Options

Dear Ed, There is a such thing as a Responsible Gun Owner...

Comments

• Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,026
    This law abiding, licensed gun owner and supporter will see you in the PIT at both Philly shows. You can expect a middle finger on night one from me for your ignorance.

Hopefully you can expect to not have your 10c tickets waiting for you at will call.
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    JBiiJBii Lake Spivey Posts: 354
    hey Op just thought you might want a heads up, this is how people disappear and are never heard from again
    around these parts.How many gun supporters are missing from here as of late? Speaking your mind dangerous stuff.
    Responsible doesn't matter to these folks. Ed must have just incurred a bunch of bad karma with that statement,
    well if anyone was listening. :lol: In the real world just not so much. Kudos for you for being brave enough to speak out, to protect your family and bright enough to see the difference between the responsible and irresponsible.

Have good times at the concerts we won't be partaking. Flip one for me but that would still be a thumbs up for the music just not for us anymore.
    That what you fear the most could meet you halfway
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,939
    Its been a great way to thin out the gun nuts from the fanbase - thanks Ed :lol: Tbh, Im amazed there are any in the fanbase to begin with.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I coached this kid. Good kid. 12 years old, went to a friend's house for a sleepover.

the friend, being more cunning than his parents were aware, knew how to get to the gun and ammo and they decided to play with the gun

the kid I coached ended up taking a bullet in the forehead

really, fuck guns.
  • Options
    JBii wrote:
    hey Op just thought you might want a heads up, this is how people disappear and are never heard from again
    around these parts.How many gun supporters are missing from here as of late? Speaking your mind dangerous stuff.
    Responsible doesn't matter to these folks. Ed must have just incurred a bunch of bad karma with that statement,
    well if anyone was listening. :lol: In the real world just not so much. Kudos for you for being brave enough to speak out, to protect your family and bright enough to see the difference between the responsible and irresponsible.

Have good times at the concerts we won't be partaking. Flip one for me but that would still be a thumbs up for the music just not for us anymore.

So if I want to see responsible gun legislation that keeps guns out of the hands of the irresponsible, I am not bright?
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    OP: re-read the article and actually try to comprehend where his vitriol is aimed. Gun owners are not his target. Legislators who constantly drag their feet and refuse to do anything about lax mental health and background check laws are the problem. When a major incident, like Newtown, occurs they just wait out the outrage until the next big news story comes along and people forget about it.

You can't possibly be against stricter gun control laws, right?
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Hang on, is this for real?? "Roughly nine in 10 Americans (91%) say they would vote for a law requiring criminal background checks for all U.S. gun purchasers."

Does this mean that currently there AREN'T criminal background checks for anyone wanting to buy a gun? :shock:

Sorry I find that quite alarming. No wonder the gun crime rate there is through the roof! You'd never get that in the UK..!

There are a few stages of background checks needed to obtain a gun, in Illinois at least. First, when you apply for Firearm Owner's card, then when you go to purchase a gun.
  • Options
    mrk2 wrote:
    This law abiding, licensed gun owner and supporter will see you in the PIT at both Philly shows. You can expect a middle finger on night one from me for your ignorance.

Hopefully you can expect to not have your 10c tickets waiting for you at will call.

^^^^ This! Hopefully 10 club revokes your tickets. Don't ruin the shows for everyone else.
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    mrk2 wrote:

^^^^ This! Hopefully 10 club revokes your tickets. Don't ruin the shows for everyone else.

You people are ridiculous. This guy disagrees with EV and deserves to have his 10c tickets taken away? How dare anyone disagrees with the almighty EV!!! Give me a fucking break.
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    oh my...
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    You people are ridiculous. This guy disagrees with EV and deserves to have his 10c tickets taken away? How dare anyone disagrees with the almighty EV!!! Give me a fucking break.

A) I agree that taking his tickets away is not an option
    but
    B) The fact that this guy is lashing out against something Ed said, even though he totally misinterpreted the article, and then like a little kid throwing a tantrum says he is going to flip off Ed at the Philly shows...what is this, recess in 3rd grade?
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    In response to this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/0 ... 59887.html

Apparently, you do not value your children as highly as I do, which is a shame.

I just read this first post and didnt go through the 7 pages of this debate. its your choice to do what you want in order to protect your family.

BUT your last comment is terrible by any parent standard. I believe this statement to be one of the worst things i ever read. If you retracted it through out the thread please disregard my thoughts.

But man c'mon, we all would do anything to protect our kids.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Humans didn't evolve and adapt with such a lethal tool. As such many humans can't handle the psychological power of a gun, hence the problem we have in the US. I am for right to own just know lots of humans will perish because of it.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    It still amazes me (as it does for a large part of the world outside the US) that people think increasing the number of guns in the public hands will actually make the country safer. Defies logic, common sense and the mathematic properties of probability :?

In a vacuum, you may be right, but since guns are already a widespread issue, it's not so cut and dry. I don't know all the statistics bit by bit, but several of the cities and states with stricter gun laws have much higher violent crime rates than places where it's easier for the people, who went through the proper steps, to own and carry guns.

I think arguments on both sides are often unreasonable(well regulated militia on one side, if one person dies it's too many on the other), and both sides put way to much effort into fear mongering. It's a pretty complex situation and nothing will ever be decided til both sides come together and can debate without it becoming a pissing match.

The legislators that are putting all the laws into place are all pretty much useless and have sold their stances on everything to the highest bidder, so EV pointing out the gun issue seems a little inflammatory. The op definitely took it way over the line with his stance.
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    why when did the Porch become the Moving train?

i think this should be moved so that all the same people can continue to talk about this article.
  • Options
    kc007kc007 USA Posts: 282
    edited October 2013
    BinFrog wrote:

but
    B) The fact that this guy is lashing out against something Ed said, even though he totally misinterpreted the article, and then like a little kid throwing a tantrum says he is going to flip off Ed at the Philly shows...what is this, recess in 3rd grade?
    ^^this^^

Going to a show with the intent to flip the lead singer of the band off with the middle finger, possibly invoke strife among the surrounding fans (many of who will be drinking) is a disaster waiting to happen, especially in the GA area.

People need to mind their manners. OP has a gun. Big deal for him, I suppose. How dare anyone else not want someone to start trouble at a show. My issue is not that OP has a gun or disagrees with EV, but that he starts a thread stating his intent to be hurtful with sign language to someone who will be on stage performing. I for one just want to go to my shows, have fun and not make every little thing someone says into a political shit storm. I've spent too much money on air travel, hotels and tickets for people to take their anger over gun rights or any other hot topic to the shows. Stay home and clean your guns if you can't manage your anger.

:roll:
    Post edited by kc007 on
  • Options
    THE LOOKTHE LOOK Posts: 324
    Can't we all just get along?

FYI...the police show up after the fact! I believe in the right to bear arms.

As long as their is some sort of due process. Not everyone drinks from the same cup as EV.
    Bigfoot is blurry.
    - Mitch Hedberg
  • Options
    It appears that many who have read the article(s) can't even comprehend the context to which it was written before they comment. So how does that translate to the trigger? shoot first ask questions later?

:corn:
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    BinFrog wrote:

but

Agreed...his reaction wasn't the best and saying he's going to flip off Ed is pretty juvenile. But people saying that his 10c tickets be revoked is just pure nonsense.
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    fife wrote:
    why when did the Porch become the Moving train?

i think this should be moved so that all the same people can continue to talk about this article.

yup lets get back to LB! 8-)
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    bchagnonbchagnon Posts: 164
    Does anyone else find it ironic that the OP's name is a lyric from a song about a guy who kills hookers with his concealed weapon?

"Backstreet lover on the side of the road, I gotta bomb in my temple and it's gonna explode, I gotta sixteen gauge buried under my clothes, I play."

"Indian summer and I hate the heat, I gotta backstreet lover in the passenger seat, I got my hand in my pocket so determined, discreet, I pray."

:wtf:

"Leave it to me as I find a way to be.
    Consider me a satellite forever orbiting.
    I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me.
    Guaranteed."
  • Options
    rbrum7rbrum7 Posts: 976
    I'm not debating the stance on the issue, I understand its a hot topic. I take offense to Ed wishing harm on gun supporters. That's just bad karma.

Dude...To me you sound like a typical Repub. You all just hear and think what you want and pay no attention to what is really going on around you. You say Ed wishes "harm" on gun supporters. Completely not true, he said he almost wishes "bad things".

Harm insinuates physical harm. Bad things could be anything from blowing out the tire on your car to someone pissing in your Cheerios.

You seem overly dramatic and unable to see exactly what's in front of you (in this case print), so you're the last person I would want owning a gun.

This last comment is not directed at you, but instead all gun owners...Gun's are for pussies.
    Cleveland, OH - 8/26/98
    Cleveland, OH - 4/25/03
    Cleveland, OH - 5/20/06
    Cleveland, OH - 5/9/10
    (EV Solo) Detroit, MI - 6/26/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/3/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/4/11
    Chicago, IL - 7/19/13
    Shitsburgh, PA - 10/11/13
    Los Angeles, CA - 11/23/13
    Los Angeles, CA - 11/23/13
    Detroit, MI - 10/16/14
    Lexington, KY - 4/26/16
    Manchester, TN - 6/11/16
    Chicago, IL - 8/18/18
    Chicago, IL - 8/20/18
    (EV Solo) Tempe, AZ - 3/2/19
    Los Angeles, CA - 4/15/20 (Canceled)
    Los Angeles, CA - 4/16/20 (Canceled)
    Indianapolis, IN - 9/10/23 (Canceled)
  • Options
    bchagnon wrote:
    Does anyone else find it ironic that the OP's name is a lyric from a song about a guy who kills hookers with his concealed weapon?

"Backstreet lover on the side of the road, I gotta bomb in my temple and it's gonna explode, I gotta sixteen gauge buried under my clothes, I play."

"Indian summer and I hate the heat, I gotta backstreet lover in the passenger seat, I got my hand in my pocket so determined, discreet, I pray."

:wtf:
    :shock:
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,343
    What this "responsible" gun owner doesn't get is that often times the guns are locked away or hidden. But children are always very curious and not stupid! they can find the hidden gun or the key. It happens all the time!!! Take it from someone that almost shot his sister when I was a child!!!! I still think about that every day. Happened 22 years ago!
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Just a couple takes on this issue.

Jeff spends a lot of time in Rural Montana.Do you really think he isn't a gun owner??
    Regardless of your stance on this issue.You as a citizen have the right to own a gun or not own one.Your choice. what works for you is all that matters.People should respect this on both sides.Be responsible both in support or opposition to the gun debate.There is no broad right answer here.Live and let live people and let your voice be heard either way.
  • Options
    bootlegbootleg Posts: 506
    Wow, just completely missing the whole context of what Ed was talking about there. He didn't almost wish harm on gun owners. He almost wished harm on the individuals who try to block any discussion whatsoever on how we can go about making sure we distribute guns in the safest way possible (ie background checks and what not)

Lets hope you have better interpretation skills when evaluating what is and isn't a threatening situation.
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,343
    edited October 2013
    rr165892 wrote:
    Just a couple takes on this issue.

Jeff spends a lot of time in Rural Montana.Do you really think he isn't a gun owner??
    Regardless of your stance on this issue.You as a citizen have the right to own a gun or not own one.Your choice. what works for you is all that matters.People should respect this on both sides.Be responsible both in support or opposition to the gun debate.There is no broad right answer here.Live and let live people and let your voice be heard either way.
    . Jeff doesn't own a gun he owns a skateboard. Why would he need a gun in rural Montana? He doesnt hunt. Because of the high crime rate???
    Post edited by primussucks on
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    dlymnflddlymnfld CT Posts: 917
    Being a Police Officer, the issue people have in my profession is that stricter gun laws just affect and punish the average law abiding citizen. Criminals get guns regardless and don't abide by any rules stricter or not. We always joke that there are some pretty strict laws on possessing coke, heroin and meth but the criminals seem to have no problem getting their hands on those "illegal" items. There are responsible gun owners out there, I come in contact with them all the time but I also see more criminals carrying non licensed illegal guns (usually with their heroin, coke and meth). IBTL
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • Options
    You missed the word 'almost' in the interview...
    Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the Universe...
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,077
    edited October 2013
    In response to this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/0 ... 59887.html

Ed,

While I fully support your use of freedom of speech over the years, your statement in this interview is of pure ignorance. I'm not going to debate gun control or the politics around it, its your choice to not own a gun and I fully support that. But to wish harm on gun control opponents? I hope karma takes a big bite out of your ass on that comment alone.

I own and legally conceal carry 1 handgun. I do not hunt, it is not used for sport, it is simply for the protection of my family. My gun is never seen by my children, and it's "never fucking laying around". I know where this gun is 24/7. This gun was purchased in the wake of the Colorado Movie Theater shooting, and the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting after I had recently become a father. Not only would I die for my children, but I would also Kill for them. Apparently, you do not value your children as highly as I do, which is a shame.

I hope my gun is never used in the manner in which it is intended, but the world is a crazy place and i will never hesitate to protect my family.

Ed's statement is of pure ignorance but saying you value your children more because you have a fucking gun isn't?!?!? So do I not value my children as highly as you because I hate guns and don't own one?
    Post edited by Abe Froman on
This discussion has been closed.