A HUGE ISSUE.

Only for you it seems.

Have a nice day.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

A HUGE ISSUE.

Only for you it seems.

Have a nice day.

So you see nothing wrong with infants in GA. Nice.
  • Options

A HUGE ISSUE.

Only for you it seems.

Have a nice day.

I do see something wrong with that.

But I also see something wrong with a determined resolve to convince people that concerts should be exclusive to adults as if they were a seedy, topless Vegas show. Eddie and the band seem to like having kids there. Some parents seem to like having kids there.

Never once have you stated how kids being at the show has directly affected your experience. As such, it's really none of your concern so stop making it your concern. Fight another battle like kids being hungry or kids being abused.

Kids are not the enemy and neither are parents that love them.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,614
    edited November 2013
    double post
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,953

A HUGE ISSUE.

Only for you it seems.

Have a nice day.

A kid is not the same as an infant. Find me one person here who says a two-month-old in the rowdy portion of a rock concert's general admission section is okay. Seems to me you're trying to find the sensationalist things to say which get people riled up, while simultaneously you show that in your world, things are black and white, and you will never be persuaded otherwise about what you believe, regardless of any quantity of sound logic.
    It is a parent's responsibility (NOT YOURS) to gauge whether their child is ready for any event in life - rock concerts included. If they whore their children out to get a reaction from the band - that's not cool - but surely this is an issue with parents, and not their children?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Given2Fly-FishGiven2Fly-Fish Posts: 811
    edited November 2013
    Removed
    Post edited by Given2Fly-Fish on
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    And remember... only those who have never performed 'cock moves' should be telling people not to perform 'cock moves'. I am assuming you have never been a dick at any point in your life. You should feel very proud of the fact that you have managed to never irritate anyone while tending to your personal needs or desires as you have made your life alongside everyone else's!

Too Late - See DURP's responses in the Gleason thread...[/quote]

I freely admit I am Dick. I don't pretend to be something else like most of you do.
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    DURP wrote:
    And remember... only those who have never performed 'cock moves' should be telling people not to perform 'cock moves'. I am assuming you have never been a dick at any point in your life. You should feel very proud of the fact that you have managed to never irritate anyone while tending to your personal needs or desires as you have made your life alongside everyone else's!

Too Late - See DURP's responses in the Gleason thread...

I freely admit I am Dick. I don't pretend to be something else like most of you do.[/quote]

So then stfu and enjoy fellow dicks like yourself!
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,245
    Don't forget to include guys who place their really sexy girlfriends on their shoulders as well- this occurrence happens with much greater frequency than the kid on the shoulders and clearly this is a demonstration of superiority!

Don't forget the signs and the flags that people hold up as well- they are likely the most frequent visual disturbances that occur to attract attention.

Don't forget people's cell phones that are held up for the entire length of songs so that the recorder can place on youtube and draw attention to themselves.

all of these you list are douche moves too.

while I don't mind necessarily parents taking their kids to a show (although I think the GA Pit is a bad idea) I do think a good portion do it for selfish reasons. I hate when I see parents treating their kids as an accessory and it happens a lot more frequently these days then it ever did in the past.

it's a never ending argument though because you are never going to convince the other side they are wrong...until something bad happens.
  • Options
    23 pages on this..wow

anyways, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often...a LOT of people act like shit down front at PJ....If you've been down there you know it's true...but, in all fairness, it is usually people pushing up front from the back who act like meatheads...at least that has been my personal experience
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • Options
    Also,

KIDS+PIT= REALLY, REALLY BAD IDEA...ALWAYS!!!
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,245
    Also,

only time I've been a pit-like situation at a PJ show was at the Borgata and no way any kid should be in the middle of that. only time I've ever had a little fear at a show. Night 1 when Porch started and the crowd surged forward, for a brief few seconds I thought if I fall I'm gonna die. no way any child could have handled that.
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427

Only for you it seems.

Have a nice day.

I do see something wrong with that.

But I also see something wrong with a determined resolve to convince people that concerts should be exclusive to adults as if they were a seedy, topless Vegas show. Eddie and the band seem to like having kids there. Some parents seem to like having kids there.

Never once have you stated how kids being at the show has directly affected your experience. As such, it's really none of your concern so stop making it your concern. Fight another battle like kids being hungry or kids being abused.

Kids are not the enemy and neither are parents that love them.

Thank you thank you THANK YOU!!! This backseatlover12 person has still never made a case for how the average PJ show or rock show in general is like Sodom & Gammorha (sp?) and soooo toxic for kids. And as you say, NO ONE is saying it's ok to have a baby in the pit.

I said the same thing you did, if you're so fired up about protecting kids and bad parenting, put your energy into feeding hungry kids or helping abused kids. Your insane raging about this issue without EVER making a case for why it's so absolutely "ADULTS ONLY" is just getting funny at this stage! You're like a wind up toy, getting more tightly wound by the minute but can't change your spin to make your point.

Good luck with your campaign! Who will you be banning once you pursue legislation forbidding kids at concerts? :corn:
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    DURP wrote:

Too Late - See DURP's responses in the Gleason thread...

I freely admit I am Dick. I don't pretend to be something else like most of you do.

So then stfu and enjoy fellow dicks like yourself![/quote]

Like I told someone else you don't like my attitude one I don't care I will never meet you nor do I have a desire to meet you. Two use the ignore feature it's not that hard. Sorry I don't feel the need to kiss everyone's ass here.
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

You clearly aren't a parent. I have a beef with people bringing little kids to adult events with binge drinking, puking, pot smoking, smoking, public urinating in the venue (I've seen it), swearing, pushing, shoving, idiocy human behavior at its worse. Frankly people are out of their fucking minds if they think that an environment like that is decent for kids.

did your parents never take you to a sporting event of any kind? cause all that shit happens at those too. not to mention violence.

Some sporting events can get rowdy, sure, but you can't actually think they're comparable to a typical rock concert.

Nice to see an explanation to what really happened, but I seen no mention of elbows or fists flying at heads.

Just reading the thread and yes it happens everywhere but I have yet to see any kind of craziness happen at a pearl jam show. Drunk check, pot check, cigs check seen it all. Never have I seen anything that made me think we are a bunch of savages. To say a rock concert (especially Pearl Jam) is worse than a sporting event is crazy. This isn't Motley Crue on the Girls, Girls, Girls tour. Every year you hear about a fan at a Dodgers vs Giants game getting beat up for rooting for the other team.

There was a reason why there was a jail and a judge at Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia.

http://www.sportspickle.com/2010/05/9-terrible-philly-fan-incidents-and-their-harmless-explanations

Lightning can strike at any place at any time but to say it is common place is crazy. Let's leave the Lightening Bolt to the music.

Also, I go to a sporting event to see the players do the things they are paid to do. I go to a concert to hear the music and see and watch if I can Mike, Jeff, Stone play the guitar/bass. I am not there to mosh and run into people. To me sure that may show you have energy but it doesn't show you are hearing / seeing a band. You could accomplish the same thing in your back yard with friends listening to a CD. Let alone because I don't do that it doesn't show that I am not into the band or the show at hand. I want to enjoy the music. To each their own. Different strokes for different folks.

We all come from different places and have different stories but the one thing we all have in common is that we enjoy this band and want them to continue to put on amazing shows. We respect them and we should respect each other. Just my thoughts.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    Also,

only time I've been a pit-like situation at a PJ show was at the Borgata and no way any kid should be in the middle of that. only time I've ever had a little fear at a show. Night 1 when Porch started and the crowd surged forward, for a brief few seconds I thought if I fall I'm gonna die. no way any child could have handled that.

I agree that kids in the front of the pit, without a burly guy who's able to block a surge at least long enough to get the kids out of the front, is a bad idea.

But you guys keep generalizing in ways that are crazy. No kids ever in GA? Really? As a short person I was dreading having seats in the reserved part of the pit, because I knew that unless I was in teh front I wouldn't be able to see shit. The back of the GA is actually a GREAT place for short people to watch from, and NO, not on their parents shoulders. There is plenty of space, it's easy to leave quickly if you need to, and there is a nice natural gap between you and the back of the crowded part, which is why you can see. I would never forbid kids in the GA altogether.

Likewise, people like backseatlover12 are saying no kids in the venue, at all, perioud, end of story for rock shows. That is also absured, especially when the people saying that can't justify what is so uniformly awful and harmful to kids at the average PJ show.

So most people seem to agree that kids at the front of the pit is iffy at best, a horrible idea at the other extreme. But banning them from entering the GA at all or from being in the building at all... ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Like I told someone else you don't like my attitude one I don't care I will never meet you nor do I have a desire to meet you. Two use the ignore feature it's not that hard. Sorry I don't feel the need to kiss everyone's ass here

Stone?

Stone?

Is that you?????

:lol: :corn:
  • Options

Bitter? I have said before how some events are adult events and are SACRED. For me, when I get lost in the music at a PJ show, I am NOT there for my kid. And you are, uh-huh. Show me one die-hard fan who loses themselves in the name of the live show, yet brings their kids for a good time, and ignores them because they "enjoy the show", and I'll show you someone who cares more about themselves. Show them a good time, another poster said? Yeah, for my daughter that would be a trip to Six Flags. At 10, she has mentioned NEVER want to go to a show. Sound check at Farm Aid was too loud for her. Kids with earphones on? Do they really want to be there? And now I hear about an infant at GA last night. Boy, we've entered a whole new territory now.

A HUGE ISSUE.
    Don't bunch anything into a bucket. You'll miss the good stuff. My 10, about to be 11 year old, will be going to his 6th and 7th shows. His choice. That kid will not be in GA, ever, or on my shoulders, but will be rocking out harder than you or pretty much anyone in my section. Has memorized all the lyrics from LB, including My Father's Son which makes me crack up. He is learning bass because he think Jeff is a bad ass...
    Not all kids are going to be like that (sounds like yours is not which is cool) but many parents want to expose thier kids to things they love. And I applaud them for doing it. If they don't like it, don't force them but some love it and would do it again. My kids and I have turned it into a travel weekend, where we see all parts of the US and Canada (so far)... So there's that too... It does not mean anything if you bring your kids or not, but the band is older now... so it's happening more and more. Get used to it.

Oh and my kids know that they are at a rock concert and that people smoke and drink and other stuff... Part of the experience as is the language.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,840
    Kids in GA in 1998= No chance

Kids in GA in Europe= No Chance

Kids in 10c members GA in 2013= It's been done with no problems so far.

And I think calling it a pit on this tour is a bit of a stretch. A pit derives from moshpit, no?
  • Options
    AafkeAafke Posts: 1,219
    eddiec wrote:
    Kids in GA in 1998= No chance

Kids in GA in Europe= No Chance

Kids in 10c members GA in 2013= It's been done with no problems so far.

And I think calling it a pit on this tour is a bit of a stretch. A pit derives from moshpit, no?

Why not in Europe?

My son has gone to rock concerts and festivals, up from the age of 6 years old in Europe. Not in the pit or on shoulders, and he loves it! Rocking like hell. He loves PJ. So I will bring him to the next show in my country, again not on my shoulders, and we will have fun.
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    "The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed".- Carl Jung.
    "Art does not reproduce what we see; rather, it makes us see."- Paul Klee
  • Options
    JH6056 wrote:

Do you think Eddie's a moron? He obviously wanted to meet the young person and good on him. Why be so bitter for the treatment of- from all accounts- a neat little 11 year old? Why not feel happy for the young person? Do you assume the worst of everyone? Are you that envious of a child getting 'special' treatment?

Later you address the point some guy made about 'wanting to bring their 11 year old to a show' (given the kindness displayed by Eddie towards children at the show). Isn't that better than some parent who couldn't be bothered to try and show their kid a fantastic time... or some parent who bails on their responsibility?

Don't hold your breath for backseatLover12 to actually tell you why he's so vehemently bitter about this issue, but whatever his issue, he's made it clear he thinks having a kid at a show at all is bad parenting. He can't explain WHY PJ shows or other rock shows like it are so horribly inappropriate for kids, but he's adamant that kids don't belong. Definitely a sore spot for him.

Bitter? I have said before how some events are adult events and are SACRED. For me, when I get lost in the music at a PJ show, I am NOT there for my kid. And you are, uh-huh. Show me one die-hard fan who loses themselves in the name of the live show, yet brings their kids for a good time, and ignores them because they "enjoy the show", and I'll show you someone who cares more about themselves. Show them a good time, another poster said? Yeah, for my daughter that would be a trip to Six Flags. At 10, she has mentioned NEVER want to go to a show. Sound check at Farm Aid was too loud for her. Kids with earphones on? Do they really want to be there? And now I hear about an infant at GA last night. Boy, we've entered a whole new territory now.
    n
    A HUGE ISSUE.

WOW. So now you are going to dictate what it means to "enjoy the show" and "get lost in the music"? Because YOU can't enjoy yourself or lose yourself with a chid nearby, it is incomprehensible to you that the way some of us enjoy a show, that we could do that with our kids there? Or even more, that for some of us whose kids are fans, that the show could be ENHANCED by watching our kids enjoy something that is important to us? You are a piece of work dude!

You don't have to like it, don't have to do it, can talk about it as rotten all you like. But to talk about it in asbolutes as if there's no other way or no one else can have a different experience... You should realize that how people enjoy music is probably one of the MOST broad-ranging things out there.

Not every music fan enjoys live music in the same way. Some things that enhance a show for one person, detract from a show for another. That goes for what happens onstage as much as what happens in the audience around a person. Some people get so "in the zone" they are oblivious to everyone else around. Others enjoy soaking up the energy of the crowd around and just like to hang back and groove.

There are all types.

Your preferences are just that: YOUR preferences. You are insanely nuts to think you speak for everyone.

You think a rock show is "sacred"? That is fine, that is your opinion. I also think they an be very magical, intense, transcendant experiences. And I understand that for you that would be hampered by a kid next to you. My experience is hampered by people with terrible voices who sing the lyrics at the top of their lungs next to me. But guess what? I'm not trying to ban people who can't sing, or require some sort of vocal ability test as a requirement for buying tickets. I also have never asked anyone to stop singing, even if for me it's like nails on a chalkboard which is really a bummer when I'm trying to be "in the zone". Being a grown up means knowing that it's a public event, there may be a lot of things that I personally don't like, but I'm not going to get upset about it. I'm just going to appreciate a room of people all inspired by the same band I love and focus on that.

But you've been saying more than that the show is "sacred" for you, you've been saying it's "adult only with adult activitites that are totally inappropriate for kids". That's the part you've never been able to prove, and you never will be able to because as someone else just said, PJ shows are NOT Motley Crue on the Girls Girls Girls tour. Not even remotely close.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    Don't forget to include guys who place their really sexy girlfriends on their shoulders as well- this occurrence happens with much greater frequency than the kid on the shoulders and clearly this is a demonstration of superiority!

Don't forget the signs and the flags that people hold up as well- they are likely the most frequent visual disturbances that occur to attract attention.

Don't forget people's cell phones that are held up for the entire length of songs so that the recorder can place on youtube and draw attention to themselves.

while I don't mind necessarily parents taking their kids to a show (although I think the GA Pit is a bad idea) I do think a good portion do it for selfish reasons. I hate when I see parents treating their kids as an accessory and it happens a lot more frequently these days then it ever did in the past.

it's a never ending argument though because you are never going to convince the other side they are wrong...until something bad happens.

Nice post. And you're right, until something bad happens, neither side will think otherwise.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

Nice post. And you're right, until something bad happens, neither side will think otherwise.

Something bad can happen anywhere...
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    "The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed".- Carl Jung.
  • Options
    I do agree with your point, that neither sides will change their opinion, and that is OK with me. But I think both sides can be heard.
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg