Options

Pearl Jam limited edition chrome Pono Player

Comments

• Options
    Got it.

Seems like the shittiest deal on the site is all.

Other than Kenny Rogers that is.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,629
    Im kind of surprised the DMB one hasnt sold
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

I am too.

I'm deliberating, but just not sure.

I hate my iPod with a passion for too many reasons to list and have been in the market for something different to play my music from. I'm just not sure if this is the move I need to make.
  • Options
    TheseGoToElevenTheseGoToEleven Charlotte, NC Posts: 106
    Re-reading my posts in this thread makes it seem like I'm a total curmudgeon about this. Gah! I actually want this thing to succeed and change music forever, I hope everyone believes me. :)

I think the good thing we've got going for us is that - even if Pono itself does not end up being a revolution in and of itself - with the millions raised, it's hopefully caught the eye of entrepreneurial folks in the industry who *DO* have the power help deliver a revolution and help end the loudness war. Hard to argue with $5mm.
    [i]Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?[/i]
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    PJ_Soul said:

DavidD said:

PJ_Soul said:

DavidD said:

mwplum said:

Stoked I got one now….but where's BOOM?, c'mon! Boooooooooom

WE NEED MORE BOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!
    Boom is not a member of the band.
    He's not????? So who's that tall Harry guy on stage playing keys at every show???
    I know he doesn't play on every song but he did write at least one song with Ed, right?.
    No, he's not. So what if he wrote one song with Ed? (which song btw?).
    LBC
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,418
    lol...
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,760
    edited March 2014

PJ_Soul said:

DavidD said:

PJ_Soul said:

DavidD said:

mwplum said:

Stoked I got one now….but where's BOOM?, c'mon! Boooooooooom

WE NEED MORE BOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!
    Boom is not a member of the band.
    He's not????? So who's that tall Harry guy on stage playing keys at every show???
    I know he doesn't play on every song but he did write at least one song with Ed, right?.
    No, he's not. So what if he wrote one song with Ed? (which song btw?).
    LBC

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    Do we know anything about this player other than it's triangular shaped? Like is there a display screen, a touch screen, a click wheel, etc? Seems like it would be kinda weird to scroll through everything on what is essentially a peg.
    It's really not that insane price wise. I am surprised they don't have bigger capacities considering the file sizes are going to be huger than MP3 quality files... but old ipods used to cost $300 for 20GB didn't they? So $400 for a limited edition object and top of the line sound quality (so claimed) seems like a reasonable, affordable price to me.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    Its a touch screen
    IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,894
    edited April 2014

Post edited by given2fly23 on
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533

MayDay10 said:

I hate my iPod with a passion for too many reasons to list and have been in the market for something different to play my music from. I'm just not sure if this is the move I need to make.
    Exactly. I've never invested in great headphones because I appreciate the difference between cd and mp3 and you can't polish a turd (actually, you can. They did it on Mythbusters, but whatever). Anyway, this solves that problem. Vinyl quality sound on the go. The right product at the right time for me. I have no idea whether it will fail or succeed as a business (I'm inclined to think they're fighting the good yet probably impossible fight (especially with their download prices)) but it doesn't really matter to me so long as the player sounds as good as I expect it to.
  • Options
    whofeelslikeadrankwhofeelslikeadrank Posts: 2,702
    edited March 2014
    Post edited by whofeelslikeadrank on
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,481
    Not going to make this a thread about boom pj soul. But as long as he's on stage rocking out with the boys every night, ill give him my respect and say he's one of the boys. And yeah I do agree with some of the points you made, but who wouldn't want to be sitting in there tiki hut sipping a drink with a little umbrella in it waiting for eds call. That would be fucking awesome!!!!! All I was saying is we need more boom.... Just like cow bell. I don't know why, but we do
    And these apple products are killing me. Hope this Pono is all they say it cracked up to be.

"Hold me, and make it the truth,...
    That when all is lost there will be you.
    Cause to the universe I don't mean a thing
    And there's just one word that I still believe and it's
    Love.....love,love,love."
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,909
    Just added PORTUGAL THE MAN to our Artist Signature Series!
  • Options
    demetrios said:

Just added PORTUGAL THE MAN to our Artist Signature Series!

Does anyone see this as a ridiculous money grab at this point? They've raised like 5 times what they wanted and yet they're still grabbing more.

To someone's earlier point - nobody is getting stock in this via this vehicle. So, they have basically been able to raise more than their full nut just by sucking these artists' fans in. It's an interesting turn of events. I'm sure they expected that they'd need to go to some venture capital at some point (even if it's one of the "founders" companies that funded it). And, yet they've now successfully found a way to fund (more than?) the whole thing via this. Shark Tank would be proud of them.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    TheseGoToElevenTheseGoToEleven Charlotte, NC Posts: 106
    Well, to be fair that is what Kickstarter precisely is (a vehicle for the biggest money grab you can possibly get). I fully understand your sentiment, but it appears the artists' connection/collectibility is working for them, so who's to argue? The point is to raise as much as possible before your time is up and this is a way they've found to do it. Hopefully it's bringing good exposure to the artists as well as performers who value quality sound and want their names associated with it.

Now have I seen this sort of thing done better on Kickstarter before? Oh yes. With this strategy Pono continues to bring in new money which works to a certain limited degree, but if they really had their act together, they'd come up with some creative stretch goals to get the folks who have already laid the coin down to invest more and develop a stronger bond with the product/service (i.e. if we reach X amount of dollars we'll include a THIRD album for those who pre-order a Pono, or we'll promise certain features of the music service people might really be interested in seeing, or we'll throw in some quality earbuds...just brainstorming, but you get my drift).

It'd be hard for the average joe to get away with Pono's strategy, you typically see frequent updates and new additions to the campaign in order to draw in this sort of money, but it appears to be working for Neil.
    [i]Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?[/i]
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,376

Does anyone see this as a ridiculous money grab at this point?

To be fair, unless you know how kickstarter runs, this may not be a very valid point. I don't particularly know either, but once you start a kickstarter project, you probably have to provide dates (and they did provide a clear end date to the campaign). I don't think that you can just end a kickstarter project early. That said, if people want to continue funding it, why should they say no?

• Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,436
    Travelar said:

Does anyone see this as a ridiculous money grab at this point?

To be fair, unless you know how kickstarter runs, this may not be a very valid point. I don't particularly know either, but once you start a kickstarter project, you probably have to provide dates (and they did provide a clear end date to the campaign). I don't think that you can just end a kickstarter project early. That said, if people want to continue funding it, why should they say no?

It is also a pretty big assumption that some of these artists aren't charging for their brand being used. Not saying all are, maybe none are, but some might be charging to have their names engraved on these things.

"Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    Another thing to consider is that the 1st gen is typically better made than future generations. This is because companies try to cut costs by using cheaper parts, etc... I mean the first iPhone, the first iPad, those things are solid.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,507
    edited March 2014
    JB128716 said:

Another thing to consider is that the 1st gen is typically better made than future generations. This is because companies try to cut costs by using cheaper parts, etc... I mean the first iPhone, the first iPad, those things are solid.

I say this while typing on a 1st gen iPad that my 14 yo son has called less than a block of ice - I strenuously object! Yes strenuously.
    What 1st gen tech item is ever stable? If they had perfected it , they wouldn't need your money to continue development. What you say makes no sense.
    Post edited by EdsonNascimento on
  • Options
    They didn't say perfect. What he says makes total sense. Once a company has you, they generally try to cut costs to increase profit. Perfectly logical and Capitalistic.
    IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,418
    624% of goal. It's nothing but a money grab at this point...
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    Close to 5 million with 17 day's left.
  • Options
    Project Update #13: Founder's Message
    Posted by the PonoMusic Team Black heart (cards) Like

Here we are at the halfway point. My experience here at Kickstarter has been life changing. After banging my head against the walls of venture capitalism for almost three years, dealing with business experts who didn’t understand what we were trying to accomplish; rescue the art of recorded sound and make great music available into the future, I found you people. You are the ones who understand what this is. You have proven it with your amazing support.

When we blew through our goal and actually doubled it on the first day, you changed my life. I will never forget that. This is just the beginning of a long road towards our goal of rescuing the music, all of it, from Cab Calloway to Sinatra, the Beatles and Rolling Stones, to Nirvana and Patti Smith, to Jay Z and Rihanna, and beyond. All of this music is the world’s history, the cultural creations of artists since the beginning of recorded sound. Now it can be preserved, if we do our job right, for future generations to hear and feel, not just recognize.

We are working now with Rap and R&B music sources as well as Country Music and Classical, in an effort to show you how great all music can and will sound with PONO.

Thanks for your help. We are very grateful for it. Obviously we can’t do this without you.

Neil Young

Pono
  • Options
    One Foo is available now...
  • Options
    JV130312 said:

624% of goal. It's nothing but a money grab at this point...

How so? We're buying the player, not making donations.
  • Options
    Bought the Foos.

But thinking about DMB still.

Nice to be 'in'. Now just need to figure out which 'artist version' I ultimately want given you can change your selection. Tough call.
  • Options
    So venture capitalists who make money with their money as a livelihood think this isn't a wise investment yet we've just handed a very rich man millions of our dollars when he obviously wouldn't simply out his own millions into it. One has to ask why? Now maybe venture capitalists are wrong as they sometimes are. But why wouldn't Neil and friends simply put some of their own millions into it and not even worry about kickstarter? Eddie, Dave, Dave, Neil, Portugal, et al couldn't garner up $5 mill amongst themselves if they believed in this so much? Too risky? Ha ha ha. This whole thing is a joke. Too funny.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,760
    edited March 2014

So venture capitalists who make money with their money as a livelihood think this isn't a wise investment yet we've just handed a very rich man millions of our dollars when he obviously wouldn't simply out his own millions into it. One has to ask why? Now maybe venture capitalists are wrong as they sometimes are. But why wouldn't Neil and friends simply put some of their own millions into it and not even worry about kickstarter? Eddie, Dave, Dave, Neil, Portugal, et al couldn't garner up $5 mill amongst themselves if they believed in this so much? Too risky? Ha ha ha. This whole thing is a joke. Too funny.

If they'd just dumped their own money into it instead hardly any of us would have even heard about it by now. Why wouldn't they launch a very effective marketing campaign that also brings millions into the business AND demostrates to future players and investors that there is a market AND makes customers feel like they are somehow involved in growing a new music platform? Seems pretty brilliant to me!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    You know what assuming does... You're the joke pardner.

IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!