Options

Sochi Olympics

1171819202123»

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,657
    I like Patrick Kane the player -- Patrick Kane the person seems like he has been a dope for years. A disrespectful thing to say about a Bronze medal for all of the teams who would have loved to get one....and certainly not in the spirit of competition.
    I can understand him being bummed after losing 1-0 to Canada but this doesn't make him sound good and he includes the rest of the team in these comments. He is spoiled by 2 cups at such a young age.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    edited February 2014
    The NHL will be in S. Korea ... NBC has publicly stated they want them there. They paid 100's of millions for the 2018 winter olympics plus are the current nhl rights holders.
    Post edited by lukin2006 on
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Kane probably shouldn't have said that publicly but he is competitive. I remember when my high school lacrosse team lost in the sectional finals, we were given medals for coming in second. Not one of those medals made it off the bus when we got back to our school. A reminder that we lost. No one competitive wants anything but #1.
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    About the Kane comment, it's what I said all along. They lost a chance at the gold (1st place). He's a pro, his goal is to win. Getting 3rd is not a win. Maybe in Finland their citizens care what place they get. In the US, our country could give two shits.

"Did the win it all?"
    "No"
    "Next time"

Pro athletes in the US don't care about finishing 2nd or 3rd. You didn't win. Maybe he shouldn't have said anything, but I understand his point.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    Jason P said:

If the NHL stops letting players go to the Olympics, Russia is going to be an Olympic powerhouse for the rest of time if the KHL keeps sending them.

I don't see that happening ... The way the tournament is set up its easy to get stopped by a hot goalie in the medal rounds. Besides it looks to me that Russian hockey is on the decline.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options

About the Kane comment, it's what I said all along. They lost a chance at the gold (1st place). He's a pro, his goal is to win. Getting 3rd is not a win. Maybe in Finland their citizens care what place they get. In the US, our country could give two shits.

"Did the win it all?"
    "No"
    "Next time"

Pro athletes in the US don't care about finishing 2nd or 3rd. You didn't win. Maybe he shouldn't have said anything, but I understand his point.

I understand he's a professional athlete ... But if that's his logic that kind of of goes against what the Olympics are suppose to be about.

• Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,784
    There were lots of pro athletes and NHLERS on many teams and none of them felt the need to make any statements like that. It just sounds like sour grapes, and his way of dealing with not getting his way is apparently to say douchey things.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    lukin2006 said:

Jason P said:

If the NHL stops letting players go to the Olympics, Russia is going to be an Olympic powerhouse for the rest of time if the KHL keeps sending them.

I don't see that happening ... The way the tournament is set up its easy to get stopped by a hot goalie in the medal rounds. Besides it looks to me that Russian hockey is on the decline.
    Well I think the Russians would have the greatest overall talent pool to chose from as they could still field a team of professional hockey players. US and Canada would be fielding amature teams, as minor league clubs won't be stopping either. The main advantage we might have is that the teams would have more time to gel as a unit, but I think they would still be hard pressed to beat a team headed by Kolvachuck and the likes.

Other countries send their best to the NHL. Russia still has top talent that plays in the Motherland. And they would be playing against players that couldn't make the top line of the Wisconsin Badgers.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,626
    Jason P said:

lukin2006 said:

Jason P said:

Well I think the Russians would have the greatest overall talent pool to chose from as they could still field a team of professional hockey players. US and Canada would be fielding amature teams, as minor league clubs won't be stopping either. The main advantage we might have is that the teams would have more time to gel as a unit, but I think they would still be hard pressed to beat a team headed by Kolvachuck and the likes.

Other countries send their best to the NHL. Russia still has top talent that plays in the Motherland. And they would be playing against players that couldn't make the top line of the Wisconsin Badgers.
    That is true!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

There were lots of pro athletes and NHLERS on many teams and none of them felt the need to make any statements like that. It just sounds like sour grapes, and his way of dealing with not getting his way is apparently to say douchey things.

I'm talking the US team. We feel 2nd place is the first loser.

I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    Jason P said:

lukin2006 said:

Jason P said:

Your assuming the khl is loaded with more talent than the ahl where I suspect at least canada would draw their talent pool from. Russian didn't impress me with their mix of nhl and khl talent, and it was not just this Olympics ... They looked terrible in Vancouver and are 0-5 since the nhl joined. I'll bet with the right coaching canada would ice a very competitive team of ahl players.

I for one thought this would be the last Olympics for the NHL ... I am now leaning to it's more likely they'll continue to partipate.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,657
    Canada invented the sport they should win every tourney. It would be like the US losing in baseball at the.....oh wait....we did lose the WBC....every time. LOL. (I went to the finals one time and it was awesome even though the US wasnt in the game.)

Canada was the best team, they won.

Are we going to get a World Cup in 2 years? :) Cannot wait -- loved watching the games, seeing all of those great names together on most of the teams was a lot of fun.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    drivingrl said:

lukin2006 said:

Canada vs USA women's hockey ... Good game so far.

I know I'm being a Bitter Betty when I say this, but the USA women's hockey team was robbed. They've played consistently great hockey, and Canada shows up the last ten minutes and wins with the benefit of questionable penalties? Not OK. Again, I know... Bitter, party of me, my table is now available.

I had no idea the olympians pay so much in taxes to bring their medals home! :-O nbcnews.com/storyline/sochi-olympics/olympic-medal-well-done-now-pay-your-taxes-uncle-sam-n33651

So happy for Jamie Benn! He really got the opportunity to show off what he's made of!
    You are right. The game should have ended on a penalty shot. PERIOD! Speaking of bad penalty calls.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612

Canada invented the sport they should win every tourney. It would be like the US losing in baseball at the.....oh wait....we did lose the WBC....every time. LOL. (I went to the finals one time and it was awesome even though the US wasnt in the game.)

Are we going to get a World Cup in 2 years? :) Cannot wait -- loved watching the games, seeing all of those great names together on most of the teams was a lot of fun.

Im not sure baseball is a good comparison. Baseball has been on a rapid decline in the US for well over 20 years.

Canada was certainly the best team.

It looks like we are going to get a decision about the SK olympics within 6 months (AKA Summer). At that time I am sure that (if they decide no olympics), they will roll out plans for a 2015 or 2016 WC.

It sounds like they are giving NBC a major voice in the decision and I cant see them declining NHLers in the olympics though.
  • Options

I'd prefer them to stick with the Olympics ... they may not get direct compensation but they get a chance to show the best players in the world from their league. That has to help them grow the sport in markets they would not normally have access to. Are they going to pick and choose which Olympics to participate in? Would they risk skipping South Korea, then participate in China if they are awarded the 2022 games? China a huge market, tremendous potential to grow your sport, same as SK. I really don't see them opting out of the Olympics, I tend to think this more showmanship for the NHL to gain some concessions from the IIHF. It'll be interesting to see for sure ... but with marketing, merchandising and promoting of your game that has to be of great benefit to the nhl ...

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,214

rival. said:

wow, kane practically saying the US team didn't even try to win bronze:

"We were playing against a team like Finland, who probably appreciate those bronze medals a little bit more than we could. It would have been nice to bring it home, but it obviously didn't work out that way. But I still thought we had a good tournament and proved ourselves that we're a good hockey country."

http://espn.go.com/oly/winter/2014/icehockey/story/_/id/10521932/patrick-kane-says-sochi-olympics-step-back-us-hockey

That has got to be one of the most condescending egotistical remarks ever. Bad show america.
    what he said is not wrong though. The Finnish players appreciate those medals more than we would have. maybe shouldn't have said it but not really wrong.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    pjhawks said:

rival. said:

"We were playing against a team like Finland, who probably appreciate those bronze medals a little bit more than we could. It would have been nice to bring it home, but it obviously didn't work out that way. But I still thought we had a good tournament and proved ourselves that we're a good hockey country."

http://espn.go.com/oly/winter/2014/icehockey/story/_/id/10521932/patrick-kane-says-sochi-olympics-step-back-us-hockey

That has got to be one of the most condescending egotistical remarks ever. Bad show america.
    what he said is not wrong though. The Finnish players appreciate those medals more than we would have. maybe shouldn't have said it but not really wrong.
    He's not really right. Finland only wanted the gold as well. They just aren't as bad at losing as the US team.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,784
    PJ_Soul said:

pjhawks said:

rival. said:

He's not really right. Finland only wanted the gold as well. They just aren't at bad as losing at the US team.
    =D> :-bd
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

pjhawks said:

rival. said:

He's not really right. Finland only wanted the gold as well. They just aren't as bad at losing as the US team.
    hmmmmmm

USA

2 - Gold

8 - Silver

1 - Bronze

Finland

0 - Gold

2 - Silver

4 - Bronze
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

pjhawks said:

rival. said:

hmmmmmm

USA

2 - Gold

8 - Silver

1 - Bronze

Finland

0 - Gold

2 - Silver

4 - Bronze
    No idea what you're trying to say there.... Do you think that Finland is specifically aiming for bronze and avoiding gold on purpose? ;)
  • Options
    I'm saying it looks like they are better at losing, overall. image
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options

I'm saying it looks like they are better at losing, overall. image

image That is true!
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    anyone watch sledgehockey before? ... Canada vs. US semi on now ... it's pretty awesome i think!