extra bit-rate stuff is audible for me.
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    I wouldn't knock anyone for paying $400 for one of the sig series. After all, it's going to retail for $400 anyway. Personally, if I do buy one, I'll buy it to use it and not as a collector's item so I'll probably save the $100 and buy the standard model. I'm gonna sit on it for a month though and decide then. Also, $300-$400 is really not a bad deal at all when you consider that you're buying something more akin to a new stereo rather than an ipod. That's how I see it anyway.

Side note, I kind of like the orange and black but it's listed as "yellow". Every screen I've seen it on it shows up as orange.

Orange is better than yellow. That's all I'm saying.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,850
    With Pearl Jam backing up Pono, let's hope their social media pages are also advertising Pono Music as well. And not just inferior iTunes music.
  • Options
    JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    Damn I was overseas and did not see this until now. PJ is sold out so I got the Foo Fighters.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,521
    aurynsdad said:

boyo79 said:

No, it's a good investment. Much better than a Benaroya. That's the only reason I'm bummed I missed it. Because these will go for $1000 easily.
    ^^^

That actually made me laugh out loud.

Hard.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Not buying this at all..literally.

Seems like a lot of crap. Do you really need a high end audiophile portable music player?

Im just fine with my ipod and turntable.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    Just gotta say ... the whole kickstarter thing is very clever marketing my Mr Young & his team.
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    RocketninoRocketnino SLO, CA Posts: 42
    Figure I can test drive it, and see if I like, and if not, find another PJ fan who would appreciate it. We'll see how it sounds, honestly curious.

On the headphones topic - absolutely love my Bowers and Wilkins P5 pair. Sound amazing!
  • Options
    100 Pacer said:

aurynsdad said:

boyo79 said:

^^^

That actually made me laugh out loud.

Hard.
    which part??
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,286
    There are still 33 days to go and this has already raised $2,242,158, almost 3 times their target figure!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options

nigel said:

boyo79 said:

Word, sadly some people don,t care about sound, and listen to good music through computer or TV speakers. Can't wait to hear what it sounds like.
    I'll admit I know very little about Pono, I'd only heard about it through this thread and I stand by that the majority have gone for this PJ one because they hope there is sigs on it, albeit laser-engraved ones. Many won't even play it. Now it may well be the next step in digital music players but it could also be the next flash in the pan. We'll see.

• Options
    goldrush said:

There are still 33 days to go and this has already raised $2,242,158, almost 3 times their target figure!

Neil Young is clearly a good salesman!

• Options
    tcadd94tcadd94 North Jersey Posts: 611
    I'd rather have the Benny...

I'll wait for it to come out and see if it lives up to all the hype.
    I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
    Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
  • Options
    -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    It will be interesting to hear the reviews when it is released. The idea of buying music again that I already own doesn't really appeal to me at the moment though (I know you'll be able to play your own files though)!
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,710
    boyo79 said:

nigel said:

boyo79 said:

I'll admit I know very little about Pono, I'd only heard about it through this thread and I stand by that the majority have gone for this PJ one because they hope there is sigs on it, albeit laser-engraved ones. Many won't even play it. Now it may well be the next step in digital music players but it could also be the next flash in the pan. We'll see.

I couldn't give a monkeys whatever it is - the next ipod or the next monster flop.

I will hold up my hand and say I bought it because it says Pearl Jam on it, Im unlikely to play it, and Im more than happy with that.

I wouldn't say people don't know what it will look like, the Bio page on the product is very detailed and there are various images.

I also wouldn't believe I have more money than common sense, that is a crazy generalisation. I collect Pearl jam items, that aint rocket science, and limited edition items that sell out within 24 hours are obviously going to be solid collectibles in the long run.
  • Options
    Release EVRelease EV Posts: 2,001
    edited March 2014
    pdalowsky said:

boyo79 said:

nigel said:

boyo79 said:

I couldn't give a monkeys whatever it is - the next ipod or the next monster flop.

I will hold up my hand and say I bought it because it says Pearl Jam on it, Im unlikely to play it, and Im more than happy with that.

I wouldn't say people don't know what it will look like, the Bio page on the product is very detailed and there are various images.

I also wouldn't believe I have more money than common sense, that is a crazy generalisation. I collect Pearl jam items, that aint rocket science, and limited edition items that sell out within 24 hours are obviously going to be solid collectibles in the long run.
    Never a truer word said. I concur. Probably the only thing I wouldn't buy is an ed ved signed boys II men "end of the road" rare 12" single in marble pink with aqua/turquoise polka dots on a press of 1. Mainly because polka dots ain't my thing
  • Options
    Release EVRelease EV Posts: 2,001
    edited March 2014
    Okay I'm not saying totally no. Anyone have the rolf Harris waka waka "stairway to heaven" single on vinyl and the pj pono is yours
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    october22 said:

Fuck.

I really want this. I remember seeing NY talk about it on Letterman and have been interested since. One problem is that I really should not be spending $300-$400 on anything right now, let alone something I really don't "need".

Also, I'm wresting with the whole "new format" thing. I love vinyl. That's where I spend my money on albums that I know are worth it. Am I now going to have decide between vinyl and Pono? Pono music looks to be very expensive (between 20-25 bucks an album). No way I'm spending $50 on average to have both the vinyl and digital format of a record. That leaves me in most cases to have to choose between the two and I just can't see myself abandoning physical for digital (no matter how good the digital may be).

Anyone else wrestling with this?

This is pretty much where I was and why I decided to pass, for now. Im just building/re-building my music library in vinyl form, which has been very fulfilling and also a bit expensive. To go to another format at this time just feels like a waste of money. Portably, I usually have music fairly quiet and in the background, such as work. MP3s work.

went from buying all sorts of CDs at 12-15 a pop
    to free music
    to buying vinyl at 1.99-150 a pop
    not ready to add another format for me to dump dollars into another collection (yet).
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,166
    I passed on it as well. I'm a pretty big fan of the Cowon line of players (they make pretty high end flac/mp3 players). I think I paid about $250 for Cowon s9 4 years ago and its still gong strong.

Phones tend use music as an afterthough. The cowon's have pretty good DAC's in them and they make excellent standalone players.

I'm not entirely sure I need Flac HD while I'm riding the bus to work or going for a walk on my lunch break. Regular FLAC has always given me the option of ripping a cd from collection and storing it on the PC to use as I please. It didn't cost me a nickel in content to make the CD to FLAC jumpover :)