Options

Pearl Jam limited edition chrome Pono Player

Comments

• Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold ' em, Know when to walk away, know when to run. :))
  • Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,541
    You know, I've got to admit I used to like Kenny Rogers & the First Edition's version of 'Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town' when I was a kid. It's a very sad song about a paralyzed Viet Nam vet who's wife who get's all prettied up at night and goes in to town alone...
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I had a friend who had a cassette tape full of "The Gambler" on both sides. He said, "it was so I don't have to take the tape out." Who does that?
  • Options
    Porch DwellerPorch Dweller Posts: 101
    edited March 2014
    pono posted photo of pearl jam series on twitter but I don't know how to post it
    Post edited by Porch Dweller on
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,827

pono posted photo of pearl jam series on twitter but I don't know how to post it

PonoMusic ‏@pono

Limited Edition #PearlJam Signature Series are all gone: http://kck.st/1lSZBfj @PearlJam #kickstarter #PonoMusic pic.twitter.com/TwvcnMKcOg

• Options
    :D That's a beauty Clark!
    IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,375
    That's a sweet looking Pono...
  • Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,541

I had a friend who had a cassette tape full of "The Gambler" on both sides. He said, "it was so I don't have to take the tape out." Who does that?

I guess now he needs a Kenny PONO full of 'The Gambler'!

• Options
    thanks for posting it Demetrios!
  • Options
    That thing is ugly. How do you carry it around? Take it to the gym,etc? To me it would seem like you would need to still use an iPhone, iPod or other media device for portable use
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,375

That thing is ugly. How do you carry it around? Take it to the gym,etc? To me it would seem like you would need to still use an iPhone, iPod or other media device for portable use

The gym isn't really the type of activity where you would care about the quality of music... This is something you want to have nice speakers/headphones for. For the gym, your iPod is the device to have, for other situations, this is.

• Options
    GivenToLukinKPGivenToLukinKP Chicago Posts: 3,076
    Can't wait till October :)
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533

Same here. I also don't know how anyone can find that ugly. If you've got problems with the shape because it's not gonna fit in your lululemons you're not exactly the target demo of this product anyway.
  • Options
    october22 said:

Same here. I also don't know how anyone can find that ugly. If you've got problems with the shape because it's not gonna fit in your lululemons you're not exactly the target demo of this product anyway.

:))
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Greatplainsman...Greatplainsman... Posts: 840
    edited March 2014
    I got a feeling someone has 5 new emails with Pearl Jam Pono's reserved for each. Smart move. These things are gonna be gold when Pono becomes the staple for digital audiophile players. Neil is guaranteeing. I believe him. No reason not to. Pearl Jam fans cant lose on this. I believe all the haters are just folks that missed the drop. These will be rare folks. People wont be flipping these like Benny. These have real, everyday functionality. Imho. And when a person spends that kind of time with something, the sentimental attachment makes it harder to let go.
    Post edited by Greatplainsman... on
    IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,528
    Stoked I got one now….but where's BOOM?, c'mon! Boooooooooom
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,567
    I'd like to see who's the first one to frame one of these bad boys with the receipt and a nice pair of head phones!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    That is gorgeous! Thanks for posting, Demetrios and Porch Dweller! October can't get here soon enough!
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,212
    Wow. Now seeing a pic of how the sigs are going to be that is HOTTTTT!!!
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,868
    looks tremendous, October cant come quickly enough
  • Options
    DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,481
    mwplum said:

WE NEED MORE BOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    okblueduckokblueduck Posts: 427
    edited March 2014
    "I'd like to see who's the first one to frame one of these bad boys with the receipt and a nice pair of head phones! "

HAHAHAHAHA!!

Post edited by okblueduck on
    Fenway 1 & 2 2016
    MSG 1 & 2 2016
    Central Park 2015
    Barclays 2, Seattle 2013
    MSG 1 & 2 2010
    Boston 1 & 2 2006
    Boston 1 2004
    Augusta 1996
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,287
    Do people plan on using these as a portable music player? To me, this would look better as a simple shelf stereo. I assume there is a USB port on the opposite side. Two jacks on top, one for headphones, one for speaker output.....correct?
  • Options

I got a feeling someone has 5 new emails with Pearl Jam Pono's reserved for each. Smart move. These things are gonna be gold when Pono becomes the staple for digital audiophile players. Neil is guaranteeing. I believe him. No reason not to. Pearl Jam fans cant lose on this. I believe all the haters are just folks that missed the drop. These will be rare folks. People wont be flipping these like Benny. These have real, everyday functionality. Imho. And when a person spends that kind of time with something, the sentimental attachment makes it harder to let go.

Like Bitcoins.

I also don't see anyone who bought this version actually intending to use it. It even came with a display case. So, even they knew. It's a collector's display item pure and simple. It actually will be more valuable when Pono doesn't come to fruition.

I will state now - Pono will never catch on. It is the Betamax and 3D TV of the Audio field. The cost/benefit ratio just doesn't make sense for the ordinary consumer. So, could there be a niche market? Sure. But, as a common use item - I just don't see it.

Their best bet is selling the technology to a Bose who will then build a home system that utilizes this by up-converting existing music collections as Blu-Ray does for DVD's. That way it can build new consumers as it has a utilization for folks with existing large collections.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,528
    Completely disagree. I'm using it the day it gets to my door. Even went out and bought new $400 headphones in anticipation. EvIt will play all your existing music, so even if you think their sales aspect will fail, it's not like this thing becomes extinct
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    Neil doesn't need the money is another thing this has going for it and you're right, this isn't for steers. You make a good point about the display aspect. But being preloaded, I'll have to plug it in.

Like Bitcoins.

I also don't see anyone who bought this version actually intending to use it. It even came with a display case. So, even they knew. It's a collector's display item pure and simple. It actually will be more valuable when Pono doesn't come to fruition.

I will state now - Pono will never catch on. It is the Betamax and 3D TV of the Audio field. The cost/benefit ratio just doesn't make sense for the ordinary consumer. So, could there be a niche market? Sure. But, as a common use item - I just don't see it.

Their best bet is selling the technology to a Bose who will then build a home system that utilizes this by up-converting existing music collections as Blu-Ray does for DVD's. That way it can build new consumers as it has a utilization for folks with existing large collections.
    IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Its for a very small niche market. I'm sure a lot will use them, but most will be collectors items.
  • Options

holy shit =))
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,753
    DavidD said:

mwplum said:

WE NEED MORE BOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!
    Boom is not a member of the band.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    october22 said:

It reminds me of the Sabre Pyramid... we all know how that went over...

Must admit the signatures look pretty cool.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!