Options

Dear Ed, There is a such thing as a Responsible Gun Owner...

Comments

• Options
    Parksy wrote:
    @ OP...

So what about work? Like... let's say you're a construction worker... or a dentist.... are you allowed to bring your gun to work and carry it? How's that go?

I work at a hospital, so it is not allowed for me.....yet I must take Code Silver training to prepare for a hospital shooting. Which i find ironic.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    Not only would I die for my children, but I would also Kill for them. Apparently, you do not value your children as highly as I do, which is a shame.

having a gun does not mean you "value" your children higher than someone who chooses not to have one.

sounds like the gun is making you a bit cocky.
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,690
    Parksy wrote:
    @ OP...

So what about work? Like... let's say you're a construction worker... or a dentist.... are you allowed to bring your gun to work and carry it? How's that go?

I work at a hospital, so it is not allowed for me.....yet I must take Code Silver training to prepare for a hospital shooting. Which i find ironic.

But let's say you work somewhere that would normally allow a gun... if you work there... do they allow you to carry while working? Also.. for you... when you go to work, if you drive a car... do you bring the gun and leave it in the car? Is it mandatory to leave the gun at home if you know you're going somewhere that doesn't allow it? If you leave it at home... does it need to be locked?
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 782
    :corn:
  • Options
    Parksy wrote:
    Parksy wrote:
    @ OP...

But let's say you work somewhere that would normally allow a gun... if you work there... do they allow you to carry while working? Also.. for you... when you go to work, if you drive a car... do you bring the gun and leave it in the car? Is it mandatory to leave the gun at home if you know you're going somewhere that doesn't allow it? If you leave it at home... does it need to be locked?

If you are licensed to carry it, it is fine. I never leave my gun in my car. When I am at work, the gun is left at home in a safe, unloaded, and separate from the ammo.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,354
    another responsible gun owner...and maybe one day an "ir" will be added at the word responsible
    shit happens...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Hm.. while I respect your opinion... these regulations seem strange to me.

Based on what you're saying... I would imagine the times you carry a gun would be.. going to the grocery store, dentist perhaps.. walking the dog. At the park with your kids... maybe a baseball game (that doesnt serve booze).

So.. depending on who you are.. would depend on how often you carry your gun.

But for you, should you want to go grab a beer. Go for dinner (assuming the restaurant serves booze). Go to the hospital for work or other. PTA meeting. Drop off the kids at school. Or have some reason to go to a government building... you have no gun.

So if I was a gun toting maniac and I wanted to kill some people.... seems reasonable I would target those areas where people can't have guns.

Therefore.. it's my opinion.. that... since you can't possibly protect yourself at all times.. why even have legislation that allows for guns to begin with?

The other thing that I would want to know about gun control and what not would be... what kinds of guns are you allowed to carry? I know it would vary from state to state... but if I was to allow my constituents to carry/own guns... I would at least want them to be limited to say... revolvers or pistols. Are people allowed to own say.. a semi-auto M4 Carbine? I can only assume you're never allowed to carry a gun like that. But can you own one?
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    I do believe he meant the legislators. In any case, I don't see how not having a gun endangers your kids - you do have a police force responsible for dealing with such things, right?
    I seriously don't understand this gun thing and I doubt I ever will.
  • Options
    Parksy wrote:
    Hm.. while I respect your opinion... these regulations seem strange to me.

Based on what you're saying... I would imagine the times you carry a gun would be.. going to the grocery store, dentist perhaps.. walking the dog. At the park with your kids... maybe a baseball game (that doesnt serve booze).

So.. depending on who you are.. would depend on how often you carry your gun.

But for you, should you want to go grab a beer. Go for dinner (assuming the restaurant serves booze). Go to the hospital for work or other. PTA meeting. Drop off the kids at school. Or have some reason to go to a government building... you have no gun.

So if I was a gun toting maniac and I wanted to kill some people.... seems reasonable I would target those areas where people can't have guns.

Therefore.. it's my opinion.. that... since you can't possibly protect yourself at all times.. why even have legislation that allows for guns to begin with?

The other thing that I would want to know about gun control and what not would be... what kinds of guns are you allowed to carry? I know it would vary from state to state... but if I was to allow my constituents to carry/own guns... I would at least want them to be limited to say... revolvers or pistols. Are people allowed to own say.. a semi-auto M4 Carbine? I can only assume you're never allowed to carry a gun like that. But can you own one?

My license is for conceal carry, which implies smaller handguns. Some states do allow an open carry of semi-automatic weapons rifles. I believe they must be two steps away from firing, but I'm not sure of the laws as I do not own any of these.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    Kathi wrote:
    I do believe he meant the legislators. In any case, I don't see how not having a gun endangers your kids - you do have a police force responsible for dealing with such things, right?

Police can take minutes, when attacks take seconds.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    I'm not debating the stance on the issue, I understand its a hot topic. I take offense to Ed wishing harm on gun supporters. That's just bad karma.
    This is the most clueless I have yet to see from a grown man, just wow. Your comments in this thread are just shocking. No grasp of reality whatsoever.
    im messed
  • Options
    Parksy wrote:

This is the argument that gun owners make.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    intriguing... i still don't agree with you :) but i am appreciative of the time taken to answer my questions. Cheers
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    I'm not debating the stance on the issue, I understand its a hot topic. I take offense to Ed wishing harm on gun supporters. That's just bad karma.
    This is the most clueless I have yet to see from a grown man, just wow. Your comments in this thread are just shocking. No grasp of reality whatsoever.

Shocking? How so
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    Kathi wrote:

Police can take minutes, when attacks take seconds.

and you'll have your gun out of that locked safe and loaded in seconds? in a stress situation like when you just heard someone break into your kid's bedroom?
  • Options

Shocking? How so
    Guns lol, what a joke
    im messed
  • Options
    This guy really thinks having guns in his home with his kids is a good idea, absolutely shocking
    im messed
  • Options
    In response to this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/0 ... 59887.html

Ed,

While I fully support your use of freedom of speech over the years, your statement in this interview is of pure ignorance. I'm not going to debate gun control or the politics around it, its your choice to not own a gun and I fully support that. But to wish harm on gun control opponents? I hope karma takes a big bite out of your ass on that comment alone.

I own and legally conceal carry 1 handgun. I do not hunt, it is not used for sport, it is simply for the protection of my family. My gun is never seen by my children, and it's "never fucking laying around". I know where this gun is 24/7. This gun was purchased in the wake of the Colorado Movie Theater shooting, and the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting after I had recently become a father. Not only would I die for my children, but I would also Kill for them. Apparently, you do not value your children as highly as I do, which is a shame.

I hope my gun is never used in the manner in which it is intended, but the world is a crazy place and i will never hesitate to protect my family.

This law abiding, licensed gun owner and supporter will see you in the PIT at both Philly shows. You can expect a middle finger on night one from me for your ignorance.

The level of hate in this post is truly alarming.
  • Options
    He actually just said this...... This law abiding, licensed gun owner and supporter will see you in the PIT at both Philly shows. You can expect a middle finger on night one from me for your ignorance.
    im messed
  • Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,106
    I'm with ya Indian Summer. Apparently we are the rare ones. Full-on hunter here. Own ZERO guns, but have hunted since I was 12; I'm now 30. I've never had a gun under my pillow; I have a bat beside the bed. Should a shit-head come into our home at 3am and fuck with our lives, I'm probably not even gunna know the bat is there.... seriously. I dunno' I'm torn on the situation. I have the license to purchase a gun and ammunition, but I have never used it. I studied it; I learned how to use it properly and yet I've never acted upon it. Someday maybe.... maybe not. But, I still feel ya. You're good in my books. Be safe, responsible and teach your kids (if appliclable) the same, but I think that goes without saying. MOST gun owners are stand-up citizens, no matter which country they reside. Don't mind the hateful comments here. Give your finger during those shows... and give it PROUD dammit. Ed can dish it out.... he can certainly take it.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    He actually just said this...... This law abiding, licensed gun owner and supporter will see you in the PIT at both Philly shows. You can expect a middle finger on night one from me for your ignorance.
    Seemed too much like a threat, didn't it. :?
  • Options
    With the flippin the bird thing.. i think it's funny.. and stupid (sorry.. but i do)

I remember when Mike was talking about how some guy flashed his badge in New York after the whole Bush impaling thing.

I remember thinking: "so... what was the guy trying to accomplish by flashing his badge?"

I imagined the band going backstage and Mike being like "Eh.. that guy flashed a badge at me when everyone was booing"

and then they all start laughing hysterically :)
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    Seemed too much like a threat, didn't it. :?
    Yup
    im messed
  • Options
    PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 782
    also, the middle finger gesture is just flat out disrespectful. There is no need for that. You sound angry
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,325
    Followed them longer than most. I am aware they are anti-gun, which is not my issue. For the second time its that Ed would wish harm on me for being a supporter of gun rights.
    Seriously? Did you actually read the article before you decided to post this rant? Ed is not wishing harm on you, he is angry at the people who think that guns are fun.

"I get so angry that I almost wish bad things upon these people (i.e the people that think that owning a gun is 'fun')" Vedder said. "But I don't have to because it seems like they happen anyways"
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    I hope my gun is never used in the manner in which it is intended, but the world is a crazy place and i will never hesitate to protect my family. ...........um dont ever invite me over for a couple beers yikes
    im messed
  • Options
    Parksy wrote:
    With the flippin the bird thing.. i think it's funny.. and stupid (sorry.. but i do)

I remember when Mike was talking about how some guy flashed his badge in New York after the whole Bush impaling thing.

I remember thinking: "so... what was the guy trying to accomplish by flashing his badge?"

I imagined the band going backstage and Mike being like "Eh.. that guy flashed a badge at me when everyone was booing"

and then they all start laughing hysterically :)
    That's another thing; what was the OP hoping to accomplish by flipping off Ed who a) probably won't see it due to the spotlight or other distractions b) 99.9% sure won't connect the bird was for his pro-gun control statements? That Ed would change his mind? What is the point of all this? The bandmembers are probably too smart to even venture into the forums to read these things anyway. Sorry, I don't get it.
  • Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,106
    edited October 2013
    "I get so angry that I almost wish bad things upon these people (i.e the people that think that owning a gun is 'fun')" Vedder said. "But I don't have to because it seems like they happen anyways"

It's a totally totallty TOTALLY ridiculous statement by our favorite Ed Ved though... it's a generalization among generalizations. For example, I LOVE having fun shooting clay pigeons; absolutely love it. Every single time.
    Post edited by evsgjamm on
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    Sandy Hook happened because some idiot had guns laying around and he claims Sandy Hook is why he bought a gun....shaking my head.
    im messed
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,792
    It's an American disaster. I just recently visited here with a good friend from Germany. He heard neighbors not too far from my house target practicing (a habit that totally unnerves me and my cat) and could believe it when I told him a) how many American's own guns, b) that they are actually allowed to freely shoot them any time (outside city limits) and c) how easy they are to obtain here. Not so in Germany- none of this nonsense goes on there.

And please spare me the "So why don't you move to Germany?" thing.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

This discussion has been closed.