Options

LA1 fan "ejected"

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,683
    eddiec wrote:
    I was at a Guns N Roses concert sometime around 1988. They were opening for Aerosmith. It was at one of those racetracks in upstate NY.

Anyway, I'm about 10 rows from the stage when this dude walks in front of me with this gigantic python or boa constrictor wrapped around his neck and arms. This snake was friggin' huge and scary. I backed away and let him pass as did every single person in front of me. Dude and snake were on the rail for GNR without an elbow, punch or even a dirty look. Now that's the way to do it.

True story.
    :lol: That is awesome. So much better than wrapping a 4 year old child around your shoulders to get up front. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    eddiec wrote:
    I was at a Guns N Roses concert sometime around 1988. They were opening for Aerosmith. It was at one of those racetracks in upstate NY.

Anyway, I'm about 10 rows from the stage when this dude walks in front of me with this gigantic python or boa constrictor wrapped around his neck and arms. This snake was friggin' huge and scary. I backed away and let him pass as did every single person in front of me. Dude and snake were on the rail for GNR without an elbow, punch or even a dirty look. Now that's the way to do it.

True story.
    :lol: That is awesome. So much better than wrapping a 4 year old child around your shoulders to get up front. :lol:

+!
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    kc007kc007 USA Posts: 282
    eddiec wrote:

True story.
    :shock:
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,152
    johnmc1976 wrote:
    Re: LA1 fan "ejected"

Postby JWPearl » 24 Nov 2013 04:26

Ed would love that i think :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... zB4o#t=249

doubt it................
    :x

Wow Ed likes scat films?! Awesome!
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    DewieCox wrote:
    CharlieP wrote:
    I think people were too hard on her in the fanviews thread.

I wasn´t at the show and I'm sure Ed had his reasons for doing this but
    people f... up sometimes, then lesson learned in most cases. At least they let her stay to watch the rest of the show.

Punishment enough in getting called out by Ed in front of a 17000, or whatever, strong crowd......ouch :oops:

I think that is an understatement.
    Anyone who calls someone a c*nt, wh*re and tells them to eat a d*ck for no reason (I bet they were not even near her) could easily behave the same way at a show...

Yeah, that was totally out of control. I hope the people that posted that crap are gone for good.

If what the offender did was so bad, why was she allowed to stay? A little pushing and people trying to improve their position is fully expected in ga. I wonder what part the ridiculous list had in this debacle.

How could the list have had any part in this debacle? Does anyone on the band's immediate team actually monitor what happens every day on the line and bother to tell the band about all of it? Maybe they do, but that seems so unlikely. At the end of the day, how is it likely that anything that happened before the show started outside the venue was visible enough and connected enough to this particular woman that Ed would get that mad and kick her out of the pit on the spot? That kind of intensity from someone who is faced almost every show with people pushing and being visible jerks - and unleashed on a woman no less - had to be because he saw some f'd up behavior that had to be stopped immediately. 23 yrs of shows and nothing like this happening before (i.e specific person kicked out of pit like that), how could you draw any other conclusion?
  • Options
    JH6056 wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

I think that is an understatement.
    Anyone who calls someone a c*nt, wh*re and tells them to eat a d*ck for no reason (I bet they were not even near her) could easily behave the same way at a show...

Yeah, that was totally out of control. I hope the people that posted that crap are gone for good.

If what the offender did was so bad, why was she allowed to stay? A little pushing and people trying to improve their position is fully expected in ga. I wonder what part the ridiculous list had in this debacle.

How could the list have had any part in this debacle? Does anyone on the band's immediate team actually monitor what happens every day on the line and bother to tell the band about all of it? Maybe they do, but that seems so unlikely. At the end of the day, how is it likely that anything that happened before the show started outside the venue was visible enough and connected enough to this particular woman that Ed would get that mad and kick her out of the pit on the spot? That kind of intensity from someone who is faced almost every show with people pushing and being visible jerks - and unleashed on a woman no less - had to be because he saw some f'd up behavior that had to be stopped immediately. 23 yrs of shows and nothing like this happening before (i.e specific person kicked out of pit like that), how could you draw any other conclusion?
    I agree. All this strange talk about the list somehow having anything at all to do with this sounds pretty nutzo.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    JH6056 wrote:

No the list itself.....Herd mentality can set in when a group of people that think they're deserving of the front spots are met with any resistance.

EV has exhibited that he's a pretty emotional and he's went way over the line on at least a few instances. The shoe and mosquito bite incidents are 2 examples. He's a rockstar, that's not above the occasional temper tantrum. Add in a bottle of wine and it would be pretty easy to go off the handle.

All it might take is a crowd of people pointing the finger at one person trying to push forward to set Ed off. I don't think it's likely that the lead singer of any band would be able to fairly judge the stuff that goes on in a ga section one way or another.

If what she did was as bad as some are saying, she would've been kicked out of the arena.

Sounds like the gal did some regrettable things, but she doesn't deserve the insults being hurled at her, especially from people that likely weren't affected at all.
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    the girl made a mistake, no one died. lets just move on.

how was the concert?

lets talk about that.
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    MayDay10 wrote:
    ckravitz wrote:
    LOL, the venom towards "children" is sort of funny... actually, nah, it's a little sad. People actually complaining that children are "tambourine targets" sounds pretty childish too btw. I mean are grown ups really bitching about that? To use an oft and overused phrase from these very forums ... "first world problems".

Anyway, I personally wouldn't bring a child in to a GA section of a concert, but that's a CHOICE I make. But I am curious to hear what age you all deem appropriate? So Pearl Jam and 13 would be no. What about Selena Gomez? Or are we going to arbitrarily categorize artists? Who gets to be the judge and jury? How are we going to prove a 16 year old is 16? What about festivals? Seriously, some of you kind of need to get over yourselves.

Flame away.

I dont care if they never, ever look at/acknowledge me, nor do I care if I get a tambourine, drumstick, etc. That isnt it, jealousy that someone has a better 'bargaining chip' than me.
    When you see a kid hoisted up in the pit, it is quite clear what the intention is of the father.

I dont care if there are kids at a show, but a GA pit is madness. The kid cant see anything except a bunch of asses in his/her face, its close quarters, likely to see drug use, and get separated. Of course you can hoist the kid up, but that is a dick move for the people behind you... which usually is me.

Im a father, and I am all about experiences with the kid, but no way until he is old enough, and even then it will certainly not be in the pit, fishing for Eddie and Mike's attention and schwag. I have seen kids in the seated areas and lawns which is fine IMO. They have had a good time and were able to get into the aisle so they can see. Also these kids are typically early teens at the youngest. Anyone younger seems to be a miserable time.

For the record, you and I are in complete agreement on the whole kids on shoulders thing. Like I said I personally wouldn't bring my kids into the pit in the first place, but in other threads it is quite obvious that some feel their precious pics are being given to kids and it bothers them and to me that is such a petty reason to take it out on all 13 year olds or whatever.

People putting children on their shoulders isn't about the kid being there, it's about the parent being a rude asshole.
  • Options
    fife wrote:

how was the concert?

lets talk about that.

we can't. the fanview setlist thread got locked! :lol:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    DewieCox wrote:
    JH6056 wrote:

No the list itself.....Herd mentality can set in when a group of people that think they're deserving of the front spots are met with any resistance.

EV has exhibited that he's a pretty emotional and he's went way over the line on at least a few instances. The shoe and mosquito bite incidents are 2 examples. He's a rockstar, that's not above the occasional temper tantrum. Add in a bottle of wine and it would be pretty easy to go off the handle.

All it might take is a crowd of people pointing the finger at one person trying to push forward to set Ed off. I don't think it's likely that the lead singer of any band would be able to fairly judge the stuff that goes on in a ga section one way or another.

If what she did was as bad as some are saying, she would've been kicked out of the arena.

Sounds like the gal did some regrettable things, but she doesn't deserve the insults being hurled at her, especially from people that likely weren't affected at all.
    Well I wouldn't call those who waited in line all day to be up front trying to stay up front "herd mentality". What should they be doing exactly? Just stepping aside for other people who are barging up there and squeezing in front of them? You can move up in GA if there is ROOM to move up in GA. You can slip past people here and there when a hole opens. Obviously these two people who got yelled at were shoving and pushing their way up at best, and that is not how it's done. If you have to bully your way up to the front, then there isn't room for you to move up, and people shouldn't be forcing themselves through and displacing folks who are already there unless those people have left you room to do so. I don't see what the list has to do with any of this. Those people at the rail were in a line all day and they're not about to just let someone shove and elbow them out of the way, and apparently neither is Eddie.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,413
    fife wrote:

how was the concert?

lets talk about that.

oh i just saw that..wtf..people start a fight there or something??
    this place is unreal sometimes
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    fife wrote:

how was the concert?

lets talk about that.

well lets break some rules and start posting her about the concert.
  • Options
    fife wrote:

how was the concert?

lets talk about that.

oh i just saw that..wtf..people start a fight there or something??
    this place is unreal sometimes
    People were getting too harsh towards the offending party.
  • Options
    fife wrote:
    fife wrote:

how was the concert?

lets talk about that.

well lets break some rules and start posting her about the concert.
    Wasn't there a relay thread for the show in GTF? You could just use that. :)
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    jrnyc wrote:
    Do what Springsteen does and make it random, this would allow people with jobs and normal people who don't want to wait in line all day to get a shot at the front.

:clap:
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    jrnyc wrote:
    Do what Springsteen does and make it random, this would allow people with jobs and normal people who don't want to wait in line all day to get a shot at the front.

:clap:
    I totally agree that PJ should adopt the Springsteen method, although that wouldn't prevent the kind of thing that happened at LA 1. There would still be people who barge their way up front. The line and list have NOTHING to do with what happened there. I do not understand why everyone is talking about it as though it somehow was a contributing factor to someone acting like an asshole while in the pit.
  • Options
    Zod wrote:
    Pits are different now too. You kind of go with the "When in Rome" approach. If its a pit a la Springsteen or U2 you stake out a spot and rock out. It's not a mosh pit, so thery'res no pushing or shoving. If you started to push/shove it would be very out of place.

If your at a crazy festival or some event with a big floor section and moshing is going around everywhere.. then yah... of course.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.. lol

if a parent wants to bring his/her kid to the concert, they should have the right to do so (good parenting/bad parenting is for another discussion). but they shouldn't have them on their shoulders on the floor. sucks for the kid but that's how it is. short adults have to put up with it and so should the kids. people would get pissed if it's a grown up on someone's shoulders blocking their view; kid don't get a special pass in this situation.

also, you are absolutely right, the when in rome approach is what you do with ga, but what annoys me is that when i was younger, there were moshing (not to mention crowd surfing) at pj concerts, and nowadays no one is rocking out. i guess the fans are now older and less energetic and afraid that they'll hurt themselves. i may be pushing 40 but still act like a 20 year old. i was in ga last night and was utterly disappointed at the lack of energy with the crowd. seems like there were only a handful of us around me that were rocking out, everyone else were more worried about getting their pictures/videos on their phone or texting or posting about how close they were to the stage.

they should have a stand around ga, and a high energy ga where you enter at your own risk. last i checked pj is a damn good hard rock band and rocking out to their music should be mandatory.
    bIGdAUB
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Well hopefully this will lead the band to get rid of GA and I can go back to getting prime floor seats.

;):lol:
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    Get_Right wrote:
    Well hopefully this will lead the band to get rid of GA and I can go back to getting prime floor seats.

no winks about it
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    JH6056 wrote:

Well I wouldn't call those who waited in line all day to be up front trying to stay up front "herd mentality". What should they be doing exactly? Just stepping aside for other people who are barging up there and squeezing in front of them? You can move up in GA if there is ROOM to move up in GA. You can slip past people here and there when a hole opens. Obviously these two people who got yelled at were shoving and pushing their way up at best, and that is not how it's done. If you have to bully your way up to the front, then there isn't room for you to move up, and people shouldn't be forcing themselves through and displacing folks who are already there unless those people have left you room to do so. I don't see what the list has to do with any of this. Those people at the rail were in a line all day and they're not about to just let someone shove and elbow them out of the way, and apparently neither is Eddie.

I'm saying that if one or two people were affected by the person trying to force their way forward, then it's possible that people that were standing near them during and/or before the show might jump in and start pointing fingers and making it seem much worse than it was.
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:

Hopefully not, and I seriously doubt it. That little incident is like fucking breaking news for us obsessed fans, but it probably wasn't even a blip on the radar as far as the band is concerned.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    DewieCox wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

I'm saying that if one or two people were affected by the person trying to force their way forward, then it's possible that people that were standing near them during and/or before the show might jump in and start pointing fingers and making it seem much worse than it was.
    I don't believe that Eddie would have done what he did if he didn't actually see whatever it was that pissed him off, pointing fingers or no pointing fingers.
  • Options
    did GA have wrist bands?
  • Options
    shortstack wrote:
    did GA have wrist bands?
    Yes.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    shortstack wrote:
    did GA have wrist bands?
    Yes.

did anyone notice if she had one on?
  • Options
    shortstack wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    shortstack wrote:
    did GA have wrist bands?
    Yes.

did anyone notice if she had one on?
    I don't think anyone questioned it. I think the security for making sure those with wristbands are the only ones in GA is pretty solid, so the assumption is that she had one.
  • Options
    guitar101guitar101 Sutton, ON Posts: 397
    I heard a rumor that she ran up to the front asking "sir can I sing Hunger Strike with you."
    2005-9-12 London, ON
    2006-5-09 Toronto
    2007-8-03 (ed w/ ben harper) chicago / 2007-8-05 chicago
    2008-8-12 (ed solo) toronto
    2009-10-08 (ed solo) Albany
    2011-9-11 Toronto / 2011-9-12 Toronto
    2013-7-16 London, ON / 2013-7-19 Chicago / 2013-10-12 Buffalo
    2016-5-11 Toronto, On / 2016-5-13 Toronto, On
  • Options
    guitar101 wrote:
    I heard a rumor that she ran up to the front asking "sir can I sing Hunger Strike with you."
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited November 2013
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I don't believe that Eddie would have done what he did if he didn't actually see whatever it was that pissed him off, pointing fingers or no pointing fingers.

Response to Dewey Cox, not PJ Soul (I agree with PJ Soul):

I'm still kind of amazed that you think even a bunch of people pointing fingers is enough to a) get his attention in the middle of a show, and b) set him off with fury like that and kick a woman out. I was at the mosquito bite show. While I will definitely say that the severity of Ed's reaction surprised me, at the end of the day you still had a woman up front flashing her tits. Tit flashing has happened at other PJ shows (I've seen it at 2, 90's shows), but when I saw it it was way back, some chicks on someone's shouders or whatever. But to be right in front doing it repeatedly? WTF? It was conspicuous and bizarre, and there was no questioning what happened.

I'm also amazed that you beieve it's possible that someone minding their own business and NOT acting like a total, violent tool would spontaneousl be noticed and pointed at by everyone in the pit around them, regardless of whatever BS they pulled before the show in the GA line. Think about it, anyone who even was in the line early is on the rail or in the 1st 2-3 rows at most. Everyone else got there later and just filled in as they got there. There is NO WAY POSSIBLE that *EVERYONE* on this woman's path from teh back of GA to the front just happened to also be people she offended outside so they were just "pointing" at her because they were annoyed. Girlfriend blazed a trail of pissed off people, Ed saw it happen or even more likely actually saw her elbowing her way to the front, and it set him off. What you're proposing as an alternative scenario really doesn't make any sense in so many ways.

We can discuss until the cows come home whether what this woman *actually did* warranted that reaction (and maybe it's exactly because she's a woman and it's GA that she wasn't kicked out completely), but the reaction was unmistakable: Ed knows what he saw, and it pissed him the hell off beyond any other pissed off that we've seen against one specific person at any show discussed here. He didn't kick Mosquito bite chick out of the front. Who else has gotten kicked out from the front over this kind of thing at a PJ show where Ed ordered it from the stage? I"ve heard of none.

All this speculation that somehow several people POINTING at someone would cause that reaction is just bizarre to me and goes against 23 yrs of shows and "Ed from the stage" behavior.
    Post edited by JH6056 on