Options

Dear Ed, There is a such thing as a Responsible Gun Owner...

Comments

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,149
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    When american's finally decide to get rid of guns then it will be a saver country, why is a country so stuck on a piece of paper wrote 300 odd years ago, same with the loons who follow the bible word for word. Why like your life dedicated to old doctrine that suited a time and place. Does it not make sense to evaluate modern society and base laws on that.

it's called an amendment. there's 27 of them. and ireland is the the model of non-violence. I heard londonderry (or derry) has always been a quiet peaceful place.

Yea and they are draconian you are living by rules made 300 years ago, thats daft, It'a derry to man and using that as an example shows how little you know about the troubles. In the 40 years of war in the north 3000 people died compare that with america in 2012 where 10,078 people died via guns. The deaths by guns in ireland since we have had peace is double figures yearly so you tell me which country has matured, there was a political violent war here.

Dude Ireland has like 4.5 million people in it. The us has around 315 million I think. Ireland is our toenail. You can't compare anything from Ireland to the us, sorry.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    edited October 2013
    Double Post
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    One comment on hunters: They're not sportsman. You ever that term? Sportsman. Peyton Manning is a sportsman. You're shooting animals is what you're doing. And that's fine with me. My buddy kills deer all the time and serves us up the dear meat on football Sundays and it's delicious. And the less deer there are to run out in the middle of the road while I'm driving the better. But it's not a sport. If the deer had a gun too, that'd be a sport. A bunch of hunters in the woods shooting at each other....that'd be a sport. But shooting animals is just that: shooting animals. It's not a sport.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    One comment on hunters: They're not sportsman. You ever that phrase? Sportsman. Peyton Manning is a sportsman. You're shooting animals is what you're doing. And that's fine with me. My buddy kills deer all the time and serves us up the dear meat on football Sundays and it's delicious. And the less deer there are to run out in the middle of the road while I'm driving the better. But it's not a sport. If the deer had a gun too, that'd be a sport. A bunch of hunters in the woods shooting at each other....that'd be a sport. But shooting animals is just that: shooting animals. It's not a sport.

Truth.
  • Options
    Pittsburgh Set List just got announced:

Glorified G
    Interstellar Overdrive/Glorified G
    Glorified G
    Glorified G
    Glorified G
    Glorified G
    Glorified G/Modern Girl
    Glorified G
    Glorified G
    Dirty Frank
    Glorified G
    Glorified G
    Glorified G/Another Brick in the Wall
    Glorified G
    Glorified G
    Glorified G
    Glorified G

Encore
    Glorified G
    Glorified G
    Sleeping By Myself
    Glorified G

Encore 2
    Glorified G
    Glorified G/Star-Spangled Banner
  • Options
    Do scared people by guns or do guns create scared people? Every argument I read/hear, gun owners always state the gun is for protection. Protection from what? The British? Home invaders? The Taliban? What's with this fear mongering mentality in the United States? I'm not opposed to guns; I actually think they're pretty cool. I'd love to be a WW2 gun collector, but I don't have the money. I just don't understand this whole 'protection' argument, probably because I don't fully believe it. Deep down, I believe people own guns because it makes them feel like a 'big guy'; except no one will admit to that so they hide behind the 'protection' line to sound less aggressive.

this comment bears repeating.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    One comment on hunters: They're not sportsman. You ever that term? Sportsman. Peyton Manning is a sportsman. You're shooting animals is what you're doing. And that's fine with me. My buddy kills deer all the time and serves us up the dear meat on football Sundays and it's delicious. And the less deer there are to run out in the middle of the road while I'm driving the better. But it's not a sport. If the deer had a gun too, that'd be a sport. A bunch of hunters in the woods shooting at each other....that'd be a sport. But shooting animals is just that: shooting animals. It's not a sport.

:clap:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    lcusicklcusick Posts: 310
    DevonPearl wrote:

Not to be a hippie, but trade guns with flowers... Make love not war etc. etc. etc. And lets face it, the first is much more fun than the latter.

+1
  • Options
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    When american's finally decide to get rid of guns then it will be a saver country, why is a country so stuck on a piece of paper wrote 300 odd years ago, same with the loons who follow the bible word for word. Why like your life dedicated to old doctrine that suited a time and place. Does it not make sense to evaluate modern society and base laws on that.

it's called an amendment. there's 27 of them. and ireland is the the model of non-violence. I heard londonderry (or derry) has always been a quiet peaceful place.

Yea and they are draconian you are living by rules made 300 years ago, thats daft, It'a derry to man and using that as an example shows how little you know about the troubles. In the 40 years of war in the north 3000 people died compare that with america in 2012 where 10,078 people died via guns. The deaths by guns in ireland since we have had peace is double figures yearly so you tell me which country has matured, there was a political violent war here.

Dude Ireland has like 4.5 million people in it. The us has around 315 million I think. Ireland is our toenail. You can't compare anything from Ireland to the us, sorry.[/quote]

Ireland is 'your' nothing for a start you don't claim ownership on it, I was relying to a posted who said Ireland was a violent place it was only violent due to a war since that has stopped there has been very few gun deaths yearly
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111

We once had a long debate about what constitutes a sport and I agree there needs to a more competitive element based on an individual's skill. Neither is fishing is what we agreed upon. But couldn't come to an agreement as far as race car driving and bowling.

I loved Ed's statement as I live in the city and worked in the criminal justice system, but I could see why people that live in the country might be offended. There's just way too much gun violence in the cities now is all and he's a deep person that is concerned about all lives. The other side has said & done far worse.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412

Peyton Manning is an athlete and a sportsman.

When people say "sportsmen" they are using it appropriately, going by the definition of sport, which is nothing more than a recreational activity.

Not sure where or when the term started referring to hunters/fisherman, but I'd guess it probably started with target shooters.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,500
    Whywhyzed wrote:
    I can't believe i'm posting in this thread (ibtl?) but I'm pretty sure Ed was talking about the legislators who are steadfastly blocking any discussion of gun legislation despite the overwhelming support for it in the general public. Not Joe Schmoe with his pistol under his pillow "for protection".

agreed. ed knows there are responsible gun owners. he and I have a problem with the NRA and the dipshits who think an assault weapons ban = obama and the liberals want to take (all) our guns away.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,263
    DewieCox wrote:

Peyton Manning is an athlete and a sportsman.

When people say "sportsmen" they are using it appropriately, going by the definition of sport, which is nothing more than a recreational activity.

DewieCox is correct. Hunters are not athletes, but they are sportsmen.

I kind of feel that hunting is a separate issue from the rest of the gun discussion happening here (on the Porch?!?). It's something of a cultural thing, meaning if you have grown up with it, it's not a big deal. My husband and I both grew up in areas where the first day of bow season and the first day of deer (gun) season were school holidays. I'm not keen on hunting myself, but it serves a purpose.

I live in rural New Jersey. We joke that all of the smart deer moved here from Pennsylvania, because of the difference in gun laws. In our area, there are more deer than humans. Here's the thing: when you have too many deer, you have a problem. Deer are like giant, four-legged, tick-ridden locusts. They will eat anything except barberry -- there is no such thing as a deer-proof plant where we live. They have no fear of humans; I go for a run in my neighborhood and the deer stand by the side of the road trying to stare me down. I've seen bucks in the fall walk right up to people out doing yardwork(!). We regularly have 12-15 deer camped out in our yard, destroying everything they can reach. And then there are the car accidents and the ticks.

Growing up in areas where hunting was popular, my husband and I never saw such herds of deer, but where we live in New Jersey, deer are more common than squirrels.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    McNairnMcNairn Posts: 284
    We have a mere 35 million people up here in Canada. In my 43 years I have never even seen a real handgun, nor known anyone who has been shot even accidentally by a gun.
    We don't have homes broken into by gun robbers, and I literally NEVER even THINK about the possibility of anyone I ever see posessing a gun while I am anywhere in my entire country.
    I am not the least bit threatened in my home or tempted in any way to get a gun to protect myself or my family.
    I have shot a rifle and a pellet gun and have nothing against these or against hunting for meat.
    I am just saying that having no handguns or assault rifles around is a good way to live and doesn't lead to anarchy.
    You guys should seriously consider it.
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,778
    C'mon IS, you HAVE been here a long time, you know Ed doesn't wish harm.

Ugh
  • Options
    I agree with the OP

Hey Ed.... is it ok for your bodyguard to have a gun but not me?
    "Music's at its best when it has a purpose." EV
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    Cropsmoker wrote:
    I agree with the OP

Then you have also misinterpreted what Ed is saying.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,593
    edited October 2013
    McNairn wrote:
    We have a mere 35 million people up here in Canada. In my 43 years I have never even seen a real handgun, nor known anyone who has been shot even accidentally by a gun.
    We don't have homes broken into by gun robbers, and I literally NEVER even THINK about the possibility of anyone I ever see posessing a gun while I am anywhere in my entire country.
    I am not the least bit threatened in my home or tempted in any way to get a gun to protect myself or my family.
    I have shot a rifle and a pellet gun and have nothing against these or against hunting for meat.
    I am just saying that having no handguns or assault rifles around is a good way to live and doesn't lead to anarchy.
    Definitely my experience in Canada as well. I did see someone with a handgun once at a camping ground, but everyone was completely horrified. The guy who had it was a complete pariah, and everyone was scared of him because most people here who are safe and sane don't have them (he was also weird).... most people who aren't sane and safe don't have them either! it's just an completely different mindset up here.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,907
    it's called an amendment. there's 27 of them. and ireland is the the model of non-violence. I heard londonderry (or derry) has always been a quiet peaceful place.[/quote]

Yea and they are draconian you are living by rules made 300 years ago, thats daft, It'a derry to man and using that as an example shows how little you know about the troubles. In the 40 years of war in the north 3000 people died compare that with america in 2012 where 10,078 people died via guns. The deaths by guns in ireland since we have had peace is double figures yearly so you tell me which country has matured, there was a political violent war here.[/quote]

you realize we live in a country of more than 300 million people. no system of back ground checks or flags can be perfect. no matter what, people who shouldn't have guns get them. it's the 1% that ruin it for the rest of us.

So the United States lives by a document that was created in the late 1700's...it's not perfect but it is a living breathing document that can be changed as time progresses. I couldn't be prouder of the freedoms we have in this country. When is the last time the world looked upon the leadership of Ireland to lead through any sort of crisis? You might not like our laws and our constitution but be it republican or democrat, we have the greatest country in the world. People are jealous of it and die to try to get here.

and derry is officialy Londonderry. We both know it's officially in northern ireland. Trust me, I know about the "troubles" that occured in Ireland. I guess the troubles are over huh? http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/eur ... story.html
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    McNairn wrote:
    Definitely my experience in Canada as well. I did see someone with a handgun once at a camping ground, but everyone was completely horrified. The guy who had it was a complete pariah, and everyone was scared of him because most people here who are safe and sane don't have them (he was also weird).... most people who aren't sane and safe don't have them either! it's just an completely different mindset up here.

I have buddies who hunt. they have rifles. I don't know anyone with a handgun. Nor have I even ever seen one in person. I have no fear of encountering someone with a handgun. Darwin forbid a semi-automatic. It just doesn't happen up here. One friend of mine was stabbed once. But I've never seen a gun.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    People are jealous of it and die to try to get here.

Settle down.
  • Options
    JK109224JK109224 Posts: 564
    This law abiding, licensed gun owner and supporter will see you in the PIT at both Philly shows. You can expect a middle finger on night one from me for your ignorance.

I'm sure Ed would flip one back.
    Come to send, not condescend...
  • Options
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    People are jealous of it and die to try to get here.

Settle down.

no shit.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 782
    the flipping the bird is flat out uncalled for. Ed and the boys are up their busting their asses off, giving 110% the entire night. No need to be disrespectful and give a finger gesture because of your anger issues. :thumbdown:
  • Options
    TT8270TT8270 Posts: 429
    Your whole attitude "I'm buying these guns to protect my family" is pretty f**ked up and wrong. The more you buy them for protection, the more innocent bystanders get killed.
    134xxx
    Soundgarden - 1996-10-15
    Pearl Jam - 2000-06-30
    Fugazi - 2000-10-10
    The Mars Volta - 2003-03-24
  • Options
    teskeincteskeinc Posts: 836
    Way more people die from smoking (uhem , Ed) then guns each year. Plus you're harming other people and the environment polluting the air I breathe. But hey, that's OK, right.

Im no gun owner, but stupid people do stupid things. If you smoke, youre stupid. How many people stand up and say?, "I want to thank God for this Nobel Peace Prize, but really I owe it all to the Marlboro Man and his cigarettes, without smoking I would have been nowhere." Is there a health benefit from smoking?

Our constitution allows guns. Im for tougher gun laws, but no law is gonna stop brotha man from buying his gun in the hood. Or using it either. No one wants school massacre or kids shot, but if someone wants to do it, they will find a gun whether its at Wal Mart or on the streets.

(Sorry, nothing personal to all you smokers here)
    1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

• Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    you realize we live in a country of more than 300 million people. no system of back ground checks or flags can be perfect. no matter what, people who shouldn't have guns get them. it's the 1% that ruin it for the rest of us.

So the United States lives by a document that was created in the late 1700's...it's not perfect but it is a living breathing document that can be changed as time progresses. I couldn't be prouder of the freedoms we have in this country. When is the last time the world looked upon the leadership of Ireland to lead through any sort of crisis? You might not like our laws and our constitution but be it republican or democrat, we have the greatest country in the world. People are jealous of it and die to try to get here.

and derry is officialy Londonderry. We both know it's officially in northern ireland. Trust me, I know about the "troubles" that occured in Ireland. I guess the troubles are over huh? http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/eur ... story.html[/quote]

- so does that mean that you shouldn't have any.

- is it always the 1%? or is it the culture that produces them?

- now this is where size comes in to play, people look to america for solutions because it is powerful, not necessarily because it is better than anyother country.

-some people would die to get here, just like a lot of people would die to get to western europe. this point also depends on what you define as great. if you mean its most powerful country, then sure yeah. but if you mean its the best place to raise a family. to grow old, etc then you are wrong
  • Options
    mcgruff10 wrote:

Yea and they are draconian you are living by rules made 300 years ago, thats daft, It'a derry to man and using that as an example shows how little you know about the troubles. In the 40 years of war in the north 3000 people died compare that with america in 2012 where 10,078 people died via guns. The deaths by guns in ireland since we have had peace is double figures yearly so you tell me which country has matured, there was a political violent war here.[/quote]

and derry is officialy Londonderry. We both know it's officially in northern ireland. Trust me, I know about the "troubles" that occured in Ireland. I guess the troubles are over huh? http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/eur ... story.html[/quote]

You sound very insular. A lot of the world do not view the US as the greatest country in the world, I am very pleased you are proud of your country and I have enjoyed my time whenever I have visited but it is only your opinion that it is the greatest country in the world.

Back to the topic, may I ask what is the need for automatic and semi automatic weapons in the us?
    Also may I ask if other countries have tightened their gun laws and seen a reduction in gun deaths, why do people think that a similar result would not be achieved in the US?

A large portion of the world really do not understand how the US can continue to have the gun problems that it does and not do something about it.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 wrote:

Thing is you country lives in fear you think you have freedoms, you can't even have 'happy christmas' you change it to happy holidays. Ireland is neutral we do not participate in wars unlike america who start wars invade countires and murder children in Pakistan with drone strikes, we look upon you as the bully of the world and you sound like the typical brianwashed flag waving yank that spews the line 'we are the greatest country in the world' I would not be proud of a country that treat your sick the way it does and doesn't offer free healthcare.
    Again I don't think you know anything about the war here, I call it derry it was the british who added the london part to it why would I recognize an additive by them, yes the war is over the IRA have got rid of their weapons there are a few people who don't want to move on but again I'll stress killings by guns here is extremely low unlike the US last year 12,078 yea that's a great number to be proud of.
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    EarlWelsh wrote:
    Cropsmoker wrote:
    I agree with the OP

Then you have also misinterpreted what Ed is saying.

I am amazed at how much this theme pervades this thread.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
This discussion has been closed.