Options

"Sirens" Single + Video

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,679
    I played Sirens for a friend who is pretty much as unbiased as a music fan can get when it comes to PJ - knows their music pretty well, likes them as he sees fit (Vitalogy is his fave PJ album), open to many different styles of music, not emotionally invested in PJ at all - and he had an careful listen, and all he could say was, "it seems confused." I agree. I still don't really dislike it, but confusion was my first impression as well.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i can feel this as an opener ...

as a call to cherish our time here ... together ...
  • Options
    E.K wrote:

I was referring more to the music than the lyrics. I think this is a song that will get played a lot on commercial radio. Release on the other hand ...

Oh, I am not sure about that. Release got played quite a lot and wasn't even a single. Sirens - just judging the division in this fanclub - is really not that radio friendly. It has been labeled as such. But if you look at the structure, the indepth lyrics, the symbolisms used, even the time it clocks, it is not in anyway as direct as Release was. Release is a slow droning jam, that is much easier to listen to, than Sirens. In Sirens there is a lot going on at the same time. It is carried by the vocal line (which is peculair).

Radio's like easy accesable songs and def. songs that don't deal with death or the fragility of life. So to me this song is a slow burner and not what it was hyped to be. If there was a mistake made with this song, it was the hype surrounding it. They positioned it as the second Black, a power ballad, which was not the smartest thing to do. It directs people to comparisons and thereby take away the open mindedness to judge the song on its own merrits.

Don't get me wrong. Release is in my opinion the better of the two. But considering Release less radio friendly? With that I disagree.

i don't recall ever hearing release played on the radio, except for pjradio.

what are you talking about?

Trust me, the song is played in the Netherlands and was played in the 90's when I lived upstate New York. I would know, for I worked the nightshift and the music was blazing.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,007
    After listening to Sirens several more times I think I would have added a jam at the end to offset the "softness"

kind of like Def Leppard's Bringing on the Heartbreak
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    After few days of rest heard o. Radio and really digging it.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    This is the best song I've heard in a long time...

"Oh, it’s a fragile thing, this life we lead, if I think too much, I can’t get over
    When by the grace, by which we live our lives, with death over our shoulders
    Want you to know, that should I go, I always loved you, held you high above truth
    I studied your face, and the fear goes away, the fear goes away, the fear goes away..."
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,016
    Byrnzie wrote:
    This is the best song I've heard in a long time...

"Oh, it’s a fragile thing, this life we lead, if I think too much, I can’t get over
    When by the grace, by which we live our lives, with death over our shoulders
    Want you to know, that should I go, I always loved you, held you high above truth
    I studied your face, and the fear goes away, the fear goes away, the fear goes away..."

My sentiment exactly... :clap:
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    Having lost my husband 6 months ago today, it is consoling to have this song speak to “me”. I am looking forward to it being played in Baltimore.

Eddie's voice is flawless!
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,468
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I played Sirens for a friend who is pretty much as unbiased as a music fan can get when it comes to PJ - knows their music pretty well, likes them as he sees fit (Vitalogy is his fave PJ album), open to many different styles of music, not emotionally invested in PJ at all - and he had an careful listen, and all he could say was, "it seems confused." I agree. I still don't really dislike it, but confusion was my first impression as well.

I had a similar reaction when I first heard Daughter after playing Ten 15 million times? I was confused for a while until I realized it was my problem and not the songs. Don't even get me started on how much confusion No Code caused me. Shelve the song for a while and come back to it. It should sink in.
  • Options
    TJ25487 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I had a similar reaction when I first heard Daughter after playing Ten 15 million times? I was confused for a while until I realized it was my problem and not the songs. Don't even get me started on how much confusion No Code caused me. Shelve the song for a while and come back to it. It should sink in.
    Fair enough... but just to clarify, WE aren't confused. We think the SONG is confused. Two pretty different things there. ;) This song will never make a 'worst PJ songs' list for me (not even close)... but it does seem confused in its style and arrangement. That could be because they are treading on very unfamiliar territory with this song. It's like it turned them into temporary newbies. Just my and my less biased friend's thoughts. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    1:30 into this video shows the similarity between the ending of Avril Lavignes single My Happy Ending and Sirens :)

https://vimeo.com/75237775
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,007
    1:30 into this video shows the similarity between the ending of Avril Lavignes single My Happy Ending and Sirens :)

oh boy
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,468

We'll have to wait for release to look in the liner notes for any Avril collaborations? :lol:
    I'm ok as long as it's not Nickelback.
  • Options

I am seriously not sure if this is supposed to be a joke or what. Someone please tell me so that I know if I should laugh or cry.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    It could only somehow make it even worse.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,575

BOO THIS MAN! :nono:
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I am seriously not sure if this is supposed to be a joke or what. Someone please tell me so that I know if I should laugh or cry.

I laughed :D
    Still love Sirens
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,082
    Romario wrote:
    I had to listen to Sirens at least 15 times, but now I love it! Especially listening when reading the lyrics makes it even better! Love the song!!

tried to search for the LYRICS but could not find them
    anyone want to help point me in the right direction??
    thx
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    Lizard wrote:
    Romario wrote:
    I had to listen to Sirens at least 15 times, but now I love it! Especially listening when reading the lyrics makes it even better! Love the song!!

thx

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=217648&hilit=sirens+lyrics

:wave:
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,082
    norm wrote:
    Lizard wrote:
    Romario wrote:

thx

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=217648&hilit=sirens+lyrics

D'oh.
    so simple.....yet.
    THX
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    IMO, Sirens is one of the best songs I've heard in yeeeeears. It's so beautiful, it blows my mind.
    "Let me catch my breath to breathe then reach across the bend . Just to know we’re safe, I am a grateful man
    This light is pit, alive and I can see you clear" Is my favorite part of the song :3
    Concerts I've been to:
    Chris Cornell- Balboa; Theatre, San Deigo CA. December 17, 2011
    Stone Temple Pilots; Pearl Concert Theater, September 24, 2012
    Soundgarden; The Wiltern, LA. Feburary 17, 2013
    Mudhoney: The Echo, LA April 14, 2013
    Pearl Jam: LA, CA Sat 23 November, 2013
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,702

Some people obviously have too much time on their hands ..

:roll:
  • Options
    Haunting, just fucking beautiful. I have never been more obsessed with a song. The height of this band's talent grows more immeasurable with each passing year. Just like kennedysh said, I feel it's one of the best songs I have heard in years. Waiting for the rest of the album hurts ...
  • Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,106
    brianlux wrote:
    It would be interesting to take a poll on this song-- love it/like it/neutral/don't like it-would rather hear "Last Kiss"/strongly dislike it. Anyone?

POLLS :D I advocated these months ago on "Let Your Voice Be Heard", page 62 of that thread now.
    viewtopic.php?f=4&t=193154&p=5095107&hilit=polls#p5095107

Polls would be awesome.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    things are so simple....

as we say in Greece,"the river cant turn back"

this song is beautiful,its huge,its already classic and gets mad love...

nothing cant change that...

the power this song has is unbeatable...

I'm on board Dimi. AGREED to the fullest.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

• Options
    YLed2 wrote:
    you better believe we will have 20,000+ people singing "ahaaa ohooo" at the end of the song.

This strikes a cord.

You just nailed it. I not only agree, but it's a fact this will happen.

EXACTLY what was going on in my head moments ago. CHANTING AH AH!!! OH OH!!!! over and over again until it fades amongst the crowd and they lead into their next song for us.

• Options
    knittedknitted Posts: 244
    Could somebody please please tell the band that there are a whole bunch of people out here just completely losing their shit over this song. Otherwise perfectly normal grown ups obsessing like teenagers over what once would have been called a 45, playing it on repeat, humming it in public, crying, hugging strangers...

And, as I actually turned 45 on the 18th of September, can I say, best fucking birthday present EVER.

Thanks.
    http://www.sublime-retro.net

when my ears ring, my heart beats
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

BOO THIS MAN! :nono:

avril_lavigne___gif_by_solci_chan-d573lok.gif

AVRIL LAVIGNE FOR EAST LEG OPENER!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,016
    Haunting, just fucking beautiful. I have never been more obsessed with a song. The height of this band's talent grows more immeasurable with each passing year. Just like kennedysh said, I feel it's one of the best songs I have heard in years. Waiting for the rest of the album hurts ...
    Yeah I feel the same 8-)
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    knittedknitted Posts: 244
    Is this the most polarising pearl jam single ever? Wow.
    http://www.sublime-retro.net

when my ears ring, my heart beats