Options

Sochi Olympics

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    TJ Oshie's Dad ...

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Keep wishing for the bigger ice surface ... Not happening, the nhl will never mandate that. These hockey games haven't been nearly as exciting as the games in Vancouver. The problem with nhl isn't size of the ice surface it has 6-8 to many teams, but I know they'll never reduce teams and seemed poised to expand by 2 to balance out the conferences. All the big ice surface would do in the nhl is make the games look worse ... IMO.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

tavares out for the remainder of the games ... duchesne in ... i'd like to see subban back in ...

I don't think he's trusted by the coaching staff ... Our D has been our strong point, 7 goals scored and only giving up 3. I like Duchesne in. I'm quite fine with how things are going, I think the Swiss took us to shoot out 4 years ago, Canada never just walks through these tournaments. Mike Babcock has talked about adversity in the past, he see's it as a good thing. I like the fact we got tested by the fins and Latvia, and today's game was a hard game ... Yes we got a ton of shots, they got very little in the ways of shots but in the third they forced price to make some tough saves. I like the fact we didn't get frustrated and try to do much ...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    edited February 2014
    Jason P said:

TJ Oshie's Dad ...

And he's wearing a canadian toxedo...
    Post edited by Longueuil on
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,783
    rival. said:

hmm, might have to take friday off.

requested a half day as soon as it was clear the US would advance. God I can't wait for Friday!
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

can't be feeling too good playing the americans next ...

Why?

• Options

this should act as motivation.

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    lukin2006 said:

polaris_x said:

Why?
    because the americans have been playing really well ... they're skating much much better which is what you have to do on the big ice surface ... we aren't showing much chemistry ... lots of guys standing around ... except for the getzlaf line ...
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    ISLANDERS F TAVARES OUT FOR REST OF SEASON WITH KNEE INJURY

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=444273

New York Islanders forward John Tavares will miss the remainder of the 2013/14 season with the knee injury that he suffered during the Sochi Olympic Games. The injury is to the medial collateral ligament and he also suffered meniscus damage.

The injury could require surgery but a decision will not be made until after Tavares has been examined by Islanders doctors upon returning to the team.

Tavares was injured in Canada's quarter-final victory over Latvia on Wednesday.

The New York Islanders captain was taken into the boards by Arturs Kulda in the second period.

Will this injury be what prevents NHL players from Olympics?

• Options
    sooo ... the dutch have basically swept the speed skating ... gold/silver/bronze ... just dominating the event at all distances male and female ... mentioned that last night to a friend who's brother is involved with the sport and he said that apparently ALL the dutch speed skaters have a medical note saying they have exercise induced asthma meaning they are allowed to take a puff of an inhaler prior to their events ... pretty crazy that every single one of their speed skaters all have the same condition ... anyways ... thought i would share ...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

lukin2006 said:

polaris_x said:

Why?
    because the americans have been playing really well ... they're skating much much better which is what you have to do on the big ice surface ... we aren't showing much chemistry ... lots of guys standing around ... except for the getzlaf line ...
    Well of all the hockey analyst I've seen most have no problem with how where playing except the goals have been hard to come by. So far your about the only one I've hear.d complain about how we played against Latvia. Fuck we put about 60 shot had about 30 scoring scoring chances, missed a break away in the first hit 2 crossbars in the first period alone, in the 3rd at one point we were out shooting them 22-3 ... yeah that sounds like a team standing around. Sometimes a goalie comes along and just plays super well ... my guess this goalie was super motivated, he's a Tampa draft, so Nolan put him in the game to give him a chance to impress Yzerman, classy move by Nolan.

Will they win tomorrow? That I don't know. I know Switzerland almost took us out in Vancouver and Slovakia gave us a run for our money. Personally you seem to want Canada to fail on the big ice, or maybe as die hard leaf you have trouble admitting that a wing coach has got these guys playing pretty well on the big ice and your leaf coach lead team Canada to embarrassment in Turin.

• Options
    polaris_x said:

sooo ... the dutch have basically swept the speed skating ... gold/silver/bronze ... just dominating the event at all distances male and female ... mentioned that last night to a friend who's brother is involved with the sport and he said that apparently ALL the dutch speed skaters have a medical note saying they have exercise induced asthma meaning they are allowed to take a puff of an inhaler prior to their events ... pretty crazy that every single one of their speed skaters all have the same condition ... anyways ... thought i would share ...

Other than the hockey and curling I don't care for the Olympics anymore, huge waste of money. They spent all that money in Sochi and its been reported that they'll not have the money for the upkeep of the venues after the Olmpics. What a waste.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    I think we are headed for 2-1 tomorrow in the CAN/USA semi. Who will get the big goal?
    (Please let it be one of the USA players...the gold medal game last time around was heartbreaking.)
    Again we need Quickie to stand on his head.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

polaris_x said:

lukin2006 said:

polaris_x said:

Why?
    Well of all the hockey analyst I've seen most have no problem with how where playing except the goals have been hard to come by. So far your about the only one I've hear.d complain about how we played against Latvia. Fuck we put about 60 shot had about 30 scoring scoring chances, missed a break away in the first hit 2 crossbars in the first period alone, in the 3rd at one point we were out shooting them 22-3 ... yeah that sounds like a team standing around. Sometimes a goalie comes along and just plays super well ... my guess this goalie was super motivated, he's a Tampa draft, so Nolan put him in the game to give him a chance to impress Yzerman, classy move by Nolan.

Will they win tomorrow? That I don't know. I know Switzerland almost took us out in Vancouver and Slovakia gave us a run for our money. Personally you seem to want Canada to fail on the big ice, or maybe as die hard leaf you have trouble admitting that a wing coach has got these guys playing pretty well on the big ice and your leaf coach lead team Canada to embarrassment in Turin.
    my observation was that there wasn't that many great scoring chances ... we fired a lot of pucks but for the most part - they hit the goalie and really the two goals we scored were mistakes by him ...

hahaha ... you've lost your rockers ... i'm not anti-detroit like you ... i don't care if the coach is the coach of any team ... i don't think we're playing the right style for the larger ice surface ... and saying i want them to lose is about as absurd as it gets ...

every analyst will tell you the americans have looked much better ... i'm not the only one ...
  • Options
    swiss women with a big comeback in the 3rd ...
  • Options
    edited February 2014

I think we are headed for 2-1 tomorrow in the CAN/USA semi. Who will get the big goal?
    (Please let it be one of the USA players...the gold medal game last time around was heartbreaking.)
    Again we need Quickie to stand on his head.

I say just enjoy the game, win or lose. Pr
    polaris_x said:

lukin2006 said:

polaris_x said:

lukin2006 said:

polaris_x said:

Why?

my observation was that there wasn't that many great scoring chances ... we fired a lot of pucks but for the most part - they hit the goalie and really the two goals we scored were mistakes by him ...

hahaha ... you've lost your rockers ... i'm not anti-detroit like you ... i don't care if the coach is the coach of any team ... i don't think we're playing the right style for the larger ice surface ... and saying i want them to lose is about as absurd as it gets ...

every analyst will tell you the americans have looked much better ... i'm not the only one ...
    I know the Americans have looked better ... I know the analyst have said the Americans have looked better ... I know the Americans probably are favored. The Canadian coaching staff on numerous occasions has said its more of a defensive game on the bigger ice, that appears to be their strategy. Will it work, we'll find out. Yeah you have ragged on the fact that you don't think Canada can adapt to the big ice surface. And again they had over 30 scoring chances, the Latvian goalie played outstanding, funny goalies do that sometimes. And in my opinion this hockey on the big ice surface you're so fond of does not compare to Vancouver ... maybe US/Russia was the exception ... but even that game was was up and down but not a ton of scoring chances. I'll stick with our nhl sized arenas.

As for the American teams, maybe so, we didn't pick our schedule. The teams we played we out chanced greatly ... has it ever occurred to anyone that maybe we played the best team in the tournament ... Finland? After all they took out the clear Gold favorite quite easily.

Definition of Scoring chance ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoring_chance

Scoring chance

A scoring chance, in ice hockey is an attempt or chance for a team or holder of the puck to score a goal.

While there is no exact definition of a scoring chance, the Elias Sports Bureau, who is the official statistics recorder of the National Hockey League and many other professional sports leagues, clarifies a scoring chance as an attempt or shot taken from a "home-plate shaped area" that goes from the top of the faceoff circles, through the faceoff dots, then angled to the goal posts. Another possible definition of a scoring chance can be any shot that is taken by an attacking team on an odd man rush, such as a 2-on-1 or 3-on-2 break.

A reason many box scores and stat sheets list the number of scoring chances is to differentiate between shots that are relatively easy saves for the goaltender (shots that are not scoring chances) and shots that are not easy saves (shots that are also scoring ch
    Post edited by lukin2006 on

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,625
    edited February 2014
    lukin2006 said:

Keep wishing for the bigger ice surface ... Not happening, the nhl will never mandate that. These hockey games haven't been nearly as exciting as the games in Vancouver. The problem with nhl isn't size of the ice surface it has 6-8 to many teams, but I know they'll never reduce teams and seemed poised to expand by 2 to balance out the conferences. All the big ice surface would do in the nhl is make the games look worse ... IMO.

I dont base it on these games, Vancouver games, etc. Anything with these "all star teams" playing for high stakes skews play anyways.

I watched some old games, and the players are so much smaller back then, and also consider how much the equipment has grown. They were also much slower. Goalies and their equipment were so much smaller and they took up so little of the net. Games then seem generally much more exciting. Players have grown too much and have gotten way too efficient for the current 200x85 surface IMO. There is no room, games are slogged down, and it results in many more "questionable" collisions that we see all the calls for suspension.

I would like to see:
    the net opening increased
    Pads made softer/smaller if possible
    Mandate bigger ice surface in any new building/major renovation moving forward.

It wont happen, but the NHL will continue to struggle with boring play and constant concussion issues and an inability to create any space for the star players. You give Crosby and Malkin some more space in the offensive zone against the Mike Webers of the world, when Ryan Miller cant take up 80% of the net opening and we will see some entertaining play.

I also dont buy the "watered down" argument. There are exponentially more amateur/youth players playing today than when there were 6, 12, 18, 21 teams. Average players today would be all stars back in the 60s. Also the NHL is international now, and really wasnt back in the day

Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

lukin2006 said:

I dont base it on these games, Vancouver games, etc. Anything with these "all star teams" playing for high stakes skews play anyways.

I watched some old games, and the players are so much smaller back then, and also consider how much the equipment has grown. They were also much slower. Goalies and their equipment were so much smaller and they took up so little of the net. Games then seem generally much more exciting. Players have grown too much and have gotten way too efficient for the current 200x85 surface IMO. There is no room, games are slogged down, and it results in many more "questionable" collisions that we see all the calls for suspension.

I would like to see:

It wont happen, but the NHL will continue to struggle with boring play and constant concussion issues and an inability to create any space for the star players. You give Crosby and Malkin some more space in the offensive zone against the Mike Webers of the world, when Ryan Miller cant take up 80% of the net opening and we will see some entertaining play.

Bobby Orr on an CBC interview believes the concussion issue is related to the removal of the center ice line. He would like to see that rule changed back to where you can go offside at center ice, he believes the guys are coming through the neutral zone too fast, Scotty Bowman has also said this should be changed back ... they are both right ... imo.

• Options
    I agree with that. Maybe I dont notice anymore, but I really dont think the 2 line pass rule elimination adds anything
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

I know the Americans have looked better ... I know the analyst have said the Americans have looked better ... I know the Americans probably are favored. The Canadian coaching staff on numerous occasions has said its more of a defensive game on the bigger ice, that appears to be their strategy. Will it work, we'll find out. Yeah you have ragged on the fact that you don't think Canada can adapt to the big ice surface. And again they had over 30 scoring chances, the Latvian goalie played outstanding, funny goalies do that sometimes. And in my opinion this hockey on the big ice surface you're so fond of does not compare to Vancouver ... maybe US/Russia was the exception ... but even that game was was up and down but not a ton of scoring chances. I'll stick with our nhl sized arenas.

As for the American teams, maybe so, we didn't pick our schedule. The teams we played we out chanced greatly ... has it ever occurred to anyone that maybe we played the best team in the tournament ... Finland? After all they took out the clear Gold favorite quite easily.

Scoring chance

A scoring chance, in ice hockey is an attempt or chance for a team or holder of the puck to score a goal.

While there is no exact definition of a scoring chance, the Elias Sports Bureau, who is the official statistics recorder of the National Hockey League and many other professional sports leagues, clarifies a scoring chance as an attempt or shot taken from a "home-plate shaped area" that goes from the top of the faceoff circles, through the faceoff dots, then angled to the goal posts. Another possible definition of a scoring chance can be any shot that is taken by an attacking team on an odd man rush, such as a 2-on-1 or 3-on-2 break.

A reason many box scores and stat sheets list the number of scoring chances is to differentiate between shots that are relatively easy saves for the goaltender (shots that are not scoring chances) and shots that are not easy saves (shots that are also scoring ch

ok ... so, to be clear ... your assertions that:

1. i am the only one who thinks the canadians haven't looked good
    2. that i want the canadians to lose
    3. that i want to see a detroit coach fail

are all false and ludicrous ... correct? ... that's all i want to clear up ...

how can you say the russians were the clear gold favourite? ... i think the Finns are playing a great team game utilizing their best assets ... i just don't think we are doing that ...
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,291
    lukin2006 said:

MayDay10 said:

lukin2006 said:

I would like to see:

Bobby Orr on an CBC interview believes the concussion issue is related to the removal of the center ice line. He would like to see that rule changed back to where you can go offside at center ice, he believes the guys are coming through the neutral zone too fast, Scotty Bowman has also said this should be changed back ... they are both right ... imo.
    I don't agree with this at all. it would slow the game down dramatically. the equipment and the size of the players is a bigger issue than the speed. with the size of the players and the equipment it would move the game back to the 90s where scoring was so difficult and any lead in a playoff game was almost insurmountable. they've done a good job of trying to eliminate head shots which is pretty much all you can do regarding concussions.

• Options
    Definitely gotta look at the US more seriously than any time in the past IMO. They have been the best team in the tournament, which is a rarity. In Vancouver, they got to the Silver even though they were outplayed for stretches and their goaltending bailed them out.

Should be an awesome game.

• Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    rearranged everything i have to do at work tomorrow and now have the day off. drinking starts at 10:45 CST. BAM! :ar!
  • Options
    My boss scheduled a meeting a 2pm EST on friday at the last second ... :((
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    Jason P said:

DIRTY! you're talking third period action around then!
  • Options
    rival. said:

Jason P said:

DIRTY! you're talking third period action around then!
    I'm going to have to tape it and then avoid all media / internet / texts / phone calls for the rest of the day. Which guarantees some asshole co-worker is going to blurt out the score five minutes before I walk out the door …
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

I agree with that. Maybe I dont notice anymore, but I really dont think the 2 line pass rule elimination adds anything

I never really gave it any thought until a saw an interview with Bowman who mentioned it should be off side at center ice and then the Orr interview where he thought players were picking up to much speed through the neutral zone ... I think the NHL would be wise to listen to the greatest NHL coach of all time and the great NHL defense man and possibly player of all time, but we know they won't.

• Options
    Jason P said:

You're boss not a hockey fan, I take it.

• Options
    pjhawks said:

lukin2006 said:

MayDay10 said:

lukin2006 said:

I would like to see:

I don't agree with this at all. it would slow the game down dramatically. the equipment and the size of the players is a bigger issue than the speed. with the size of the players and the equipment it would move the game back to the 90s where scoring was so difficult and any lead in a playoff game was almost insurmountable. they've done a good job of trying to eliminate head shots which is pretty much all you can do regarding concussions.

I'm not going to doubt your hockey knowledge ... but Orr did say speed was a problem. Don Cherry has stated equipment is a problem as well, so it's probably a combination of both. But 2 of the greatest people in the game basically doesn't see it adding to the game. Why does the nhl have to adopt everything from European Hockey ... first no offside in the neutral, then the ridiculous shootouts and now everyone wants european sized rinks, and when then doesn't work and makes the game more exciting what next?

• Options
    polaris_x said:

lukin2006 said:

Scoring chance

ok ... so, to be clear ... your assertions that:

1. i am the only one who thinks the canadians haven't looked good
    2. that i want the canadians to lose
    3. that i want to see a detroit coach fail

are all false and ludicrous ... correct? ... that's all i want to clear up ...

how can you say the russians were the clear gold favourite? ... i think the Finns are playing a great team game utilizing their best assets ... i just don't think we are doing that ...
    I guess its how you see it. They are out chancing their opponents by wide margins, their opponents have been collapsing in front of the net making it very difficult at getting the type of shots these guys are probably used too. All 4 of these teams they have faced have at least a chance to play together for far longer than a week (other than Finland, but I think about 1/2 their roster is non nhl).

I already said the Americans are playing better. But Babcock said its a process, get better everyday ...

Somethings I really like about this team

a) in games against Latvia, Finland and Norway they could have easily got frustrated and started to try and do to much, they stuck to the plan, this tells me they've bought into the system.

b) their d has been outstanding

c) price who hasn't seen many shots was pretty good when called upon, which all former goalies will tell you is tough.

d) they've out played and out chanced their oppositions by wide margins

if they were winning these games 6-1 or something like that this conversation wouldn't be happening.

And yes many people had Russia as the favorite ... and they played horrible for the most part, so just maybe that shoot out win by the US is not so impressive after all, and maybe our OT win over Finland was a good win ... who knows. We haven't played any common opponents.

We'll find out tomorrow.