Options

Dear Ed, There is a such thing as a Responsible Gun Owner...

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,587
    PJ_Soul wrote:

You're not making a good argument. You should just call him a poo poo head and get it over with.

:lol:
    I guess I could, but that wouldn't have made the point I was making.
    I didn't claim that it's a good argument. I was only explaining why I don't give a crap if people are responsible guns owners. It doesn't make gun ownership right in my own opinion. Responsible gun ownership is certainly better than irresponsible gun ownership, but it doesn't eliminate the problem IMO.

Got ya. Unfortunately it's a little late if you thought gun sales were slowing down... In the U.S., it's one of the strongest industries in a country that doesn't have many growing ones anymore. Here's a good article for ya'll:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/frankminite ... gun-sales/
    "In 1959 some 60 percent of the American public favored handgun bans, according to Gallup, whereas today 73 percent oppose such bans and only 26 percent want bans on handguns." From Forbes, 8/2012
    Oh, I think it's a completely lost cause in the US. No matter how much I think guns suck, it doesn't matter (I mean, even if I was American). The gun freaks and the NRA and the red necks in the government who have no business being there in the first place have a strangle hold on the issue.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,302

He didn't wish harm, he said this 'I Almost Wish Bad Things Upon These People'

Had he said 'I Wish Bad Things Upon These People' that would be different.

But then he adds "But I don't have to because it seems like they happen anyways"....,that implies that they deserve it. I'm still not cool with that statement. I take it as my family deserves to be harmed by a gun because I'm a gun supporter. Seems a bit harsh....I don't wish lung cancer on Ed because he chooses to smoke.

I don't think he's saying anyone deserves it. I just think he is aware that gun owners are more likely to commit suicide, accidentally kill themselves, accidentally kill a friend or loved one, get the gun stolen, or get shot engaging a home invader than stopping a home invasion or "bad guy."
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    Obviously, you can't or shouldn't outlaw ALL guns. But there are some available to the general public that shouldn't be, and far too few safeguards in place to ensure they do not belong in the hands of the mentally ill and others who should not have them.

The pro-gun lobby has and will block any effort to accomplish even that.

Until we live in a society where we no longer consider 20 massacred first-graders to be collateral damage, it will always be that way.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Oh, I think it's a completely lost cause in the US. No matter how much I think guns suck, it doesn't matter (I mean, even if I was American). The gun freaks and the NRA and the red necks in the government who have no business being there in the first place have a strangle hold on the issue.

Sorry to say I disagree, love. I'm not a gun freak, an NRA member or a red neck and I don't ever plan on owning a gun.

That said, I'm proud of the second amendment and I think it's insane to support the removal of rights of a people by a federal government.

There are a lot of ins and outs on this one so I don't want to get too into it. I just wanted to post because there are a lot of people like me who don't fit into any of the categories you mentioned and it's way too easy to say "all gun rights supporters are nuts" or however you want to put it. It's much more complicated than that.

I think that a population demanding that a federal government disarm them is what's truly nuts.
  • Options
    october22 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Sorry to say I disagree, love. I'm not a gun freak, an NRA member or a red neck and I don't ever plan on owning a gun.

That said, I'm proud of the second amendment and I think it's insane to support the removal of rights of a people by a federal government.

There are a lot of ins and outs on this one so I don't want to get too into it. I just wanted to post because there are a lot of people like me who don't fit into any of the categories you mentioned and it's way too easy to say "all gun rights supporters are nuts" or however you want to put it. It's much more complicated than that.

I think that a population demanding that a federal government disarm them is what's truly nuts.
    No no, I'm not expressing myself well at all. I don't think that gun rights supporters are nuts (would the world be a better place without guns in it? Yes! But I understand reality). I think that people who think that 1) their rights shouldn't be restricted at all are stupid (I believe in limited rights when it comes to guns... as it is, it's easier to get a gun than it is a car), and 2) it's a good idea to own guns just because or for fun or because the boogie man is coming to get them, suck. Just because people CAN own guns it doesn't mean they should. I'm a realist about it. But I don't like guns, and also think that the second amendment is in desperate need of a face lift to suit the times.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,860

He didn't wish harm, he said this 'I Almost Wish Bad Things Upon These People'

Had he said 'I Wish Bad Things Upon These People' that would be different.
    . Seems a bit harsh....I don't wish lung cancer on Ed because he chooses to smoke.

But people who smoke tend to get lung cancer...

Pretty much the same statement, except you said don't, he said almost.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    silentJsilentJ Columbus, OH Posts: 199
    -- Say's the future irresponsible gun owner.

Who are you gonna shoot dude? You watch too many Marky Mark movies. Whatever. Saddle up cowboy.

Please don't bring Marky Mark into this argument. He is a national treasure.

Hahahahaha!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Is anyone against Eddie throwing an AXE into a tree on his land with children around?

I guess Eddie is a very responsible AXE thrower.

Not for guns but he is using a dangerous weapon and I'm sure he's done it having a few Coronas. Just saying.
    An ax isn't a weapon. It's a tool for cutting wood. People can also hurt other with their own feet, but that doesn't mean that feet should be compared to guns, come on. :roll: This kind of comparison has been done to death, and it never works.

More people die from feet and axes than guns
  • Options
    This thread is still going?

This topic is like abortion, gay marriage and obamacare, you're either "for it" or "against it."

Lock this thread mods it's only going to get worse...
  • Options
    silentJ wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Is anyone against Eddie throwing an AXE into a tree on his land with children around?

I guess Eddie is a very responsible AXE thrower.

Not for guns but he is using a dangerous weapon and I'm sure he's done it having a few Coronas. Just saying.
    An ax isn't a weapon. It's a tool for cutting wood. People can also hurt other with their own feet, but that doesn't mean that feet should be compared to guns, come on. :roll: This kind of comparison has been done to death, and it never works.

More people die from feet and axes than guns
    Stats please.
  • Options

This topic is like abortion, gay marriage and obamacare, you're either "for it" or "against it."

I know, I hate this topic. I completely regret ever posting here. :fp:
  • Options
    achardingacharding Posts: 359
    *slowly backs out of thread* :silent:
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Hahahaaa, so do I! I actually only came in here to ask why the fuck people are still posting! Then I got caught up!

In fact, I just wrote an incredibly long (and friendly) response to you, PJ_Soul (I think we agree actually) but then I deleted the fucking thing because I felt like an ass for getting dragged into this shit! ;)

I'm going back to bullshitting about Lightning Bolt now :D
  • Options
    october22 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Hahahaaa, so do I! I actually only came in here to ask why the fuck people are still posting! Then I got caught up!

In fact, I just wrote an incredibly long (and friendly) response to you, PJ_Soul (I think we agree actually) but then I deleted the fucking thing because I felt like an ass for getting dragged into this shit! ;)

I'm going back to bullshitting about Lightning Bolt now :D
    Hahaha, good idea! Me too! :P
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    Ed has every right to speak hi's mind as does every gun owner , i have zero problem with what he said ....The only thing i can say i don't like guns i don't socialize with people who own them i stay as far away as i can from people with guns or any weapons ...Glad you the OP feels safer with your gun ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    In response to this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/0 ... 59887.html

Ed,

While I fully support your use of freedom of speech over the years, your statement in this interview is of pure ignorance. I'm not going to debate gun control or the politics around it, its your choice to not own a gun and I fully support that. But to wish harm on gun control opponents? I hope karma takes a big bite out of your ass on that comment alone.

I own and legally conceal carry 1 handgun. I do not hunt, it is not used for sport, it is simply for the protection of my family. My gun is never seen by my children, and it's "never fucking laying around". I know where this gun is 24/7. This gun was purchased in the wake of the Colorado Movie Theater shooting, and the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting after I had recently become a father. Not only would I die for my children, but I would also Kill for them. Apparently, you do not value your children as highly as I do, which is a shame.

I hope my gun is never used in the manner in which it is intended, but the world is a crazy place and i will never hesitate to protect my family.

This law abiding, licensed gun owner and supporter will see you in the PIT at both Philly shows. You can expect a middle finger on night one from me for your ignorance.

You sir, are a douchebag
    DC-9/24/96
    Philly-8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/3/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16
    Jones Beach-8/25/00
    PSU-5/3/03
    Irvine-6/2/03
    San Diego-6/5/03
    Hershey-7/12/03
    Reading-10/1/04
    The Gorge-9/1/05
    Vancouver-9/2/05
    AC-9/30/05
    E. Rutherford, NJ-6/1/06,6/3/06
    Bonnaroo-6/14/08
    VA Beach-6/17/08
    MSG-5/20/10,5/21/10
    Baltimore 10/27/13
  • Options
    Kanye East wrote:

Ed,

While I fully support your use of freedom of speech over the years, your statement in this interview is of pure ignorance. I'm not going to debate gun control or the politics around it, its your choice to not own a gun and I fully support that. But to wish harm on gun control opponents? I hope karma takes a big bite out of your ass on that comment alone.

I own and legally conceal carry 1 handgun. I do not hunt, it is not used for sport, it is simply for the protection of my family. My gun is never seen by my children, and it's "never fucking laying around". I know where this gun is 24/7. This gun was purchased in the wake of the Colorado Movie Theater shooting, and the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting after I had recently become a father. Not only would I die for my children, but I would also Kill for them. Apparently, you do not value your children as highly as I do, which is a shame.

I hope my gun is never used in the manner in which it is intended, but the world is a crazy place and i will never hesitate to protect my family.

This law abiding, licensed gun owner and supporter will see you in the PIT at both Philly shows. You can expect a middle finger on night one from me for your ignorance.

You sir, are a douchebag
    I don't know about that, but I hope he doesn't bring his gun to the Philly show! :P

Fuck, I'm not supposed to be posting here anymore! :leaving
  • Options
    kc007kc007 USA Posts: 282
    Nothing is as it seems.
    Allow me to whisper this through a megaphone...

Guns are the biggest illusion of 'freedom' known to mankind.

Think about that for a bit. I mean really think about it.
  • Options
    TyTy Posts: 1,007

Ed,

You are a full-blown fuckwit.
    PJ - Sydney 1998; Sydney 2003; Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle 2006; Melbourne, Sydney 2009; Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney 2014.
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney 2011; Sydney 2014.
  • Options
    Not for guns but he is using a dangerous weapon and I'm sure he's done it having a few Coronas. Just saying.[/quote]
    An ax isn't a weapon. It's a tool for cutting wood. People can also hurt other with their own feet, but that doesn't mean that feet should be compared to guns, come on. :roll: This kind of comparison has been done to death, and it never works.[/quote]

More people die from feet and axes than guns[/quote]
    Stats please.[/quote]

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/cr ... ta-table-8

In 2011, 9,878 people died in drunk driving crashes - one every 53 minutes

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration FARS data, 2012.

- See more at: http://www.madd.org/drunk-driving/about ... MX0o4.dpuf

In 2011 8,583 people were murdered by guns according to FBI stats

Now when you drive drunk, your foot pushes the peddle. Thus more people were killed by feet in 2011 than guns. That doesn't even count all the other ways people use their feet to kill.

I don't have anything solid on the axe claim. So I will retract that part because I'm too lazy to dig :D
  • Options
    My comment to the OP was moreabout giving Ed the middle finger at one of the shows. I hope he tells security to kick you out for being a douchebag.
    DC-9/24/96
    Philly-8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/3/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16
    Jones Beach-8/25/00
    PSU-5/3/03
    Irvine-6/2/03
    San Diego-6/5/03
    Hershey-7/12/03
    Reading-10/1/04
    The Gorge-9/1/05
    Vancouver-9/2/05
    AC-9/30/05
    E. Rutherford, NJ-6/1/06,6/3/06
    Bonnaroo-6/14/08
    VA Beach-6/17/08
    MSG-5/20/10,5/21/10
    Baltimore 10/27/13
  • Options
    dlymnflddlymnfld CT Posts: 917
    edited October 2013
    evsgjamm wrote:
    dlymnfld wrote:
    Being a Police Officer, the issue people have in my profession is that stricter gun laws just affect and punish the average law abiding citizen. Criminals get guns regardless and don't abide by any rules stricter or not. We always joke that there are some pretty strict laws on possessing coke, heroin and meth but the criminals seem to have no problem getting their hands on those "illegal" items. There are responsible gun owners out there, I come in contact with them all the time but I also see more criminals carrying non licensed illegal guns (usually with their heroin, coke and meth). IBTL

Boom! Thanks for posting this.

It sounds like we need to legalize heroin, coke, and meth then, right? People are getting it anyways, so why not legalize the shit. Seems like it could cut down on gun violence too...

If by "people" you mean "criminals" then yes. But those drugs destroy lives in any and every scenario. The use of guns (by responsible people) don't and their rights shouldn't be hindered just because criminals can get them so easily. My point is that I am a "responsible" gun owner and need a gun for work. But due to these new laws, I can't even go out and buy ammo to practice on my own and I only am supplied with ammo once a year through my work. I also can carry a certain magazine (number of rounds) at work but I can't buy the same magazine to practice with as that is illegal. Bad people will obtain bad things (drugs and illegal guns) regardless of what good people do, I am saying that making it more difficult for good people to obtain legal things is not right. But everyone is entitled to their opinion so I understand why some people don't like guns.
    Post edited by dlymnfld on
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    Key phrase of this statement:

""I get so angry that I almost wish bad things upon these people,"

Please relevate.
  • Options
  • Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    DevonPearl wrote:

Not to be a hippie, but trade guns with flowers... Make love not war etc. etc. etc. And lets face it, the first is much more fun than the latter.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    When american's finally decide to get rid of guns then it will be a saver country, why is a country so stuck on a piece of paper wrote 300 odd years ago, same with the loons who follow the bible word for word. Why like your life dedicated to old doctrine that suited a time and place. Does it not make sense to evaluate modern society and base laws on that.

it's called an amendment. there's 27 of them. and ireland is the the model of non-violence. I heard londonderry (or derry) has always been a quiet peaceful place.

Yea and they are draconian you are living by rules made 300 years ago, thats daft, It'a derry to man and using that as an example shows how little you know about the troubles. In the 40 years of war in the north 3000 people died compare that with america in 2012 where 10,078 people died via guns. The deaths by guns in ireland since we have had peace is double figures yearly so you tell me which country has matured, there was a political violent war here.
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    I like a good debate but all the OP has done here is stirred up a toilet clogged with hot, steamy shit; the kind that is only achieved after a night of drinking Genny Pounders. This thread needs to die so why don't we let it?
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    EarlWelsh wrote:
    I like a good debate but all the OP has done here is stirred up a toilet clogged with hot, steamy shit; the kind that is only achieved after a night of drinking Genny Pounders. This thread needs to die so why don't we let it?

Hahahaha, yes!!! I call it the old Wagner Power sprayer set to the hue of "hangover black."
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    EarlWelsh wrote:

Hahahaha, yes!!! I call it the old Wagner Power sprayer set to the hue of "hangover black."

Haha, genius and so fitting! Sweet name, by the way.
  • Options
    London BridgeLondon Bridge USA Posts: 4,733
    edited October 2013

Ed,

To say a non gun owning parent doesn't value their children as much as a gun owning parent is a really ignorant statement.
    Post edited by London Bridge on
This discussion has been closed.