3 year-old's First Show Tonight

Comments

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    the only question i have is this....
    the wife,that stayed home,is she hot?

:clap:
  • Options
    Glad I didnt listen to most here. My son went and had a great time! In fact, it was incredibly positive, from entering the venue, using bathroom & concessions, & most of all enjoying the show at our seats. I was very impressed with how receptive everyone was & interacted with my son. Glad most here don't represent most Pearl Jan fans.
  • Options
    snipes824snipes824 Posts: 870
    Glad I didnt listen to most here. My son went and had a great time! In fact, it was incredibly positive, from entering the venue, using bathroom & concessions, & most of all enjoying the show at our seats. I was very impressed with how receptive everyone was & interacted with my son. Glad most here don't represent most Pearl Jan fans.
    Chances this is a complete lie? 70%.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,203
    in the youtube, facebook, instragram era we are in now, treating your child as an accessory has become the norm. it's sad and pathetic. people that take young kids to concerts and basically places they do want to be should have their own reality shows. they'rer no better than the kardashians. that's just my opinion.
  • Options
    most here don't represent most Pearl Jan[sp]fans
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    snipes824 wrote:

Exactly, I would go higher.

Not like anyone would actually say anything to his face. I honestly wouldn't for fear of getting in any type of verbal confrontation in front of his innocent kid.

However, here...the guy is just wrong, pjhawks also pretty much hit it on the head. Only a matter of time till we see people in GA launching there kids in the air to get the bands attention.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    Relish wrote:
    I believe the OP was just trying to rock the boat. Nobody would take a 3 year old to a PJ show. Let me rephrase: No intelligent, loving parent would take a 3 year old to a PJ show. Anyone who says different is trolling.
    I have a 7 year old and there is no way in hell they are going with me to Whale's Vagina next month.
    No clear thinking adult would do it, but obviously there are plenty whose priorities are all screwed up. In Missoula I saw a woman with two kids - one was perhaps 4 years old and the other was about two MONTHS old, in a carrier strapped to her chest. Fucking Mudhoney, the loudest badon the face of the planet, opened. The newborn had these giant earphone muff things that didn't even come close to fitting over its ears properly. That woman walked around looking like she thought it was completely reasonable to have brought those kids. She was just in la-la land, just like anyone else who is taking infants and toddlers to rock concerts. There were also a couple ofayne 8 year olds, and even they seemed bored in an hour, and utterly wiped out by the time the show ended. Of course. They should have been in bed 3 or 4 hours earlier.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    38792546_babyFinger_xlarge.jpeg

I think I want to go home now!
  • Options
    I'm a TruckI'm a Truck Milwaukee Posts: 3,508

What you ment was glad I didn't listen to everybody except the two people that said it was ok. :fp: And if I would have seen you I probably would have said something.
  • Options
    axellaire8axellaire8 Belgium Posts: 234
    ;)

1996: Paris/2006: Paris/2007: Werchter/2010: Werchter/2012: Amsterdam 1 and Werchter/2014: Amsterdam 1&2 and Werchter/2018: Amsterdam 1&2 and Werchter/2022: Werchter and Amsterdam 2

EV: 2012: Amsterdam/2017: Antwerpen/2019: Bruxelles

• Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,153
    Gee the more I read this thread (up to page 5) the worse it gets.
    Sometimes I am embarrassed to be a fan of this band because of how crazy and extreme some fans are.
    Taking a child who will be freaked out by the loud music and will be crying because it is past bedtime and he/she is surrounded by adrenaline/alcohol fueled people is ridiculous.
    And then this guy with the avatar of his child in a PJ t-shirt just tops it off, his avatar is very cringe-worthy.
    I would never dress my child in PJ merch, when he/she is old enough and if they like the band then they can feel free to wear merch. It is like you are some religious fundamentalists enforcing your love on another.
    Some of you fans are a bit crazy and too extreme.
    I hope anyone taking a chilk to the show gets refused entry to the venue.
    It is a form of child abuse, considering the damage of loud music on ears.

First off if pearl jam had an issue with children being at the shows they would have an age limit at the show, second of all if a parent brings achild to a show without ear protection then sure they are assholes. Also you say its cringe worthy that this guy has hid child in a pearl jam shirt. Dude I think you got more problems then someone bringing a child to a show

I'll keep this short: You're projecting yourself onto your children. They will grow up resenting that.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    He has seen Dylan and the Black Keys and had a blast! Worried he won't make the length of a Pearl Jam show. I've got ear protection....Any other advice from parents?

Leave him home with a babysitter!!!
  • Options
    Only a complete idiot would bring a 3 year old to a rock concert. Are you going to expect everyone to stay calm, not get rowdy, not swear, and not drink too much around your 3 year old. If your kid gets bumped into are you going to blame the person or will you just admit that your a fucking idiot.

This!!
  • Options
    -decodified--decodified- mobile device Posts: 2,686
    :nono: :nono: :nono:

do NOT do it... you and your 3yrs old will NOT enjoy the night, I have a toddler the same age and will not expose her to that, its not a place for little ones, but is your kid, so good luck!!!
    Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - Jul 15, 2006
    Outside Lands Festival - Aug 28, 2009
    Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009
    Viejas Arena - Oct 09, 2009
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 23, 2010
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 24, 2010
    Oracle Arena Nov 26, 2013
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 26, 2014
    Parque Simon Bolivar - Bogota, Colombia - Nov 25, 2015 - MY HOMETOWN!!!
    Madison Square Garden - May 01, 2016
    Madison Square Garden - May 02, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 22, 2016 - MY B-DAY!!!

dL7POFOTD9H0c.gif
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438

do NOT do it... you and your 3yrs old will NOT enjoy the night, I have a toddler the same age and will not expose her to that, its not a place for little ones, but is your kid, so good luck!!!

Well they actually already went last night and it sounds like everyone survived.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    snipes824 wrote:

I wonder what the child would actually say.

I'm not sure why, but it seems to be a trend for parents to not have 'date night' and leave the kids home. Some events are sacred for adults, I know that PJ shows are! And I know that my kid is a lot safer at home than me dragging her around to shows. I wonder if there is no one to babysit, or that some people want to look like the 'cool parent', when in reality, 'cool parents' aren't very good at parenting at all. Because being a 'friend' of your child is not parenting at all.
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:

Well they actually already went last night and it sounds like everyone survived.

"Surviving" still doesn't make it right.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    Pearl Jam ain't The Grateful Dead.
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:

"Surviving" still doesn't make it right.

Are you sure? Last night's 100% survival rate has me re-thinking my stance.

Clearly, based on this new information, a Pearl Jam concert ISN'T unsafe for a three-year-old. All's well that ends well guys!! (I mean, it's not like anyone died or anything!)
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,254
    I'm not sure why, but it seems to be a trend for parents to not have 'date night' and leave the kids home. Some events are sacred for adults, I know that PJ shows are! And I know that my kid is a lot safer at home than me dragging her around to shows. I wonder if there is no one to babysit, or that some people want to look like the 'cool parent', when in reality, 'cool parents' aren't very good at parenting at all. Because being a 'friend' of your child is not parenting at all.

Well....

While I think taking a three-year-old -- any three-year-old -- to a PJ show is bad idea, I don't quite agree with what you wrote here.

We took our boys with us to Mansfield 2 2008, all four Spectrum shows, and Newark 2010. They were nine and almost-twelve at the first show. We had seen PJ in Camden, left the boys home with a sitter, and decided it was easier and cheaper to take them with us to Mansfield. Our sitter was very sweet but, no kidding, one time she was watching the boys and our house was struck by lightning, and she did not even realize what had happened. The kids were safer with us than they were at home being watched by a teenager.

I've discussed our thought process behind taking them with us before. We never would have taken our older child to a PJ show at nine -- he just was not ready. Our younger child is more mature and is a musician, so it was the right time. And we all wore ear protection (myself included). We explained that it would be very loud, people would be smoking all kinds of things and using colorful language, and it was all good.

We all had a great time and the boys got to see first-hand that getting shitfaced or using drugs makes you really stupid -- a message they have internalized, I am happy to say. The dude at Philly 1 who kept saying "Everything's covered with moss!" and needed the help of his buddies to leave the Spectrum made a lasting impression. I'd rather have an open dialogue with my kids about drinking and drugs than to just say "those are taboo." No, I am not permissive, not at all, I just believe in educating them so they can make good decisions.

This time, younger son said he'd rather not go and the older one said he'd like us to have that time to ourselves, so our teenagers are staying home.

As for taking little kids, I'm really against it. I think small children easily can be overwhelmed in such situations, and the impressions they get can be confusing. It's not even on the same scale, but my parents often took me along to the movies with them when I was little. I saw "Tommy" when it came out -- I was six years old, and that movie gave me nightmares. I was taken along to see "The Deer Hunter" in, I think, fourth grade -- front-row seats, at that. I should not have been there -- it was not educational, it was overwhelming and confusing.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    Each to their own but I wouldn't be taking my 3 year old. Too loud, too crowded, too full of drunks, too many risks. Plus I really can't see her enjoying it and it's not fair to make her endure it just because I want to be there.
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options

We took our boys with us to Mansfield 2 2008, all four Spectrum shows, and Newark 2010. They were nine and almost-twelve at the first show. We had seen PJ in Camden, left the boys home with a sitter, and decided it was easier and cheaper to take them with us to Mansfield. Our sitter was very sweet but, no kidding, one time she was watching the boys and our house was struck by lightning, and she did not even realize what had happened. The kids were safer with us than they were at home being watched by a teenager.

And how often does your home get hit with lightning. :fp:

Otherwise, I can't argue with the rest of what your wrote. However, I still believe that jam-packed shows are not the place for a kid under 13. ANY kid. I lose myself in the music, I let it take me away. I would be completely irresponsible if I permitted myself to lose myself in the music, a purely sacred experience for me, if I had to also watch my young child because it was *me* who thought they would enjoy it. I do believe that this thinking is purely narcissistic.
  • Options
    Loulou wrote:
    Each to their own but I wouldn't be taking my 3 year old. Too loud, too crowded, too full of drunks, too many risks. Plus I really can't see her enjoying it and it's not fair to make her endure it just because I want to be there.

Exactly. Not too many people think about what the child wants, only what they want. A 3 year old is not saying that they want to go to a show.
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    Aaaaaaanyway,

I accidentally watched Lady Gaga's performance on the MTV Music Awards and she is undoubtedly the SEXIEST WOMAN ON EARTH.

HOLY.

FUCK.

Can't believe I just wrote that but there ya go. Also, a three year old at a show is just fucking stupid.
  • Options
    oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    october22 wrote:
    Aaaaaaanyway,

I accidentally watched Lady Gaga's performance on the MTV Music Awards and she is undoubtedly the SEXIEST WOMAN ON EARTH.

HOLY.

FUCK.

Can't believe I just wrote that but there ya go. Also, a three year old at a show is just fucking stupid.

That escalated quickly.

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    october22 wrote:
    Aaaaaaanyway,

HOLY.

FUCK.

accidentally :roll: :lol::lol:
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,254

And how often does your home get hit with lightning. :fp:

Otherwise, I can't argue with the rest of what your wrote. However, I still believe that jam-packed shows are not the place for a kid under 13. ANY kid. I lose myself in the music, I let it take me away. I would be completely irresponsible if I permitted myself to lose myself in the music, a purely sacred experience for me, if I had to also watch my young child because it was *me* who thought they would enjoy it. I do believe that this thinking is purely narcissistic.

I'm hoping just once :shock: -- point being that the sitter was not all that well-equipped to deal with unexpected situations.

I hear what you're saying. We had no expectation that those around us would modify their behavior; some guys asked if it would be a problem if they lit up, and we said no -- we knew that was to be expected. We also did not expect anyone else to watch our kids -- we don't drink at shows. And we did ask the boys if they wanted to go; they knew and enjoyed the music, and yelling and pounding on the seats during "Betterman" at Mansfield is one of our best family memories. :)

I'm also looking forward to going without them this tour, so my husband and I can have some time together. :)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    DP13DP13 Posts: 269
    Pretty sure a third grader passed me a spliff on the floor in Pitt....

These parents need an ass whooping.
  • Options
    DP13 wrote:
    Pretty sure a third grader passed me a spliff on the floor in Pitt....

These parents need an ass whooping.

Hey, if a third grader is mature enough to share his weed, he's probably mature enough for a Pearl Jam show.
  • Options
    um, teenager or not. is ANYONE really equipped to deal with their home being struck by lightning?
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...