Options

Dear Ed, There is a such thing as a Responsible Gun Owner...

Comments

• Options
    fugawzifugawzi Posts: 879
    edited October 2013
    Wow. Nevermind the fact that this thread belongs in the moving train forum. Or that telling Ed you'll be in the Pit almost sounds like a threat. This is just a ridiculous post I'm sorry. No personal attacks intended but I just don't understand how anyone who calls themselves "responsible" can say they are against common sense gun control measures.

Ed was referring to the fact that there's a 90% consensus in this country that is for expanded background checks on gun sales, but that there can't be any legislation supporting it due to an obstructionist faction (NRA) in our political system, so that is very frustrating. Ed is RIGHT and roughly 90% of people in this country agree with him, including myself. Anyone who takes this as a personal attack against them as a "responsible" gun owner is just plain wrong and only contributing to the divisive tactics employed by the gun nuts in this country. And anyone who denies that we as a country have a gun problem, or that we ARE the gun country is WRONG.

One of my best friends was directly affected by gun violence. His mother in law was murdered in cold blood simply because she was Jewish. She was the first of 5 people killed by a racially motivated scumbag who went on a killing spree with a gun. This was 13 years ago. Imagine the number of people killed by gun violence since then.

I detest politicians who have no backbone, cave to the NRA and allow this obscene epidemic to continue. That's who Ed was referring to so stop inserting yourself and acting like some sort of victim. I DO wish bad things on them there's no almost about it. Thank god people like Ed have the balls to speak up about shit like this, obviously it needs said.
    Post edited by fugawzi on
    West Palm 2000 I & II/West Palm '03/Tampa '03/Kissimmee '04/Vic Theater '07/West Palm '08/Tampa '08/NYC MSG I & II '08/Philly Spectrum III & IV '09/Cleveland '10/Bristow '10/PJ20 I & II 2011/Pensacola '12/Pittsburgh '13/Denver '14
  • Options
    achardingacharding Posts: 359
    Oh Lordy....I just hope he doesn't talk about this in Texas!! I'm all for spirited debate, just not when I am in a crowd of 20,000
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    brianlux wrote:
    It's an American disaster. I just recently visited here with a good friend from Germany. He heard neighbors not too far from my house target practicing (a habit that totally unnerves me and my cat) and could believe it when I told him a) how many American's own guns, b) that they are actually allowed to freely shoot them any time (outside city limits) and c) how easy they are to obtain here. Not so in Germany- none of this nonsense goes on there.

And please spare me the "So why don't you move to Germany?" thing.

agreed. this whole gun thing is completely beyond anyone not from the US it seems. a lot of people actually ask me if I'm not afraid to go to the US cause every idiot can get a gun there :lol: - which is an overreaction of course, but it shows how alien this gun deal is to the rest of the world.
  • Options
    american's gun culture is disgusting. i'm glad i don't live there. eddie's totally right.
  • Options
    adamdude wrote:
    american's gun culture is disgusting. i'm glad i don't live there. eddie's totally right.
    As someone who lives in California thankfully where I live - well at least in the large part of the areas all around me - people are generally down to earth and reasonable about the whole gun culture thing, although it is indeed a nationwide issue. Ed was right on this one

Although let me just say that every time I have been down South, not to stereotype or put down the people who live there, but the gun culture (and just a general cultural mindset) is a lot different... let's just say I am happy out in Cali
  • Options
    Dirty FrankkDirty Frankk Posts: 4,274

This law abiding, licensed gun owner and supporter will see you in the PIT at both Philly shows. You can expect a middle finger on night one from me for your ignorance.
    where_every_day_abbreviations_actually_come_from_10.gif

this^

and Mr. Indian you can stick you gun up your ass too
    CAN'T KEEP CRAZY MARY IN MY TREE NO WAY NOT FOR YOU. ALL THOSE YESTERDAY JEREMY is ALONE, SAD with RATS & BUGS it's HARD TO IMAGINE a JEREMY a BETTER MAN.
    LIFE WASTED, BLOOD on the PORCH, LAST KISS is a WISHLIST DEEP DOWN NOTHING AS IT SEEMS WHY GO COME BACK ALIVE SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE and SMILE.
  • Options
    lol, indian summer thinks carrying a concealed weapon is not a problem and then proceeds to call everyone else ignorant. surely he jests.
  • Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    Come on, guys, give the OP a break. His gun will be there to protect him and his family when the British invade.

SEND THOSE WARNING SHOTS AND BELLS!
  • Options
    I NEED TO HAF A WEAPON COS OTHER PEOPLE HAVE WEAPONS THATS WHY WEAPONS ARE GUD YALL. :fp:
  • Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    I love that Ed puts himself out there on topics such as this. It is clearly an issue in this country and the nra freaks that refuse to realize this need a wake up call of some sort. But what will it take? There have been so many tragic horrific events already. And if these comments from Ed alienate any gun nuts from the 10C or PJ shows i say good riddance.
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,936
    adamdude wrote:
    As someone who lives in California thankfully where I live - well at least in the large part of the areas all around me - people are generally down to earth and reasonable about the whole gun culture thing, although it is indeed a nationwide issue. Ed was right on this one

Although let me just say that every time I have been down South, not to stereotype or put down the people who live there, but the gun culture (and just a general cultural mindset) is a lot different... let's just say I am happy out in Cali

Oh how I miss those parts of this, my home state! Rural counties are not so cool that way. :(
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    In response to this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/0 ... 59887.html

Ed,

While I fully support your use of freedom of speech over the years, your statement in this interview is of pure ignorance. I'm not going to debate gun control or the politics around it, its your choice to not own a gun and I fully support that. But to wish harm on gun control opponents? I hope karma takes a big bite out of your ass on that comment alone.

He didn't actually mean it you know. He said it out of anger and frustration. After seeing all sorts of gun-related massacres such as Sandy hook and that naval base and all the other gun murder stories in the press, including 4 year olds getting shot, then seeing nothing being done about it in terms of legislation due to the stranglehold the NRA lobby has over the issue, I don't blame him for being angry and frustrated. He is a father after all.
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,984
    Cool for both sides to say their piece - Ed probably knew that his comment would spark debate, its one way to get people talking about the issue. If kids blasting away at each other wasn't enough to do that then maybe an old 90s grunge singer can..?

Increase the peace!
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,522

Ed,

While I fully support your use of freedom of speech over the years, your statement in this interview is of pure ignorance. I'm not going to debate gun control or the politics around it, its your choice to not own a gun and I fully support that. But to wish harm on gun control opponents? I hope karma takes a big bite out of your ass on that comment alone.

I own and legally conceal carry 1 handgun. I do not hunt, it is not used for sport, it is simply for the protection of my family. My gun is never seen by my children, and it's "never fucking laying around". I know where this gun is 24/7. This gun was purchased in the wake of the Colorado Movie Theater shooting, and the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting after I had recently become a father. Not only would I die for my children, but I would also Kill for them. Apparently, you do not value your children as highly as I do, which is a shame.

I hope my gun is never used in the manner in which it is intended, but the world is a crazy place and i will never hesitate to protect my family.

This law abiding, licensed gun owner and supporter will see you in the PIT at both Philly shows. You can expect a middle finger on night one from me for your ignorance.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Rossum20 wrote:
    Rossum20 wrote:

No offense, but did you even read the article, or did you quickly look at the title and base your ramblings on that? He has beef with the elected officials who are not representing the 90% of Americans who are in support of common sense gun laws. Not to mention he said "almost".

I would like to know where his 90% figure came from also, but that is neither here nor there.

It's old news.

http://pollingmatters.gallup.com/2013/0 ... asure.html

Hang on, is this for real?? "Roughly nine in 10 Americans (91%) say they would vote for a law requiring criminal background checks for all U.S. gun purchasers."

Does this mean that currently there AREN'T criminal background checks for anyone wanting to buy a gun? :shock:

Sorry I find that quite alarming. No wonder the gun crime rate there is through the roof! You'd never get that in the UK..!
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• Options
    clashmanclashman Posts: 320
    shortstack wrote:
    :crazy:

nuff said.
  • Options

Ed,

I own and legally conceal carry 1 handgun. I do not hunt, it is not used for sport, it is simply for the protection of my family. My gun is never seen by my children, and it's "never fucking laying around". I know where this gun is 24/7. This gun was purchased in the wake of the Colorado Movie Theater shooting, and the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting after I had recently become a father. Not only would I die for my children, but I would also Kill for them. Apparently, you do not value your children as highly as I do, which is a shame.

I hope my gun is never used in the manner in which it is intended, but the world is a crazy place and i will never hesitate to protect my family.

Brilliant post. Possibly the funniest I've read on here in sometime.
    So you are gonna go to the show and give EV the middle finger?
    Why not give your ticket to someone who might show a bit of respect.

We are all entitled to our opinions but paying money to heckle or flip off a band member is about as dumb as gun nuts thinking protection comes from carrying MORE GUNS. Nation of fear mate, thats what you are living in.
    Sealed vinyl is bad vinyl.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2006 Jools Holland, London / Reading festival
    2007 Wmbly London
    2009 SBE London / O2 London
    2012 MEN 1/ MEN 2 / Berlin 1 / Berlin 2 / EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2013 NY 1/ NY 2 / Philly 1 / Philly 2
    2014 AMS 1 / AMS 2 / Leeds / MK
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • Options
    It still amazes me (as it does for a large part of the world outside the US) that people think increasing the number of guns in the public hands will actually make the country safer. Defies logic, common sense and the mathematic properties of probability :?
  • Options
    I really have no place in this debate, not being an American, but I would suggest the op do some research into countries that have tighten their gun laws. Start with Australia, In the 90's Australia had a number of massacres occur. The government at the time implemented legislation reform on gun control that tighten licensing requirements and banned all automatic and semi automatic weapons. Since that time, over 15 years, Australia has not had one shooting massacre, would you like to guess how many the US has had in that time? Gun reform is desperately needed in the US.

A gun for protection is a joke, what happens when someone comes into your house with a knife, do you use your gun in that situation. What if then the intruder manages to get the gun from you. Have you protected your family or made the situation worse?
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,838
    Its been covered nicely in this thread already, so without going on too much I will never understand someones 'need' to own a gun. Even for safety.

This guy is telling us he has his weapon safely concealed - in that case, if someone randomly whipped a gun on you, do you really think there will be time to take it out, unlock the safety, and protect your children?

personally I would never own a gun. even if every neighbour had one. Guns are trouble IMO.

and believe me contrary to your suggestion about Ed caring for his kids, I love my kids more than anything.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,038
    brianlux wrote:
    It's an American disaster. I just recently visited here with a good friend from Germany. He heard neighbors not too far from my house target practicing (a habit that totally unnerves me and my cat) and could believe it when I told him a) how many American's own guns, b) that they are actually allowed to freely shoot them any time (outside city limits) and c) how easy they are to obtain here. Not so in Germany- none of this nonsense goes on there.

And please spare me the "So why don't you move to Germany?" thing.

Really? Your taking someone's viewpoint on guns from Germany?

And why can't people shoot guns on their own land? My father in law owns 10 acres in upstate New York; anytime we go up we shoot and have a good time. I would say it's a way of life for the majority of America.

By the way, I'm a gun owner from the state of New Jersey. If anyone would like me to share the gun laws of New Jersey just ask.

I respect Ed's comments and his opinions. I love the music of pearl jam. Who they vote for or what they believe in doesn't change my opinion on the greatest band in the world. (By the way I've voted democrat every year since 1996.)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    lemminglemming Posts: 31
    Owning guns and shooting them for fun is ridiculous and childish, but what about axe throwing? :lol:
  • Options
    -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... fact-check

The Daily Show: John Oliver Investigates Gun Control in Australia - Part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pOiOhxujsE

The Daily Show: John Oliver Investigates Gun Control in Australia - Part 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYbY45rHj8w

I have grown up with my dad having a gun license and legally owning guns and they have always been stored safely. I don't like guns though and don't see them as a necessity for the average person in suburbia. The gun laws became stricter here after the tragic Port Arthur massacre.

With gun laws in America, my dad's view is that they wouldn't be able to substantially reduce the number of guns in America because of the number of guns already in circulation. Unfortunately, I think this is true!
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    This is the most clueless I have yet to see from a grown man, just wow. Your comments in this thread are just shocking. No grasp of reality whatsoever.

The same can be said for both sides of the debate.

Now take this crap to AMT.
  • Options
    mookieb10mookieb10 Posts: 930
    Having a pool in your backyard is much more dangerous to your kids.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,459
    lemming wrote:
    but what about axe throwing? :lol:
    :lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    on2legs wrote:
    Feels so manly when armed.

!
  • Options
    Given2Fly-FishGiven2Fly-Fish Posts: 811
    edited October 2013
    I have no issue with people having guns for hunting (many people help feed their families - the sport aspect I could not do personally - my choice but I would not impose it on others).

The problem is that the NRA opposes ANY legislation that is anti gun or ammunition. THIS is what drives most people (including Ed) nuts because the majority of the population feel that there are common sense gun restrictions that should be in place (assault rifles, background checks, etc).

The worst part of the NRA is that the majority of the board members that are creating policy are CEO's of gun companies and ammunition companies, and they will not agree to anything that may limit the sales of their products. It is literally the foxes running the chicken coup. They also pay millions to lobbyists in Washington and the politicians are scared shitless of pissing of the NRA because if they take a stand they will be voted out.
    Post edited by Given2Fly-Fish on
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Indian Summer,

Do you hate the heat?

Do you have a backseat lover on the passenger seat?

Are you Evenflow?

Please don't lose yourself, that is no fun with all the butterflies and shit.

P.S. Enjoy your guns and bourbon.
  • Options
    kc007kc007 USA Posts: 282

Ed,

I will be at both Philly shows as well. PLEASE STAY HOME. Don't come to a show and cause trouble.

btw, I have a black belt in awesome and can diffuse any situation with a smile.
This discussion has been closed.