Options

New forum discussion here!

Comments

• Options
    So, apparently "private messages" are called conversations and can be read by Kat and Sea...just saying.

But yeah, the amount of white...the human eye isn't meant to look at a bright light for a long period of time. Try looking straight at the sun or a flashlight...similar effect. It's why I prefer a "dark" or "night" theme on a lot of sites. I believe the guy at maddox.xmission.com said that's why his site is dark with white text.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,788
    edited February 2014
    I can't post from the mobile format anymore. I have to switch to the full site to be able to post. This used to be hit and miss but now very consistent. Anybody else?

Edit... Actually appears to happen only in AET. I posted this fine from mobile format.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,776

So, apparently "private messages" are called conversations and can be read by Kat and Sea...just saying.

Not sure where you're getting that. I thought I was helping you when I sent you the message that was posted to your PUBLIC Activity Wall. I was sure you'd want to have your Private Message private by using MESSAGE instead of ACTIVITY when you contact someone. Clicking on someone's name will show an open text box but it's the ACTIVITY text box. The MESSAGE option is at the upper right when you open that window.

Admin
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    This board is 100 times better than the last one. FYI, Facebook is on a white background. Not sure why people think Facebook is different, these boards are almost identical aside from having fake friends.
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    This thread still going 8->
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,122
    For anyone using Instagram, it's never been so easy to post an image on the new message board. For example .. http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/230089/eddie-onstage-with-bruce-in-melbourne :)
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Testing testing....is this thing on? I should check in here more often.
  • Options
    jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    I keep coming back here hoping this forum has changed for the better, but same eyesore still exists. Doesn't seem like anybody at 10c cares about this. Oh well.
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,095
    It is the combination of white background, tiny text, lengthy signatures, and minimalist dividers between posts that collectively make the new forum a headache to view and read. On the old forum you had white "blocks" for each post on a black background which made it oh so easy to distinguish one post from another. The white background was where it needed to be - behind the text of each post, and not all over the screen.

This board is 100 times better than the last one. FYI, Facebook is on a white background. Not sure why people think Facebook is different, these boards are almost identical aside from having fake friends.

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited February 2014
    Kat said:

Not sure where you're getting that. I thought I was helping you when I sent you the message that was posted to your PUBLIC Activity Wall. I was sure you'd want to have your Private Message private by using MESSAGE instead of ACTIVITY when you contact someone. Clicking on someone's name will show an open text box but it's the ACTIVITY text box. The MESSAGE option is at the upper right when you open that window.

Admin
    i gotta say whatever a activity wall is, it is mindboggling as to why they are used & how easily folks are misguided or not informed or whatever. i would imagine private messaging here have dropped 93% if not more. it is a fact that a lot of people do not trust the private message feature.

it is ok though; in a year or so this will all change again as it always does. this next time couldn't get any worse could it?
    next switch will have 17 activity walls each, yes/no? private messages will be in audio & video, yes/no
    please do not get them mixed up when sending multiple lovey dovey messages to the ladies

zing zang zoom
    fail
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,332
    I found the board pretty hard to read as well. Too much bright white and too much stuff on the screen (the subject line of threads was squished to only take up 1/3 to 1/4 of the line). Horrible layout.

Luckily there's that thread where a guy made some scripts to use with firefox/chrome to make the board usable. I like the classic one which makes the site more like the old one.

I thought the old board was much better. An off white instead of bright white. Everything was divided and easier to read. There wasn't all that extra info in columns on the left and right.... It was a basic message board layout, and those are the best kind.
  • Options
    This tag business,

Does anyone actually care about tags being displayed?

It takes up a lot of space and I personally think that quite a few members don't have a clue nor do they care what tags are, or what they are used for.

Tags seem to be in the same category of "The Wall" - not necessary and used only by a few.
  • Options
    i enjoy change and the discovery of new things but i find this more difficult to read, as well. the print is very tiny and using my + button doesn't really solve the problem. i think all the white is harsh....you can't compare this to Facebook because the set up is completely different.
    i also miss the ease with which i could see which discussions i had already read, had new posts, etc. i loved the color coding of the old system.
    all is as it will be, as it should be
  • Options
    loveatreeloveatree in my tree Posts: 142
    since you're asking for feedback about the new forum, I HATE IT! New board is very hard to read due to tiny font and confusing random layout and distracting backgroung. Please change it back! or at least please change the tiny font and light blue color, forum is extremely hard to read
    2006 LA/ SF/ Mountain View. 2009 LA/ SF. 2013 LA/ Oakland/ Seattle. 2014 Denver

• Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    dear 10c, why was it changed?
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,795
    It's a shame the new format sucks so much but it's only when I come across this thread again that I remember that is so. The reason for that is I downloaded the grease monkey fix. I'm very comfortable with how it looks and most everyone who is using it feels the same way. The format probably won't change any time soon so to enhance your experience here, I highly recommend grease monkey and using the script. If I can figure out how to do that, believe me, anybody can.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Hey Kat, is there any consideration of changing the font -- making it a bolder type??
    I really think this is a main problem...the actual font is naturally skinny looking. I sometimes see bolded posts and they look soooooooooooooo much nicer! :)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,680
    edited February 2014
    Wasn't this thread stickied before? Shouldn't it still be?
    Anyway, I have been experiencing problems with the forum. Anyone else? I know for sure that others are seeing the "OVER CAPACITY" page.... so I guess the new forum isn't actually doing what it was intended to do? What's going to happen when a show is announced or whenever traffic really swells, if we're getting this error when nothing is happening?
    I am also getting error popups periodically when I go to post something. It usually works after a few tries, but what's up with that (it just happened while trying to post this - it says "Error 503 Service Unavailable - Guru Meditation: XID: xxxxxxxxx (a number) - Varnish cache server")? Also, just in the last couple days, I am randomly being logged out spontaneously. It's happened at least a few times in the last half hour. I go to post, and I find that I have to sign in again.
    These are all relatively new issues - the sign in thing is brand new, but the over capacity thing and the error messages have been happening for a couple weeks I'd say.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    I came across the logging out issue as well. Hasn't happened before. For me, it started today. Weird. I never got the over capacity screen, but I heard of others. Not cool.
  • Options
    Yesterday at around 5pm it took me a few tries to log in because I too received the "Over capacity/server full, whatever you want to call it screen.

Not sure how the server can be maxed out for 5mins or so when the forum seemed to be relatively slow that night (in terms of people posting).

I posted earlier in this thread about having to log in twice to reach the forum. By trial and error I found out that once you are logged onto the site and you click on forum if you click on Participated it will log you into the forum.

• Options
    i NEED the "foe" status capability back!!
    all is as it will be, as it should be
  • Options
    Blueflare said:

i NEED the "foe" status capability back!!

That is an odd request
  • Options
    i find i don't come here as often, i guess because it's not as easy to read, etc. I should probably do the "grease monkey" thing. Just change it back.....please
  • Options
    HB244052 said:

i find i don't come here as often, i guess because it's not as easy to read, etc. I should probably do the "grease monkey" thing. Just change it back.....please

Agreed. I never posted as much as some, but I used to come here a few times a day just to read. It used to be quite entertaining here. Unfortunatly, I dont think the greasemonkey fix will bring back all the old friends who have jumped ship. I pretty much just come here to check on the doggie thread now. And this one... to read the bitching and hopefully find some changes... tho it looks like the only changes are now 503 capacity errors. RUFKM? Capacity is down compared to what it used to be. And the upgrade was supposed to increase capacity from the prior board? um... fail? Good luck come ticket time. Oh yah, its a lottery now so it doesn't much matter there I guess anyways.

8-|
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,788
    Yes I was getting the over capacity and logging out/in problems too. Also, I still can't post in AET from the mobile format. Any other forum I can but to post in AET I always have to switch to full site and then post.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,122

Yesterday at around 5pm it took me a few tries to log in because I too received the "Over capacity/server full, whatever you want to call it screen.

Not sure how the server can be maxed out for 5mins or so when the forum seemed to be relatively slow that night (in terms of people posting).

I posted earlier in this thread about having to log in twice to reach the forum. By trial and error I found out that once you are logged onto the site and you click on forum if you click on Participated it will log you into the forum.

This screen?

I get that too sometimes.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,680

I still have to log in twice. But that's not what was happening to me yesterday. I was repeatedly being logged out for not reason.... the problem seems to be gone today though, so that's something.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,795
    Damn! Just as I was getting settled in here again. The Legacy script is not working, I get logged out, I got that "Sorry we're overloaded" message. What the heck has happened to this place? Oooooooooooooh, I'm gritting my teeth so as not to spew some vial language! MMMMmmm,, nahhhh, errrrr, gghhhhhhhhhh!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    I've been having issues all night too...
    Got the overloaded page twice & keep getting logged out!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options

This is how I feel the new forum was presented.