Options

LA1 fan "ejected"

Comments

• Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,200
    I'm not taking sides here, but I was in the middle this giant mosh pit at The Gorge in 1993, got a black eye in front of Stone and Eddie dug the scene.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgsSc9LWHv0

Fast Forward to 7:18.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    its really sad when a "gossip" or bitching or merch thread is in we have 15 pages in one day and when some thread about music goes 2-3 pages

I agree, this thread has totally gone off the rail. My head hurts with all this bitching about kids at shows. The humanity, a 40 something with kids wants to share the band they have been following for 20+ years. The majority of these kids love the music, know all the words and have literally been listening to PJ since they were in the womb.

;)

I have brought my kids, seen other kids and all had a blast. Leave the parenting to the parents, and maybe use some of this energy you are utilizing to back-seat parent and write to your senator about tougher gun control legislation (which is actually killing kids). Rant over...What was this thread about again????

It isn't about the kids though. It's about an ADULT EVENT WITH ADULT THINGS HAPPENING.

Imagine if Ed actually stopped picking out the kids at shows and giving them a tambourine. How many parents would stop bringing them? Because it's really all about the adults and what they want.

Dude it's a CONCERT. It's a bunch of people in one place to see people play music live. It is NOT a strip club (at least, not the shows I see, don't know about you...), and it's NOT an open air drug market. All I've seen anyone do at shows (not just PJ) is drink, smoke cigs, and smoke weed, and the weed was few and far between. It's thousands or tens of thousands of people dancing, singing, standing, sitting, sometimes falling over or freaking out, but never to the point of it being a problem for me or anyone I'm with. And if people are under the influence of more than alcohol or weed, I've never seen insance behavior. Again, I don't know what shows you go to and what you are caught up in, but there is nothing even R rated about most of the shows I go to, much less X (ADULT EVENT WITH ADULT THINGS HAPPENING??? WTF?)

What the hell happens at the shows you go to that make them so damn X rated?
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413

You clearly aren't a parent. I have a beef with people bringing little kids to adult events with binge drinking, puking, pot smoking, smoking, public urinating in the venue (I've seen it), swearing, pushing, shoving, idiocy human behavior at its worse. Frankly people are out of their fucking minds if they think that an environment like that is decent for kids.

did your parents never take you to a sporting event of any kind? cause all that shit happens at those too. not to mention violence.

Some sporting events can get rowdy, sure, but you can't actually think they're comparable to a typical rock concert.

Nice to see an explanation to what really happened, but I seen no mention of elbows or fists flying at heads.
  • Options
    ckravitz wrote:
    It isn't about the kids though. It's about an ADULT EVENT WITH ADULT THINGS HAPPENING.

Imagine if Ed actually stopped picking out the kids at shows and giving them a tambourine. How many parents would stop bringing them? Because it's really all about the adults and what they want.

Then maybe your beef is with Ed and Company? Look I don't agree with the bandying the kids around like decorations either, but wouldn't you agree that it's also similar dis-service to judge people you don't even know? With all due respect the rant of of "be parents and not friends" is as cliche as it is shallow.

You clearly aren't a parent. I have a beef with people bringing little kids to adult events with binge drinking, puking, pot smoking, smoking, public urinating in the venue (I've seen it), swearing, pushing, shoving, idiocy human behavior at its worse. Frankly people are out of their fucking minds if they think that an environment like that is decent for kids.

I have a sincere, honest question for you: Any given PJ show has from 10,000 to 20,000+ people at it. Please, do tell, of the, say, 10,000 people at the shows you've seen, what % do you really think are peeing publicly, throwing up, or doing anything else blatantly excessive (snorting coke in their seats, having sex, beating up someone)? What % of the entire audience do you really think engages in those extreme behaviors at every.single.show.? Or even just at most shows? And, just to help inform this bizarre perception you have, what part of the country are you usually seeing shows in?
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

did your parents never take you to a sporting event of any kind? cause all that shit happens at those too. not to mention violence.

Some sporting events can get rowdy, sure, but you can't actually think they're comparable to a typical rock concert.

Nice to see an explanation to what really happened, but I seen no mention of elbows or fists flying at heads.

Nope, no flying fists, but the real explanation is actually much worse. It also explains how everyone would get really upset all at once, universally (i.e. everyone in the immediate vicinity of these 2 scammers), and that some serious pushing and shoving would ensue (which WAS mentioned). If Ed saw the Red Sea part and then everyone flip out and get mad at those 2, and those 2 pushing to stay where they scammed their way up to, it makes sense why it was visually clear up on stage that they were in the wrong and complete assholes. Ed is so watchful for people who may not be ok, the younger one may well have fooled even those on stage that she needed help. Then she gets up front, has a big grin, and refuses to leave?

Really, the actual explanation is just as bad as them fighing like their in some Extreme Fighting match to get up front. "She's going to faint and needs medical care! Oh, isn't it nice on the rail, I'm suddenly cured..." Glad they got chewed out royally, that crap almost never gets really called out and addressed.
  • Options
    JH6056 wrote:
    Nope, no flying fists, but the real explanation is actually much worse. It also explains how everyone would get really upset all at once, universally (i.e. everyone in the immediate vicinity of these 2 scammers), and that some serious pushing and shoving would ensue (which WAS mentioned). If Ed saw the Red Sea part and then everyone flip out and get mad at those 2, and those 2 pushing to stay where they scammed their way up to, it makes sense why it was visually clear up on stage that they were in the wrong and complete assholes. Ed is so watchful for people who may not be ok, the younger one may well have fooled even those on stage that she needed help. Then she gets up front, has a big grin, and refuses to leave?

Really, the actual explanation is just as bad as them fighing like their in some Extreme Fighting match to get up front. "She's going to faint and needs medical care! Oh, isn't it nice on the rail, I'm suddenly cured..." Glad they got chewed out royally, that crap almost never gets really called out and addressed.

I agree. What happened to the "Our buddies are up this way." method. Pretty despicable to jump right feigning sickness.

I may have just been speculation in this or another thread, but I know people mentioned punches and elbows as fact.
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    DewieCox wrote:

I don't know man, go ahead and YouTube "xxx fight" where xxx is most pro sports teams and you will get a huge number of examples. There is zero doubt in my mind that the parking lot of an NFL home team that just lost is a far greater danger than a Pearl Jam concert. Seriously, search for 49ers fan behavior and see what you get. Before moving back to the East Coast we were at a Giants-Dodgers baseball game in San Francisco and there were fights breaking out all over the damn place. My sister in law was a few months pregnant so we actually left! Never seen anything like that at a concert to be honest.
  • Options
    And one other bit of hilarity to add (cause I hate the Eagles)... the Eagles, when they played at the Vet actually had a judge ON DUTY in the stadium so idiots could be processed and tried right on the premises. That's how common the fighting/drunkeness was!
  • Options
    ckravitz wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

I don't know man, go ahead and YouTube "xxx fight" where xxx is most pro sports teams and you will get a huge number of examples. There is zero doubt in my mind that the parking lot of an NFL home team that just lost is a far greater danger than a Pearl Jam concert. Seriously, search for 49ers fan behavior and see what you get. Before moving back to the East Coast we were at a Giants-Dodgers baseball game in San Francisco and there were fights breaking out all over the damn place. My sister in law was a few months pregnant so we actually left! Never seen anything like that at a concert to be honest.

That is so true. The odds of witnessing truly rotten belligerent behavior or actually having to move out of the way to avoid people fightng are MUCH higher at the average sporting event than at a regular rock concert. Again, there may be some bands out there that have a higher % of douchebag fans than others, but PJ isn't one of them). But I've been to more than 1,000 shows over the years, all over the US, in Europe, in Canada. 98% of the people at shows were fine. Sure, there are a LOT of annoying people, although different things annoy different people. But "Adult behaivor only" people or truly violent or sexual or cursing like a sailor non-stop? What bands have fans like that as the majority?
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,620
    anyone who brings a little kid to an NFL game (not including premium seats clubs/suites) should have their head examined.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

people have been murdered at soccer matches in Europe. people have died at football games in Canada and the US. My Dad took me to several Bomber games as a kid. EVERY time there were douchebags around us yelling profanity laced tirades at the players and the refs, I had entire beers spilled on me, fights broke out, and the list goes on.

I'd probably feel easier or just as easy bringing my kid to a PJ show as a sporting event.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    ckravitz wrote:

You can do a similar search about lead singers calling out dumbasses and get endless results too. I think the type of people that video tape these fights are basically the same type of people that start and take part in them.

I've been to tons of baseballs games and never witnessed drug use or anything close to a fight. People are definitely drinking , but I've never seen anyone so drunk they puke all over the place. I know football games are different , as are big rivalry games, but I think, generally speaking, sporting events are much more family friendly and they usually have a lot of stuff going on that's geared towards kids.

The close quarters worries me as much as anything at shows.

I try to avoid fights and belligerent drunkards, and I've never had a problem at a baseball game, but I'm pretty sure at every show I've been, I've encountered the kinda of people I try to avoid.

I don't mean to sound like a prude. I don't mind people trying to enhance their good time with drink or smoke. Hell, I used to smoke weed at most shows and my buddies all drink, but we would be selective about smoking and none of us ever puked all over the isle or got so drunk/stone we were being assholes.
  • Options
    ckravitz wrote:
    And one other bit of hilarity to add (cause I hate the Eagles)... the Eagles, when they played at the Vet actually had a judge ON DUTY in the stadium so idiots could be processed and tried right on the premises. That's how common the fighting/drunkeness was!

THAT....... TAKES THE CAKE!!!!! A judge on damn duty in the stadium. Unbelievable!!
  • Options
    Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,762
    Well we know who she is on here and the band saw first hand her actions. Can't the 10c revoke her ticket privileges? I know it can be done for season ticket holders for sports and whatnot. It can also be done if someone tries to flip their 10c tickets for profit. This should qualify as a revoking infraction I would think.
  • Options
    ckravitz wrote:
    This is why we can't have nice things. :lol:

Well, assuming the tix weren't flipped, it's a fan club member. Think the person is brave enough to post their side? I'd love to hear the justification for behaving poorly enough that Eddie stops the show. :corn:

Go to the 8th post down on this page.
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=225549&start=75

It's supposedly the person and notice she just joined 10 club yesterday based on the date. So it likely was a flip of a ticket. Clearly doesn't understand being part of the 10 club if this is - in fact - her. :nono: The thread was closed as well.
  • Options
    PJGirl321 wrote:
    ckravitz wrote:

Well, assuming the tix weren't flipped, it's a fan club member. Think the person is brave enough to post their side? I'd love to hear the justification for behaving poorly enough that Eddie stops the show. :corn:

It's supposedly the person and notice she just joined 10 club yesterday based on the date. So it likely was a flip of a ticket. Clearly doesn't understand being part of the 10 club if this is - in fact - her. :nono: The thread was closed as well.

That's jaut the date they joined the board.
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    This is why I don't like GA...too many entitlement minded jerks shoving their way to the front, it's happened in every GA pit I've ever been in...I'm really glad Ed called her out, that kind of behavior is just ridiculous.

(Bring back all seated venues!)
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    Certainly understand the mixed feelings about all the issues presented here...

Would just like to say thank you then to those around me in San Diego this past week. I was between Jeff and Eddie about two rows back and was around some really nice people. We all had a great time and had no problems (one guy rammed forward at one point but a 2 second issue is nothing).
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    PJGirl321 wrote:
    ckravitz wrote:

That's jaut the date they joined the board.

I didn't realize that….
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    anyone who brings a little kid to an NFL game (not including premium seats clubs/suites) should have their head examined.

100% agreed. There's just no way. Shit, I don't like wearing my jersey to away games because of the nonsense that goes on.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

I don't mean to sound like a prude. I don't mind people trying to enhance their good time with drink or smoke. Hell, I used to smoke weed at most shows and my buddies all drink, but we would be selective about smoking and none of us ever puked all over the isle or got so drunk/stone we were being assholes.

Not "prude" at all IMO. It completely baffles my mind why people spend hundreds of dollars, if not much more when all is said and done, to go to either a sporting event or a concert with the intention of getting obliterated or getting in to a fight. I mean surely this can be done with less risk and less $ at a dive bar!!
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,458
    Cosmo wrote:
    binge drinking, puking, pot smoking, smoking, public urinating on the dinner table, swearing, pushing, shoving, idiocy human behavior at its worse.
    Doesn't that basically describe the typical American Thanksgiving with the family?
    :lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Here's one reference to the Philly in-stadium court at the old Vet. Pretty funny and sad at the same time.

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/11/24/us/fans-who-d-rather-not-be-in-philadelphia.html
  • Options
    JH6056 wrote:

I agree, this thread has totally gone off the rail. My head hurts with all this bitching about kids at shows. The humanity, a 40 something with kids wants to share the band they have been following for 20+ years. The majority of these kids love the music, know all the words and have literally been listening to PJ since they were in the womb.

;)

I have brought my kids, seen other kids and all had a blast. Leave the parenting to the parents, and maybe use some of this energy you are utilizing to back-seat parent and write to your senator about tougher gun control legislation (which is actually killing kids). Rant over...What was this thread about again????

Dude it's a CONCERT. It's a bunch of people in one place to see people play music live. It is NOT a strip club (at least, not the shows I see, don't know about you...), and it's NOT an open air drug market. All I've seen anyone do at shows (not just PJ) is drink, smoke cigs, and smoke weed, and the weed was few and far between. It's thousands or tens of thousands of people dancing, singing, standing, sitting, sometimes falling over or freaking out, but never to the point of it being a problem for me or anyone I'm with. And if people are under the influence of more than alcohol or weed, I've never seen insance behavior. Again, I don't know what shows you go to and what you are caught up in, but there is nothing even R rated about most of the shows I go to, much less X (ADULT EVENT WITH ADULT THINGS HAPPENING??? WTF?)

What the hell happens at the shows you go to that make them so damn X rated?

It's not the place for children, it's an event for adults!! Why can't people understand that there is a difference and that we need to think of the kid's well-being before ours, when considering bringing them into that environment!
  • Options
    ckravitz wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

100% agreed. There's just no way. Shit, I don't like wearing my jersey to away games because of the nonsense that goes on.

No urge for me at all. Maybe to a place like Jacksonville, San Diego, or Arizona, because I hear those fans are much more laid back/passive. Maybe Green Bay as well because I think they "get it"...

I was a kid/teenager during the Bills' Super Bowl runs. I never went to a game until I was like 15. Even then I only had gone to 2 games before my college years. I understood as a kid, it was not a place for me...
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,847
    MayDay10 wrote:
    No urge for me at all. Maybe to a place like Jacksonville, San Diego, or Arizona, because I hear those fans are much more laid back/passive. Maybe Green Bay as well because I think they "get it"...

Kind of similar things between concerts and pro sports- some you can bring kids, some you can't.
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    It's not the place for children, it's an event for adults!! Why can't people understand that there is a difference and that we need to think of the kid's well-being before ours, when considering bringing them into that environment!

This is true, I don't understand the difference. I think its a lovely thing when a responsible-acting parent brings their consenting child or children to a Pearl Jam concert, so you really need to specifically spell out this difference.

P.S. To the contrary, I believe this forum is in a thousand ways a place for adults only, yet the moderators encourage all ages.
  • Options
    It's not the place for children, it's an event for adults!! Why can't people understand that there is a difference and that we need to think of the kid's well-being before ours, when considering bringing them into that environment![/quote]

First of all, every time I have taken one of my sons to a show (which has been 3X), it has 100% been about them (their show, not mine). What I choose to expose my children to is my business (I appreciate your opinion though). For example, I would not bring my sons to a Patriots game (horrible behavior IMO) until they are in high school. I have been to 26 shows and have not seen any behavior that would preclude me from bringing my kids to a show.

BTW - Have you seen any PG13 movies lately??? I just watched The Internship this weekend. Could not believe that 10 minutes of the movie was in a strip club with lap dances, binge drinking, etc. Way worse than anything I have ever seen at a PJ show...
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    let me make an important distinction in the thread that won't die

CHILDREN IN SEATS VS CHILDREN IN GA PIT
  • Options
    JC29856 wrote:
    let me make an important distinction in the thread that won't die

CHILDREN IN SEATS VS CHILDREN IN GA PIT

I agree. I feel like both sides are being framed to the extremes (much like US politics).

Parents who want to fight to get up front, only to put infants on shoulders to get tambos vs Child haters who want everyone under 18 banished from being within 100 feet of the arena.