Options

Dear Ed, There is a such thing as a Responsible Gun Owner...

Comments

• Options
    In Wisconsin, thanks to the Governor and his constituents, we now have open carry laws. At first, I was sort of indifferent about it. Now I've come to realize just how ignorant and paranoid the gun nuts are. Here's a video of some guys that got checked by a cop for openly carrying weapons in downtown Green Bay. One of them is carrying an semi-automatic AR-15 and one has a shot gun. Please note that this is perfectly legal for them to do here, but...really? Who the fuck carries an assault rifle with them, in the middle of the day, in Green Bay Wisconsin, while on their way to get lunch?!

http://www.postcrescent.com/article/201 ... 310090229/
    "In certain trying circumstances...profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
  • Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    rbrum7 wrote:
    all gun owners...Gun's are for pussies.

:lol: Right right... good insult. (such a ridiculous statement)
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    dlymnfld wrote:
    Being a Police Officer, the issue people have in my profession is that stricter gun laws just affect and punish the average law abiding citizen. Criminals get guns regardless and don't abide by any rules stricter or not. We always joke that there are some pretty strict laws on possessing coke, heroin and meth but the criminals seem to have no problem getting their hands on those "illegal" items. There are responsible gun owners out there, I come in contact with them all the time but I also see more criminals carrying non licensed illegal guns (usually with their heroin, coke and meth). IBTL

Boom! Thanks for posting this.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

• Options
    callen wrote:
    The more guns the more death.

Replace the word "guns" with the word "criminals." Now you have a factual statement.

• Options
    rr165892 wrote:
    rr165892 wrote:

Good post and I agree.Many people are way to Naive to what really is going on.I wish we lived in some utopian society where one need not worry about violence and crime and our children were safe.But we live in a sick world and scumbags do want to hurt, steal,rob ,murder,rape,kidnap and assault innocent people.
    Every law enforcement person I have ever met who comes face to face with violence everyday has recommended responsible self protection for self and family.

It's judgment calls like these, claiming that "you're naive if you don't own a gun like me" that makes me think that such a closed mind is such a very dangerous thing to own. Much more dangerous than any gun. Wake up. Your opinion is just that. AN OPINION. Respect that everyone has one of their own and theirs certainly don't have to match anyone else's.

DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS.
    Don't twist it.Im not saying your naive if you don't own a gun.And I didn't state my own ownership or non ownership. I am in agreement with the Op that most of society is naive to the bad that is out there.To pretend it Dosent exist is in fact naive.Protect your family as you see fit.Your Buisness. But sticking your head in the sand and thinking that nothing that goes bump in the night will hurt you is a fools errand.imo

Apologies. Granted, my post is not to educate but rather to respect others' opinions. You both speak of naïveté'?
    Spare me. If this thread is meant to be a debate, then the mods should move it to A moving Train. I'm sick of the righteousness and toxicity on the Porch.
  • Options
    evsgjamm wrote:
    dlymnfld wrote:
    Being a Police Officer, the issue people have in my profession is that stricter gun laws just affect and punish the average law abiding citizen. Criminals get guns regardless and don't abide by any rules stricter or not. We always joke that there are some pretty strict laws on possessing coke, heroin and meth but the criminals seem to have no problem getting their hands on those "illegal" items. There are responsible gun owners out there, I come in contact with them all the time but I also see more criminals carrying non licensed illegal guns (usually with their heroin, coke and meth). IBTL

Boom! Thanks for posting this.

It sounds like we need to legalize heroin, coke, and meth then, right? People are getting it anyways, so why not legalize the shit. Seems like it could cut down on gun violence too...
    "In certain trying circumstances...profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
  • Options
    coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,438
    In Wisconsin, thanks to the Governor and his constituents, we now have open carry laws. At first, I was sort of indifferent about it. Now I've come to realize just how ignorant and paranoid the gun nuts are. Here's a video of some guys that got checked by a cop for openly carrying weapons in downtown Green Bay. One of them is carrying an semi-automatic AR-15 and one has a shot gun. Please note that this is perfectly legal for them to do here, but...really? Who the fuck carries an assault rifle with them, in the middle of the day, in Green Bay Wisconsin, while on their way to get lunch?!

Have you seen the lines to get in Curly's Pub at Lambeau Field! I also heard it was Brett Favre fan appreciation day. Might be the reason. 8-)

But you're right... Come on!
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    evsgjamm wrote:
    callen wrote:
    The more guns the more death.

Replace the word "guns" with the word "criminals." Now you have a factual statement.

actually why not be more factual and said the more criminals with guns means more killings.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,149
    Here in Texas we love guns. And we love America. Oh, we love rock and roll too. I grew up in NY and hated guns and all that worried, crybaby stuff... Man I'm glad I moved to Texas!

I may not agree with Ed all the time, but I sure love him nonetheless. Pearl Jam is amazing, that's why we're even on this waste of time forum. Give the OP a break, he can say what he wants, he can do what he wants. It's America, people. There's room on the rest of the continents for you if you don't like it here. That's why we love it here. Long live the land of the free and the home of the brave.

:corn:

Now I'm going out to the shootin range!
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    If you're responsible gun owner, Ed wasnt talking about YOU!
    :fp: :fp:

Yes, however the people on this forum (and elsewhere) who just downright hate guns, and therefore JUDGE me?? I'm a person who's trained on how to use a gun and I get labelled as a bad person, a pussy, and that I am helping criminals etc etc....

Do you know what I am?

I'm a caregiver
    I'm a volunteer
    I'm a teacher
    I donate to breast cancer research, prostate cancer research, less fortunate children around the world and many more charities
    I'm a musician
    I'm a chef
    I'm a geologist
    I'm an outdoorsman
    I'm a thrill seeker
    I'm a motorcycle enthusiast
    I'm a fisherman
    I'm a hunter
    I'm a tax payer
    I'm a voter

And before my P.A.L. expires next year, I am going to renew my license which allows me the means to go clay pigeon shooting, deer hunting, moose hunting, elk hunting and on the off chance that a local farmer contacts me because a group of coyotes, cougars or wolves have attacked his children and farm animals, I'll be there to lend a little responsible gun ownership; and he's always been anti-gun. These people on here who are judging me because of ONE thing I've been taught to operate and incorporate into the way I live my life, are immature in their judgmental ways. I'm here to stand up for myself and others who are like me against the personal attacks.

Now I gotta go listen to Glorified G.

Side note: Abbruzzese about "Glorified G":
    I told our manager that I just bought a coupla guns and he told Jeff, and at rehearsal Jeff kinda blurted it out. And Eddie went, 'Whaaaat, you bought a GUN?' And I said, 'In fact, I bought two,' which ended up as the opening line of the song. I think it's fair to say Eddie was pretty outraged.

Based on this, I'd say JonnyPistachio might be wrong in saying Ed wasn't talking about "you." Maybe his viewpoint has changed over the years, but you'd think in that room, when Ed said those words to Dave, Dave probably knew his days in the band were numbered. :lol:

• Options
    CDFish wrote:
    I will admit, I used to hate guns. Since becoming a mother 5.5 years ago my stance has changed. Maybe it's also because I am older and less naive, but this is a messed up world we live in. My quiet, suburban town has become a place where drug addicts come to break into cars, homes, and businesses in order to support their habits. I should feel safe in my home when i go to sleep at night, with the doors locked, but unfortunately that is not the case. Criminals and others who intend to inflict harm will always find a way to get guns, no matter how harsh the laws. The city of Chicago has some of the toughest laws in the country and the people there are still killing each other, in record numbers. There should be harsher penalties for the PEOPLE who commit any sort of crime with a gun, whether or not they use it or merely possess it. I'm not opposed to more thorough background checks, for everyone living in the household with a gun. That being said, I still love Pearl Jam and respect their opinions on issues. No one said we all have to agree!

Good post.

• Options
    -- Say's the future irresponsible gun owner.

Who are you gonna shoot dude? You watch too many Marky Mark movies. Whatever. Saddle up cowboy.

Please don't bring Marky Mark into this argument. He is a national treasure.
  • Options
    MortalityMortality Posts: 154
    It sounds like we need to legalize heroin, coke, and meth then, right? People are getting it anyways, so why not legalize the shit. Seems like it could cut down on gun violence too...

You're on to something and don't even realize it. Prohibition has been a proven failure for every human taken substance. Laws only stop one type of person, law abiding citizens. Everything that is outlawed is only taken out of the hands of obeying people. The argument is that making these things (guns, drugs) illegal essentially puts the entire stock of those items in the hands of outlaws.
    The big argument against gun laws is not so people can shoot intruding criminals, but the absence of a gun law is a criminal deterrent. If criminals are in an area (say farm country or say Vermont where I live) where they know 99 percent of the law abiding citizens have a deadly weapon in their home, they are unlikely to invade, hence close to no home invasions in Vermont. Now if you are a criminal who disregards the law (and have a gun) in a strict gun law area like Chicago, you know you can invade a rich law abiding citizens home without the chance of being shot down. Lenient gun laws scare the shit out of criminals and that is what most (liberal) people miss. I'm not saying I am conservative, just that fellow liberals fail to see this very important point.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,593
    I am so sick of all this "responsible gun owner" bullshit.

Newflash - WHO CARES?? I don't give a shit how responsible gun owners may be. Guns still fucking suck, and people suck for owning them unless they live out in the country and need it to protect livestock or something, or they actually can't afford food at the grocery store and need to hunt for it in order to eat.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Is anyone against Eddie throwing an AXE into a tree on his land with children around?

I guess Eddie is a very responsible AXE thrower.

Not for guns but he is using a dangerous weapon and I'm sure he's done it having a few Coronas. Just saying.
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • Options
    Is anyone against Eddie throwing an AXE into a tree on his land with children around?

Not for guns but he is using a dangerous weapon and I'm sure he's done it having a few Coronas. Just saying.
    An ax isn't a weapon. It's a tool for cutting wood. People can also hurt other with their own feet, but that doesn't mean that feet should be compared to guns, come on. :roll: This kind of comparison has been done to death, and it never works.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828

I'm not sure whether this makes me laugh or cry. Little bit of both probably.
    Seems like visiting a hot dog stand is dangerous business. :lol::lol:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

An ax isn't a weapon. It's a tool for cutting wood. People can also hurt other with their own feet, but that doesn't mean that feet should be compared to guns, come on. :roll: This kind of comparison has been done to death, and it never works.

An Axe can be used as a weapon and has been for hundreds or years.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    A gun is a normally tubular weapon,a weapon, arm, or armament is any device used in order to inflict damage or harm to living beings, structures, or systems.
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    PJ_Soul wrote:

An Axe can be used as a weapon and has been for hundreds or years.
    I realize that an ax can be used for a weapon. That is not what they're for (anymore). They are necessary tools for chopping wood, or for a throwing game, in EV's case. He does not own an ax for a weapon. NO gun owner can make that claim. The ONLY thing that guns are for is shooting things. It IS a weapon, and that's WHY people own them. A fork can be used as a weapon too. So can a billiard ball. That doesn't make them comparable to guns.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Newflash - WHO CARES?? I don't give a shit how responsible gun owners may be. Guns still fucking suck, and people suck for owning them unless they live out in the country and need it to protect livestock or something, or they actually can't afford food at the grocery store and need to hunt for it in order to eat.

You're not making a good argument. You should just call him a poo poo head and get it over with.

:lol:
  • Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    Do scared people by guns or do guns create scared people? Every argument I read/hear, gun owners always state the gun is for protection. Protection from what? The British? Home invaders? The Taliban? What's with this fear mongering mentality in the United States? I'm not opposed to guns; I actually think they're pretty cool. I'd love to be a WW2 gun collector, but I don't have the money. I just don't understand this whole 'protection' argument, probably because I don't fully believe it. Deep down, I believe people own guns because it makes them feel like a 'big guy'; except no one will admit to that so they hide behind the 'protection' line to sound less aggressive.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

You're not making a good argument. You should just call him a poo poo head and get it over with.

I guess I could, but that wouldn't have made the point I was making.
    I didn't claim that it's a good argument. I was only explaining why I don't give a crap if people are responsible guns owners. It doesn't make gun ownership right in my own opinion. Responsible gun ownership is certainly better than irresponsible gun ownership, but it doesn't eliminate the problem IMO.
  • Options
    aw435aw435 Posts: 74
    PJ_Soul wrote:

End of discussion. Everyone who owns a gun sucks. :roll: I wonder if Eddie prohibits his bodyguards from carrying guns. It would be the right thing to do considering his stance on guns.
  • Options
    MortalityMortality Posts: 154
    I'll say it again and hopefully illicit a response. I believe in what we do here in Vermont. Anyone can get a gun without a lisence. We have no gun crime here. Criminals only use their guns where they know that it gives them the clear upper hand. I don't feel the need to even own a gun because I already know the fact here is I do not have to worry. The absence of gun laws is giving me more power than an actual gun. No one will attack me because they assume I have a gun as well. Not even criminals want to get shot or shoot, they just want to scare, steal, and leave. None of that happens here because you can drive 10 miles to NY and know most people don't have a gun to kill you with, and just rob them. It makes perfect sense.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I guess I could, but that wouldn't have made the point I was making.
    I didn't claim that it's a good argument. I was only explaining why I don't give a crap if people are responsible guns owners. It doesn't make gun ownership right in my own opinion. Responsible gun ownership is certainly better than irresponsible gun ownership, but it doesn't eliminate the problem IMO.

Got ya. Unfortunately it's a little late if you thought gun sales were slowing down... In the U.S., it's one of the strongest industries in a country that doesn't have many growing ones anymore. Here's a good article for ya'll:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/frankminite ... gun-sales/
    "In 1959 some 60 percent of the American public favored handgun bans, according to Gallup, whereas today 73 percent oppose such bans and only 26 percent want bans on handguns." From Forbes, 8/2012
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    on2legs wrote:
    In response to this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/0 ... 59887.html

Ed,

While I fully support your use of freedom of speech over the years, your statement in this interview is of pure ignorance. I'm not going to debate gun control or the politics around it, its your choice to not own a gun and I fully support that. But to wish harm on gun control opponents? I hope karma takes a big bite out of your ass on that comment alone.

I own and legally conceal carry 1 handgun. I do not hunt, it is not used for sport, it is simply for the protection of my family. My gun is never seen by my children, and it's "never fucking laying around". I know where this gun is 24/7. This gun was purchased in the wake of the Colorado Movie Theater shooting, and the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting after I had recently become a father. Not only would I die for my children, but I would also Kill for them. Apparently, you do not value your children as highly as I do, which is a shame.

I hope my gun is never used in the manner in which it is intended, but the world is a crazy place and i will never hesitate to protect my family.

This law abiding, licensed gun owner and supporter will see you in the PIT at both Philly shows. You can expect a middle finger on night one from me for your ignorance.

In all seriousness, have you actually paid attention to Ed all these years? Nothing he said should surprise you. He has an opinion that's different than yours. Get over it or move on. Not trying to be harsh, but you're acting like this is a topic that the band has never addressed before.

Followed them longer than most. I am aware they are anti-gun, which is not my issue. For the second time its that Ed would wish harm on me for being a supporter of gun rights.

He didn't wish harm, he said this 'I Almost Wish Bad Things Upon These People'

Had he said 'I Wish Bad Things Upon These People' that would be different.
    NERDS!
  • Options

He didn't wish harm, he said this 'I Almost Wish Bad Things Upon These People'

Had he said 'I Wish Bad Things Upon These People' that would be different.

But then he adds "But I don't have to because it seems like they happen anyways"....,that implies that they deserve it. I'm still not cool with that statement. I take it as my family deserves to be harmed by a gun because I'm a gun supporter. Seems a bit harsh....I don't wish lung cancer on Ed because he chooses to smoke.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    Wishlist5.1Wishlist5.1 Posts: 115
    edited October 2013
    To each his own until harm comes their way. Ive been a gun owner for 20 plus years... theres always stupid people who dont take responsibility with guns let alone anything else in this world. We always get lumped together unfortunately... but I'm all for a debate... but at the end of the day.... Responsible people will be responsible and people who choose to do harm will. Its the people in the middle who need mental health help is where i want to focus on. there will always be crazies with any kind of weapon no matter the law. I was stabbed 15 years ago getting off a bus in Virginia and almost bit the dust... one other kid was stabbed too and died. 1998 hampton roads virginia. Were human... we sometimes forget we have to protect ourselves. Itll always be that way. I can understand Ed's fustration..... its hard to see people be eresponsible .. but then again they dont tell much of the postive stories on the media.. so its hard and fustrating. But when the people on the left and right are screaming.. the people in the middle wont get heard. I just hope everyone who has never been attacked .... Never have to experience it. Crap.. My moms house was borken into about a year ago in Kirkland wa.. and she came home and the intruder was still there... he took off knocking her over and she fell and broke her hip.. She lives in Vegas now with my sister... and is scared constanly... which is sad at 78 to all of a sudden be scared like that... statistics can go either way ... and are scewed by both sides.. but at the end of the day.... Im human and just want to protect myself, my family, my belongings, and my rights. And if im never have the need to use my gun.. then thank goodness. Have a good day.
    Post edited by Wishlist5.1 on
  • Options
    aw435 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

End of discussion. Everyone who owns a gun sucks. :roll: I wonder if Eddie prohibits his bodyguards from carrying guns. It would be the right thing to do considering his stance on guns.
    Well I don't think everyone who owns a gun actually sucks, but it sucks that they own a gun (at the very least.... a lot of them DO suck as well).
    I am okay with cops having guns.... not security guards for the most part, although there are exceptions (i.e. the guys who refill ATMs or with the armoured bank vehicles).... Or the secret service.... I never thought about personal bodyguards... I would be surprised if EV's carry guns, but who knows.
This discussion has been closed.