Options

New forum discussion here!

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,795

brianlux said:

The whole deal with the forum change, the look, the reactions-- I think I finally figured it out. It's like a modern Kafka novel.

=)) Metamorphosis! We showed up one morning and our favorite son was one big cockroach! 8-} You should know there's no hope of going back.

I don't mind the new forum, but I thought you'd appreciate that, Brian.
    You got it, K.! :))
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,090

deleting pms?? I can't even write a pm. when I attempted to, I clicked on the person's name, then a text box appeared, so I ASSUMED that meant write your pm here. Wrong! A couple days later I got an email from Kat saying "hey stupid, use the pm function and stop writing on that guys activity wall." I don't know what that even means.

Also, I've been shown how to embed YouTube videos and still can't figure it out. I guess it's all just operator error.

Not sure if you're being disingenuous, but if not...

Clicking on a person's name and writing in the box that appeared is a "public" message, everyone can see it. If you want to write a private message, I think the best way is to go to your inbox and then click "New Message" and go from there.
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996

I still check in every day, but can't stay long, as the "old" eyes can't take it!

My 16 year old daughter looked at the "new" forum and said, "Why is it so white? And why are the letters so small?"

• Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,690
    For what it's worth, I think the new forum is total garbage. The first few times I came to the 'new' forum.... I thought something was wrong with my browser.
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    It's starting to make me laugh that it still looks like this. It actually surprises me a little.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007

It's starting to make me laugh that it still looks like this. It actually surprises me a little.

Exactly...How long is this going to go on for?...Either go back to the Old Look or atleast do something about this eyesore.

• Options
    i_lov_it said:

Exactly...How long is this going to go on for?...Either go back to the Old Look or atleast do something about this eyesore.

I'm guessing it's either live with it, download the excellent greasemonkey script (which has kept me here) or start a mutiny. Oh wait, that's already happened on its own.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:

i_lov_it said:

I'm guessing it's either live with it, download the excellent greasemonkey script (which has kept me here) or start a mutiny. Oh wait, that's already happened on its own.

Do you participate in any of the Facebook groups?
    I know a ton of folks have gone that direction.
    Personally? I wouldn't, couldn't do facebook in a gazillion years.

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options

brianlux said:

i_lov_it said:

Do you participate in any of the Facebook groups?
    I know a ton of folks have gone that direction.
    Personally? I wouldn't, couldn't do facebook in a gazillion years.

Yeah, once in a while, casually, but I find them hare to keep hard to track of. With having downloaded the script here, I feel as comfortable on this site as I did before it was reformatted and find myself connected better with the band and fans here than on Facebook. For me Facebook is basically good for keeping track of and keeping in touch with the kids and nieces and nephews and grand-kids and what they are up too because that's their way of communicating.

• Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Deleted Facebook account today. It's annoying and I get pissed because the things people say and do there. :(
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,353
    really starting to think this POS is here to stay...
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,072
    LONG time member checking in. I rarely complain about anything here. I have to say I am not a fan of the new design. As a matter of fact, it has discouraged me from participating around here. I'm hoping these suggestions for change are taken into account. Rock on PJ!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,680
    edited February 2014
    Has anyone mentioned the fact that we can now delete our own posts from people's activity walls? That is excellent! Must have accidentally posted publicly half a dozen times now. It's nice to be able to get rid if the mistake! Haven't tried deleting someone else's post from my own wall... is that also possible now?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210

Deleted Facebook account today. It's annoying and I get pissed because the things people say and do there. :(

Hilarious, because that is what the people on FB say about this place and why most of them dont come here anymore.... :))
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    This is an alternative universe. :-O
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    facebook is bullshit
    that is 100% fact
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    SpartanacusSpartanacus Oviedo, FL Posts: 824
    Me no like the white.
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • Options
    BryanWebBryanWeb Posts: 262
    I haven't visited the forum in a few weeks but the new forum really hurts my eyes after a few minutes.
  • Options

Hilarious, because that is what the people on FB say about this place and why most of them dont come here anymore.... :))
    Really? I never at all got the impression that people were using FB because the people here were pissing them off with what they say and do. I thought it was because the mods were pissing them off and because the new forum design sucks so bad.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    edited February 2014
    PJ_Soul said:

Really? I never at all got the impression that people were using FB because the people here were pissing them off with what they say and do. I thought it was because the mods were pissing them off and because the new forum design sucks so bad.
    I have heard multiple people over there say how they hate the people here because of how rude they are and that the negativity keeps them away.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    still blows
  • Options
    I'm not getting email notifications anymore, and i didn't change my settings. Just me?
  • Options
    papa_pearls_jam.pj20papa_pearls_jam.pj20 Chicago USA Posts: 2,142
    bobasfeet said:

LONG time member checking in. I rarely complain about anything here. I have to say I am not a fan of the new design. As a matter of fact, it has discouraged me from participating around here. I'm hoping these suggestions for change are taken into account. Rock on PJ!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Posimists. Fuck the pessimists...fuck'em.
  • Options
    Gold 26Gold 26 Posts: 676
    Kept away for a month, still looks terrible then. For shame.
    All my favourite singers have stolen all of my best lines.
  • Options
    AmherstJammerAmherstJammer Amherst, Massachusetts Posts: 1,510
    This new forum is making my eyesight go to hell… If only there was a way here to change the background color and the font color and size...
  • Options

This new forum is making my eyesight go to hell… If only there was a way here to change the background color and the font color and size...

There is! http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228722/enough-of-this-malarky-forum-fix-for-firefox-chrome/p1

Works great.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,122
    For a certain many of you that are posting their hate here about the new change I'm very VERY shocked & confused as I see ya's posting on Facebook & Twitter non stop. Those social media pages have white backgrounds too. They have black & blue texts as well. It's the same thing! The text might be a little smaller here, but it's not that hard using your keyboard and simply clicking Ctrl + to make the text bigger or Ctrl - to make the text smaller. On the 19" PC monitor & 42" HDTV, by default settings, I don't see any problems. Maybe cause I use Facebook & Twitter all the time. Only change I would like to the new forum is maybe a bigger default text. But that's pretty much it.
  • Options
    PingfahPingfah Posts: 350
    I think the forum would be fine if they just made the font size bigger, and more clearly delineated between each post. Feature wise, it's OK, and having the forum list down the left works really well.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Pingfah, have you considered using the user script? It really makes the forum almost look like before. The font is readable, the background isn't as gleaming, the posts are not morphing into each other ... PJ_Soul posted the link above. Give it a try!
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    The forum is what it is, don't mind it. I'm rarely here anymore because it is blocked at my workplace now. No fair!
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.