Options

Dear Ed, There is a such thing as a Responsible Gun Owner...

Comments

• Options
    nevmilesnevmiles Ottawa, ON Posts: 1,363
    y3Yxr.gif
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • Options
    Parksy wrote:
    I dunno dude... to me it's just... it doesn't really compute to me that it's perfectly fine to as you put it... carry a gun in the bourbon capital of the world.

Feel free to educate me... because I'll be honest.. I'm confused by this.

But... you're allowed to carry a gun, concealed for protection.

Are you allowed to walk into liqour stores and bars with your gun as well? <- serious question.

No schools, Hospitals, government buildings, or open liquor establishments.

and so what does a law abiding responsible gun owner do with their weapon ifthey find themselves in a situation where they will only be going into the liquor store/hospital/school for a moment? leave the gun in the car? drive home, put it away, and come back?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    dlymnfld wrote:
    Being a Police Officer, the issue people have in my profession is that stricter gun laws just affect and punish the average law abiding citizen. Criminals get guns regardless and don't abide by any rules stricter or not. We always joke that there are some pretty strict laws on possessing coke, heroin and meth but the criminals seem to have no problem getting their hands on those "illegal" items. There are responsible gun owners out there, I come in contact with them all the time but I also see more criminals carrying non licensed illegal guns (usually with their heroin, coke and meth). IBTL
    Criminals steel their guns from responsible gun owners everyday. The more guns the more death.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    GD274660GD274660 Posts: 514
    rbrum7 wrote:
    You seem overly dramatic and unable to see exactly what's in front of you (in this case print), so you're the last person I would want owning a gun.

This last comment is not directed at you, but instead all gun owners...Gun's are for pussies.

HE seems overly dramatic and then you say guns are for pussies?

Irony, line one please.
    San Jose 10/93, San Francisco 6/95, San Jose 11/95, St Louis 4/03, Columbus 5/10, MSGII 5/21/2010, Alpine Valley 09/03/2011 and 09/04/2011
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    callen wrote:
    Criminals steel their guns from responsible gun owners everyday. The more guns the more death.

I'm sure that happens, but I'd say 99% of criminals get their guns through different illegal means.
  • Options
    Not only would I die for my children, but I would also Kill for them. Apparently, you do not value your children as highly as I do, which is a shame.

this is incredibly offensive.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    jmuscatellojmuscatello Colorado Posts: 332
    Rossum20 wrote:
    Everyone is a responsible gun owner...until they're not.

The facts don't lie: you're far more likely to have someone innocent get hurt as a result of having a gun in the home than not. The irony is that you think you're protecting you kids, when in fact, you're likely doing the opposite. Weapons often escalate situations unnecessarily, and accidents happen all the time. If you don't live in a dangerous neighborhood, odds are you are just paranoid, like most gun owners who use it for the sole purpose of "personal protection".

But I'd agree there are some responsible gun owners, so what? Does that mean we shouldn't have common sense gun laws? Will they completely eradicate gun violence? Of course not, but they'll help a little.

The NRA sure is effective with their brainwashing propaganda though :lol:

The number of gun owners in the US is on the decline, while the number of guns is on the rise. The gun nuts are stockpiling for the zombie apocalypse!

Perfectly said.
    Sounds like OP has anger issues.
    Please keep speaking your mind loud and clear Ed, totally with you on this.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    goldrush wrote:
    Followed them longer than most. I am aware they are anti-gun, which is not my issue. For the second time its that Ed would wish harm on me for being a supporter of gun rights.
    Seriously? Did you actually read the article before you decided to post this rant? Ed is not wishing harm on you, he is angry at the people who think that guns are fun.

"I get so angry that I almost wish bad things upon these people (i.e the people that think that owning a gun is 'fun')" Vedder said. "But I don't have to because it seems like they happen anyways"

Exactly. I'm amazed at how far out of context people are taking this.

Ed's a human being who said something off the cuff...some things arent to be taken literally. I dont get why some gun owners get SO defensive like they're being attacked. If you're responsible gun owner, Ed wasnt talking about YOU!
    :fp: :fp:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Not only would I die for my children, but I would also Kill for them. Apparently, you do not value your children as highly as I do, which is a shame.

this is incredibly offensive.

Yup.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    dlymnfld wrote:
    Being a Police Officer, the issue people have in my profession is that stricter gun laws just affect and punish the average law abiding citizen. Criminals get guns regardless and don't abide by any rules stricter or not. We always joke that there are some pretty strict laws on possessing coke, heroin and meth but the criminals seem to have no problem getting their hands on those "illegal" items. There are responsible gun owners out there, I come in contact with them all the time but I also see more criminals carrying non licensed illegal guns (usually with their heroin, coke and meth). IBTL

Agree 110%
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,160
    And there's a such thing as a Christian who isn't trying to convert the world, steal from the offering plate and rape children. Love Ed. But his generalizations go off the deep end some times.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    gun views aside, what kind of reaction did the OP think he was going to get - coming on a forum where a lot of people are already feeling bummed out from not getting tickets to shows, and saying he's going to use HIS hard-won, highly prized general-admission ticket to stand in the pit and give Ed the bird?
    San Diego 10/25/00
    Irvine 6/03/03
    Los Angeles 7/9/06
    Los Angeles 7/10/06
    Los Angeles 7/12/08 (VH1 Rock Honors the Who)
    Los Angeles 10/01/09
    Los Angeles 4/12/08 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 10/06/09
    MSG 5/20/10
    San Diego 7/5/11 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 11/23/13
    Los Angeles 11/24/13
    Sao Paulo, Brazil 11/14/15
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    DewieCox wrote:
    callen wrote:

I'm sure that happens, but I'd say 99% of criminals get their guns through different illegal means.
    Home burglaries and car breaking is what starts the flow.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    bicyclejoe wrote:
    And there's a such thing as a Christian who isn't trying to convert the world, steal from the offering plate and rape children. Love Ed. But his generalizations go off the deep end some times.

I'd love to see a link to where Ed said this.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Great, another thread for people who enjoy freaking out, to be freaked out when someone dares to state an opinion unlike theirs. :fp:

Lets just all be angry and hate each other, it's what today's culture is. There is no room for a differing opinion, so fuck
    everyone else.

How quickly the love and compassion from a Steve Gleason thread, and the good vibes of the new album
    turns this place back to a toxic playground.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    callen wrote:
    Home burglaries and car breaking is what starts the flow.

I don't know all the stats, but I can't imagine that a very high percentage of guns that are in criminal hands came from theft from licensed gun owners. The stories you read on the news, those are often registered guns, but that's really a drop in the bucket when it comes to violent crime done with firearms.
  • Options
    When american's finally decide to get rid of guns then it will be a saver country, why is a country so stuck on a piece of paper wrote 300 odd years ago, same with the loons who follow the bible word for word. Why like your life dedicated to old doctrine that suited a time and place. Does it not make sense to evaluate modern society and base laws on that.
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Options
    To the OP:

I understand you have a different opinion on this issue and honestly I disagree with Ed on many things he has said over the years. But I would suggest you not let this bother you and just focus on enjoying the music. At the end of the day, Ed is entitled to his opinion and he doesnt make any laws, nothing he says or does affects your personal life in any way. Now if he were in office making law I could see how you would feel upset and speak out. But he's not, he's just an average joe with no more say in these issues than the rest of us. Enjoy the music, enjoy the upcoming shows, send your open letters to your state representatives and vote for people that believe what you believe. And if you are passionate about carrying a gun then do it, obviously its legal where you live and its your choice. I don't own one personally, I've always felt if I need a gun where i live its not time to buy a gun its time to move lol. May I suggest one of these instead: http://www.amazon.com/Signature-Series-Darth-Vader-Lightsaber/dp/B0016PIXRA/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1381419840&sr=8-11&keywords=lightsaber
    An elegant weapon, from a more civilized age.
  • Options
    CDFishCDFish Boston, MA Posts: 173
    I will admit, I used to hate guns. Since becoming a mother 5.5 years ago my stance has changed. Maybe it's also because I am older and less naive, but this is a messed up world we live in. My quiet, suburban town has become a place where drug addicts come to break into cars, homes, and businesses in order to support their habits. I should feel safe in my home when i go to sleep at night, with the doors locked, but unfortunately that is not the case. Criminals and others who intend to inflict harm will always find a way to get guns, no matter how harsh the laws. The city of Chicago has some of the toughest laws in the country and the people there are still killing each other, in record numbers. There should be harsher penalties for the PEOPLE who commit any sort of crime with a gun, whether or not they use it or merely possess it. I'm not opposed to more thorough background checks, for everyone living in the household with a gun. That being said, I still love Pearl Jam and respect their opinions on issues. No one said we all have to agree!
    Hartford 1996; Mansfield 1&2 2000; Mansfield 3 2003; Boston 1&2 2004; Boston 1 2006; Mansfield 1 2008; Philadelphia 1 2009; Boston 2010; EV solo Providence 2011; Worcester 1 2013; Hartford 2013
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,939
    aw04.png
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,678
    Spags wrote:
    aw04.png

YES!!! :D
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,905
    When american's finally decide to get rid of guns then it will be a saver country, why is a country so stuck on a piece of paper wrote 300 odd years ago, same with the loons who follow the bible word for word. Why like your life dedicated to old doctrine that suited a time and place. Does it not make sense to evaluate modern society and base laws on that.

it's called an amendment. there's 27 of them. and ireland is the the model of non-violence. I heard londonderry (or derry) has always been a quiet peaceful place.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    staz17staz17 Posts: 88
    Spags wrote:
    aw04.png

This literally made my day!

Here's my opinion - I live in Canada and love my U.S. neighbors (see you all Saturday in Buffalo) but I can't help but wonder what America would be like with similar gun legislation as Canada. It pains me so much to see the loss of innocent life that stems from a governments inability to see the bigger picture. why?

NRA = No Real Authority. Stop allowing them to make the decisions that shape the path of your country.
  • Options
    Posts like this make me laugh a little where we have people backing Ed for having the right to say whatever he wants and then turn around and rip the guy who shared an opinion that's different than yours.

Like someone said earlier, my only issue is wishing bad karma on Ed. I don;t want to see what would happen to the 10c server if we all had to get refunds ;-). But as far as his post? Agree or disagree, his opinion is held by many resonable people. It's a "hot" argument and those are sometimes the best because both sides have logical claims for being correct.

As someone said, you view of the world does change dramatically as you get older - look no further than our favorite band for poof of that. For some, that means they go to extreme measures to protect their families.

But at the end of the day, there are way to many opportunities to go places to read name calling and indignant arguing. Dudes, the tour starts next week. It's all sunshine and gumdrops right now!
  • Options
    when you are famous - everything you say is under a microscope at all times. Things are taken out of context or lost in translation.
    I could say i ALMOST wish that a bomb would fall from the sky and kill my neighbors dog.
    Does that mean i really want my neighbors dog dead. No - i just want it to stop barking. Frustration leads to exaggeration

peace
  • Options
    In response to this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/0 ... 59887.html

Ed,

While I fully support your use of freedom of speech over the years, your statement in this interview is of pure ignorance. I'm not going to debate gun control or the politics around it, its your choice to not own a gun and I fully support that. But to wish harm on gun control opponents? I hope karma takes a big bite out of your ass on that comment alone.

I own and legally conceal carry 1 handgun. I do not hunt, it is not used for sport, it is simply for the protection of my family. My gun is never seen by my children, and it's "never fucking laying around". I know where this gun is 24/7. This gun was purchased in the wake of the Colorado Movie Theater shooting, and the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting after I had recently become a father. Not only would I die for my children, but I would also Kill for them. Apparently, you do not value your children as highly as I do, which is a shame.

I hope my gun is never used in the manner in which it is intended, but the world is a crazy place and i will never hesitate to protect my family.

This law abiding, licensed gun owner and supporter will see you in the PIT at both Philly shows. You can expect a middle finger on night one from me for your ignorance.
    You are still going to the shows though. I'm sorry but that's ignorant. It's his humble opinion. I have an opinion for you but i wont elaborate since i have been blocked for past posts and dont want any bad karma. lol.....
    Son of Jor-El
  • Options
    I want to thank those of you who recognize that it's acceptable to have a difference of opinion from Ed yet still be a fan of the band, and I feel even Ed would even appreciate me speaking up for my differing beliefs.

I realize I posted this after being upset by Ed's interview rant, and it invoked a response....in my case a negative one. Out of respect to the other fans and the band there will be no bird flipping in Philly, and I also retract the statement which i implied non gun owners don't want to protect their kids. But I stand by the rest of my statement.

For those of you who tried to paint a negative/angry image of me, you'd be surprised at how wrong you are.

Carry on.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Apparently, you do not value your children as highly as I do, which is a shame.

This is quite probably the arrogant line I have ever read in 16 years on this site and Synergy.
  • Options
    staz17staz17 Posts: 88
    For those of you who tried to paint a negative/angry image of me, you'd be surprised at how wrong you are.

And you be surprised at how quickly this happens when you make a post like your original.

Or maybe not - you just saw what happened...
  • Options
    kc007kc007 USA Posts: 282
    edited October 2013
    I want to thank those of you who recognize that it's acceptable to have a difference of opinion from Ed yet still be a fan of the band, and I feel even Ed would even appreciate me speaking up for my differing beliefs.

I realize I posted this after being upset by Ed's interview rant, and it invoked a response....in my case a negative one. Out of respect to the other fans and the band there will be no bird flipping in Philly, and I also retract the statement which i implied non gun owners don't want to protect their kids. But I stand by the rest of my statement.

Carry on.
    Thank you for not flipping EV the bird. You are entitled to your opinion, and I happen to respect it, as I respect everyone's opinion. Many of us support the constitution and the 2nd Amendment. I am just a fan who wants to escape and enjoy the music, not be worried that all hell breaks loose in the GA area if someone makes an inappropriate gesture, etc. We ALL have the responsibility to look out for each other and to make sure we feel safe among each other in the close quarters of a concert setting. For a few hours during these shows, we should all exercise extreme caution/control with our emotions and our behaviors. Its who we are. Who you are.

Edit to add... I would consider you more of a 'responsible' gun owner if you demonstrated greater control of what you say and the manner in which you say it. You came on this forum, threatened to give EV the bird (potentially starting a ruckus in the GA section) and in reality you reacted to what EV said in a very emotional way without even understanding the true context to which EV was speaking about. This is what has always alarmed me about the gun crowd, many are just as trigger happy with their words and if you can't control your words how can you call yourself a responsible gun owner?

A little bit of advice... use the "24 hour" rule. In these types of situations, think about what you want to say and then refrain for 24 hours. Guaranteed you won't feel the same after 24 hours. If more people applied this same logic to every thing they wanted to say there would be less arguments around here.
    peace.
    Post edited by kc007 on
This discussion has been closed.