Options

"Sirens" Single + Video

Comments

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,650
    YLed2 wrote:
    If this is a sign of things to come on the album, and you now they are still hanging out to great songs that we haven't heard yet for the remainder of the album - we're in store for a DOPE album!

I am very curious about My Fathers Son, Infallible, Pendelum and Yellow Moon. I think that these are going to make or break the album...

For some reason I get a Binaural sense from the descriptions...
    The last three u listed are the most intriguing. Infallible sounded AMAZING in that hard to hear soundchck recording.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,678
    cp3iverson wrote:
    YLed2 wrote:
    If this is a sign of things to come on the album, and you now they are still hanging out to great songs that we haven't heard yet for the remainder of the album - we're in store for a DOPE album!

I am very curious about My Fathers Son, Infallible, Pendelum and Yellow Moon. I think that these are going to make or break the album...

The last three u listed are the most intriguing. Infallible sounded AMAZING in that hard to hear soundchck recording.
    :?: Soundcheck recording? From where? Wrigley?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,350
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    [
    :?: Soundcheck recording? From where? Wrigley?
    london
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,702
    tumblr_mst5zjBGKl1rwzvuio1_400.gif

Hear the sirens ... hear the sirens?!?!?! Really?? wtf is that!!
  • Options
    E.K wrote:

The sirens? There are whole threads about the possible meaning. Just a scoop:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=217690

Also think of Homers Sirens - Greek mythology.
  • Options
    E.K wrote:

I think you're missing the point of this pic. 1992 Eddie would hate this song.

:)
  • Options
    E.K wrote:
    E.K wrote:

No,you think 1992 Eddie would have hated this song. I understood it was (once again) another stab at Sirens. I would like to reverse it: 1992 Eddie could not have written this song, for you need some life experience to do so. In 1992 he had other issues to deal with and dealt with.

With Release as the ultimate crown.
  • Options
    E.K wrote:

No,you think 1992 Eddie would have hated this song. I understood it was (once again) another stab at Sirens. I would like to reverse it: 1992 Eddie could not have written this song, for you need some life experience to do so. In 1992 he had other issues to deal with and dealt with.

I was referring more to the music than the lyrics. I think this is a song that will get played a lot on commercial radio. Release on the other hand ...
  • Options
    E.K wrote:
    E.K wrote:

I was referring more to the music than the lyrics. I think this is a song that will get played a lot on commercial radio. Release on the other hand ...

Oh, I am not sure about that. Release got played quite a lot and wasn't even a single. Sirens - just judging the division in this fanclub - is really not that radio friendly. It has been labeled as such. But if you look at the structure, the indepth lyrics, the symbolisms used, even the time it clocks, it is not in anyway as direct as Release was. Release is a slow droning jam, that is much easier to listen to, than Sirens. In Sirens there is a lot going on at the same time. It is carried by the vocal line (which is peculair).

Radio's like easy accesable songs and def. songs that don't deal with death or the fragility of life. So to me this song is a slow burner and not what it was hyped to be. If there was a mistake made with this song, it was the hype surrounding it. They positioned it as the second Black, a power ballad, which was not the smartest thing to do. It directs people to comparisons and thereby take away the open mindedness to judge the song on its own merrits.

Don't get me wrong. Release is in my opinion the better of the two. But considering Release less radio friendly? With that I disagree.
  • Options
    Oh, I am not sure about that. Release got played quite a lot and wasn't even a single. Sirens - just judging the division in this fanclub - is really not that radio friendly. It has been labeled as such. But if you look at the structure, the indepth lyrics, the symbolisms used, even the time it clocks, it is not in anyway as direct as Release was. Release is a slow droning jam, that is much easier to listen to, than Sirens. In Sirens there is a lot going on at the same time. It is carried by the vocal line (which is peculair).

Radio's like easy accesable songs and def. songs that don't deal with death or the fragility of life. So to me this song is a slow burner and not what it was hyped to be. If there was a mistake made with this song, it was the hype surrounding it. They positioned it as the second Black, a power ballad, which was not the smartest thing to do. It directs people to comparisons and thereby take away the open mindedness to judge the song on its own merrits.

Don't get me wrong. Release is in my opinion the better of the two. But considering Release less radio friendly? With that I disagree.

I don't think it's as good as their early material and never will be. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,792
    It would be very interesting to see a survey of 10 club members ratings of this song on, say, a one to five star scale. I'm guessing a lot of ones and a lot of fives with only a smattering of numbers in between.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,792
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

For those of you who are wondering, 14 sets of clapping hands is Greek for 5 stars. Right, Dimi? :D
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    geckogecko Posts: 1,712
    Harpsy wrote:
    I absolutely adore this song. I can't stop listening to it, I love the sentiment, I love the rythm, everything.

The first time I heard it, I thought Mike was about to break into an extended Pink Floyd-esq solo. I hope he does when they play it live.

I really liked Mind Your Manners, but this sets the benchmark for the album. Stunning!

A 'woah' moment: today I was in the garden listening to the MP3 thing when I stepped on neighbor's cat (who was off course circling between my legs while I was trying to pick fruit) and almost fell. When I became aware of the music again, it was Pink Floyd, and I remember thinking how great it was. Then it continued to PJ and end of Sirens, and only then I realised what I thought was exceptionally good Pink Floyd solo was Mike all along. :D
  • Options
    brianlux wrote:

For those of you who are wondering, 14 sets of clapping hands is Greek for 5 stars. Right, Dimi? :D
    true... :mrgreen:
  • Options
    brianlux wrote:
    It would be very interesting to see a survey of 10 club members ratings of this song on, say, a one to five star scale. I'm guessing a lot of ones and a lot of fives with only a smattering of numbers in between.

:-| :-| :-|

That's three neutral faces from me. :)
  • Options
    AmherstJammerAmherstJammer Amherst, Massachusetts Posts: 1,510
    For me, it's their best song since Man Of The Hour.
  • Options
    I had to listen to Sirens at least 15 times, but now I love it! Especially listening when reading the lyrics makes it even better! Love the song!!
  • Options
    Romario wrote:
    I had to listen to Sirens at least 15 times, but now I love it! Especially listening when reading the lyrics makes it even better! Love the song!!
    one of the best username and avatar ever!! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    YLed2 wrote:

Same here. Those four tracks that you listed interest me most, and I think those will be the more Binaural-ish sound and tone.

I think we have already heard the songs with sounds/concepts similar to Backspacer with Future Days and Lightning Bolt (we can make a bet that Sleeping By Myself will follow suit as well). We have heard the powerful rock ballad such as Sirens, which is different than really anything they've done before. We have heard the faster, punk/rock sound of MYM, and we can expect another song or two on the album to follow that direction And now I'm thinking we will be getting some more of that experimental, Pink Floyd-ish stuff that Mike refers to with My Father's Son, Infallible, Pendulum, and Yellow Moon. That's at least what I'm hoping for.

With that all that being said and if it comes to fruition as per above, we would be in store for a very diverse and DOPE album! I can't wait, I'm excited.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    I love Sirens.
    I hope to hear it in Calgary and/or Vancouver.
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,007
    YLed2 wrote:
    YLed2 wrote:

Same here. Those four tracks that you listed interest me most, and I think those will be the more Binaural-ish sound and tone.

I think we have already heard the songs with sounds/concepts similar to Backspacer with Future Days and Lightning Bolt (we can make a bet that Sleeping By Myself will follow suit as well). We have heard the powerful rock ballad such as Sirens, which is different than really anything they've done before. We have heard the faster, punk/rock sound of MYM, and we can expect another song or two on the album to follow that direction And now I'm thinking we will be getting some more of that experimental, Pink Floyd-ish stuff that Mike refers to with My Father's Son, Infallible, Pendulum, and Yellow Moon. That's at least what I'm hoping for.

With that all that being said and if it comes to fruition as per above, we would be in store for a very diverse and DOPE album! I can't wait, I'm excited.

Totally agree...

Really looking forward to Infallible, Yellow Moon, Pendulum and My Fathers
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    edited September 2013
    E.K wrote:

I don't think it's as good as their early material and never will be. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Good thing then, that I never wanted to change your opinion ;)
    Post edited by fortyshades on
  • Options
    Romario wrote:
    one of the best username and avatar ever!! :mrgreen:

:D
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,348
    Great song. I'm hopeful that Lightning Bolt will be a stronger album than Backspacer. 'Really looking forward to October 12th and 15th. Enjoy the music everybody.
  • Options
    My views on Sirens are posted here before, but while reading all our topic, I have a comment (neither negative nor positive, just an observation) about how personally people take the band's choices.
    We should follow Stone Gossard's example. I mean look at what he's participating in!
  • Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    I am loving the video version much better. Maybe it is the production of the single or maybe the excitement of seeing the boys on the screen. But especially;

- 0:20, Stone's goofy face while pressing the note. (Btw, Stone is the man with lead-guitar!!!)
    - 5:20, Jeff's eyes at the microphone, singing A-ha, O-ho, like he's been hypnotized.
    - 5:35, Stone's look, like saying this is how it is done.
    - Mat's agressive drum-playing for a so-called ballad kind of song.
    - Ed's looking right and left at start, like saying "Are you ready, boys?"

The guys seem to be very dedicated and invested for this song. A live video speaks for itself.

Finally, some people were discussing that the light was making the guys look 10 years older, especially Eddie. I think that was the idea. Playing a song of thoughts about nearing mortality.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,177
    good lord that song is atrocious.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    bicyclejoe wrote:
    good lord that song is atrocious.

Hardly...
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,359
    E.K wrote:

i don't recall ever hearing release played on the radio, except for pjradio.

what are you talking about?
    chinese-happy.jpg