Pearl Jam limited edition chrome Pono Player

Comments

• october22october22 Posts: 2,533

So venture capitalists who make money with their money as a livelihood think this isn't a wise investment yet we've just handed a very rich man millions of our dollars when he obviously wouldn't simply out his own millions into it. One has to ask why? Now maybe venture capitalists are wrong as they sometimes are. But why wouldn't Neil and friends simply put some of their own millions into it and not even worry about kickstarter? Eddie, Dave, Dave, Neil, Portugal, et al couldn't garner up $5 mill amongst themselves if they believed in this so much? Too risky? Ha ha ha. This whole thing is a joke. Too funny.

How about because that's not how business works? The very wealthy use investors all the time and it doesn't take away from the integrity of a project to do so. Maybe you should read your own signature again.

Also, do you have any idea how much of his own money he's already put into this? None of us do exactly but it definitely costs a hell of a lot to develop and produce the prototypes he already has.
    Another thing you're missing is that this is much more of a pre-sale than a search for investors. We're actually buying the product!

Bought the Foos.

But thinking about DMB still.

Nice to be 'in'. Now just need to figure out which 'artist version' I ultimately want given you can change your selection. Tough call.

Was that off my tip, by the way? If so...you're welcome ;)
  • JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    We also have a new lowest seller. Someone called Portugal the Man has sold 1 Pono. That's some Wu Tang limited edition numbers right there.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
    JB128716 said:

We also have a new lowest seller. Someone called Portugal the Man has sold 1 Pono. That's some Wu Tang limited edition numbers right there.

Haha, I'd actually love to hear that Wu album.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,156
    Red Hot Chili Peppers ..

Foo Fighters ..

New updated Pearl Jam Pono Player ..

• PJ_Soul said:

So venture capitalists who make money with their money as a livelihood think this isn't a wise investment yet we've just handed a very rich man millions of our dollars when he obviously wouldn't simply out his own millions into it. One has to ask why? Now maybe venture capitalists are wrong as they sometimes are. But why wouldn't Neil and friends simply put some of their own millions into it and not even worry about kickstarter? Eddie, Dave, Dave, Neil, Portugal, et al couldn't garner up $5 mill amongst themselves if they believed in this so much? Too risky? Ha ha ha. This whole thing is a joke. Too funny.

If they'd just dumped their own money into it instead hardly any of us would have even heard about it by now. Why wouldn't they launch a very effective marketing campaign that also brings millions into the business AND demostrates to future players and investors that there is a market AND makes customers feel like they are somehow involved in growing a new music platform? Seems pretty brilliant to me!
    400 insane collector pearl jam fans, 400 old fart csn&y (of which I am one but didn't buy) fans and 1 Portugal fans does not a market make.

Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • What would you guys say if you found out each band/artist got a direct cut of each one they sell?

I assume not but just wondering (though they probably are getting an indirect cut by getting shares for their use of image).
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    that Foo Fighters one doesnt look good. That doesnt even look like their autographs. Is Taylor hawkins on there?

What would you guys say if you found out each band/artist got a direct cut of each one they sell?

I assume not but just wondering (though they probably are getting an indirect cut by getting shares for their use of image).

I wouldn't care. Should I?

Actually, I'd be even more impressed with Pono's price point in that case.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888

PJ_Soul said:

If they'd just dumped their own money into it instead hardly any of us would have even heard about it by now. Why wouldn't they launch a very effective marketing campaign that also brings millions into the business AND demostrates to future players and investors that there is a market AND makes customers feel like they are somehow involved in growing a new music platform? Seems pretty brilliant to me!
    400 insane collector pearl jam fans, 400 old fart csn&y (of which I am one but didn't buy) fans and 1 Portugal fans does not a market make.

Your entire opinion about all of this seems wrong to me. Thousands have already bought the things, spending millions months before they can even see the item in real life, and when you're after a niche market, that's a great start.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888

What would you guys say if you found out each band/artist got a direct cut of each one they sell?

I would say that sounds pretty fair.
    I don't understand what point you're trying to make.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Arts+and+Entertainment/ID/2445362306/

The National | Mar 28, 2014
    Neil Young's Pono player

Young says Pono is 'about the people who make the music and the way it sounds to us when we're in the studio... it's about you hearing what we hear.' But will listeners notice a difference?
  • october22 said:

Bought the Foos.

Nice to be 'in'. Now just need to figure out which 'artist version' I ultimately want given you can change your selection. Tough call.

I actually kept checking the site out and fluked out with my timing. I came on here right after and saw you has posted the information!

I appreciate the effort regardless so thanks for trying to help us out!
    "My brain's a good brain!"

october22 said:

Bought the Foos.

I actually kept checking the site out and fluked out with my timing. I came on here right after and saw you has posted the information!

Nice! I scored a previously sold out PJ while on the toilet. Hard work pays off.

:)
  • october22 said:

october22 said:

Bought the Foos.

Nice! I scored a previously sold out PJ while on the toilet. Hard work pays off.

Classic!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • JB128716 said:

They've actually put out some really decent stuff during their 7 or so years. His high-ranged voice is a put-off for some, but they're solid Indie rock with a really good sense of groove.

[i]Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?[/i]
  • october22 said:

october22 said:

Bought the Foos.

That is awesome. Congrats!

And in some ways seems apropos.

october22 said:

october22 said:

Bought the Foos.

Hahahah, thanks Edson...I guess ;)
  • JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064

PJ_Soul said:

You mean 500 insane collector pearl jam fans, 500 old fart csn&y (of which I am one but didn't buy) fans and 1 Portugal fans does not a market make.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • JV130312JV130312 Posts: 2,457
    628%...lol.
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.

I haven't seen the blue version yet on KickStarter.
  • october22 said:

october22 said:

october22 said:

Bought the Foos.

Hahahah, thanks Edson...I guess ;)
    I was serious. Glad you got one. You wanted it. Glad they made more available. I do see how you could think I was being sarcastic or facetious. I may think the concept and the way they are going about it silly, but that doesn't mean I don't want folks to have what they are looking for. And hey, hopefully it comes to fruition. What I think or do is irrelevant. If folks like it, then great.

By the same token, you don't see the humor in my opinion and where you located one?
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,759
    demetrios said:

I haven't seen the blue version yet on KickStarter.</blockquote

Doesn't look like i'll be able to use my Bose to dock the PONO player in.

Is there a way to be able to use the PONO player in a car?

Metallica ..

• Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,239
    So after a lot of deliberating on whether I should get an artist signature series other than PJ or wait until December when the second round of the standard Pono players would be available I decided to take the plunge and bought the Metallica version.

Being late to the Kickstarter party the only other options I had to chose from were Beck, RHCP or DMB. I figured I was more of a Metallica fan growing up than any of the other artist anyway but boy do I wish I had secured a PJ one instead!

Either way I can't wait to get my hands on this player to see if it really does give you that vinyl feel when you listen to it, I'm crossing my fingers that it does. And yes that does mean I'm going to actually use my device! I'm not even sure why someone would buy this device thinking someday it might be a "collectors" item.

RM
  • Greatplainsman...Greatplainsman... Posts: 840
    edited March 2014
    It wont be someday, it is a collectors item now. I will use mine also, and welcome to the party. Just be ready. Last day of kickstarter when people have to pay, a few Pearl Jam will pop up. Guaranteed.
    IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!
  • vaggar99vaggar99 Posts: 3,427
    cutz said:

demetrios said:

I haven't seen the blue version yet on KickStarter.

hard to say for sure, but the screen resolution looks poor. it looks about the same res as the original 2-3 iPhones. maybe it doesn't matter for a device thats dedicated to audio play. just an observation