Options

Sochi Olympics

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    It doesn't totally make up for The Winter War, but Finland must take great delight in kicking Russia square in the nuts on an international stage.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,677
    polaris_x said:

sooo ... the dutch have basically swept the speed skating ... gold/silver/bronze ... just dominating the event at all distances male and female ... mentioned that last night to a friend who's brother is involved with the sport and he said that apparently ALL the dutch speed skaters have a medical note saying they have exercise induced asthma meaning they are allowed to take a puff of an inhaler prior to their events ... pretty crazy that every single one of their speed skaters all have the same condition ... anyways ... thought i would share ...

I would want to see some kind of proof about that before jumping to any conclusions.... that's quite an accusation.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

sooo ... the dutch have basically swept the speed skating ... gold/silver/bronze ... just dominating the event at all distances male and female ... mentioned that last night to a friend who's brother is involved with the sport and he said that apparently ALL the dutch speed skaters have a medical note saying they have exercise induced asthma meaning they are allowed to take a puff of an inhaler prior to their events ... pretty crazy that every single one of their speed skaters all have the same condition ... anyways ... thought i would share ...

I would want to see some kind of proof about that before jumping to any conclusions.... that's quite an accusation.
    for sure ... i'm not gonna name names because it's likely that there might be some code of silence ...
  • Options
    WOW ... what a last few mins!! ... Canada comes back from 2-0 to tie in the last 3.5 mins ... going to overtime!!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Whoooaaaa. Canada ties the Women's gold medal game with only 30 seconds left in regulation! That almost makes me wish I were watching women's hockey! :P
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    Exciting!
  • Options
    CANADA!!!!!
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Burp!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    damn us women shit the bed there! wow, they had sooooo many chances to win that game!
  • Options
    That's a comeback!
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    blerg! blowing a two goal lead with 3.5 minutes to go? that is going to be a long plane ride back to the states.
  • Options
    wow ... ref should have kept the whistle in the pocket ...
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Wow! I actually kind of feel sorry for the US women. That must be fucking crushing, to lose like THAT. @-) Pretty pleased though. :)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Hell of a comeback-
    way to go ladies!

Cheers.

'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,495
    polaris_x said:

wow ... ref should have kept the whistle in the pocket ...

Yes, i agree that the ref choked, along with the U.S.A.. Can't be blowing a 2 goal lead.

At least the game was decided in OT and NOT that gimmick shoot-out.
  • Options
    crazy ...

the linesperson getting in the way ... the puck hitting the post on the empty net ... the slash call (i heard the US were warned not to do it) ... the non-penalty shot call ...
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,758
    Can't think of many losses worse than that. So brutal. Some very questionable refereeing towards both teams at the end there.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    polaris_x said:

the slash call (i heard the US were warned not to do it)

where did you hear that? It happened like 15 minutes ago
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

polaris_x said:

the slash call (i heard the US were warned not to do it)

where did you hear that? It happened like 15 minutes ago
    yahoo live blog of game ...
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    20 straight Olympic wins, 4 straight gold ... Supposedly the less skilled, less speed ... but the most heart.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,617
    lukin2006 said:

20 straight Olympic wins, 4 straight gold ... Supposedly the less skilled, less speed ... but the most heart.

Yeah, 4 straight gold medals because of heart. That's it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chFx9PX08-M

• Options
    commentator said it's almost better to play for bronze and win than play for gold and lose ... heartbreak
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

how would one conclude that a team with 20 straight wins and 4 straight gold medals is less skilled than their competition?
  • Options

lukin2006 said:

underrated sports movie right there.

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,617
    rival. said:

lukin2006 said:

underrated sports movie right there.

The gambling, chain smoking kicker is the best
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Canada has won all those games because there are only 2 competitive teams, and they know how to finish the kill. Their only worthy opponent hasnt figured it out.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    You know, we might just bomb Canada if the U.S. men lose tomorrow, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CndInjuB8bA

Or how about build a giant wall across the border?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kod1nIxteWQ
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    rival. said:

lukin2006 said:

how would one conclude that a team with 20 straight wins and 4 straight gold medals is less skilled than their competition?
    i think lukin is repeating what the prognosticators are saying ... in watching some of the games leading up to this tourney ... i really liked some of the skill on the US side ... kessel, decker, l'amoreux, knight, carpenter, etc ...

they were definitely the better team for most of the first 57 mins ...
  • Options

lukin2006 said:

Actually tihisgold was because of heart, the other three we were just great, the American Woman were heavy favourites having pretty much won all the tournament since Vancouver ... And when your down 2-0 in gold medal game with 3:30 left and you win that's clutch and takes a lot of heart.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    rival. said:

lukin2006 said:

What Polaris said ... Plus the Americans have cleaned up internationally since Vancouver ... And they are faster and more skilled, just not clutch.