Options

3 year-old's First Show Tonight

Comments

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    ****the year 2026*****

dad: remember when u were 3 and I took u to a pj show?

current 3 yr old, now 16: huh?

dad: ill write the question down for you. (writes the question on a piece of paper)

current 3 yr old, now 16: no
  • Options
    bicyclejoe wrote:
    Jack Straw wrote:
    "Jack Straw, Really??? Shame on you for implicitly telling the OP its ok to bring a 3 year old to a Rock concert. Some people just need that one person to say its ok, not saying the OP needs it, but there are alot of people who do foolish things because they get validation from somewhere. Its on you now. God forbid anything happens to that child, it will be on your recommendation and on your conscience. As a pearl jam community a common sense approach must be had. Pearl Jam shows are not for 3 year olds.

P.S. Like your screen name, Ol' "Jack Straw from Witchita, cut his buddy down" . . . also one of the leaders of the Peasant Revolt circa 1381.

PPS Hope the Red Sox kick Detroit's ass!

Seriously? You're insane. If you read his thread, he didn't ask if he should bring the kid, he's already bringing the kid. I don't know his kid, and would never tell him he should or shouldn't bring him. In fact, I told him to be prepared to move if a situation arises. So no, I won't feel the least bit responsible if something happens. I'm only responsible for my kids, and they had a great experience at their show.

PS- Fuck the Red Sox

Sorry, Jack Straw, but it's very questionable parenting, not to mention utterly self-centered behavior.
    As I said above, you might as well bring your dog. Considering research into megacognitive knowledge and retention of adolescents, your dog will get more out of a rock concert than your 3-year-old or 4-year-old -- 6 is pushing it.

Like I said, I didn't tell him to bring his kid. Admittedly, it was a little long for my 4 year old, and I would have never brought him on his own, but I couldn't bring one and not the other. They did have an overall great experience though, and I'm glad they went. And every kid is different, a certain 5 year old may be better equipped for a show than certain 8 year olds. It just depends.
    East Lansing 98, Detroit 98, Tampa 00, Detroit 00, Buffalo 03, State College 03, Detroit I 03, Detroit II 03, Toronto 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids, 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Grand Rapids 06, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, Cincinnati 06, Lollapalooza 07, West Palm Beach 08, Tampa 08, To be continued...
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,153
    edited October 2013
    ****the year 2026*****

dad: remember when u were 3 and I took u to a pj show?

current 3 yr old, now 16: huh?

dad: ill write the question down for you. (writes the question on a piece of paper)

current 3 yr old, now 16: no

Exactly. :lol:

Bottom line, don't be in such a rush as a parent; these opportunities will be there when they're old enough (and you won't look like the worst parent in the world).
    Post edited by bicyclejoe on
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    TT8270TT8270 Posts: 429
    tbell_1 wrote:
    kramer73 wrote:
    As a parent, I wouldn't, but that's your call.

+1
    +1
    134xxx
    Soundgarden - 1996-10-15
    Pearl Jam - 2000-06-30
    Fugazi - 2000-10-10
    The Mars Volta - 2003-03-24
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    bicyclejoe wrote:
    Sorry, Jack Straw, but it's very questionable parenting, not to mention utterly self-centered behavior.
    As I said above, you might as well bring your dog. Considering research into megacognitive knowledge and retention of adolescents, your dog will get more out of a rock concert than your 3-year-old or 4-year-old -- 6 is pushing it.

Can't help but agree with this quote. . . .taking a kid to a PJ show is very self centered. Kids that age want to go see the Fresh Beat Band, not Pearl Jam (never mind the blatant fact that it would be more age appropriate). . . . . who is getting the most satisfaction out of taking a 3 or 4 year old to this show? I understand the desire to be the cool parent, but that shouldn't trump a child's safety or well being.
  • Options
    bicyclejoe wrote:

Can't help but agree with this quote. . . .taking a kid to a PJ show is very self centered. Kids that age want to go see the Fresh Beat Band, not Pearl Jam (never mind the blatant fact that it would be more age appropriate). . . . . who is getting the most satisfaction out of taking a 3 or 4 year old to this show? I understand the desire to be the cool parent, but that shouldn't trump a child's safety or well being.

Umm. No. My kids are way into music and have been exposed to it from the beginning. They love Pearl Jam, not the Fresh Beat Band. I didn't even ask my kids if they wanted to go. The 6 year old asked to go for his birthday, so while many of the other points are valid, that one is not.
    East Lansing 98, Detroit 98, Tampa 00, Detroit 00, Buffalo 03, State College 03, Detroit I 03, Detroit II 03, Toronto 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids, 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Grand Rapids 06, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, Cincinnati 06, Lollapalooza 07, West Palm Beach 08, Tampa 08, To be continued...
  • Options
    aspoonfulweighsatonaspoonfulweighsaton Posts: 1,985
    edited October 2013
    As someone who took my 2 1/2 year old to see U2 4 years ago, I have mixed feelings on this.

The primary reasons I did it were:
    1. It was outside in a huge football stadium so volume wasn't going to be a real issue.
    2. My wife and I are huge music fans so we wanted our first "family" concert to be someone of historical merit that neither of us had seen before.

Now having said that, an indoor show is a whole different ballgame and I wouldn't have done that at 2 1/2.

I can tell the majority of you blasting this guy aren't parents though because you sound like you're the ones inconvenienced by a kid being at a concert rather than the kid. It's really not a horrible thing if you are prepared and plan it out right.

Hell, how many times have Ed's daughters been sidestage with those big ass ear muffs? Get over yourselves.

True, he won't remember it but neither will the idiot drug users and alcoholics so that's not a valid point. :lol:

Here's a pic of my son getting into it from that show:

9124_1258681825531_1285085_n.jpg
    Post edited by aspoonfulweighsaton on
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    my kids likes the wiggles.
  • Options
    I'd equate a Pearl Jam concert to an R-rated movie. It's an adult experience. I think there's an age when the child has shown a certain maturity and proven they can go with an adult. My daughter has been wanting to go to a Pearl Jam show for years, but this is the first time I'm taking her, when she's going on 15.
    I just can't get my head around the parenting decision or the perceived benefits of taking a child under 12.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    As someone who took my 2 1/2 year old to see U2 4 years ago, I have mixed feelings on this.

1. It was outside in a huge football stadium so volume wasn't going to be a real issue.
    2. My wife and I are huge music fans so we wanted our first "family" concert to be someone of historical merit that neither of us had seen before.

Now having said that, an indoor show is a whole different ballgame and I wouldn't have done that at 2 1/2.

I can tell the majority of you blasting this guy aren't parents though because you sound like you're the ones inconvenienced by a kid being at a concert rather than the kid. It's really not a horrible thing if you are prepared and plan it out right.

Hell, how many times have Ed's daughters been sidestage with those big ass ear muffs? Get over yourselves.

This guy gets it. It's about being smart and prepared to react if the kid is having a bad time. I suspect that no decent human would ever put their kids in harms way.
  • Options

Side stage, not neccessarily in direct exposure to the speakers. im also sure they didnt have 100s of drunken, pot smoking fans surrounding them screaming. im also sure they prolly had a nanny that would take them into a quiet room backstage to tuck them gently into their pack and plays.

im sorry but this is just idiotic
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options

U2 was my daughter's first concert. She was nearly 13. She loved it for many reasons that I'm not sure a 2 1/2-year-old can grasp. At the same time, U2, while a great live rock band, draw a more family-friendly, international crowd. You're also right about the outdoor aspect and superior sound engineering U2 (sounded just right with 75,000 people at CenturyLink Field in Seattle). It's more tame. There are fewer meat heads who have had too much to drink or smoke. Things get a bit wilder at PJ shows.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    And then the kid goes to daycare the next day and won't stop saying "fuck". :fp: Do you take your kids to bars too?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    And then the kid goes to daycare the next day and won't stop saying "fuck". :fp: Do you take your kids to bars too?

No, but I do take them to MLB, NHL, and NFL games, where there are just as many drunk idiots cursing. Should I not take them there either? Maybe I better just lock them in a closet until they're 18.
  • Options
    bicyclejoe wrote:

U2 was my daughter's first concert. She was nearly 13. She loved it for many reasons that I'm not sure a 2 1/2-year-old can grasp. At the same time, U2, while a great live rock band, draw a more family-friendly, international crowd. It's more tame. There are fewer meat heads who have had too much to drink or smoke. Things get a bit wilder at PJ shows.

Like I said, the setting and band had everything to do with it. I would have never subjected my child to what goes on at an indoor Pearl Jam show but since I have taken my child to a show at a very early age I can't bash him but so much.
  • Options
    Jack Straw wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

No, but I do take them to MLB, NHL, and NFL games, where there are just as many drunk idiots cursing. Should I not take them there either? Maybe I better just lock them in a closet until they're 18.

This is true. Pro sporting events can be way worse than most concerts. Especially NFL games.
  • Options
    Leofish2Leofish2 Posts: 138
    Bring your pet rock or in honesty support your local babysitter .......saw a new born at Wrigley and wanted to call CPS
  • Options
    This is a terrible idea. I have a 4 1/2 yr old daughter, and I wouldn't even take her to an EV show, and she loves him.

Don't do it. It will be a disaster. His? ears will be destroyed, even with ear plugs. Concentration level just isn't there and you'll spend much too much time focusing on him and keeping him in line than anything else.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    This is a terrible idea. I have a 4 1/2 yr old daughter, and I wouldn't even take her to an EV show, and she loves him.

Don't do it. It will be a disaster. His? ears will be destroyed, even with ear plugs. Concentration level just isn't there and you'll spend much too much time focusing on him and keeping him in line than anything else.

With all due respect, you're making a ridiculous generalization that all kids act the same way at certain ages. This couldn't be further from the truth. Obviously you didn't think your daughter could handle it and for that you did the right thing. But many others can and that's okay depending on a variety of things already discussed.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    Jack Straw wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

No one gets on a stage and screams fuck into a microphone and then says fuck ten times while he's addressing the crowd at a baseball game. I have been to many sporting events and I have been to many rock concerts, and they aren't comparable in any way. Sporting events are largely tailored to be family friendly for crying out loud. A couple of fat guys swearing at the ump does not make it the same as a rock concert. Anyway, yeah, obviously do what you want... but the fact that 95% of people find this inappropriate should tell you something.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I'm a TruckI'm a Truck Milwaukee Posts: 3,508
    This could go on forever. You can never convince people how to raise their kids. I'm sure I could dig up some horrific event to prove this is not a good idea but I don't even wanna think like that. Whatever, just let these people be "those" parents. I'll continue to be a good one. Until I bring my 4 day old to Portland or Spokane. Or wait, is that too young. I just want his first concert to be special.

And I've seen the Fresh Beat Band twice and they're awesome live. That guy needs to take his kids to see them and let them be kids. Not what he wants them to be.
  • Options
    kc007kc007 USA Posts: 282
    Someone should call the Department of Social Services. Forcing a child potential hearing damage or loss is child abuse.

Op you are a cruel parent to even risk your child's safety and health. Not to mention, other fans do not want your child sitting near them. Ffs be considerate of your child and everyone else attending.
  • Options
    aspoonfulweighsatonaspoonfulweighsaton Posts: 1,985
    edited October 2013
    This could go on forever. You can never convince people how to raise their kids. I'm sure I could dig up some horrific event to prove this is not a good idea but I don't even wanna think like that. Whatever, just let these people be "those" parents. I'll continue to be a good one. Until I bring my 4 day old to Portland or Spokane. Or wait, is that too young. I just want his first concert to be special.

And I've seen the Fresh Beat Band twice and they're awesome live. That guy needs to take his kids to see them and let them be kids. Not what he wants them to be.

:lol:

You were doing okay until spewing this nonsense. You're not a better parent just because you choose to keep them away from rock concerts. This isn't a simple yes or no situation and any parent should understand that. Just agree to disagree.
  • Options

With all due respect, you're making a ridiculous generalization that all kids act the same way at certain ages. This couldn't be further from the truth. Obviously you didn't think your daughter could handle it and for that you did the right thing. But many others can and that's okay depending on a variety of things already discussed.

Another dumb point. All 3 year olds are the same. Just because you think your kid is the best behaved kid ever doesn't make it true. And I'm fairly certain there are plenty of people that think different. If that's the case I'm pretty sure my kids are the best looking kids in the history of the world. Who are you to tell me they're not. Oh wait.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495

You were doing okay until spewing this nonsense. You're not a better parent just because you choose to keep them away from rock concerts. This isn't a simple yes or no situation and any parent should understand that. Just agree to disagree.

I think he's a better parent by keeping his kids away from rock concerts.
  • Options
    I would be completely annoyed if I had to sit around a small 3 year old. Its bad enough having to worry about the drunks, now we have to worry about someone's 3yr old.

Op needs a reality check.
  • Options
    I'm going to the show tonight. I hope I see you with a 3 year old, so I can take your picture and post it on Facebook with the caption "parent of the year." It will also be used as evidence when I call CPS. Some people obviously shouldn't be allowed to procreate. Enjoy the show!!!!
  • Options

Ok then, No.
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    My kids are pain in the asses...they don't get my extra ticket
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    I'm going to the show tonight. I hope I see you with a 3 year old, so I can take your picture and post it on Facebook with the caption "parent of the year." It will also be used as evidence when I call CPS. Some people obviously shouldn't be allowed to procreate. Enjoy the show!!!!
    Great idea. Someone really should call the dept of social services child abuse dept.