Options

"Sirens" Single + Video

Comments

• Options
    I know I read this this line on this topic of the PJam forum, but can't find it right now to paste it. To the person that said they would take the song "Sirens" 100 out of 100 times to "Sleight of Hand," can you please do this for me? Get a good pull of the hippie lettuce that you like (whatever method you prefer), pull up a chair, put the headphones on and please listen to Sleight of Hand at least 10 TIMES (on your headphones)! I KNOW you would think differently after a couple quality listens.

Thank you,

AKA Tyler Durden who loves PJAM
    d2farmer
  • Options
    clampinoclampino cumbria,uk Posts: 31
    im loving it, already a classic, thank you pearl jam.
  • Options
    RVM1978RVM1978 Leesburg, FL Posts: 320
    I've said this about a thousand times, but the reason Pearl Jam is so special is because in our eyes their best album is ALWAYS their next album. Even after "Lightning Bolt" is released, we're already gonna want to hear what's next. When a band can continue to do that from album to album and set a particular mood and pace with their music, it's a special thing. Use this comparison. Good music is like wine, it gets better with age. Bad music is like beer, might be good for the moment, but gets stale over time. My opinion is that Sirens will be a fine wine for years to come. Can't wait to see it live.

:idea:
    08/12/2000 - Tampa, FL; 04/09/2003 - Birmingham, AL; 04/11/2003 - West Palm Beach, FL
    04/13/2003 - Tampa, FL; 10/08/2004 - Kissimmee, FL; 05/16 & 17/2006 - Chicago, IL;
    05/19/2006 - Grand Rapids, MI; 05/22/2006 - Auburn Hills, MI; 08/05/2007 - Chicago, IL;
    05/03/2010 - Kansas City, MO; 07/19/2013 - Chicago, IL; 04/13/16 - Jacksonville, FL;
  • Options
    d2farmer wrote:
    I know I read this this line on this topic of the PJam forum, but can't find it right now to paste it. To the person that said they would take the song "Sirens" 100 out of 100 times to "Sleight of Hand," can you please do this for me? Get a good pull of the hippie lettuce that you like (whatever method you prefer), pull up a chair, put the headphones on and please listen to Sleight of Hand at least 10 TIMES (on your headphones)! I KNOW you would think differently after a couple quality listens.

Thank you,

AKA Tyler Durden who loves PJAM

No need to try and force appreciation for one song over another. This, coming from someone whose top 3 PJ songs includes Sleight of Hand. That being said, I'm going to go listen to Binaural.

We're all here because we love the band.
  • Options
    As a result of the Sleight of Hand comparison, I've been up way too late, God I love Binaural. Still my favorite.

Think I'll wear my Binaural t-shirt tomorrow.

On topic, Sirens is beautiful.
  • Options
    gecko wrote:
    I don't really think that guys decided to make a radio friendly song and thought 'lets write a song about mortality and fear of dying, yeah, that's the plan'.

The video is fitting, imo, exposing vulnerability, flaws, mortality...and beauty of our guys.
    It's Rembrandt. :D

Wow, love these comments. I think you hit the nail on the head.
  • Options
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

This is a photo of the Q magazine review, kindly provided by a fan.
    I like how it ends: "This is what they do and if that makes it sound like they don't stir up enough drama, then that's because they don't need to. Listen closely and it's there. Pearl Jam have lived it: these songs are what happens when you make it through to the other side."

This is a review for the whole album but could easily, IN MY OPINION (because on this site you have to explicitly state that it's only your own opinion you express and not a propaganda trap you set to the rest of the other fans who, likewise you, voluntarily pay their annual description to ten club), be the fade out to the sirens' discussion thread, too.
    Don't weave dramas for a song! It's just a song!
  • Options
    clampinoclampino cumbria,uk Posts: 31
    one word sums it up for me, CLASSIC.
  • Options
    I've watched the video twice now and this song choked me up on both occasions. It's a stunning triumph. Having followed the band since day one and witnessed their evolution over the years - this song just felt perfectly right and fitting. The bit that gets me right in the heart and chokes me up is when the whole band sing at the end with the "fear goes away" part - to me it's like YES, these guys have got my back like they have for the past 20-odd years and they're giving this rousing, positive message. Superb song and I can totally understand why Brendan O Brien raved about this. Bring on the album.
  • Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    edited September 2013
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Well I don't think he got ten years older between the MYM video or the Wrigley show and filming the Sirens video. I do know what Ed looks like in person. I think the lighting just isn't working for him in this vid. However, I think that Stone looks younger than usual in the vid, so the lighting worked well for someone! :lol:

maybe back to.."It's Stone's fault"???...since he looks younger than usual in the vid~ ;):lol:
    Post edited by electronblue on
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,984
    Spags wrote:
    I find this whole "piss break song" thing odd...I've never found the choice of pissing being more important to me than enjoying any song live, if I need a piss then it can be during anything - if you gotta go you gotta go. Can't think of anything worse than having a plan during a concert of when to empty my bladder.

These last few days have been some strange ones, even by Ten Club standards.

Pissing breaks can be annoying though. I was taking a piss break during Amsterdam 2 - my blatter was exploding - and what do I hear, far away in the toilet? Release in the first encore :fp: . Terrible experience.

Fair enough - I'm like a camel tbh...
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    grazmangrazman Posts: 198
    zelx77 wrote:
    I've watched the video twice now and this song choked me up on both occasions. It's a stunning triumph. Having followed the band since day one and witnessed their evolution over the years - this song just felt perfectly right and fitting. The bit that gets me right in the heart and chokes me up is when the whole band sing at the end with the "fear goes away" part - to me it's like YES, these guys have got my back like they have for the past 20-odd years and they're giving this rousing, positive message. Superb song and I can totally understand why Brendan O Brien raved about this. Bring on the album.

Agree with everything you said there, a stunning triumph. The type of song I felt was missing from their massive catalogue of amazing songs, a very uplifting, feel good ballad, only one that comes close imo is Given to Fly. I especially like the end where they are all singing together and wish it would keep going on and on---I guess that's why I've hit the replay button over 100 times now :)
    It's Evolution, Baby!
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,459
    grazman wrote:
    zelx77 wrote:

Agree with everything you said there, a stunning triumph. The type of song I felt was missing from their massive catalogue of amazing songs, a very uplifting, feel good ballad, only one that comes close imo is Given to Fly. I especially like the end where they are all singing together and wish it would keep going on and on---I guess that's why I've hit the replay button over 100 times now :)
    agree with both!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    What a great song. I can't wait to hear this live as well. You better believe Mike will offer an even more extended solo that is heart shredding, and you better believe we will have 20,000+ people singing "ahaaa ohooo" at the end of the song.

This strikes a cord.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    YLed2 wrote:
    What a great song. I can't wait to hear this live as well. You better believe Mike will offer an even more extended solo that is heart shredding, and you better believe we will have 20,000+ people singing "ahaaa ohooo" at the end of the song.

This strikes a cord.

You just nailed it. I not only agree, but it's a fact this will happen.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • Options
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This is why we are here and embracing a part of life that allows our hearts to be moved.
    Enjoy!! and appreciate!!!!!!!!
    3-20-1994 Ann Arbor, MI 8-23-1998 Auburn Hills, MI 10-7-2000 Auburn Hills; MI 5-22-2006 Auburn Hills, MI 5-9-2010 Cleveland, OH; EV 6-28-2011 Detroit, MI 10-16-2014 Detroit, MI, EV 9-23-2017 Louisville KY
  • Options
    things are so simple....

as we say in Greece,"the river cant turn back"

this song is beautiful,its huge,its already classic and gets mad love...

nothing cant change that...

the power this song has is unbeatable...
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    YLed2 wrote:

This strikes a cord.

yep,thats why i understand David's thread when he talked about anthems..

the "ahaaa ohooo" at the shows will be a must sing-experience.. from now on.
  • Options
    Even though I'm not a fan of the style of this song, I must admit....when I listen to it my goosebumps do jumping jacks. They're up, They're down, They're up again and down again.

I guess it's true... Eddie can sing the phone book and give me goosebumps!
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options

If the singles are going to be released as backspacer single were, with no actual b-side, they can save us some moeny and release MYM b/w Sirens as two sides of the same coin and save us some money... if the b-sides are songs which didn't make the album, bring them on separately!
    Would be happy with them either way, no matter how they`d release them :D
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,470
    gecko wrote:
    The song will change live anyway, this is only a first form.
    I remember Just Breathe hurting my ears when hearing it first, but Eddie got it right with time.
    I normally wouldn't be a fan of Black, I would doze off, but the way they PJ performs it, together with crowd involvement, makes the song thousand times better, it could happen with Sirens.

I think some people don't get the lyrics. Or I don't. 'Arms of another man' part means that, if the person the song is about chooses life, and doesn't drop dead immediately, he (Eddie) will understand, right?

I don't really think that guys decided to make a radio friendly song and thought 'lets write a song about mortality and fear of dying, yeah, that's the plan'. It is just that they combined dark topic with catchy stuff.
    Something like 'Alive'. Might end being like Alive, a celebration.

The video is fitting, imo, exposing vulnerability, flaws, mortality...and beauty of our guys.
    It's Rembrandt. :D

It is a small wonder for anyone in PJ age bracket who doesn't court the media, to make any lists or charts, so, well done PJ.

Goodnight this is a good post!!! Hits the nail on the head IMO.
    As far as the song meaning: I have only listened to it a couple of times (like to wait) but I think Ed is just saying that he loves his gal so much that even if he forces out due to his own dis function and into the arms of another man Ed will realize this and try and patch it up with her.
  • Options
    donnaruhldonnaruhl Posts: 2,157
    I've read the lyrics on the internet,and I thought that they may have gotten some of the words wrong.
    In that verse you're talking about,I think he's trying to say that if he passes first,he wouldn't like to see her in the arm's of another man after he's gone. IDK. It's about realizing that age is coming on and we're no Spring Chickens anymore.Foresight and reflections. My guess. ;)
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,788
    YLed2 wrote:

This strikes a cord.

yep,thats why i understand David's thread when he talked about anthems..

the "ahaaa ohooo" at the shows will be a must sing-experience.. from now on.

Exactly! I hope we are all dutifully practicing our parts so we are well prepared to sing the ahhh...ohhh...ahhh...ohhh...ahhh....ohhh
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    pj66pj66 Posts: 30
    Oh Good Lord, what a great song. Nuff' said.
  • Options
    I absolutely adore this song. I can't stop listening to it, I love the sentiment, I love the rythm, everything.

The first time I heard it, I thought Mike was about to break into an extended Pink Floyd-esq solo. I hope he does when they play it live.

I really liked Mind Your Manners, but this sets the benchmark for the album. Stunning!
  • Options
    Love how mike switches guitars and eddie picks up one. Cant wait to see this live :D
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    So, I just played this video for the woman, halfway thru the song she looks at me and says, "what's this crap". :D For me the beginning and guitar solo kill this song. I just find it incredibly boring.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    I'm surprised you can't buy the video on iTunes.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    If this is a sign of things to come on the album, and you now they are still hanging out to great songs that we haven't heard yet for the remainder of the album - we're in store for a DOPE album!
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    YLed2 wrote:
    If this is a sign of things to come on the album, and you now they are still hanging out to great songs that we haven't heard yet for the remainder of the album - we're in store for a DOPE album!

I am very curious about My Fathers Son, Infallible, Pendelum and Yellow Moon. I think that these are going to make or break the album...

For some reason I get a Binaural sense from the descriptions...