Options

Sochi Olympics

Comments

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    polaris_x said:

rival. said:

lukin2006 said:

20 straight Olympic wins, 4 straight gold ... Supposedly the less skilled, less speed ... but the most heart.

how would one conclude that a team with 20 straight wins and 4 straight gold medals is less skilled than their competition?
    i think lukin is repeating what the prognosticators are saying ... in watching some of the games leading up to this tourney ... i really liked some of the skill on the US side ... kessel, decker, l'amoreux, knight, carpenter, etc ...

they were definitely the better team for most of the first 57 mins ...

Agreed ... I will chalk this up there as easily one the top Canadian hockey moments.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

commentator said it's almost better to play for bronze and win than play for gold and lose ... heartbreak

Listening to tsn radio one of the commentators mentioned how happy the Swiss looked, how heartbroken the Americans looked, and how happy the Canadians looked ... So probably some truth to that.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,084
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,625
    lukin2006 said:

lukin2006 said:

20 straight Olympic wins, 4 straight gold ... Supposedly the less skilled, less speed ... but the most heart.

Yeah, 4 straight gold medals because of heart. That's it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chFx9PX08-M

Actually tihisgold was because of heart, the other three we were just great, the American Woman were heavy favourites having pretty much won all the tournament since Vancouver ... And when your down 2-0 in gold medal game with 3:30 left and you win that's clutch and takes a lot of heart.
    Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd it takes a lot of luck in hitting the post of an empty net.

• Options

lukin2006 said:

lukin2006 said:

Actually tihisgold was because of heart, the other three we were just great, the American Woman were heavy favourites having pretty much won all the tournament since Vancouver ... And when your down 2-0 in gold medal game with 3:30 left and you win that's clutch and takes a lot of heart.

You mean the play in which the linesman took the the Canadian player out of the play when she was playing the puck ... Nice try.

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,886
    Stakes are high for tomorrows game

...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,562

Stakes are high for tomorrows game

:D:D:D
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,562
    I've seen some pretty nasty skiing falls.....seems like the medical people are slooooooow
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,625
    edited February 2014
    lukin2006 said:

lukin2006 said:

lukin2006 said:

You mean the play in which the linesman took the the Canadian player out of the play when she was playing the puck ... Nice try.
    I don't understand your point at all. That puck hitting the post had nothing to do with "heart" and had a bit more to do with luck, regardless of anything going on during the play. They got a good break and did what they had to do.

Have I ever mentioned I hate cliches?
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i think the "heart" comment is because the US were clearly the better team ... i'm not sure but i believe this US team has dominated the canadians basically since the worlds last year ... they've been just better and they were tonight ... so, ya - there is some luck involved but you have to make your own luck as well ... you can't deny what was clearly an amazing comeback - you can't accomplish that on luck alone ...

• Options

lukin2006 said:

lukin2006 said:

lukin2006 said:

I don't understand your point at all. That puck hitting the post had nothing to do with "heart" and had a bit more to do with luck, regardless of anything going on during the play
    The Canadian player was attempting to play the puck when the linesman backed into the Canadian player which allowed the American player to retrieve the puck and fire the puck off the goal post ... And goal post are part of the game and so is great goaltending. The US woman played well, deserved a better fate. I really think people who place this result as Canada being better than the US is wrong. Probably in a 7 games series the US win it, and can't believe how many people feel tomorrow's game between the men determine hockey supremacy ... The only way to really determine that is in a longer series, likely never happen. I am saying this Canadian team showed heart and they were clutch. The American team is faster and more skilled ...

Good luck to your team tomorrow ...

• Options
    This will probably come as a major shock ... But a controversy has brewed at the ladies figure skating. I'll post article later.

• Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    Brad Jacobs + co.
    round out the curling medals
    for Canada with a gold medal victory
    over Great Britain!
    Rock!

Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • Options
    Gold for Russia, silver for South Korea's Yuna Kim, and controversy ensues

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/21/sport/kim-sotnikova-skating-controversy/index.html

• Options

Brad Jacobs + co.
    round out the curling medals
    for Canada with a gold medal victory
    over Great Britain!
    Rock!

Cheers.

I watched quite a bit of the curling ... both the Canadian woman and men curled great this week. Just like Vancouver we're closing out the Olympics really strong.

• Options
    jmsjms Posts: 243
    If the US loses this game I hope its all Ryan Suter's fault.
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:
    Thanx for that!
    I cannot believe that Yuna Kim did not get the gold.
    Of course I'm no expert in these matters,
    but Kim's landings were absolutely stunning.
    I'm not sure if anything can or even should be done,
    but it's important to raise the issue at least.

Cheers.

• Options

lukin2006 said:
    Thanx for that!
    I cannot believe that Yuna Kim did not get the gold.
    Of course I'm no expert in these matters,
    but Kim's landings were absolutely stunning.
    I'm not sure if anything can or even should be done,
    but it's important to raise the issue at least.

Cheers.

After Kim's score was announced Kurt Browning commented "I'm shocked".... Coming from him I'll take that as a possible something's not right comment, he's usually pretty diplomatic from what I've seen.

• Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    So far so good Canada!
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Outplayed. Have to be happy only being down 1. Need to generate some O.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    quick is the reason this game wasn't over half way through the 2nd. the US needs a bounce.
  • Options
    Canada's played their strongest game of the tournament thus far.
    Hopefully they can keep it up for 20 more minutes.
    Price is taking care of business too.

Cheers.
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Ice-hockey: Sweden to final yeah \:D/
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    CANADA!

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,698
    Wow nice game, props to CAN.
    Rooting for CAN in gold medal round.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    :-&
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    Wow. Quick defiinitely kept us in the game and gave us a chance. Canada was definitely the better team.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    edited February 2014
    We don't want Bieber! :((

Congrats, Canada! Good game!
    Post edited by jlaustin on
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1