Comments

• Options
    evsgjamm said:

Nirvana Pono just added!

U bring so much to the thread
    IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!
  • Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,106
    My bad Greatplansman - a little trigger happy. Shot myself in the foot. Had an epiphany this morning (sans coffee) that maybe Nirvana was included in the list of artists signature series; did a search as soon as i opened up the laptop, saw "Nirvana" pop up and mad the ass move to hit the PJ thread without reading further. All Apologies ;)
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,239
    october22 said:

Yes, scroll through the comments. Pono acknowledged the mistake and the price of $440 was wrong too. Look through the LE's and you'll see the zz top x of 500 offer

I see the update to 500 now. I bet the person who snagged what looked to be the 1 of 1 ZZ Top is pissed now that there's 500. I wonder if he/she moved their pledge from another artist series because they figured the ZZ Top would be even more rare.

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203
    How many of ya's are stalking the page most of the day waiting for a Pearl Jam one to come available?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,753
    edited April 2014

How many of ya's are stalking the page most of the day waiting for a Pearl Jam one to come available?

I kind of was, but then it took too long and I spent all my PONO money on records, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    PJ_Soul said:

I kind of was, but then it took too long and I spent all my PONO money on records, lol.
    :))
  • Options
    whoyouare72whoyouare72 Chicago IL Posts: 2,093

I have been and I just SCORED A PJ PONO! WOO HOO!!!!

• Options
    My Foo I gave up is still available
  • Options

I have been and I just SCORED A PJ PONO! WOO HOO!!!!

Right on, congrats!

Alright folks, I'm about ready to step away from my computer for a while again so one should be popping up here momentarily! :- /

• Options
    Pono's Kickstarter Ends Tuesday, April 15, at 1:30pm est.
    Spread the word if you Love music!
    :-B
    IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,877
    Any word from Neil, etc on what till happen to or how the distribution will occur for the limited artist sig models that do not sell during the Kickstarter campaign?
  • Options
    I believe they remain in on-line store for purchase.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    The cool thing to do would be to make them unavailable but that probably won't happen. At a minimum they should be a little more expensive than the $400 offered to the early backers.
  • Options
    tribejammer05tribejammer05 W'Ville, OH Posts: 696

I believe they remain in on-line store for purchase.

Correct - they'll be available on the Pono Music store after the Kickstarter ends, but for a higher price I think. Then the standard ones will be available for $400.
    "There's a $10,000 bill in it for you."
    "Oh yeah? Which president's on it?"
    "Uh, all of them. They're having a party. Jimmy Carter's passed out on the couch."

Columbus 2000
    Columbus 2003
    Hershey 2003
    Toledo 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Chicago/Lollapalooza 2007
    Columbus 2010
    Chicago/Wrigley 2013
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Portland 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

=))
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,827
    Project Update #21: A Message to Artists, from Neil Young
    Posted by the PonoMusic Team ♥ Like
    A message to Artists:

First, we say “thanks” to all of you artists who have been here with Pono since the beginning. We are deeply grateful for your encouragement and support.

When you and your recording team go into a studio or recording environment to create your latest music, there are many choices for you to make. Besides the studios, songs, players, singers, producers, engineers, microphones, and other equipment, you have the ability to choose from the numerous digital resolutions at your disposal to capture your sound. This is where Pono can make a giant difference.

Now, whatever resolution you choose to employ for your recording process, your masters can be heard by your listeners exactly as you created them. You no longer have to be satisfied with MP3 or CD being what your fans hear. Pono plays back anything you can create, just as you made it, in the digital domain. 

Even if you record in analog, when you mix your songs and record them to an analog 2 track, you can copy that to the digital resolution you choose (preferably the highest) and have your listeners hear that exact recording.

If you are an artist who has been recording for years and this has been your life and always will be, your original creations in analog can be transferred to the highest quality digital and heard anew with Pono. No longer do your original recordings have to be the compressed sound of CDs and MP3s. It’s all up to you. It is in your power to rescue your art and bring it into the 21st or record company and learn how to make that available to your listeners on Pono.

If you are a new artist, always released on MP3s and CDs, then your horizon has just been radically expanded. You can now record in whatever resolution you choose and your fans will hear the same quality you heard in the studio. You no longer have to lose part of your sound when it goes to the people. You probably know what I mean, having heard your creation when you mixed it, feeling that rush, only to be let down by the end product, the product your audience has had to accept. You probably know it was better when you first heard it than what they got. That is over. You are no longer limited by a format. Now your audience can hear what you hear.

Go back to your digital masters and see what they sounded like compared to what was released. Now, if you want to, they can all be released in their original glory. If you elect to, you can make the higher-resolution sources of your CDs and MP3s available to your listeners on Pono. It doesn’t matter what resolution you originally employed; if it is higher than what was released, and you can hear the difference, your fans can hear it. They deserve the best and Pono delivers it for you. Pono plays anything back just as you made it.

In the studio, with your brand new creations, high resolution is a great option. Resolutions are all different in their depths and textures. These can be used, and mixed together. A hook can be recorded in a higher resolution than the track it sits on, further setting it apart in your creation. So can a vocal. Resolution is a new tool for you to use. As long as you mix in the highest resolution found in your creation, or higher, everything will be captured. Especially, real echo and acoustic instruments, like drums, benefit from higher resolutions. Don’t take anyone’s word for this. Listen for yourself. Make your own decision. It’s an artistic right you have.

Doing this does not mean you cannot still make CDs and MP3s. They can be derived from your original masters.

Your choices matter now more than ever before because your fans will hear the difference. Thousands of documented Pono listens have proven that music lovers can tell the difference between what they had before with CDs and MP3s and what they can have now with Pono. Look at the videos on ponomusic.com and see the reactions. Those are your people. They feel more from the music with Pono.

High quality digital is wonderful to hear and sense. It is the sound of the 21st Century. Almost no one has heard it outside the studio. As artists, with Ponomusic, we have renewed opportunities for expression that have long been lost.

The Ponomusic player can bring new light to all of your creations through Ponomusic.

Record companies, this is an opportunity to rescue the art of recorded sound. Why should a Frank Sinatra recording or an Adelle recording or a Nirvana, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Who, or classical recording be limited to the CD format for the future? This music is world cultural history. All of this cultural history should be preserved for enjoyment of the people in its highest possible form forever. In the 21st Century, people, and art, deserve this technology.

Bring it on. Now, as never before, it is possible.

Our listeners should hear what we heard.

Thanks for listening.

Neil Young

Pono
  • Options
    i got idi got id Posts: 864
    Been trying for a while now...saw one available but just missed it
  • Options
    i got id said:

Been trying for a while now...saw one available but just missed it

fucking impossible. just total luck really - last time i sat and F5'd all day i ended up with PJ20 tickets and vowed never to do that again - just take my chances. will definitely be the same here!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    Why do you think it is that Pearl Jam has been sold out for weeks and bands let RHCP, KoL, Metallica, Dave Matthews, Beck etc have some many left?

My theory is because PJ is different than those other bands in one big way and that is that no one ever asks if the other bands are "still around." It illustrates the gulf between the casual fan and the superfan. Either you're obsessed with PJ, or you think they broke up after Vitalogy and haven't made a record in twenty years. Those other bands however, just about every dude on the street will say something like "uh, yeah, they're alright." I highly doubt he can spent 15 minutes talking about a poster from a show in 2003 that he wasn't even at.

And as for Foo Fighters being sold out, that's a farce. They're only sold out because they were every Pearl Jam fan's second choice...
  • Options
    U make some good points.
    october22 said:

Why do you think it is that Pearl Jam has been sold out for weeks and bands let RHCP, KoL, Metallica, Dave Matthews, Beck etc have some many left?

My theory is because PJ is different than those other bands in one big way and that is that no one ever asks if the other bands are "still around." It illustrates the gulf between the casual fan and the superfan. Either you're obsessed with PJ, or you think they broke up after Vitalogy and haven't made a record in twenty years. Those other bands however, just about every dude on the street will say something like "uh, yeah, they're alright." I highly doubt he can spent 15 minutes talking about a poster from a show in 2003 that he wasn't even at.

And as for Foo Fighters being sold out, that's a farce. They're only sold out because they were every Pearl Jam fan's second choice...

IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    october22 said:

I think that PJ has a lot of collector based fans, and secondary market sales people know this.
  • Options
    amw101282amw101282 Wisconsin Posts: 185
    Just got a PJ PONO. Special for me cuz my dad died three years ago today.
    {Alpine Valley '03/United Center '06/Summerfest '06 (Both Nights!!)/Alpine Valley '11 (PJ20) (Both Nights!!)/Wrigley Field '13}

"a truant finds home, and a wish to hold on too, he saw the trapdoor in the sun, immortality" PLEASE SUPPORT CCFA!!!
  • Options
    amw101282 said:

Just got a PJ PONO. Special for me cuz my dad died three years ago today.

You just got one? Like now? Good onya man!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    MedozK said:

october22 said:

I think that PJ has a lot of collector based fans, and secondary market sales people know this.
    That would be my response as well.
  • Options
    jomaryjomary Posts: 410
    Metallica fans might still be afraid they are going to sue them if they load their mp3s on there.

The only red flag I see on Pono's site is the album cost are going to range from 14.99 - 24.99 and there is no word on what they are going to charge for individual songs, which I am guessing means they are going to be around 2.99 a song in most cases. Of course the audiophile won't blink at this cost as vinyl is already set the bar for this price point but taking out the cost of manufacturing vinyl it seems win win for the music companies to be able to charge this for digital copies which take out the bulk of the production cost.

Of course this means there is a little more value added to the artist editions if you are getting 2 albums included and potentially adding $50 worth of content thrown in. I am just curious to see for myself how much better this player is really going to sound. Hopefully it is worth the steeper price tags that are going to really make the player shine.
    Raleigh, NC 8-18-92
    Missoula, MT 9-30-12, EV Dallas, TX 11-15-12, EV San Antonio 11-16-12
    London, ONT 7-16-13 - Wrigley Field 7-19-13
    Charlotte 10-30-13, Dallas 11-15-13, OKC 11-16-13, Seattle 12-6-13
    Tulsa 10-8-14, Lincoln 10-9-14, St. Paul 10-19-14, Milwaukee 10-20-14
    NYC 9-26-15
    Ft Lauderdale 4-8-16, Miami 4-9-16, Tampa 4-11-16, Jacksonville 4-13-16, Pemberton 7-17-16,Wrigley 8-20-16 and 8-22-16
    Seattle 8-8-18; 8-10-18, Missoula 8-13-18
    Earthlings 2022:  Seattle 2-21-222 and 2-22-22, Los Angeles 2-25-22
    EV Coeur d’Alene 7-28-23, St Paul 8-31-23 and 9-2-23, Ft Worth 9-13-23 and 9-15-23, EV Seattle 10-23-23 and 10-24-23

• Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533

MedozK said:

october22 said:

That would be my response as well.
    True, but that's still a symptom of my overall point.
  • Options
    I have been ripping my vinyl at 24bit/192khz. I hope my ears can tell the difference (using the $400 Pono) between a vinyl to mp3 rip, a vinyl to 44.1khz rip and a vinyl to 192khz rip. Is ripping the vinyl at 24/192 the same quality as buying a song from the Pono store?
    I'm getting ready to load it all on my Pono come October.

• Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951

I have been ripping my vinyl at 24bit/192khz. I hope my ears can tell the difference (using the $400 Pono) between a vinyl to mp3 rip, a vinyl to 44.1khz rip and a vinyl to 192khz rip. Is ripping the vinyl at 24/192 the same quality as buying a song from the Pono store?

Sounds like a good plan. Yes, from my understanding that will be of similar quality of what the PONO store will provide. The only variable will be what the Artist provides the PONO store with as far as master files. But I think PONO will tell you what you are getting, this will be nice. Less digging around on the internet to find out which master tapes were used and so on. The revolution has begun!!!!
  • Options
    And it makes it that much better that Neil Young is at the fore front of the Revolution!
    IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!
  • Options

Sounds like a good plan. Yes, from my understanding that will be of similar quality of what the PONO store will provide. The only variable will be what the Artist provides the PONO store with as far as master files. But I think PONO will tell you what you are getting, this will be nice. Less digging around on the internet to find out which master tapes were used and so on. The revolution has begun!!!!
    AND in the SHOP here we get $9.99 off the HD FLAC shows using the free codes in "My Account". Soooo glad I haven't used them all up yet!