Options

"Sirens" Single + Video

Comments

• Options
    I think it's a good song but sounds over produced. It kind of reminds me of November Rain. I think it will sound better live though
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    such a beautiful song
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,640
    I think it's a good song but sounds over produced. It kind of reminds me of November Rain. I think it will sound better live though
    November Rain was the first song I thought of when I heard this song.... But EV's voice is a lot nicer than Axl's. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    November Rain was the first song I thought of when I heard this song.... But EV's voice is a lot nicer than Axl's. ;)

C'mon. I mean you might think it is overproduced, but November Rain???? The song is much more stripped down than NR. If you want to make "commercial" or "radio friendly" comparisons, I think you can do better...
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

C'mon. I mean you might think it is overproduced, but November Rain???? The song is much more stripped down than NR. If you want to make "commercial" or "radio friendly" comparisons, I think you can do better...
    Here we go again. :lol: Why so defensive?? All I said was that it was the first song I thought of in comparison. And it isn't because of how commercial is might sound (I don't really think that Sirens is all that radio friendly but certainly wouldn't have an issue with that - I want PJ on the radio, and I am thrilled that MYM is on the radio all the time. And I am not one of the people who has an issue with overproduction on this song, but rather simply with the mainstream sound it has, but nevertheless I've never even said that I hate this song at all, so please stop jumping down my throat when I comment on it - yes, that's what I feel you've been doing, even though I realize that you are also responding to the other person who called the song over produced). It reminds me of November Rain because of the crescendos and the fact that it's a rock group doing a power ballad about love. For me, NR is the pinnacle of the 'famous rock group doing a huge power love ballad' song. Also, they are both piano heavy songs.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    PJ_Soul wrote:

you 2 guys are the my favorite read in the forum.. :lol:
    happy i know you both in person!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

:lol: :fp: :wave:
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Sirens isnt even half of what November Rain is.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    hehehhee..knowing you and Anthony,and how passioned you are both and have very smart ideas and thoughts.i would love to see you guys talking!!....at a coffee at Amsterdam ofcourse!! :lol:
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    I wouldn't say that, but November Rain is the more interesting of the two.... I just listened to them one after the other and I really can't say which one I prefer. I think I probably like them both the same amount (although I fell madly in love with NR when it was released in 1991 at the age of 15, and that didn't happen for me with Sirens at the age of 37). They both have their good and bad points. November Rain is nearly 3 minutes longer - that's a little much. And Axl sounds way more out of his element than Eddie. But the arrangement on NR is better and more complex.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    hehehhee..knowing you and Anthony,and how passioned you are both and have very smart ideas and thoughts.i would love to see you guys talking!!....at a coffee at Amsterdam ofcourse!! :lol:
    I would also like to have a big fucking Pearl Jam conversation with him in person - that would probably be a lot of fun! :D
    I thought FortyShades was a girl for some reason (I'm thinking it might be because of 50 Shades Of Grey??? :lol: ). It's always good to find out the actual gender of 10C members! And it fun to meet people and have them realize for the first time in person that I'm a female. :lol:
  • Options
    thats why they release it at September!!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Not really. That's what it reminded me of. I agree that it's much more stripped down than November Rain though (no rain sounds, thunder, strings, super models, etc) but the actual mixing sounds very similar... very commercial. Especially the sound of the drums and keyboard.
  • Options
    thats why they release it at September!!

Whammy! :lol:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I would go for something stronger than coffee, of course. But like a good debate. And not defensive. Just really hate NR. Its waaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy over the top. The lines. The piano. The time changes. Its like this puzzle where the pieces fit too perfectly. Every note is rehearsed. I don't get that sense of Sirens. Its stripped down. I hear some mistakes here and there. And also the structure imo is different; NR is guided by the music, Sirens by the vocal line; the music in the beginning are more soundscapes, until the vocal lines kick in. Just structere wise the songs are different.

But for all clarity and purposes: I like Sirens. I do not think it is the best work they have done and I def. have no beef with people who think otherwise about the song. I just don't consider it such a radio friendly song as it was hyped up to be. I think the problem is more with the hype - and the expectations - than the song itself. But that is just my opinion.

Since we have a mutual friend, maybe he can hook us up ;)

Ps: did I jump down your throat? I never intended too... I think I made my critical remarks here and there re. the song (don't really get the "aaaahhhsss" at the ending) and more importantly: fifty shades of grey??????? Now I am offended :o;) . I have no opinion on BDSM, but my nick was here way before that damn book came out. It is a line from the original "Hard to Imagine".
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I would go for something stronger than coffee, of course. But like a good debate. And not defensive. Just really hate NR. Its waaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy over the top. The lines. The piano. The time changes. Its like this puzzle where the pieces fit too perfectly. Every note is rehearsed. I don't get that sense of Sirens. Its stripped down. I hear some mistakes here and there. And also the structure imo is different; NR is guided by the music, Sirens by the vocal line; the music in the beginning are more soundscapes, until the vocal lines kick in. Just structere wise the songs are different.

But for all clarity and purposes: I like Sirens. I do not think it is the best work they have done and I def. have no beef with people who think otherwise about the song. I just don't consider it such a radio friendly song as it was hyped up to be. I think the problem is more with the hype - and the expectations - than the song itself. But that is just my opinion.

Ps: did I jump down your throat? I never intended too... I think I made my critical remarks here and there re. the song (don't really get the "aaaahhhsss" at the ending) and more importantly: fifty shades of grey??????? Now I am offended :o;) . I have no opinion on BDSM, but my nick was here way before that damn book came out. It is a line from the original "Hard to Imagine".
    Yeah, screw the coffee - we'll have drinks. ;)
    Yes, NR is way over the top..... which totally worked in the early 90s, but now it seems kind of ridiculous (that I like it is way more rooted in nostalgia that anything else). Sirens definitely doesn't seem ridiculous!
  • Options
    sorry guys,ill order "coffee"

coffeeshop_menu.JPG
  • Options

coffeeshop_menu.JPG
    Oooohhhhhh, right. Duh! I forgot about the coffee shops in Amsterdam... I don't know how I forgot that... Or maybe I do. I do live in Vancouver after all. They just did a poll about what the "7 wonders of British Columbia" should be, and 37% of the voters chose BC weed. :lol:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

coffeeshop_menu.JPG
    Oooohhhhhh, right. Duh! I forgot about the coffee shops in Amsterdam... I don't know how I forgot that... Or maybe I do. I do live in Vancouver after all. They just did a poll about what the "7 wonders of British Columbia" should be, and 37% of the voters chose BC weed. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Yes, NR is way over the top..... which totally worked in the early 90s, but now it seems kind of ridiculous (that I like it is way more rooted in nostalgia that anything else). Sirens definitely doesn't seem ridiculous!

My song of nostalgia is "Dr. Feelgood" and "Paradise City". And of Use Your Illusion I still like Civil War, Locomotive and Shotgun Blues. Hell, I had long hair in the back and short up front. Even had hairspray. (Stayed away from the eyeliner however.) But :shh: don't tell anyone...
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,970
    Will Sirens be available over @ https://soundcloud.com/pearljam ?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

My song of nostalgia is "Dr. Feelgood" and "Paradise City". And of Use Your Illusion I still like Civil War, Locomotive and Shotgun Blues. Hell, I had long hair in the back and short up front. Even had hairspray. (Stayed away from the eyeliner however.) But :shh: don't tell anyone...
    Gotta love the rocker mullet! :lol:
    I love Use Your Illusion I and II. I have both on vinyl and play them pretty regularly! ... November Rain is probably now my least favorite song out of either record because it's silly now, even though I thought it was cool back then (not that it doesn't have plenty of musical value). I don't think that in 20 years I'll listen to Sirens and think it's silly... so that's something. :P Will Sirens end up being my least favorite so g on this album (expecting it to be a great album)?... it's a possibility. Kind of hope so in a way, because I only want to love the rest of the songs that I haven't heard yet.
  • Options
    e382.png
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Gotta love the rocker mullet! :lol:
    I love Use Your Illusion I and II. I have both on vinyl and play them pretty regularly! ... November Rain is probably now my least favorite song out of either record because it's silly now, even though I thought it was cool back then (not that it doesn't have plenty of musical value). I don't think that in 20 years I'll listen to Sirens and think it's silly... so that's something. :P Will Sirens end up being my least favorite so g on this album (expecting it to be a great album)?... it's a possibility. Kind of hope so in a way, because I only want to love the rest of the songs that I haven't heard yet.

And don't underestimate Coma. I still kinda like that song...

But I think that Dimi is telling us, in a not so subtle way that we should stay on topic.

So to get back to Sirens and the video: to me this video clicks more than MYM - which I thought looked a bit over the top. And I have to admit, it took me a few listens to get "Sirens". It was so hyped up (and I think here is where the mistake lied) that I was expecting a second Black. Which of course it isn't. It is actually not such a radiofriendly song, IMO at least. Is it a bit polished, maybe. But the fact that the vocal line and melody is stirring and driving the song instead of the other way around, is for a "commercial" song quite peculair. If you listen to the first 30 seconds, the guitars just lay out the mood, the framework if you will and than the voice comes in, and this - these first few lines - set the tone, melody (and the theme) of the song. So, from my point of view, this song is much more complex, but the complexities are layered and polished in a studio take and therefore, dissapear in the first few listenings. Which is unfortunate, to a certain extent. If they had stripped it down a bit more... I am quite curious how a live song will turn out though.

And if I will listen to Sirens five years from now? I have no idea. Never thought I would be listening to Coma every now and then, and here I was yesterday humming "live your life like it is a coma"

So here you go...
  • Options
    With Sirens I still think they should have picked one ending; The "Fear goes away", the aah--ooohs or the Mike Solo... not sort of have them all and turning the songs ending into Return of the King. I have a feeling I will prefer the Radio edit when I get a chance to hear it.

And the piano parts should have been skipped, and the tone of the song and guitars should have been a bit more moodier like NAIS (or Binaural as a whole).

Still a really nice song, but they just crammed too much into it with a bloated result, like the music video to November Rain. I'm lucky we didn't get one of those videos for Sirens. Mike playing guitar next to a church, and slowmo shots of Eddie getting married.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    With Sirens I still think they should have picked one ending; The "Fear goes away", the aah--ooohs or the Mike Solo... not sort of have them all and turning the songs ending into Return of the King. I have a feeling I will prefer the Radio edit when I get a chance to hear it.

And the piano parts should have been skipped, and the tone of the song and guitars should have been a bit more moodier like NAIS (or Binaural as a whole).

Still a really nice song, but they just crammed too much into it with a bloated result, like the music video to November Rain. I'm lucky we didn't get one of those videos for Sirens. Mike playing guitar next to a church, and slowmo shots of Eddie getting married.
    Black has alot of piano at studio version..at live we dont listen it at all
    and our boys have good taste about art,will not put this crap ideas at the video clip
  • Options

:lol: You just made me wish that once - just once - PJ would put out a completely over the top video like that. It would be hilarious. :D

I agree with everything you said about the song.
  • Options

and our boys have good taste about art,will not put this crap ideas at the video clip
    What? The Fixer video says otherwise. :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

its a video played live!!!if they show Eddie as do some hydraulic work or Stone build a fence,i would agree with you!! :P
  • Options

I never understood why people hate that video so much. I like the video just fine - see nothing wrong with it... it's just that that terrible song ruins it.