Options

Dear Ed, There is a such thing as a Responsible Gun Owner...

Comments

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I want to thank those of you who recognize that it's acceptable to have a difference of opinion from Ed yet still be a fan of the band, and I feel even Ed would even appreciate me speaking up for my differing beliefs.

I realize I posted this after being upset by Ed's interview rant, and it invoked a response....in my case a negative one. Out of respect to the other fans and the band there will be no bird flipping in Philly, and I also retract the statement which i implied non gun owners don't want to protect their kids. But I stand by the rest of my statement.

For those of you who tried to paint a negative/angry image of me, you'd be surprised at how wrong you are.

Carry on.

But you're still missing the mark entirely: you completely misinterpreted his whole point.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,860
    Wow his statement was completely missed by so many people. Sure, it was poorly worded, but the point is that guns kill innocent people on accident every day and nothing is being done about it, NOTHING. He didn't even mention the mass shootings that happen EVERY DAY, the news doesn't even make them a story anymore because they're so common.

There are responsible guns owners, many of them, there are also tons or irresponsible ones that think they're toys. It's also way too easy to get them.

Personal - I don't know about you but when I see someone carrying a handgun in Target I get the hell outta there, I don't trust you or your decision making, period. Cops have training, degrees, and they don't even make the right decision all the time.

Saw a facebook post that someone was completely removing PJ from their life, covering tattoo's etc, because of this statement. Absolutely ridiculous, why throw away good music. Made me think of the typical Republican overreaction. (Example a law passed we don't like, let's shut down the government and screw over millions of people because we didn't get our way, wahhh).
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    I mean, he did say "almost."
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,226
    edited October 2013
    There's a big misconception in Canada that guns are illegal. They really aren't. It's just there alot of BS involved in getting permits, licensing and what not.

The "red tape" makes is so the average joe doesn't bother getting a gun which means a lot of people don't have easy access to guns. If your a hunter and need a rifle or even if you want a handgun you can actually get one (unless maybe you have a criminal record or are certifiable).

I always thought it was a good way to do it. It's such a PIA to get one that it does keep a lot of guns out of peoples hands, but if people really want one, they can pretty much get one.

I always believed in the saying that Guns don't kill people, people kill people, but I also believe that guns make it way to easy.

I also find it crazy in the US how postal they went after 9/11 with terrorism, yet the leading killer of Americans in America is other Americans.

I also seem to read the 2nd amendment differently then a lot of people. It says something like:

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

It always seemed to me that was geared towards the whole idea of US dependance. IE the constitution was designed so that a monarchy (or dictatorship) style government couldn't occur in the US. IE the right to bear arms is provided in order to protect the state.

I guess they didn't word that as well as they could of. The spirit of what they were trying to do was there, but the first part feels like a comment, and the last part blanket says the right should not be infringed (which is probably why subsequent supreme court rulings have protect the rights of individuals to bear arms). I'm not sure that was in the spirit of the amendment, but there's alot of things the forefather's couldn't of predicted all those years ago when they wrote all of that stuff....

So where was I going with all this? I dunno. I like the Canadian way. Don't make guns illegal, just put a pile of red tape between people and their guns.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    CDFish wrote:
    I will admit, I used to hate guns. Since becoming a mother 5.5 years ago my stance has changed. Maybe it's also because I am older and less naive, but this is a messed up world we live in. My quiet, suburban town has become a place where drug addicts come to break into cars, homes, and businesses in order to support their habits. I should feel safe in my home when i go to sleep at night, with the doors locked, but unfortunately that is not the case. Criminals and others who intend to inflict harm will always find a way to get guns, no matter how harsh the laws. The city of Chicago has some of the toughest laws in the country and the people there are still killing each other, in record numbers. There should be harsher penalties for the PEOPLE who commit any sort of crime with a gun, whether or not they use it or merely possess it. I'm not opposed to more thorough background checks, for everyone living in the household with a gun. That being said, I still love Pearl Jam and respect their opinions on issues. No one said we all have to agree!

Good post and I agree.Many people are way to Naive to what really is going on.I wish we lived in some utopian society where one need not worry about violence and crime and our children were safe.But we live in a sick world and scumbags do want to hurt, steal,rob ,murder,rape,kidnap and assault innocent people.
    Every law enforcement person I have ever met who comes face to face with violence everyday has recommended responsible self protection for self and family.
  • Options
    letsongsprotestletsongsprotest Novi, MI Posts: 548
    I just can't believe that they put Sleeping By Myself on Lightning Bolt!!!

(every other thread includes this from someone :P )
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • Options
    THE LOOKTHE LOOK Posts: 324
    CDFish wrote:
    I will admit, I used to hate guns. Since becoming a mother 5.5 years ago my stance has changed. Maybe it's also because I am older and less naive, but this is a messed up world we live in. My quiet, suburban town has become a place where drug addicts come to break into cars, homes, and businesses in order to support their habits. I should feel safe in my home when i go to sleep at night, with the doors locked, but unfortunately that is not the case. Criminals and others who intend to inflict harm will always find a way to get guns, no matter how harsh the laws. The city of Chicago has some of the toughest laws in the country and the people there are still killing each other, in record numbers. There should be harsher penalties for the PEOPLE who commit any sort of crime with a gun, whether or not they use it or merely possess it. I'm not opposed to more thorough background checks, for everyone living in the household with a gun. That being said, I still love Pearl Jam and respect their opinions on issues. No one said we all have to agree!

Thank you!

Also, alcohol + vehicles = death

Drink up America!
    Bigfoot is blurry.
    - Mitch Hedberg
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    a5pj wrote:
    Wow his statement was completely missed by so many people. Sure, it was poorly worded, but the point is that guns kill innocent people on accident every day and nothing is being done about it, NOTHING. He didn't even mention the mass shootings that happen EVERY DAY, the news doesn't even make them a story anymore because they're so common.

There are responsible guns owners, many of them, there are also tons or irresponsible ones that think they're toys. It's also way too easy to get them.

Personal - I don't know about you but when I see someone carrying a handgun in Target I get the hell outta there, I don't trust you or your decision making, period. Cops have training, degrees, and they don't even make the right decision all the time.

Saw a facebook post that someone was completely removing PJ from their life, covering tattoo's etc, because of this statement. Absolutely ridiculous, why throw away good music. Made me think of the typical Republican overreaction. (Example a law passed we don't like, let's shut down the government and screw over millions of people because we didn't get our way, wahhh).

So the liberal fans would be fine with Eddie saying he was anti abortion?
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    I just can't believe that they put Sleeping By Myself on Lightning Bolt!!!

(every other thread includes this from someone :P )

:lol: I "almost" wished it wasnt on the new album.

And Zod, good post man. :clap:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    silentJsilentJ Columbus, OH Posts: 199
    10ctoronto wrote:
    I agree with CitizenRick. Look at countries that ban guns, like Japan, much safer! I think the poster should be banned from the Pearl Jam show with his opinion of Ed. I do not think Ed cares about your stupid opinion, hillbilly! Poster has fallen victim to fear-mongering or Hollywood glamorization. I think you are more likely to be shot if you have a weapon.

Name calling....... :nono:
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    So the liberal fans would be fine with Eddie saying he was anti abortion?

I wouldn't read an article in which Eddie said he almost wished harm on those responsible for holding up abortion legislation and then go off saying I want to flip him the bird in Worcester because he is anti-abortion.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,059
    edited October 2013
    Parksy wrote:
    I read in the news the other day.. some woman was hugging her boyfriend when his gun accidentally went off and shot her dead.

Death by hugging.

No matter how many 'responsible' gun owners there are out there... such lax gun laws will always be a cause for guns getting into the hands of those 'irresponsible' . Also... I'd be curious to what happens when a 'responsible' gun owner gets his/her hands on some guns... and then through depression or some other mental health problem that may occur suddenly becomes someone who should never be around guns.

If a law can make it harder for someone to get a gun... I say do it. In the end .. I suppose everyone's entitled to their opinion.

This topic is like abortion, Obamacare and Gay marriage, you're either for it or against it. There is no middle ground.
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • Options
    tcadd94tcadd94 North Jersey Posts: 611
    Rossum20 wrote:
    Everyone is a responsible gun owner...until they're not.

The facts don't lie: you're far more likely to have someone innocent get hurt as a result of having a gun in the home than not. The irony is that you think you're protecting you kids, when in fact, you're likely doing the opposite. Weapons often escalate situations unnecessarily, and accidents happen all the time. If you don't live in a dangerous neighborhood, odds are you are just paranoid, like most gun owners who use it for the sole purpose of "personal protection".

But I'd agree there are some responsible gun owners, so what? Does that mean we shouldn't have common sense gun laws? Will they completely eradicate gun violence? Of course not, but they'll help a little.

The NRA sure is effective with their brainwashing propaganda though :lol:

The number of gun owners in the US is on the decline, while the number of guns is on the rise. The gun nuts are stockpiling for the zombie apocalypse!

Right on, guns are nothing but trouble.
    I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
    Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
  • Options
    pearljam7pearljam7 Posts: 447
    What about the fact that eddie has axes lying around his house??
    5/4/2006, 5/12/2006, 5/13/2006, 6/1/2006, 6/3/2006, 6/24/2008, 6/25/2008, 6/27/2008, 6/30/2008, 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 8/7/08
  • Options
    I want to thank those of you who recognize that it's acceptable to have a difference of opinion from Ed yet still be a fan of the band, and I feel even Ed would even appreciate me speaking up for my differing beliefs.

I realize I posted this after being upset by Ed's interview rant, and it invoked a response....in my case a negative one. Out of respect to the other fans and the band there will be no bird flipping in Philly, and I also retract the statement which i implied non gun owners don't want to protect their kids. But I stand by the rest of my statement.

For those of you who tried to paint a negative/angry image of me, you'd be surprised at how wrong you are.

Carry on.

Karma will dictate accordingly. Some words when spoken, can't be taken back.
  • Options
    kc007 wrote:

Carry on.
    Thank you for not flipping EV the bird. You are entitled to your opinion, and I happen to respect it, as I respect everyone's opinion. Many of us support the constitution and the 2nd Amendment. I am just a fan who wants to escape and enjoy the music, not be worried that all hell breaks loose in the GA area if someone makes an inappropriate gesture, etc. We ALL have the responsibility to look out for each other and to make sure we feel safe among each other in the close quarters of a concert setting. For a few hours during these shows, we should all exercise extreme caution/control with our emotions and our behaviors. Its who we are. Who you are.

Edit to add... I would consider you more of a 'responsible' gun owner if you demonstrated greater control of what you say and the manner in which you say it. You came on this forum, threatened to give EV the bird (potentially starting a ruckus in the GA section) and in reality you reacted to what EV said in a very emotional way without even understanding the true context to which EV was speaking about. This is what has always alarmed me about the gun crowd, many are just as trigger happy with their words and if you can't control your words how can you call yourself a responsible gun owner?

A little bit of advice... use the "24 hour" rule. In these types of situations, think about what you want to say and then refrain for 24 hours. Guaranteed you won't feel the same after 24 hours. If more people applied this same logic to every thing they wanted to say there would be less arguments around here.
    peace.

Great post, great advice. Will anyone take it? Will the OP?
  • Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 723
    Lots of people unwilling to budge on their convictions. That's respectable, but I've never understood how one can hold a belief, look across the aisle at people with equally strong convictions, and expect to change them while being unwilling to change themselves. This tends to escalate into coercion on both sides.

My feelings are this: I know plenty of responsible gun owners. I also know and know of plenty of irresponsible gun owners. If there's some way to better differentiate the two, I'm all for restricting the latter's gun ownership. But that will never happen because neither side is willing to cede an inch on this issue.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    rr165892 wrote:
    CDFish wrote:

Good post and I agree.Many people are way to Naive to what really is going on.I wish we lived in some utopian society where one need not worry about violence and crime and our children were safe.But we live in a sick world and scumbags do want to hurt, steal,rob ,murder,rape,kidnap and assault innocent people.
    Every law enforcement person I have ever met who comes face to face with violence everyday has recommended responsible self protection for self and family.

It's judgment calls like these, claiming that "you're naive if you don't own a gun like me" that makes me think that such a closed mind is such a very dangerous thing to own. Much more dangerous than any gun. Wake up. Your opinion is just that. AN OPINION. Respect that everyone has one of their own and theirs certainly don't have to match anyone else's.

DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS.
  • Options
    I've never valued the political opinions of entertainers. For better or for worse.
  • Options
    solacesolace Posts: 110
    CDFish wrote:

this is an absolute (but common) MYTH :fp:

homicides were at a 40 year low in Chicago in 2010 & 2011:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_C ... go_by_year

1973: 864
    1974: 970
    1988: 660
    1989: 742
    1990: 851
    1991: 927
    1992: 943
    1993: 855
    1994: 931
    1995: 828
    1996: 796
    1997: 761
    1998: 704
    1999: 643
    2000: 633
    2001: 667
    2002: 656
    2003: 601
    2004: 453
    2005: 451
    2006: 471
    2007: 448
    2008: 513
    2009: 459
    2010: 436
    2011: 435

2012: 516
    2013: 337 to date (on par to end much closer to 2010 & 2011's numbers) http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2013-chicago-murders

post 2003 has been their lowest numbers in decades

don't believe everything you read.

i'm not saying Chicago doesn't have a very bad gang problem to deal with the last 2-3 years, but the numbers just don't support your statement.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    It's judgment calls like these, claiming that "you're naive if you don't own a gun like me" that makes me think that such a closed mind is such a very dangerous thing to own. Much more dangerous than any gun. Wake up. Your opinion is just that. AN OPINION. Respect that everyone has one of their own and theirs certainly don't have to match anyone else's.

That's not what they said. They said many people are naive, and it's the truth. On the other side of the coin, there are gun supporters that are paranoid and think that their guns will protect them if the government decided on a hostile take over.
  • Options
    rbrum7rbrum7 Posts: 976
    GD274660 wrote:
    rbrum7 wrote:
    You seem overly dramatic and unable to see exactly what's in front of you (in this case print), so you're the last person I would want owning a gun.

This last comment is not directed at you, but instead all gun owners...Gun's are for pussies.

HE seems overly dramatic and then you say guns are for pussies?

Irony, line one please.

This is my sentiment 24/7/365, so regardless of what else is going on, it's how I feel. Therefore I don't see how I can be being dramatic. I'm not the one saying he's going to flick off Ed and making things more than they are...i.e. saying Ed wants these people "harmed" when he clearly didn't say that. That sounds dramatic to me.
    Cleveland, OH - 8/26/98
    Cleveland, OH - 4/25/03
    Cleveland, OH - 5/20/06
    Cleveland, OH - 5/9/10
    (EV Solo) Detroit, MI - 6/26/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/3/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/4/11
    Chicago, IL - 7/19/13
    Shitsburgh, PA - 10/11/13
    Los Angeles, CA - 11/23/13
    Los Angeles, CA - 11/23/13
    Detroit, MI - 10/16/14
    Lexington, KY - 4/26/16
    Manchester, TN - 6/11/16
    Chicago, IL - 8/18/18
    Chicago, IL - 8/20/18
    (EV Solo) Tempe, AZ - 3/2/19
    Los Angeles, CA - 4/15/20 (Canceled)
    Los Angeles, CA - 4/16/20 (Canceled)
    Indianapolis, IN - 9/10/23 (Canceled)
  • Options
    Mawky1103Mawky1103 Posts: 310
    Ed is SPOT ON. If you feel the need to protect your family, move to a safer place or buy a baseball bat.
  • Options
    CDFishCDFish Boston, MA Posts: 173
    Never said anyone is naive if they don't own a gun. I was referring to the fact that I was once naive to think I lived in a safe little bubble and nothing bad would ever happen to me or my loved ones.

http://news.yahoo.com/chicago-murder-ca ... 22290.html

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbe ... tal-of-u-s

Don't believe everything you read either my friend.
    Hartford 1996; Mansfield 1&2 2000; Mansfield 3 2003; Boston 1&2 2004; Boston 1 2006; Mansfield 1 2008; Philadelphia 1 2009; Boston 2010; EV solo Providence 2011; Worcester 1 2013; Hartford 2013
  • Options
    This law abiding, licensed gun owner and supporter will see you in the PIT at both Philly shows. You can expect a middle finger on night one from me for your ignorance.
    jennifer-lawrence-10.gif
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Guns don't kill people.
    People kill people.
    Guns just make it just easier.
    You don't need a gun in a place where not everybody around you can easily have one.
    I was in the army and i can handle them well.
    But i am glad i never had to use them against a person and thankful to live in a place where i don't need one.
    Also you can't make them all disappear in one second in US.
    So i can kinda understand both sides.
    Murder rate United Nations speaking for itself (2012) : Mexico 27,199 US 14,612 compared to Canada 554 or whole Western Europe 1,852.
    This world would be a better place without all these guns.
    That's just a dream these days,while too many crazy people taking advantage of other people on this world today.
    But it's a nice goal to stand for.
    And i'm proud to be a fan of a band ,which trys to make this fucked up world just a little better.
  • Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    lemming wrote:
    Owning guns and shooting them for fun is ridiculous and childish, but what about axe throwing? :lol:

:lol::lol: Not at all true, lemming.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    Spags wrote:
    Its been a great way to thin out the gun nuts from the fanbase - thanks Ed :lol: Tbh, Im amazed there are any in the fanbase to begin with.

As a man who learned how to hunt from my father, and who's father taught him and so on, I am offended by your statement as I'm a die hard PJ fan. I'll teach my kids to hunt and they, too, will grow up spinning PJ vinyl in our house.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    rr165892 wrote:
    CDFish wrote:

Don't twist it.Im not saying your naive if you don't own a gun.And I didn't state my own ownership or non ownership. I am in agreement with the Op that most of society is naive to the bad that is out there.To pretend it Dosent exist is in fact naive.Protect your family as you see fit.Your Buisness. But sticking your head in the sand and thinking that nothing that goes bump in the night will hurt you is a fools errand.imo
  • Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458

This law abiding, licensed gun owner and supporter will see you in the PIT at both Philly shows. You can expect a middle finger on night one from me for your ignorance.

Do people still do this? Thank goodness, I haven't seen anyone do this in a long, long time.
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

This discussion has been closed.