Options

Pearl Jam limited edition chrome Pono Player

Comments

• Options
    Kev - Coat and KeysKev - Coat and Keys Earth Posts: 357
    I got in quite early on this - being down in Australia paid off time wise when this kick started.
    Am I fooling myself into thinking it might be cool to get number 28 - I think I should be around that number - as that is the one they have used on all the mock up photos?
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,664
    4 day's to go! :)
  • Options
    JedJed New York City Posts: 1,164
    I scored a pearl jam earlier today! Keep hope alive
  • Options
    Disco PortlandDisco Portland Posts: 1,036
    A Pearl Jam/Neil Young one would have been pretty cool. Bet they could have sold another 500 of those too.
    1996: Seattle, WA.
    1997: Oakland, CA - (Rolling Stones)
    1998: Portland, OR. & Seattle, WA.
    2009: Portland, OR.
    2011: East Troy, WI. 1 & 2 - PJ20 & Portland, OR. - Ed Solo
    2012: Dallas, TX. - Ed Solo
    2013: Dallas, TX. Oklahoma City, OK. & Portland, OR.
    2014: Tulsa, OK
    2015: Seattle WA. - Mad Season
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Miami, FL. & Chicago, IL - Wrigley 1
    2017: Dana Point - Ohana Fest - Ed Solo
    2018: Seattle WA. 1 & 2 - Safeco
    2021: Dana Point - Ohana Fest & Night 1 & 2 - Ed Solo,
    2022: Louisville, St Louis
    2024: Portland, OR
  • Options
    Fuck yea! The "Mirrorball" edition, with a mirrorball engraved with signatures surrounding it! Plus Jack Irons on it instead of Matt! Epic!

A Pearl Jam/Neil Young one would have been pretty cool. Bet they could have sold another 500 of those too.

IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    Haha, are you guys posting on kickstarter? This conversation seems very familiar...:)
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    If Pono is successful, they will be bought by Apple or Google, or those companies will build a superior version.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

If Pono is successful, they will be bought by Apple or Google, or those companies will build a superior version.

Apple? Oh god I hope not! But wait a minute. If Apple, Google or let's go nuts & say Facebook did buy Pono, that would mean the value of these signed Pearl Jam Pono Player would be very VERY high. hmm ... :bz
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    demetrios said:

Jason P said:

Apple? Oh god I hope not! But wait a minute. If Apple, Google or let's go nuts & say Facebook did buy Pono, that would mean the value of these signed Pearl Jam Pono Player would be very VERY high. hmm ... :bz
    If you are looking for rarity and value, why not join the PTM vs. Kenny Rogers epic bout? Things are knotted up 4 - 4.
  • Options
    Those arent rare at all. Anyone that wants one can have one. Go get it. Rare is when the market out weighs the supply. Hence the sold out ponos of 500. Thats just such a pointless thing to say in my opinion.
    Jason P said:

demetrios said:

Jason P said:

If you are looking for rarity and value, why not join the PTM vs. Kenny Rogers epic bout? Things are knotted up 4 - 4.
    IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!
  • Options
    With the decline of digital sales, I really wonder how pono could survive with such a niche market
  • Options
    It makes digital worth it. You get all the conveniences of digital and quality studio sound better than vinyl. If thats a niche, I'm in!
    IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!
  • Options
    Dont have a $300 needle? Your records scratched? Dont worry. Just invest in Pono!!! And if your lucky the beautiful Pearl Jam LE edition!
    IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,892

Those arent rare at all. Anyone that wants one can have one. Go get it. Rare is when the market out weighs the supply. Hence the sold out ponos of 500. Thats just such a pointless thing to say in my opinion.

The will be rare when the kickstarter ends there are only 4 in the world and someone's says 4/4. They are only going to produce and number as many as they sell.

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,382

With the decline of digital sales, I really wonder how pono could survive with such a niche market

I'm guessing that they're looking to turn a profit on the hardware. What it comes down to is most people use Smartphones to listen to music. Smartphones have a wide variety of things they need to be able to do. In order to keep costs down certain parts aren't the best part they can be. IE the DAC (digital to analog convertor) is middle of the road on most phones.

There's already a Niche market for high end music players. Cowon is a company amongst several that make them. You don't need HD Flac to benefit from a higher quality music player.

People seem to think the PONO would only benefit those wanting to use HD Flac files. I'm willing to bet that a standard CD quality flac would sound a great deal better on a PONO than a smartphone. That's why I still use a separate music player. My 4 year old Cowon S9 still plays music much better than modern smartphones. I don't need to buy digital music, I make FLAC rips of my cd's.
  • Options
    Zod said:

I'm guessing that they're looking to turn a profit on the hardware. What it comes down to is most people use Smartphones to listen to music. Smartphones have a wide variety of things they need to be able to do. In order to keep costs down certain parts aren't the best part they can be. IE the DAC (digital to analog convertor) is middle of the road on most phones.

There's already a Niche market for high end music players. Cowon is a company amongst several that make them. You don't need HD Flac to benefit from a higher quality music player.

People seem to think the PONO would only benefit those wanting to use HD Flac files. I'm willing to bet that a standard CD quality flac would sound a great deal better on a PONO than a smartphone. That's why I still use a separate music player. My 4 year old Cowon S9 still plays music much better than modern smartphones. I don't need to buy digital music, I make FLAC rips of my cd's.
    Zod,

Can you please tell me the program you use to make FLAC rips from your CDs?

I too have a massive collection of CDs and need to begin the process of building my FLAC library.

Thanks.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited April 2014

Dont have a $300 needle? Your records scratched? Dont worry. Just invest in Pono!!! And if your lucky the beautiful Pearl Jam LE edition!

Vinyl vs. Digital

No question for me...my money will go into vinyl. How much will the HD-Flacs you buy go for on eBay? I want to buy stuff that will appreciate in value.

Pono will make their money through the hardware. Digital is still Digital.

No Packaging
    No Liner Notes
    No Artwork
    No Physical Attachment
    Nothing to Look At or Touch

Vinyl will always win when it comes to these things. Just my opinion. I listen to digital in the car and on the go...so I really dont care about having great sound quality...i won't have time to really study every nuance that the Pono provides, because If I do I may run over someone.

And like I have said before..I will eventually check this technology out, but I will do so much cheaper down the line if its still around. Applelossless is fine for me at the moment.

But for those of you buying as a collectors item or to trade/sell later for profit..cool and enjoy.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    Not if only 4 people want them.

The will be rare when the kickstarter ends there are only 4 in the world and someone's says 4/4. They are only going to produce and number as many as they sell.

IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,741
    edited April 2014
    MedozK said:

Vinyl vs. Digital

No question for me...my money will go into vinyl. How much will the HD-Flacs you buy go for on eBay? I want to buy stuff that will appreciate in value.

No Packaging
    No Liner Notes
    No Artwork
    No Physical Attachment

Vinyl will always win when it comes to these things. Just my opinion. I listen to digital in the car and on the go...so I really dont care about having great sound quality...i won't have time to really study every nuance that the Pono provides, because If I do I may run over someone.

And like I have said before..I will eventually check this technology out, but I will do so much cheaper down the line if its still around. Applelossless is fine for me at the moment.

But for those of you buying as a collectors item or to trade/sell later for profit..cool and enjoy.
    I feel exactly the same way.... right now the main attraction for me is, embarrassingly, the Pearl Jam signatures on the device. Recognizing this shameful fact is what ultimately stopped me F5ing for one. image
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    We get it. You like to be able to flip. I'm speaking as a fan of the music since day one. "When country wasn't cool"

MedozK said:

Vinyl vs. Digital

No Packaging
    No Liner Notes
    No Artwork
    No Physical Attachment

IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2014

We get it. You like to be able to flip. I'm speaking as a fan of the music since day one. "When country wasn't cool"

MedozK said:

Vinyl vs. Digital

No Packaging
    No Liner Notes
    No Artwork
    No Physical Attachment

Im sure you have never flipped a poster for profit....but I digress

=)) ME FLIP!!! =)) as I can tell you don't know me very well.

I do almost nothing but buy...my bank account can be a testament to that, lol

My collection will also stand against most, but again. I want value in what I buy...that's all I am saying. With music I like the physical media....its very hard for me to pay for a digital version...just don't see the need. I do make digital versions for on the go, but again great sound doesn't matter to me there.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,741

MedozK said:

Vinyl vs. Digital

No Packaging
    No Liner Notes
    No Artwork
    No Physical Attachment

I didn't get that AT ALL from what MedozK said. I completely agreed with him, and I'm as far from a flipper as a person can get probably.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

MedozK said:

Vinyl vs. Digital

No Packaging
    No Liner Notes
    No Artwork
    No Physical Attachment

I didn't get that AT ALL from what MedozK said. I completely agreed with him, and I'm as far from a flipper as a person can get probably.
    lol...Yea, Some people just don't like you or call you names when you aren't into the same stuff....no worries :)>-
  • Options
    Project Update #23: More about the PonoPlayer Design
    Posted by the PonoMusic Team Black heart (cards) Like

Many of the more technically inclined have asked for more details about what is so special about the Pono Player design. Charlie Hansen, founder of Ayre Acoustics, and one of the major contributors to the technical audio circuit design of the PonoPlayer that will ship in October, provided the information in this memo to share with you.

But first, let’s be clear that we have no publishable measured “specifications” for the PonoPlayer as of our Kickstarter campaign. While we have a basic design that is a working prototype, and it sounds great today, we have been evolving the design of the Player throughout the last year, and will continue to make changes through the next month or so, as we approach our handoff to manufacturing for October shipments.

When we have stabilized the design of the Player and built a sufficient number of test units, we will being to measure the audio specifications of the Player, and will have those “specs” available at shipment.

One of the primary reasons we chose a crowdfunding platform was to raise the necessary funds to completely finish the design of the PonoPlayer. So, obviously, we can publish “specs” on an unfinished product. We belive our backers understand this idea. So, now, on to the design of the Player.

For the best audio experience, we begin by getting the highest resolution audio recording available from the labels. Our goal is to deliver to the consumer the file that is the closest possible representation of what the artist heard in the studio when the album was being made.

Our singular aim during the development of the Ponoplayer was to build a device with one purpose: the playback of music at the highest possible level of performance given the boundaries of the design. This design called for a small, portable structure capable of storing high-resolution digital files and converting them to analog music, thereby providing a more-than-fulfilling experience for the listener. This product wouldn’t function as a phone, WiFi router, Bluetooth transceiver, portable gaming platform or GPS widget. Any additional features would only detract from the resolution of music in its fullest dimension, and thus, the enjoyment we know possible when music is reproduced with this level of fidelity.

The music is downloaded and stored in a format called FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec), a widely accepted, robust, industry standard. It allows for the compression and subsequent storage of large audio files without the loss of critical data. All information stored on the original file can be retrieved with zero loss once the FLAC algorithm decompresses the file. This provides the best of both worlds: compact storage and high potential fidelity. Founded by Charles (Charlie) Hansen (chief engineer and product designer), Ayre has been designing and building high-performance, award-winning home audio electronics for more than 20 years. With their feet firmly planted in both the digital and analog domains, we felt they were the perfect choice for a partner that could design an audio circuit capable of championing the difficult and delicate challenges of high-resolution audio playback.

Everything Ayre has ever made has had fully balanced, all-discrete, zero-feedback analog circuitry. Even Ayre’s digital products employ custom digital filters. The reasoning behind the use and implementation of every one of these technologies is to fortify the presence of the signal and defeat noise in the path of that same signal. Without this, the rendering of high-resolution music would be a futile task, as the listener wouldn’t be able to hear the actual benefits of high-resolution audio.

In the Pono Player, Ayre began their work by designing the circuitry after the main processor retrieves the audio data from the memory and presents it in "3-wire" form - audio data, bit clock, and word clock. They chose the just-released version of ESS's top-of-the-line ES9018. It has two channels, comes in a very small package (5 mm square), and is extremely customizable, able to tackle the rigors of sensitive, low-level signal path design.

The filter generally favored by Ayre is a minimum-phase digital filter (to eliminate pre-ringing), with a "slow" roll-off, to minimize the overall amount of ringing (ringing can be thought of as an oscillation in the digital signal, causing all sorts of errors if misconstrued as actual signal to be converted to analog, which is engineer-speak for music). For the Pono Player’s D/A (digital-to-analog) converter Charlie went a step further and used a moving average filter for both the double and quad sampling rates because it has no pre-ringing, no post-ringing, no overshoot, and no undershoot (these create inaccuracies in the rendering of digital signal and sacrifice fidelity). In other words, it has none of the digital artifacts (digital artifacts also add to distortion and occlude signal) at all.

The DAC chip’s output comes in the form of current, so Ayre designed a proprietary, fully discrete, fully- balanced, zero-feedback current-to-voltage stage. This then goes to a fully discrete, zero-feedback buffer stage to drive both the headphone output and the line stage output. The output impedance is roughly 5 ohms, allowing the Pono Player to drive any headphone on the market with minimal frequency response errors.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,382
    edited April 2014

Zod,

I too have a massive collection of CDs and need to begin the process of building my FLAC library.

Thanks.

I use a program called EAC (Exact Audio Copy). I set it up using the same settings that What.CD recommends :)

• Options
    Zod said:

Zod,

Thanks.

I use a program called EAC (Exact Audio Copy). I set it up using the same settings that What.CD recommends :)

I will investigate.

Thanks!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    whoyouare72whoyouare72 Chicago IL Posts: 2,093
    Wait, why would you want to make a FLAC from a cd? am I missing something here? Isnt the point of Pono to use a high-quality audio source to make the FLAC from, in order to get the best sound when you'll be playing the FLAC on your pono? otherwise you could just rip your CD into WAV files and use an iPod, right? I have been making FLACs from my vinyl using my USB turntable and ripping them at 24 / 192 (they come out about 40 to 60 megabytes per song).

I am hoping we can start trading FLAC vinyl rips off rare albums. I know there are a lot of FLACs from vinyl rips I'd like to get for the pono.
  • Options
    From pono email:
    For the best audio experience, we begin by getting the highest resolution audio recording available from the labels. Our goal is to deliver to the consumer the file that is the closest possible representation of what the artist heard in the studio when the album was being made.

• Options
    so if you don't want to buy a FLAC for $15 to $25 dollars you'll have to buy a good USB turntable with a nice cartridge and stylus to rip the vinyl into a high quality FLAC.
  • Options

so if you don't want to buy a FLAC for $15 to $25 dollars you'll have to buy a good USB turntable with a nice cartridge and stylus to rip the vinyl into a high quality FLAC.

:-?