Options

Sochi Olympics

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,618
    Best 4 teams are remaining. Was hoping Latvia could continue their run.

Thats what the olympics is about. Not these millionaires.
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    rival. said:

hmm, might have to take friday off.

You accidentally typed "might"

I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,728
    MayDay10 said:

I thought the Olympics were about the best in the sport, not the poorest.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    can't be feeling too good playing the americans next ...
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    PJ_Soul said:

rival. said:

alright, bring on the canadians. USA is playing in full on beast mode. cannot be stopped.

yes. really.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

MayDay10 said:

if it were the poorest, id be out there. the olympics were better before being used as an nhl marketing tool.

im all for pulling out of it and restarting the world cup/canada cup
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    polaris_x said:

can't be feeling too good playing the americans next ...

CANADA! CANADA!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    MayDay10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

MayDay10 said:

if it were the poorest, id be out there. the olympics were better before being used as an nhl marketing tool.

im all for pulling out of it and restarting the world cup/canada cup
    If NHL players didn't play in the Olympics then we'd be stuck watching second rate players who aren't the best athletes at their sport. Period. The Olympics is specifically for having the BEST athletes in the world in each sport competing against one another. It should not be any different for hockey. I really don't understand why anyone wouldn't want NHL players in the Olympics at all. It would be fucking stupid if they weren't, and no one would even watch, because they want to see the best battle it out.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    bettman would be a FOOL to pull NHL players from 2018's olympics. it's free marketing for his league on the highest level of competition an athlete can participate in. millions and millions and millions of people who normally don't watch hockey tune in and watch these games with great enthusiasm all without bettman having to pay a dime.

the break in NHL season is annoying and yeah, as a fan of the NHL you hold your breath hoping your best players don't go down with an injury. but the players obviously love going and have way too much pride to not participate. that's what will always make hockey such a special, unique sport. hockey players' pride in what they do cannot be rivaled by an other sport in the world.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I dont know. Im usually more entertained my the WJC games than the Olympic games, save a few rare games. You have situations with Russia with a team mailing it in, a bunch of egos, coaches with agendas. With the amateurs, its all effort and more in the spirit of the olympics. Latvia was nice to see. Those guys couldnt even stand by the end of the game.

The Canada Cup tournament was for pros. It was awesome. the US/Canada series from 1996 is among the top hockey I have ever seen in my life.

I guess its all a matter of opinion. It seems like it has been good when the Olympics was in SLC and Vancouver. The Italy ones were a boring disaster. I think this tournament has been very uneventful (we'll see now in the medal round). I cant recall anything about the Nagano olympics other than Hasek just stealing it.

Best gold medal game in my life was the 1994 between Canada and Sweden: Amateurs
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

I dont know. Im usually more entertained my the WJC games than the Olympic games, save a few rare games. You have situations with Russia with a team mailing it in, a bunch of egos, coaches with agendas. With the amateurs, its all effort and more in the spirit of the olympics. Latvia was nice to see. Those guys couldnt even stand by the end of the game.

The Canada Cup tournament was for pros. It was awesome. the US/Canada series from 1996 is among the top hockey I have ever seen in my life.

Even if you are more entertained by players who aren't as good, the Olympics ARE about the best athletes in the world competing against one another. That's how it is in EVERY single other Olympic sport. Why should it be any different for hockey?? Nothing wrong with the Canada Cup of course, but that doesn't make ridding Olympic hockey of the best players any more logical or right if you're talking about what the Olympics are about.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    MayDay10 said:

IThe Canada Cup tournament was for pros. It was awesome. the US/Canada series from 1996 is among the top hockey I have ever seen in my life.

yeah, that world cup tournament in '96 was some of the best hockey i've ever witnessed. i still have those final three games against canada on VHS somewhere.

mike richter's performance in game 3 has to be one of the greatest international hockey performances of all time.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    I hope Datsyuk makes it out alive! Babcock may need to smuggle him out Argo-style ....

@-)
  • Options
  • Options
    rival. said:

MayDay10 said:

IThe Canada Cup tournament was for pros. It was awesome. the US/Canada series from 1996 is among the top hockey I have ever seen in my life.

yeah, that world cup tournament in '96 was some of the best hockey i've ever witnessed. i still have those final three games against canada on VHS somewhere.

mike richter's performance in game 3 has to be one of the greatest international hockey performances of all time.
    thing is ... these events require a shit load of money to put on ... and there are only so many places it's feasible (mainly canada) ... which then means nhl rinks ... i much prefer the big ice for these events ... secondly - it's no good if it's always held in north america ...

at least with the olympics - it has the infrastructure of the games and it means bigger ice surfaces when it's overseas ...
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    I'm with you MayDay...have never been a fan of the NHL'ers in the Olympics.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

thing is ... these events require a shit load of money to put on ... and there are only so many places it's feasible (mainly canada) ... which then means nhl rinks ... i much prefer the big ice for these events ... secondly - it's no good if it's always held in north america ...

at least with the olympics - it has the infrastructure of the games and it means bigger ice surfaces when it's overseas ...

i absolutely love the larger ice surfaces. i've been preaching for the NHL to increase the ice surface (and change the win/loss/OT point structure, but that's another discussion) for a long time. the problem is, you increase the ice surface in these US rinks, you have to eliminate MANY rows of seating in these arenas which will obviously cut into the NHL's pocket. so i don't ever see that becoming a possibility.

today's athletes are too good. make them skate, make your coach utliize all four lines, make them balanced lines. and in return this eliminates fourth line goons that only play 6-8 minutes a game.
  • Options
    my solution is mandate bigger rinks for any new arena/major rennovation
  • Options

I'm with you MayDay...have never been a fan of the NHL'ers in the Olympics.

That's really unfair IMO.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,272
    rival. said:

polaris_x said:

i absolutely love the larger ice surfaces. i've been preaching for the NHL to increase the ice surface (and change the win/loss/OT point structure, but that's another discussion) for a long time. the problem is, you increase the ice surface in these US rinks, you have to eliminate MANY rows of seating in these arenas which will obviously cut into the NHL's pocket. so i don't ever see that becoming a possibility.

today's athletes are too good. make them skate, make your coach utliize all four lines, make them balanced lines. and in return this eliminates fourth line goons that only play 6-8 minutes a game.
    agree with these points. plus the athletes today are too big for the smaller ice surfaces. agree the change would be good but will never happen.

while it's cool every 4 years to watch the Olympics it really doesn't add anything for the NHL to have their players play in them. the only people watching these hockey games are people who already watch hockey anyways. maybe a US-Canada game will draw some extra fans but a US or Canada vs. Sweden final is not going to excite non-hockey fans.

• Options
    Let's remember that NHL players are also human beings. They want to play in the Olympics for themselves and out of a sense of competition and national pride, just like every other Olympian (for better or worse... I don't necessarily think that the whole Olympic mindset is terribly healthy). I personally don't give a shit about the NHL in these terms. I honestly don't even really think of these guys as NHL players during the Olympics. They are Olympic athletes.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    MayDay10 said:

my solution is mandate bigger rinks for any new arena/major rennovation

I agree with this.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Let's remember that NHL players are also human beings. They want to play in the Olympics for themselves and out of a sense of competition and national pride, just like every other Olympian (for better or worse... I don't necessarily think that the whole Olympic mindset is terribly healthy). I personally don't give a shit about the NHL in these terms. I honestly don't even really think of these guys as NHL players during the Olympics. They are Olympic athletes.

agreed. before bettman made up his mind about NHL players participating in these olympics, ovechkin was very adamant about playing regardless, even it it meant leaving the NHL. if bettman does pull the plug for future olympics, i truly think you will see many european players leave the NHL to play in other leagues overseas that are still very competitive, pay handsomely and get to live much closer to home.

just two examples off the top of my mind, jagr left the NHL to be closer to home while his dad was sick (obviously back in the NHL now though). everyone knows kovalchuk walked away from a lucrative contract from the devils to be closer to home.

i'm not saying the NHL will see a drastic drop in talent, but the players could be faced with a decision down the road and there are options outside the NHL to play hockey professionally.

• Options
    tavares out for the remainder of the games ... duchesne in ... i'd like to see subban back in ...
  • Options
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Why?
    polaris_x said:

MayDay10 said:

to think that Ted Nolan was blackballed for so many years by the satanic old guard of the NHL

ya ... been saying this for years ...
    You may be right, but as someone who has seen plenty of redwing games that's what Babcock likes, lots of shot, traffic around the net, all that happened today, the goalie played way over his head, sometimes that happens. 99.9% of the coaches in the nhl would not change a thing except score more! and Crosby missed a breakaway, Benn missed a wide open net, Perry missed a glorious opportunity out in front in the 3rd, not to mention the missed call on the hand on the puck in the 3rd period, and we had other opportunities we just failed to capitalize ... That happens. We move on and I am comfortable with how we are playing.

We just need to bury our chances.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    Pretty cocky, but the President of the United Territory of The Great White North (or as we know him as "Who is that guy with the squinty eyes and why is Obama giving him the time of day?" had these pointed words towards the upcoming US vs Hose Hound Olympic hockey match ...

You hear that Canada. I'm watching you like Shit Hawks. Shit Hawks ...
  • Options
    My biggest fear ... From Parts Unknown ...

• Options

Luongo ... Luongo ... Luongo ........