Options

"Sirens" Single + Video

Comments

• Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,463
    knitted wrote:
    Is this the most polarising pearl jam single ever? Wow.

I would say no. It looks like there are just a few people that don't like it but boy do they want to make it known.
  • Options
    I have been listening to the new Kings Of Leon album the last two days, and I am completely underwhelmed by it. The songs & production are so simple and plain. I was happy to get my hands on some new kings and thought that this would take me away from the new PJ and give me a chance to let everything sink in. After just 3 listens of that album, I'm bored. There honestly isnt that "lets keep listening and get a better grasp on it,". Its boring and there is nothing to grasp. It is simple... I honestly keep going back to Sirens and am blown away by the sound of the song. Its just in another galaxy. Lyrically, musically, the production.. Everything. To me its 100x better. Im probably close to 30 listens already on sirens , and i still cant remember all the lyrics by heart.. Im not trying to put Kings down, bc i do still like them, but after listening to the two, the new PJ makes Kings of Leon look like a bunch of little kids playing in a highschool band. TY PJ for everything you have given us!
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,463
    CL8148 wrote:
    I have been listening to the new Kings Of Leon album the last two days, and I am completely underwhelmed by it. The songs & production are so simple and plain. I was happy to get my hands on some new kings and thought that this would take me away from the new PJ and give me a chance to let everything sink in. After just 3 listens of that album, I'm bored. There honestly isnt that "lets keep listening and get a better grasp on it,". Its boring and there is nothing to grasp. It is simple... I honestly keep going back to Sirens and am blown away by the sound of the song. Its just in another galaxy. Lyrically, musically, the production.. Everything. To me its 100x better. Im probably close to 30 listens already on sirens , and i still cant remember all the lyrics by heart.. Im not trying to put Kings down, bc i do still like them, but after listening to the two, the new PJ makes Kings of Leon look like a bunch of little kids playing in a highschool band. TY PJ for everything you have given us!

How funny as I have not heard the whole KOL yet but was hoping that it would be good as the reviews have been good but the new single Supersoaker just sounds like more of the same? I'm sure many fans will be delighted but I get bored easily and like the fact that PJ do to.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    1:30 into this video shows the similarity between the ending of Avril Lavignes single My Happy Ending and Sirens :)

https://vimeo.com/75237775
    I am seriously not sure if this is supposed to be a joke or what. Someone please tell me so that I know if I should laugh or cry.
    Oh dear, it made me laugh, especially the a-ha o-ho part. But you know, even if I don't like Sirens at all, still I think PJ are fantastic and the comparison – a part from this weird extrapolation – actually doesn't hold water :-)
    She holds the hand that holds her down...
    She will... rise above...
  • Options
    I wish they would have played this at Wrigley Field. Would have been perfect after the rain.
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,324
    almost 1.3 million views on youtube in less than a week. mym has 1.7m (for the first video they put out 2 months ago)....little surprised. is this kind of turning into a hit? anyone have any numbers on radio plays/downloads etc?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    things are so simple....

as we say in Greece,"the river cant turn back"

this song is beautiful,its huge,its already classic and gets mad love...

nothing cant change that...

the power this song has is unbeatable...

To YOU. Your opinion carries exactly the same weight as every other fan. You do not speak for PJ fans.
    San Jose 10/93, San Francisco 6/95, San Jose 11/95, St Louis 4/03, Columbus 5/10, MSGII 5/21/2010, Alpine Valley 09/03/2011 and 09/04/2011
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,762
    evsgjamm wrote:
    brianlux wrote:
    It would be interesting to take a poll on this song-- love it/like it/neutral/don't like it-would rather hear "Last Kiss"/strongly dislike it. Anyone?

POLLS :D I advocated these months ago on "Let Your Voice Be Heard", page 62 of that thread now.
    viewtopic.php?f=4&t=193154&p=5095107&hilit=polls#p5095107

Polls would be awesome.

We used to have polls on the Westerberg "Man Without Ties" fan site all the time. They're easy to make on that particular ProBoards site which has an "Add Poll" button leading to a simple format. I've never seen that here.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    brianlux wrote:
    evsgjamm wrote:
    brianlux wrote:
    It would be interesting to take a poll on this song-- love it/like it/neutral/don't like it-would rather hear "Last Kiss"/strongly dislike it. Anyone?

POLLS :D I advocated these months ago on "Let Your Voice Be Heard", page 62 of that thread now.
    viewtopic.php?f=4&t=193154&p=5095107&hilit=polls#p5095107

Polls would be awesome.

We used to have polls on the Westerberg "Man Without Ties" fan site all the time. They're easy to make on that particular ProBoards site which has an "Add Poll" button leading to a simple format. I've never seen that here.

there were polls here back around 2004
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    almost 1.3 million views on youtube in less than a week. mym has 1.7m (for the first video they put out 2 months ago)....little surprised. is this kind of turning into a hit? anyone have any numbers on radio plays/downloads etc?
    MYM was released first without a video, which has 1.7 million views and the its video has close to a million.

Sirens has a better video though and it seems it will be "bigger" than MYM was/is/will become.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

only 25,000 unique views tho ... with everyone watching in on repeat! ... :lol::lol:
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,016
    CL8148 wrote:

Not surprised at all. Well put. This is the reason we are all for this band because of the richness of the music and the wealth that is Eddie Vedder. Nothing compares... :)
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    PJinILPJinIL satan's bed Posts: 431
    I go back and forth between really loving this song, and thinking....did this start over? because it seems so long.

I've found this pattern...if I'm really listening to the song, intentional listening, I can hardly keep tears from welling up in my eyes. There's definitely a power and what sound to me like a different purity in Ed's voice. And the guitar solo, just hitting the ground running, that's so awesome to me. The piano work in the song, imho, is kinda like the rug... just ties the whole song together (lame Big Lebowski reference). It weaves in and out at all the right times. I had to pause it the first time I listened because I didn't want to be crying at my desk in the middle of the work day.

On the other hand...if it's just sort of on in my itunes and I'm doing other stuff, I don't seem to enjoy it very much. I don't skip it either. But the long passages between verse/chorus etc, make it wash away, doesn't hold my interest. I actually dropped the song into some software I have and sped it up...not drastically, and it is a bit more palatable when casually listening.

No lyric interpretation here...just the music and structure....
    It's amazing what you hear when you take time to listen.
  • Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    CL8148 wrote:

Frustrated with these comments about KoL, was kind of hopeful about it.

But you seem to set the bar very high. :) Comparison with PJ is just unfair to them.

Wait till the PJ album comes out. It will make all look like highschool band. :)

(Except for QoTSA maybe who put out a badass album earlier)
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,631
    MYM was released first without a video, which has 1.7 million views and the its video has close to a million.

Sirens has a better video though and it seems it will be "bigger" than MYM was/is/will become.
    I really like the MYM video! Way more than the Sirens one. Not that I mind the Sirens vid (what's not to like? .... and what's to really love?). But the MYM vid is way more interesting and creative.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,191
    didnt listen Sirens.. for 14 hours 27 min and 12 seconds..

its a fuckin record!!!woot!!!

playing now again nonstop Bitches!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339

who are you calling bitches?
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    shortstack wrote:

who are you calling bitches?

Hey, he capitalized it at least! :lol:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,662

:lol::lol:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,016

Dimi you are classic! :lol:
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    I see everyone is still carrying on about this song..lol

I think the dynamic will change BIGTIME when they play this live. With the energy of the crowd and the vibe it's gonna give off. It'll probably turn into something incredible.

Now that I've had time to stew on it, I think it just touches a place I'm not willing to go just yet.

With so many problems in the world, I guess it just brings me down a bit and reminds me of it when I want to try and not think about it, keep it covered up, not talk about it. Maybe someday...
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    Also...I want to apologize for ever comparing this to a "Nickleback" or "Bon Jovi" song. However it may be structured like one musically. Lyrically it is definitely more intelligent, real and heartfelt.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Also...I want to apologize for ever comparing this to a "Nickleback" or "Bon Jovi" song. However it may be structured like one musically. Lyrically it is definitely more intelligent, real and heartfelt.

you'll be apologizing for calling it musically the same as well ... ;)
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

you'll be apologizing for calling it musically the same as well ... ;)

Structured was what I meant, sorry, in no way would I ever compare any PJ members playing ability to the likes of BJ or NB. That'd be plain silly! :shock:
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    yellowwhoyellowwho Posts: 1,661
    Wasn't quite sure at first listen and I've only listened to it about a Hundred times since then, but I think it might have grown on me. :D I do believe this will be a huge Sing along live, especially the end and I for sure have been practicing
  • Options
    BelushiBelushi CA Posts: 13
    I wasn't sure also, started listening on lap top to head phones then to book shelf speakers. The song grew the louder I played it. Great song been 4 years an excited to see the guys charged up. I agree this will be a sing along at the end.
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,945
    That new Lightening Bolt video has thrown fresh insight into what this song is about - turns out its to do with the fear being in LA evokes in a surfer who is used to living in a beach house...funny after hearing people talk about this song in the same breath as GnR...its now like the flip side to Welcome To The Jungle! :D
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    Spags wrote:
    That new Lightening Bolt video has thrown fresh insight into what this song is about - turns out its to do with the fear being in LA evokes in a surfer who is used to living in a beach house...funny after hearing people talk about this song in the same breath as GnR...its now like the flip side to Welcome To The Jungle! :D

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Wait was Welcome to the Jungle a "power ballad"???? :shock:
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,191
    Spags wrote:
    :lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    I Can't get over....

How Fuggin good this song is! Twice to work, Twice on way home every day since day 1.. I honestly dont remember listening this much to a single song like this since... I cant remember when....

For me, this is song is on another planet compared to anything else out there. I dont think you can fully understand the song until your able to sing along and put the story of it into perspective. Its beautiful.