Options

LA1 fan "ejected"

Comments

• Options
    cbh1011cbh1011 Minnesota Posts: 138
    Cosmo wrote:
    I was out at lunch today and this gal saw me wearing my tour shirt and we started talking. Turns out, she was on the floor and in the middle of all that crap.
    What she told me was there were two women... a young one and an older one. The older one was pushing people away to get the younger one to the railling. The young one was apparently going to pass out and needed to get out of the pit. When they got to the front so the security guards in the photographers pit could reach her and get her out... the 2 women backed up, out of the reach of the guards. The younger one said she was fine now and didn't need to get out. She was pretending to be in distress in order to get through the crowd.
    That is when people started getting pissed. The guards could not reach them to pull them over the fence because they had backed up, out of their reach. People were trying to shove them back to where they came from and the 2 put up a fight.
    That is why pearl jam security had to go around to ge them out.
    Again, this is one person's account and i don't know how much is fact.

Unfortunately, fact. :fp: :nono: :evil:
    They fully deserved Ed's venom and anger.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,224
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    :x If that's true, that is absolutely BRUTAL, especially considering what the woman said in her post explaining what happened, and I am glad that Eddie is savvy and experienced enough to have picked up on that bullshit. I can see why that would piss him off so much. No one likes a liar or someone who plays on people's sympathy and willingness to help people in distress! So so so so shady. What a couple of creeps (if that's true).
    Yeah... I'm a natural skeptic... especially when dealing with people's versions of something. But, the gal i was talking to seemed okay. She said she was about 5 or 6 people back, towards the middle.
    I told her that i had heard it was a guy and a drunk young girl... but, she said it was an older woman. Which I figure, is probably an ugly woman that looks like a man that witness with fleeting views would make that mistake. And I can understand people mistaking some pretending to be fainting with someone who is drunk.
    but, yeah... that is fucked up. and really a pretty fucking stupid plan. I mean, didn't either one of those two think about it and come to the conclusion, 'Nah.. that ain't gonna work'.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    If A6465 whatever edited her post to say:

I was in the wrong, I'm sorry. I got caught up in the moment and what I did was ridiculous and thoughtless. Lesson learned for next time.

This thread would be buried 4 pages back by now.

If that's the case, then all is forgiven from my view of being there. Humility and apology go a long way - and if she's owned up to the idea being a dumb one, we can all move on.

PS - To contradict earlier posts, to be clear this had nothing to do with kids on shoulders or bringing kids into the Pit. I didn't notice any issues with the 11 year old in front of me with her family or any kid in the Pit all night. In fact, I forgot a precious moment when Ed delivered a water bottle to the 11 year old girl.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,737
    cbh1011 wrote:

I was in the wrong, I'm sorry. I got caught up in the moment and what I did was ridiculous and thoughtless. Lesson learned for next time.

If that's the case, then all is forgiven from my view of being there. Humility and apology go a long way - and if she's owned up to the idea being a dumb one, we can all move on.

PS - To contradict earlier posts, to be clear this had nothing to do with kids on shoulders or bringing kids into the Pit. I didn't notice any issues with the 11 year old in front of me with her family or any kid in the Pit all night. In fact, I forgot a precious moment when Ed delivered a water bottle to the 11 year old girl.
    No, no. The chick didn't edit her post to say that. mookeywrench said IF she had said that, issue would be over. The woman straight up LIED in her "apology" post, it looks like. Threw a 12 year old into the story to garner sympathy. :nono:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    cbh1011 wrote:

No, no. The chick didn't edit her post to say that. mookeywrench said IF she had said that, issue would be over. The woman straight up LIED in her "apology" post, it looks like. Threw a 12 year old into the story to garner sympathy. :nono:

That's too bad. I think the good in all this -- we need a happy ending -- is the golden rule we see most of 10C agreeing to regarding PIT etiquette: Don't be an Ass. Choose to put in the time to wait and earn the up front area, or enjoy the show from your still very nice vantage point near the back of GA.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,450
    Don't expect to be prime if you can't do the time!
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    cbh1011 wrote:
    That's too bad. I think the good in all this -- we need a happy ending -- is the golden rule we see most of 10C agreeing to regarding PIT etiquette: Don't be an Ass. Choose to put in the time to wait and earn the up front area, or enjoy the show from your still very nice vantage point near the back of GA.

ha

haha

hahahahaha
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    shortstack wrote:
    cbh1011 wrote:

ha

haha

hahahahaha

Disagree? I couldn't spend the entire day waiting in line to be the first 40 or so on the rail, but for those that did, they earned their spot IMHO. Especially in San Diego last week, which had very non-San Diego like weather for the bulk of the day. I think those up front got there at 4am?
  • Options
    JH6056 wrote:
    JH6056 wrote:

That's quite a leap you just made from "Kids don't belong in GA" (which I mostly agree with) to ". they don't belong in the building at all, leave them home with a babysitter"! WTF?? I know a LOT of people here feel the same way you do, but that's simply NOT your call to make. Some of us have kids who like concerts, do well at them, and I have NEVER put my kids on my shoulders to see, because I don't bring them unless we either have seats or we're on a lawn on a blanket, probably mostly watching the screen. I have definitely allowed my kids to stand on the seats at times, but that just makes them as tall as most adults. They're not blocking anyone's view.

It's fine to object to the kids on teh shoulders... and of course everyone has the right to the opinion that no kids should be allowed at all. I just think that's a bulls**t point of view and have seen too many kids have too good a time (or at least seen enough kids not mind being there and parents who may otherwise not have been able to attend at all grateful that their kid is ok/excited about it, to have the nerve to DECREE that no one under ____ age can attend at all.

I really hope neither the band nor the venues listen to those of you calling for a blacnket "no kids allowed" policy.

And, just want to also point out that I've read many accounts on this tour of kids at teh BACK of GA, back up against the rails, not on their parents shoulders, who could see and were fine. The back of GA is not bad at all. I would NEVER bring my kid into the GA section, much less the front, but it seems like som ekids have bene fine and every show I've been to on this tour (5) the back of GA was totally chill. What is the problem with that as long as the kids' not on someone's shoulders?

And how old are you? If you're in your 40s, you'd know that fans didn't subject their kids to the concerts of the 90s. It's a mentality that's been thrown right out the window that an event as adult as a concert - with pushing, shoving, drunken, drugged out behavior with pot flowing freely through the crowd, fights brewing, beer spilling, boozing, and other behaviors are for ADULTS. Keep the kids HOME if you can't accept the adult behavior, and I stand by that remark!!! Rock concerts are not for kids!! I'm so sick of people desperately trying to be their kid's "friends" rather than being a good parent.

I am in my 40s, but I have had a different experience than you obviously with kids at shows over the years. You make a big mistake assuming that just because your experience has been NOT to see kids at shows over the years, that the rest of the US is exactly the same as wherever you've been going. I went to shows with my mom when I was a kid. There are others in some of the "other music" threads who talk about going to shows with their parents, and some are old enough to have seen bands you've never even heard of. And before I had my own kids, I was at shows with parents and their kids for decades.

So no, it is not true that no one brought their kids to shows until the 90s. Seriously, that you even think that kinda blows my mind.

As for today, and "parents trying to be friends with their kids", I can only wonder if you actually have kids yourself, and I'm going to guess a big NO to that. Because if you did have kids, I'd hope you would understand the difference between bringing them places and yet still making sure they're ok, making sure they behave, and otherwise all having a good time, between that and irresponsibly bringing them into a mosh pit , or without ear protection, or if the kid is obviously miserable, or heaven forbid actually letting them go somewhere with someone like the chick Ed kicked out of the show. Taking your kids to a show does NOT = "trying to be their friend instead of their parent".

If you're so concerned about the well-being of children in the world, I can only hope you actually put time and energy into programs for kids who are actually PROVEN to have inadequate parents, as in families with open child abuse and neglect cases. Or do you step up in your personal life when people you know or neighbors seem to be mistreating their kids? Maybe you can make sure you act responsibily in your own life on this topic and stop wasting energy on assuming that just because you don't agree or aren't used to people doing something, it means they're BAD PARENTS.

No kid I've ever seen or brought to a show has ever been hurt, thrown up on, or seen something horribly inappropriate. But then again, maybe I have much better taste in bands than you do, since it sounds like drunk pushy people are a given at the shows you go to? And by the way, I've gone to plenty of PJ shows with kids. PJ fans are aswesome (chick this thread is about as an obvious exception. But then again, I wouldn't have been in GA with my kid anyway.).

At the end of the day though, the good news is, you are fully entitled to your opinion... and I'm fully entitled to keep bringing my kids to shows that I know they'd enjoy. And I will keep bringing them.

If you want to keep talking about this, we should probably start a different thread, since no kids were actually involved in the fan ejection situation and so this thread is not about kids at concrts.

I must have hit a nerve with you. Good luck "being friends with your kids". And I sincerely mean that. :lol:

And for that matter, not only am I a parent, I know better than to expose ADULT behavior reserved for adults to my child. I leave them with a babysitter!!
  • Options
    rival. wrote:
    meh, the sooner everyone comes to terms with the fact that 85% of pearl jam fans are self-absorbed assholes, the easier it is to move on.

Ain't that the truth.
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:

I dont care if they never, ever look at/acknowledge me, nor do I care if I get a tambourine, drumstick, etc. That isnt it, jealousy that someone has a better 'bargaining chip' than me.
    When you see a kid hoisted up in the pit, it is quite clear what the intention is of the father.

Best post in the thread.
  • Options
    rival. wrote:
    meh, the sooner everyone comes to terms with the fact that 85% of pearl jam fans are self-absorbed assholes, the easier it is to move on.

Ain't that the truth.

Hasn't been my experience.

While I've certainly witnessed my share of SAA, the majority of people I meet in line, pre-parties, and waiting for the show have been remarkable, very friendly, and caring. I can think of multiple times this week in the GA line where people were sharing food, drink, etc and having a good time together. Just sayin'.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,458
    its really sad when a "gossip" or bitching or merch thread is in we have 15 pages in one day and when some thread about music goes 2-3 pages
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    It had nothing to do with the the little girl- there were probably 20 people or so between ejected woman and little girl. I was right there and I still have no idea what ejected did to get thrown out. It was weird.
    im glad about that cos i just couldnt imagine EV shouting at a father with a child on his back .it just wouldnt be right imo .he sure was mad tho by the looks of it :lol:
  • Options
    its really sad when a "gossip" or bitching or merch thread is in we have 15 pages in one day and when some thread about music goes 2-3 pages

I agree, this thread has totally gone off the rail. My head hurts with all this bitching about kids at shows. The humanity, a 40 something with kids wants to share the band they have been following for 20+ years. The majority of these kids love the music, know all the words and have literally been listening to PJ since they were in the womb.

;)

I have brought my kids, seen other kids and all had a blast. Leave the parenting to the parents, and maybe use some of this energy you are utilizing to back-seat parent and write to your senator about tougher gun control legislation (which is actually killing kids). Rant over...What was this thread about again????
  • Options

I agree, this thread has totally gone off the rail. My head hurts with all this bitching about kids at shows. The humanity, a 40 something with kids wants to share the band they have been following for 20+ years. The majority of these kids love the music, know all the words and have literally been listening to PJ since they were in the womb.

;)

I have brought my kids, seen other kids and all had a blast. Leave the parenting to the parents, and maybe use some of this energy you are utilizing to back-seat parent and write to your senator about tougher gun control legislation (which is actually killing kids). Rant over...What was this thread about again????

It isn't about the kids though. It's about an ADULT EVENT WITH ADULT THINGS HAPPENING.

Imagine if Ed actually stopped picking out the kids at shows and giving them a tambourine. How many parents would stop bringing them? Because it's really all about the adults and what they want.
  • Options
    rival. wrote:

Ain't that the truth.
    I must be one of the luckiest people of all time then, because of all the 10C members I've met and have come to know in many cases, 98% of them are pretty fucking awesome, and 2% suck.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    rival. wrote:

Ain't that the truth.
    I must be one of the luckiest people of all time then, because of all the 10C members I've met and have come to know in many cases, 98% of them are pretty fucking awesome, and 2% suck.
    me too!

:D
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668

;)

It isn't about the kids though. It's about an ADULT EVENT WITH ADULT THINGS HAPPENING.

Imagine if Ed actually stopped picking out the kids at shows and giving them a tambourine. How many parents would stop bringing them? Because it's really all about the adults and what they want.

Then maybe your beef is with Ed and Company? Look I don't agree with the bandying the kids around like decorations either, but wouldn't you agree that it's also similar dis-service to judge people you don't even know? With all due respect the rant of of "be parents and not friends" is as cliche as it is shallow.
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited November 2013
    ckravitz wrote:

;)

Then maybe your beef is with Ed and Company? Look I don't agree with the bandying the kids around like decorations either, but wouldn't you agree that it's also similar dis-service to judge people you don't even know? With all due respect the rant of of "be parents and not friends" is as cliche as it is shallow.

You clearly aren't a parent. I have a beef with people bringing little kids to adult events with binge drinking, puking, pot smoking, smoking, public urinating in the venue (I've seen it), swearing, pushing, shoving, idiocy human behavior at its worse. Frankly people are out of their fucking minds if they think that an environment like that is decent for kids.
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Then ignore said gossip thread. Pretty simple.
  • Options
    You clearly aren't a parent.

There's that judging of people you don't know again..... Besides for the 12 and 7 year old daughters in the other room? The 12 year old accompanied me to Brooklyn night 2. We sat in the uppers behind the stage and had a great time and without incident. In fact I went to five shows this tour and I saw pretty much no nonsense at any of them. We're not talking about a metal concert here, it's Pearl Jam.

For the record, this idiocy you keep speaking about is:

a. in my experience, a hell of a lot less common than you make it out to be
    b. as prevalent, if not worse, at a typical NFL game

And several pages back I made it clear I wouldn't bring my kid in to the GA section, but you're comments go quite a bit further than that.

Anyway,We'll just have to disagree because I understand we will not be convincing each other the other viewpoint.
  • Options
    ckravitz wrote:
    You clearly aren't a parent.

There's that judging of people you don't know again..... Besides for the 12 and 7 year old daughters in the other room? The 12 year old accompanied me to Brooklyn night 2. We sat in the uppers behind the stage and had a great time and without incident. In fact I went to five shows this tour and I saw pretty much no nonsense at any of them. We're not talking about a metal concert here, it's Pearl Jam.

For the record, this idiocy you keep speaking about is:

a. in my experience, a hell of a lot less common than you make it out to be
    b. as prevalent, if not worse, at a typical NFL game

And several pages back I made it clear I wouldn't bring my kid in to the GA section, but you're comments go quite a bit further than that.

Anyway,We'll just have to disagree because I understand we will not be convincing each other the other viewpoint.
    OK. It's a deal.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,224
    binge drinking, puking, pot smoking, smoking, public urinating on the dinner table, swearing, pushing, shoving, idiocy human behavior at its worse.
    Doesn't that basically describe the typical American Thanksgiving with the family?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    binge drinking, puking, pot smoking, smoking, public urinating on the dinner table, swearing, pushing, shoving, idiocy human behavior at its worse.
    Doesn't that basically describe the majority of Thanksgiving with the family?

No, Christmas. :lol:
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:

Me and my mom decided yesterday that our family Christmas dinners are getting really boring, so we are going to make a point of getting completely smashed this year. :lol: :P
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:

Haha, ok, this we definitely DO agree on! :lol:
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    Cosmo wrote:

...and Parole HomeComings
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options

You clearly aren't a parent. I have a beef with people bringing little kids to adult events with binge drinking, puking, pot smoking, smoking, public urinating in the venue (I've seen it), swearing, pushing, shoving, idiocy human behavior at its worse. Frankly people are out of their fucking minds if they think that an environment like that is decent for kids.

did your parents never take you to a sporting event of any kind? cause all that shit happens at those too. not to mention violence.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,197
    BMF2004 wrote:
    Springsteen's GA lottery system is plain awesome. I only do Bruce GA and have seen him numerous times with absolutely no complaints.

Yep. Same for U2.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR