Options

Pearl Jam limited edition chrome Pono Player

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,753

october22 said:

Can't wait till October :)

Same here. I also don't know how anyone can find that ugly. If you've got problems with the shape because it's not gonna fit in your lululemons you're not exactly the target demo of this product anyway.
    It reminds me of the Sabre Pyramid... we all know how that went over...

Must admit the signatures look pretty cool.
    Lol. I thought of the Sabre Pyramid too! image
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,868
    very happy to be on the list for one of these whether it catches on or not.

I don't play mini basketball either, but I have a set of that on my desktop with PJ on LOL.

the Zippos have never seen fuel......

I also don't play guitar with the picks I have either, this is to me exactly what those things are - purely collectibles.
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    I don't care if Pono music fails in the same way I never cared if iTunes failed. I'm buying this for the hardware, not to become a shareholder in the company.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    october22 said:

I don't care if Pono music fails in the same way I never cared if iTunes failed. I'm buying this for the hardware, not to become a shareholder in the company.

Doesn't matter if it ultimately fails or not. FLAC files will still exist for the long haul either way, so the Pono will never become useless to those who already own one. It's not like Beta at all. Beta machine required Beta tapes, so they became useless once the tapes weren't made anymore. That will not be the case with FLAC files.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

october22 said:

Doesn't matter if it ultimately fails or not. FLAC files will still exist for the long haul either way, so the Pono will never become useless to those who already own one. It's not like Beta at all. Beta machine required Beta tapes, so they became useless once the tapes weren't made anymore. That will not be the case with FLAC files.
    Once again...behold the logical thinking of PJ_Soul. Please visit NYC sometime so I can watch you be right about everything in person :)
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I have spent more $ in one hour during a bad weekend in Vegas that it cost for a PONO player.
  • Options

I have spent more $ in one hour during a bad weekend in Vegas that it cost for a PONO player.

IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!
  • Options

Where was this concert where Eddie fell in your gif?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209

Not me. I guess I would rather put $400 towards rare vinyl....but thats just me. I'm sure many will love the pono.
  • Options
    MedozK said:

Not me. I guess I would rather put $400 towards rare vinyl....but thats just me. I'm sure many will love the pono.
    Yeah, that's where I'm at too. Vinyl has higher priority as far as spending goes.... but if I had more money, I would have bought both. :)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

october22 said:

Not entirely true. If the interface between the player and your computer is not updated and maintained you'd have no way of getting the information to your pono. Try loading up web-pages and interfacing with your iPod on IE2. But, again - I don't think folks that bought this failed. They clearly succeeded - they got a very collectible item regardless of its intended utility.

As for the fail/succeed - nobody thinks you're becoming a shareholder. You already gave them money for a piece of metal with an electronic board inside and not a piece of paper. They don't want you as a shareholder either. They found a way to take your money without giving up any of the company. But, you do care if it fails if you intend on using it as a listening device b/c if you can't load anything onto it in 5 years it becomes a piece of metal with an outdated electronic board inside.

And failure would actually be a good outcome, as there's a possibility someone could continue to update the transfer software. The reality is if this takes off, your initial Pono will become obsolete quicker b/c later generations of the technology would make maintenance of base software not only unwieldy but undesirable. And that is a definite outcome of all this.

So, I hope you all bought this for the collectability and not utilization. Because the money you spent for their progress will make the "gift" obsolete.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    SmitreSmitre Posts: 68
    All the best to those putting their LE Pono on display or in storage with their other collectables. Mine is going into use on day one. This is the solution I was looking for a few years ago when I replaced the audio in my car. Almost all of my music listening happens there. I have a large library of flac's that go almost unused and a wall of cd's waiting for an excuse to be ripped to flac. The guys at car stereo stores looked at me strange that anyone would be looking for a unit that could play more than an mp3.

The price was easily justifiable with the money I have saved over the years never buying an ipod, iphone, or mp3. I would have gotten one of the cheaper models anyway, so the extra $100 was easily worth it for the leather carrying case, two preloaded albums and the bonus PJ vibe. Would some of the collectors around here flip out over how much I actually use my backpack, gym bag, or wear my Pearl Jam socks?

www.givelife.org [Red Cross Blood Donation]
    1-800-GiveLife 1-800-448-3543
  • Options
    edited March 2014

PJ_Soul said:

october22 said:

Not entirely true. If the interface between the player and your computer is not updated and maintained you'd have no way of getting the information to your pono. Try loading up web-pages and interfacing with your iPod on IE2. But, again - I don't think folks that bought this failed. They clearly succeeded - they got a very collectible item regardless of its intended utility.

I don't think this will have any negative impact at all. Not at this point in the game. There will always be a way to do it available online (and anyone still using IE deserves not to be able to do anything :D ).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,827
    Smitre said:

Would some of the collectors around here flip out over how much I actually use my backpack, gym bag, or wear my Pearl Jam socks?

YES!!! Especially the PJ socks!!

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Eh, whatever......I'm not here to pick fights.
    Post edited by october22 on
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,992
    demetrios said:

Smitre said:

Would some of the collectors around here flip out over how much I actually use my backpack, gym bag, or wear my Pearl Jam socks?

YES!!! Especially the PJ socks!!

lol
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,481
    PJ_Soul said:

DavidD said:

mwplum said:

Stoked I got one now….but where's BOOM?, c'mon! Boooooooooom

WE NEED MORE BOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!
    Boom is not a member of the band.
    He's not????? So who's that tall Harry guy on stage playing keys at every show???
    I know he doesn't play on every song but he did write at least one song with Ed, right?.
  • Options
    october22 said:

PJ_Soul said:

MedozK said:

Yeah, that's where I'm at too. Vinyl has higher priority as far as spending goes.... but if I had more money, I would have bought both. :)

PJ_Soul said:

october22 said:

As for the fail/succeed - nobody thinks you're becoming a shareholder. You already gave them money for a piece of metal with an electronic board inside and not a piece of paper. They don't want you as a shareholder either. They found a way to take your money without giving up any of the company. But, you do care if it fails if you intend on using it as a listening device b/c if you can't load anything onto it in 5 years it becomes a piece of metal with an outdated electronic board inside.

And failure would actually be a good outcome, as there's a possibility someone could continue to update the transfer software. The reality is if this takes off, your initial Pono will become obsolete quicker b/c later generations of the technology would make maintenance of base software not only unwieldy but undesirable. And that is a definite outcome of all this.

So, I hope you all bought this for the collectability and not utilization. Because the money you spent for their progress will make the "gift" obsolete.
    Wow. Ok, Edson, you and your crystal ball are awesome. I am a fool and will one day realize how right you've always been. I will be sure to keep my "gift" sealed in its box as that is clearly the most appropriate use for it. Thank you.

Anyone but me find some people's negativity towards this thing strange?
    I do.
    There will not be issues with uploading data on this thing in 5 years, that's crazy talk. Hell, I have a cheap-ass Sony mp3 player from 2004 and it is STILL compatible with the newest version of windows media player, and that thing was made back when compatibility still wasn't a real consideration as technology advances (now it is). I also find it weird that people think this item is expensive for what it is. For that amount of memory, plus for a special collectors edition, it seems like a good deal to me. I think those being really negative about the PONO maybe don't have that much exposure to the new electronics market?? Don't understand it well?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    DavidD said:

PJ_Soul said:

DavidD said:

mwplum said:

Stoked I got one now….but where's BOOM?, c'mon! Boooooooooom

WE NEED MORE BOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!
    Boom is not a member of the band.
    He's not????? So who's that tall Harry guy on stage playing keys at every show???
    I know he doesn't play on every song but he did write at least one song with Ed, right?.
    No, he's not. So what if he wrote one song with Ed? (which song btw?). He's a back up musician. Band members actually participate in making decisions with the band, deciding on tour dates and schedules, make artistic decisions, and, you know, generally have a say in what happens and make a real contribution with their own sound, write songs, etc. Boom does absolutely none of these things with Pearl Jam. He is a paid keyboardist who shows up when he's told to show up, and works with the band to work out keyboards when asked to, and as far as I can tell he is absolutely content in that role. You can't be a member of a band without contributing all of those things I mentioned, especially not Pearl Jam. If only it were that easy!!
    Also, Boom isn't listed as a member of the band ever. He is not considered a member by the band itself (and again, I think it's clear that Boom is very happy with his arrangement). So you think he's a member of the band, but neither he nor the band does??
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    tribejammer05tribejammer05 W'Ville, OH Posts: 696
    Mine is going to get a lot of use. Just like my Benaroya vinyl that's unsealed and with tears on the box :-O
    "There's a $10,000 bill in it for you."
    "Oh yeah? Which president's on it?"
    "Uh, all of them. They're having a party. Jimmy Carter's passed out on the couch."

Columbus 2000
    Columbus 2003
    Hershey 2003
    Toledo 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Chicago/Lollapalooza 2007
    Columbus 2010
    Chicago/Wrigley 2013
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Portland 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
  • Options
    Pledge $300 or more: Yellow Ponoplayer. First Edition. Savings of $99 off $399 retail value. Plus: Website Thanks.

What am I not getting about this? You pledge $300 to save $99 off the $399 cost?

Why not kick it up a couple of notches and pledge $400... then get a limited edition artist engraved signature snazzy unit?

I have to be missing something here?
  • Options

Pledge $300 or more: Yellow Ponoplayer. First Edition. Savings of $99 off $399 retail value. Plus: Website Thanks.

What am I not getting about this? You pledge $300 to save $99 off the $399 cost?

Why not kick it up a couple of notches and pledge $400... then get a limited edition artist engraved signature snazzy unit?

Some people like yellow electronics. Reminds them of their Sports Walkman. :P
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I wore out many a sportswalkman I'll have you know.

It's the Math I'm struggling with. Pay $300 to save $99? Oh yeah... and get a website thanks.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

I wore out many a sportswalkman I'll have you know.

It's the Math I'm struggling with. Pay $300 to save $99? Oh yeah... and get a website thanks.
    I dunno... Since the PJ ones are all gone and I have no interest in any of the other band editions, I'd like to spend $100 less than the retail price if I were going for these things.
  • Options
    SmitreSmitre Posts: 68

After launch their business plan is for the base model to be priced at $399.... you save $99 by pledging during the kickstarter campaign.
    www.givelife.org [Red Cross Blood Donation]
    1-800-GiveLife 1-800-448-3543
  • Options
    TheseGoToElevenTheseGoToEleven Charlotte, NC Posts: 106
    Agreed, I'm sure many like the idea of a Pono $99 cheaper than retail and care little about artist-engraved signatures. I'd also like to mention that $99 is a lot of money, in case some forgot (and by the looks of the Lost Dogs threads, some have). :)
    [i]Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?[/i]
  • Options
    tribejammer05tribejammer05 W'Ville, OH Posts: 696
    Plus you'll get a leather case and two albums.
    "There's a $10,000 bill in it for you."
    "Oh yeah? Which president's on it?"
    "Uh, all of them. They're having a party. Jimmy Carter's passed out on the couch."

Columbus 2000
    Columbus 2003
    Hershey 2003
    Toledo 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Chicago/Lollapalooza 2007
    Columbus 2010
    Chicago/Wrigley 2013
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Portland 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

october22 said:

Wow. Ok, Edson, you and your crystal ball are awesome. I am a fool and will one day realize how right you've always been. I will be sure to keep my "gift" sealed in its box as that is clearly the most appropriate use for it. Thank you.

I do.
    There will not be issues with uploading data on this thing in 5 years, that's crazy talk. Hell, I have a cheap-ass Sony mp3 player from 2004 and it is STILL compatible with the newest version of windows media player, and that thing was made back when compatibility still wasn't a real consideration as technology advances (now it is). I also find it weird that people think this item is expensive for what it is. For that amount of memory, plus for a special collectors edition, it seems like a good deal to me. I think those being really negative about the PONO maybe don't have that much exposure to the new electronics market?? Don't understand it well?
    Funny thing is I don't think the price was too expensive. How many etched verifiable signatures are there of these guys out there? 400 now? That's probably worth more than the $400 itself.

As a portable player, I find it useless. As some have mentioned, hooking it to a home system (which I sort of mentioned with the what might be a good business model - teaming up with a quality audio company and selling the technology) or a permanent fixture in your car (assuming you have the proper speakers to take advantage of it) makes a lot of sense. But, that's not what it's advertised as. Which is also fine.

I'm still willing to bet 90% of folks that bought it bought it purely as a collectible. And, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Don't confuse my opinion that this technology is going nowhere commercially with me thinking anyone who bought this is foolish. To each their own. I don't care.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951

Where was this concert where Eddie fell in your gif?
    Philly 2013
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

october22 said:

I do.
    Funny thing is I don't think the price was too expensive. How many etched verifiable signatures are there of these guys out there? 400 now? That's probably worth more than the $400 itself.

As a portable player, I find it useless. As some have mentioned, hooking it to a home system (which I sort of mentioned with the what might be a good business model - teaming up with a quality audio company and selling the technology) or a permanent fixture in your car (assuming you have the proper speakers to take advantage of it) makes a lot of sense. But, that's not what it's advertised as. Which is also fine.

I'm still willing to bet 90% of folks that bought it bought it purely as a collectible. And, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Don't confuse my opinion that this technology is going nowhere commercially with me thinking anyone who bought this is foolish. To each their own. I don't care.
    Doesn't matter to me how people use it, but I'm just saying that thinking that uploading files will become difficult in the foreseeable future is probably mistake, and I don't think that particular point should impact people's decision to buy it or not.

If I had $300 or $400 to spare right now I would buy it for home use only, hooked up to my stereo, and that would be cool. Someone definitely has to be dedicated to portable music to buy this for that reason. You'd need huge honkin' pricey headphones for this thing to do you any good as a portable device.... I know some people do wear super expensive headphones when they're out and about, but not many, because they're hard to lug around all day, and are a theft risk.