Options

Dear Ed, There is a such thing as a Responsible Gun Owner...

Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
edited October 2013 in The Porch
In response to this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/0 ... 59887.html

Ed,

While I fully support your use of freedom of speech over the years, your statement in this interview is of pure ignorance. I'm not going to debate gun control or the politics around it, its your choice to not own a gun and I fully support that. But to wish harm on gun control opponents? I hope karma takes a big bite out of your ass on that comment alone.

I own and legally conceal carry 1 handgun. I do not hunt, it is not used for sport, it is simply for the protection of my family. My gun is never seen by my children, and it's "never fucking laying around". I know where this gun is 24/7. This gun was purchased in the wake of the Colorado Movie Theater shooting, and the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting after I had recently become a father. Not only would I die for my children, but I would also Kill for them. Apparently, you do not value your children as highly as I do, which is a shame.

I hope my gun is never used in the manner in which it is intended, but the world is a crazy place and i will never hesitate to protect my family.

This law abiding, licensed gun owner and supporter will see you in the PIT at both Philly shows. You can expect a middle finger on night one from me for your ignorance.
"It's all happening"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    -- Say's the future irresponsible gun owner.

Who are you gonna shoot dude? You watch too many Marky Mark movies. Whatever. Saddle up cowboy.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    ibtl
  • Options
    Rossum20Rossum20 Posts: 910
    Everyone is a responsible gun owner...until they're not.

The facts don't lie: you're far more likely to have someone innocent get hurt as a result of having a gun in the home than not. The irony is that you think you're protecting you kids, when in fact, you're likely doing the opposite. Weapons often escalate situations unnecessarily, and accidents happen all the time. If you don't live in a dangerous neighborhood, odds are you are just paranoid, like most gun owners who use it for the sole purpose of "personal protection".

But I'd agree there are some responsible gun owners, so what? Does that mean we shouldn't have common sense gun laws? Will they completely eradicate gun violence? Of course not, but they'll help a little.

The NRA sure is effective with their brainwashing propaganda though :lol:

The number of gun owners in the US is on the decline, while the number of guns is on the rise. The gun nuts are stockpiling for the zombie apocalypse!
  • Options
    I agree with CitizenRick. Look at countries that ban guns, like Japan, much safer! I think the poster should be banned from the Pearl Jam show with his opinion of Ed. I do not think Ed cares about your stupid opinion, hillbilly! Poster has fallen victim to fear-mongering or Hollywood glamorization. I think you are more likely to be shot if you have a weapon.
  • Options
    I'm not debating the stance on the issue, I understand its a hot topic. I take offense to Ed wishing harm on gun supporters. That's just bad karma.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    WhywhyzedWhywhyzed Posts: 270
    I can't believe i'm posting in this thread (ibtl?) but I'm pretty sure Ed was talking about the legislators who are steadfastly blocking any discussion of gun legislation despite the overwhelming support for it in the general public. Not Joe Schmoe with his pistol under his pillow "for protection".
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,678
    I read in the news the other day.. some woman was hugging her boyfriend when his gun accidentally went off and shot her dead.

Death by hugging.

No matter how many 'responsible' gun owners there are out there... such lax gun laws will always be a cause for guns getting into the hands of those 'irresponsible' . Also... I'd be curious to what happens when a 'responsible' gun owner gets his/her hands on some guns... and then through depression or some other mental health problem that may occur suddenly becomes someone who should never be around guns.

If a law can make it harder for someone to get a gun... I say do it. In the end .. I suppose everyone's entitled to their opinion.
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,449
    Feels so manly when armed.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    you cannot always protect yourself. Life happens. If someone has a machine gun, are you going to protect yourself with a grenade or rocket launcher?
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    :crazy:
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options

Ed,

While I fully support your use of freedom of speech over the years, your statement in this interview is of pure ignorance. I'm not going to debate gun control or the politics around it, its your choice to not own a gun and I fully support that. But to wish harm on gun control opponents? I hope karma takes a big bite out of your ass on that comment alone.

I own and legally conceal carry 1 handgun. I do not hunt, it is not used for sport, it is simply for the protection of my family. My gun is never seen by my children, and it's "never fucking laying around". I know where this gun is 24/7. This gun was purchased in the wake of the Colorado Movie Theater shooting, and the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting after I had recently become a father. Not only would I die for my children, but I would also Kill for them. Apparently, you do not value your children as highly as I do, which is a shame.

I hope my gun is never used in the manner in which it is intended, but the world is a crazy place and i will never hesitate to protect my family.

This law abiding, licensed gun owner and supporter will see you in the PIT at both Philly shows. You can expect a middle finger on night one from me for your ignorance.

In all seriousness, have you actually paid attention to Ed all these years? Nothing he said should surprise you. He has an opinion that's different than yours. Get over it or move on. Not trying to be harsh, but you're acting like this is a topic that the band has never addressed before.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs wrote:

Ed,

In all seriousness, have you actually paid attention to Ed all these years? Nothing he said should surprise you. He has an opinion that's different than yours. Get over it or move on. Not trying to be harsh, but you're acting like this is a topic that the band has never addressed before.

Followed them longer than most. I am aware they are anti-gun, which is not my issue. For the second time its that Ed would wish harm on me for being a supporter of gun rights.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    I might get scathed for this post.... and I really don't usually like any poking or prodding at another member ..

buttttttt.....

does it worry anyone else that the gun carrying fellow has a bottle of booze representing him in his profile pic? ;)
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210

where_every_day_abbreviations_actually_come_from_10.gif
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    Parksy wrote:
    I might get scathed for this post.... and I really don't usually like any poking or prodding at another member ..

buttttttt.....

does it worry anyone else that the gun carrying fellow has a bottle of booze representing him in his profile pic? ;)

I reside in the Bourbon Capital of the World.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    I don't believe Ed was saying he was wishing harm against anyone in support of guns.

I think he wishes harm (rightfully so) on the pussies and ass clowns who have been shooting people at an alarming pace in the states.
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    "Got a gun, in fact I've got 2
    That's okay coz I believe in God!"
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    on2legs wrote:

Ed,

Followed them longer than most. I am aware they are anti-gun, which is not my issue. For the second time its that Ed would wish harm on me for being a supporter of gun rights.

It seems as though he has beef with the elected officials who are not representing the 90% of Americans who are in support of common sense gun laws. Not to mention he said "almost". :lol:
    Post edited by Rossum20 on
  • Options
    Lionel-Hutz.jpg
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    If I were you and was as legitimately offended as you claim to be then I would skip the concert on principle.

• Options
    Rossum20 wrote:

No offense, but did you even read the article, or did you quickly look at the title and base your ramblings on that? He has beef with the elected officials who are not representing the 90% of Americans who are in support of common sense gun laws. Not to mention he said "almost".

I would like to know where his 90% figure came from also, but that is neither here nor there.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    on2legs wrote:
    If I were you and was as legitimately offended as you claim to be then I would skip the concert on principle.

FTW
  • Options
    I dunno dude... to me it's just... it doesn't really compute to me that it's perfectly fine to as you put it... carry a gun in the bourbon capital of the world.

Feel free to educate me... because I'll be honest.. I'm confused by this.

But... you're allowed to carry a gun, concealed for protection.

Are you allowed to walk into liqour stores and bars with your gun as well? <- serious question.
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    on2legs wrote:

Mike McCready doesn't need to suffer for Ed's ignorance.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    Rossum20 wrote:

No offense, but did you even read the article, or did you quickly look at the title and base your ramblings on that? He has beef with the elected officials who are not representing the 90% of Americans who are in support of common sense gun laws. Not to mention he said "almost".

I would like to know where his 90% figure came from also, but that is neither here nor there.

It's old news.

http://pollingmatters.gallup.com/2013/0 ... asure.html
  • Options
    Parksy wrote:
    I dunno dude... to me it's just... it doesn't really compute to me that it's perfectly fine to as you put it... carry a gun in the bourbon capital of the world.

Feel free to educate me... because I'll be honest.. I'm confused by this.

But... you're allowed to carry a gun, concealed for protection.

Are you allowed to walk into liqour stores and bars with your gun as well? <- serious question.

No schools, Hospitals, government buildings, or open liquor establishments.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    Ever feel like you're on a moving train?

p.s. Thank you, Ed!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    thefixer9 wrote:
    "Got a gun, in fact I've got 2
    That's okay man, coz I love god"
    :)
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    Rossum20 wrote:
    Rossum20 wrote:

It's old news.

http://pollingmatters.gallup.com/2013/0 ... asure.html

They do require background checks for gun purchases.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    @ OP...

So what about work? Like... let's say you're a construction worker... or a dentist.... are you allowed to bring your gun to work and carry it? How's that go?
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016