Options

Pearl Jam limited edition chrome Pono Player

Comments

• Options
    courtmcccourtmcc South Jersey Posts: 1,143
    I AM 21 YEARS OLD. HOW AM I GOING TO AFFORD SOMETHING LIKE THAT?
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    edited March 2014
    ^^^ Sorry courtmcc, I don't know you, not trying to diss you, but I'd say you & others will afford it if you/they want to the same way so many afford extremely expensive(IMHO) iphones.
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    Release EVRelease EV Posts: 2,002

RD101189 said:

I wonder how many of the 500 were bought with the intention of flipping them. :-?

400+
    Ha, my first thought was 490
    There is a difference between collecting and flipping. I would revisit that number
  • Options
    mj61mj61 Posts: 58
    I'd rather throw down on some vinyl...but hey, that's just me.
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329

RD101189 said:

I wonder how many of the 500 were bought with the intention of flipping them. :-?

400+
    Ha, my first thought was 490
    There is a difference between collecting and flipping. I would revisit that number
    There is a huge difference. A very high number of these will go for big $, however.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    I see a good solid resale market for these, and one I am very glad to avoid. Remember the prices the first ipods reached, which was crazy. albeit they were limited to only 200
  • Options
    now theres a metallica one
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    1000 more posters too and the VIP dinner is open again. You folks should petition for more Pearl Jam models to be added.
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    mcatake said:

Oh Neil.....so right now on the home page of neilyoung.com is an article regarding how bad the pollution in china is...and then there is this from the kickstarter page "The PonoPlayer will be built by PCH International (Cork, Ireland and San Francisco), with its production facilities in Shenzhen, China. "

Really Neil?

:))
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,359
    jamburger said:

1000 more posters too and the VIP dinner is open again. You folks should petition for more Pearl Jam models to be added.

While that would be nice, the FAQ in newsletter #2 stated they would not add any more signature editions for any artist. I just imagine it will be more artists...
  • Options
    RD101189RD101189 A distant time, a distant space Posts: 454
    Spoken said:

I agree-
    I don't normally like Kickstarter-
    But I did get the Neil Young signed poster-
    (I'm getting something I always wanted for my money)
    I feel like this particular Kickstarter was to generate interest in the product-
    And I really hope this product succeeds.

I just cancelled my signed poster pledge as they just added 1000 more to make it 1500 signed. Thought I was buying something limited to 500 copies but nooooooo. [-(
    09/08/1992 - Phoenix, AZ
    07/08/1998 - Phoenix, AZ
    10/21/2000 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/19/2013 - Phoenix, AZ
    10/22/2014 - Denver, CO
    05/09/2022 - Phoenix, AZ
    09/22/2022 - Denver, CO
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,434
    Been sick and haven't been online, missed the PJ ones, but picked up a Foo Fighters one.

Sucker for this sort of stuff, and I hate my Ipod sound so I hope it's worth it.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    RD101189 said:

Spoken said:

I agree-
    I feel like this particular Kickstarter was to generate interest in the product-

I just cancelled my signed poster pledge as they just added 1000 more to make it 1500 signed. Thought I was buying something limited to 500 copies but nooooooo. [-(
    Cancelled my poster order too. You can't changes the rules in the middle of the game. [-(
  • Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,441
    HERE'S THE LATEST PONO UPDATE - MORE SIGNED NEIL YOUNG POSTERS AVAILABLE!!!

Project Update #3: Happy Friday! MORE REWARDS!
    Posted by the PonoMusic Team ♥ Like
    Hi all,

We are so incredibly grateful for your support that we have been really working to get more rewards for you! So here we have it...

We added 30 more VIP DINNER & LISTENING PARTY WITH NEIL YOUNG rewards, this time in NEW YORK.

We added 1,000 more signed CARNEGIE HALL POSTERS.

We added another kickass artist to our Signature Series: METALLICA.

Stay righteous,

the PonoMusic Team

• Options
    RD101189 said:

Spoken said:

I agree-

surely a poster signed by Neil Young is worth $100 all day long limited or not?
  • Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,441
    "surely a poster signed by Neil Young is worth $100 all day long limited or not?"
    Sure is to me.
    I say "Keep the ball rollin' Neil - strike while the iron's hot!"
    Good luck to Neil and PONO!
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,912
    jamburger said:

Just imagine if they do sell another 500 signature Chrome Pono Player's, but it's signed by only Eddie Vedder.

• Options
    demetrios said:

jamburger said:

Just imagine if they do sell another 500 signature Chrome Pono Player's, but it's signed by only Eddie Vedder.

i guess i'd end up with two of those fuckers
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355

demetrios said:

jamburger said:

i guess i'd end up with two of those fuckers

:)) that's what I was thinking, too. :)
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    Anyone else think about this? All of the testimonials were made after they listened to the Pono in Neil's fancy white car. This is a millionaire rock stars car . What do you think he put in there for a sound system? Hi-end speakers no doubt.

"Lincvolt will feature the world's best sounding audio system, PureTone.

Taking full advantage of Cloud based libraries of recordings by your favorite artists, Lincvolt will simply sound like no other car on earth. Lincvolt passengers will enjoy PureTone "Studio Quality Sound," the actual sound heard by the artists and producers when they created the original recordings, making Lincvolt audio sound superior in quality and digital resolution to any music ever heard in a car." Taken from http://neilyoungnews.thrasherswheat.org/2011/07/puretone-lincvolt-cloud-based-audio.html

Doesn't even mention using the Pono here.

The Pono won't make cheap speakers sound better. The music you hear will be limited by what you're playing the music through. Cheap headphones, cheap ear buds, cheap car stereo... the Pono won't immediately turn your listening experience around. You're going to have to re-fit your vehicle with a sound system capable of delivering Hi-Fi sound. If it sounds too good to be true...

I've been losing respect for Neil over the last little while. I'm glad he wants digital music to sound better, but I think he's losing in the honesty and integrity departments. What someone said earlier about his Pono being made in China while he thinks China is so polluted.

Hypo-critin in the Free World.

Goodluck to all in the Pono venture. I feel you're going to need it.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    JH57554JH57554 Posts: 245
    edited March 2014
    evsgjamm said:

Anyone else think about this? All of the testimonials were made after they listened to the Pono in Neil's fancy white car. This is a millionaire rock stars car . What do you think he put in there for a sound system? Hi-end speakers no doubt.

"Lincvolt will feature the world's best sounding audio system, PureTone.

Taking full advantage of Cloud based libraries of recordings by your favorite artists, Lincvolt will simply sound like no other car on earth. Lincvolt passengers will enjoy PureTone "Studio Quality Sound," the actual sound heard by the artists and producers when they created the original recordings, making Lincvolt audio sound superior in quality and digital resolution to any music ever heard in a car." Taken from http://neilyoungnews.thrasherswheat.org/2011/07/puretone-lincvolt-cloud-based-audio.html

Doesn't even mention using the Pono here.

The Pono won't make cheap speakers sound better. The music you hear will be limited by what you're playing the music through. Cheap headphones, cheap ear buds, cheap car stereo... the Pono won't immediately turn your listening experience around. You're going to have to re-fit your vehicle with a sound system capable of delivering Hi-Fi sound. If it sounds too good to be true...

I've been losing respect for Neil over the last little while. I'm glad he wants digital music to sound better, but I think he's losing in the honesty and integrity departments. What someone said earlier about his Pono being made in China while he thinks China is so polluted.

Hypo-critin in the Free World.

Goodluck to all in the Pono venture. I feel you're going to need it.

PureTone and Pono are the same thing. That article you link to is a few years old, back when Neil was still calling it PureTone. The name officially changed to Pono in the last year or two.
  • Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    Thanks for the info. It would be wise of me to have known that for my arguments are somewhat void in part of my post now. My bad. I stand by my view that the Pono will need to be played through a source that is capable of showcasing all that the Pono claims. A dud sound system won't work imo. $400 is the minimum investment. You'd be wise to spend more on better speakers to fully enjoy the sounds the Pono claims to deliver, or else what's the point right? If you want to hear that warm, full-bodied analog sound as is heard on a vinyl record played through a great system, you'll need the equipment to accompany the Pono's implied performance. Hence my goodluck to all: Sounds like a pretty expensive venture.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,575
    I don't think I'll ever go in this direction simply because re-compiling my entire digital music library is just unimaginable, and I don't want some on one device and some on another.... But it sounds pretty sweet. I do want one, but I just can't handle yet another music format switch. Wish they'd thought of this 8 or 10 years ago!!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited March 2014
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't think I'll ever go in this direction simply because re-compiling my entire digital music library is just unimaginable, and I don't want some on one device and some on another.... But it sounds pretty sweet. I do want one, but I just can't handle yet another music format switch. Wish they'd thought of this 8 or 10 years ago!!

I don't think I could ever not collect the physical media..that to me is what is so great about vinyl. I love the packaging, the art, the liner notes, lyrics... I want these things.

I also think illegal downloading of this FLAC-HD material will hurt it in the same ways downloading has taken away from conventional sales.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    SmitreSmitre Posts: 68
    PJ_Soul said:

You don't have to recompile anything. It will play all of your current digital music and the higher quality digital files you start to acquire going forward. All-in-one, no switching devices.

This is a perfect opportunity for me because I never invested in mp3's or any mp3 player.

www.givelife.org [Red Cross Blood Donation]
    1-800-GiveLife 1-800-448-3543
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    How flippable is an mp3 player with laser printed autographs? Not sure what the appeal is unless you were definitely going to try out pono anyway.
  • Options
    Smitre said:

PJ_Soul said:

You don't have to recompile anything. It will play all of your current digital music and the higher quality digital files you start to acquire going forward. All-in-one, no switching devices.

This is a perfect opportunity for me because I never invested in mp3's or any mp3 player.

Oh, well that changes things! I thought it was only for FLAC ..... When they are down to around $200 maybe I'll get one! :D;) Not a big fan of the shape of the thing though, so still maybe not. I carry my mp3 player in my front pocket. That triangle-shaped bar will look pretty funny and probably not be entirely comfortable either. They should make it flat. Still a good idea though.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    yeah, thats where I am. Usually when I let the clock run out on a limited item I immediately regret it... but this one, Im happy I stayed away.
    This pono is kind of for a niche of a niche. Laser-autographs really dont do it for me.
  • Options
    MedozK said:

PJ_Soul said:

I don't think I could ever not collect the physical media..that to me is what is so great about vinyl. I love the packaging, the art, the liner notes, lyrics... I want these things.

I also think illegal downloading of this FLAC-HD material will hurt it in the same ways downloading has taken away from conventional sales.
    I am loyal to vinyl all the way. I NEVER buy an album in digital format. I buy the vinyl and then get the free download. If it doesn't come with a free download (which aren't always available in FLAC), I convert the songs from youtube (which will never give me a FLAC file anyway). So really, I don't need FLAC files. I only listen to digital music when I'm out, walking around or on my computer at work. At home it is pretty much 100% vinyl (with the occasional CD thrown in).... So yeah, I doubt I'll even bother with the Pono.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    As an audiophile im interested but even if it survives this will probably be pretty small. The target group is digital audiophiles. Teens and college kids wont want to pay twice as much per song especially on a player with no apps or trendy interface. Most will never even take advantage of pono's abilities because most headphones will be the weak link in the chain.