Options

"Sirens" Single + Video

Comments

• Options
    I love this song. I felt the emotion immediately. These guys are for real, not some fly by night band. All I know when I listen to Pearl Jam something inside me comes alive. Good work guys, and thanks for never giving up.
    Albany 5/06
    Lolla 8/07
    MSG I 6/25/08
    Hartford 6/27/08
    EV Solo 8/4/08
  • Options
    Save MeSave Me Posts: 147

But I think it's better then Just breathe.
    even deaf people knows that!!!

Have no clue what that means but I'm not deaf and I much prefer Just Breathe.
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
  • Options
    HongKong wrote:
    I wish they would have changed the word "sirens" to silence, takes on a whole deeper emotion.

That would loose the sense of threat, no? But I guess that was not your point...
  • Options
    Im starting to really like this song. Still think the solo and the chanting in the end is weird, but it's getting stuck in my head.

I agree with the chanting. I would have loved it, if it ended with just Ed singing (no instruments) "the fear goes away" before a fade out. But that is a minor detail in an otherwise major piece of work.
  • Options
    Save Me wrote:
    Well it seems as if many more people like the song than not which is cool. I enjoy hearing people's opinions and this song certainly has some strong ones.

I have listened several times, which is a must with PJ songs, before commenting. I really want to love it, let alone like it, but it's just not doing it for me. Some of my favorite PJ songs are "ballads" like Come Back, Parachutes and Just Breathe but this song I find boring on all levels. Musically and lyrically uninteresting, meandering and bloated. Ed says pretty much the same thing thematically in Just Breathe in a much more meaningful, painful and heartbreaking way IMO. I actually find portions of the song cringe worthy (the "another man" line). Couldn't even make it through my last listen. I've never felt this way with a PJ song and it pains me to say it. Maybe I'll feel differently when it's in the context of the whole album but man, I think it's a pretty bad piece of music. I find MYM a far superior song on every level. Still cannot wait for the album and I'm glad that this song connects with some people. That's what it's all about in the end, a connection. I just can't make one with this song.

Fair enough... It does have the same theme as JB, but I think that there is an urgency here that JB was lacking. (And I love JB.) And as a fan we don't have to connect with every song, do we? I still have problems with Even Flow. I like the guitar solo, but the lyrics (besides the butterflies line), well, it doesn't do it for me. Blashmephy, I know in the PJ community. But my honest opinion.

Like you wrote: it is all about connection and sometimes we disconnect; and that's ok to. It like a relationship; when you disconnect there is growth...

(Or Sirens...)
  • Options
    How do I get the download onto my iPad? What file format do I download. I'm frustrated I can't get this onto my pad. Thank you for any help, peace
    ET, Wi 08-29-92
    Mke, Wi 07-09-95
    Mke, Wi 07-08-95
    ET, Wi 06-27-98
    Tibetan FC (EV)99 East Troy, WI, US
    ET, Wi 10-08-00
    ET, Wi 06-21-03
    Mke, Wi 06-30-06
    Lolla Chi, Il 08-05-07
    EV Mke 08.19.08
    PJ20, Wi 09-04-11
    PJ20, Wi 09-03-11
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    Save Me wrote:
    Well it seems as if many more people like the song than not which is cool. I enjoy hearing people's opinions and this song certainly has some strong ones.

I have listened several times, which is a must with PJ songs, before commenting. I really want to love it, let alone like it, but it's just not doing it for me. Some of my favorite PJ songs are "ballads" like Come Back, Parachutes and Just Breathe but this song I find boring on all levels. Musically and lyrically uninteresting, meandering and bloated. Ed says pretty much the same thing thematically in Just Breathe in a much more meaningful, painful and heartbreaking way IMO. I actually find portions of the song cringe worthy (the "another man" line). Couldn't even make it through my last listen. I've never felt this way with a PJ song and it pains me to say it. Maybe I'll feel differently when it's in the context of the whole album but man, I think it's a pretty bad piece of music. I find MYM a far superior song on every level. Still cannot wait for the album and I'm glad that this song connects with some people. That's what it's all about in the end, a connection. I just can't make one with this song.

Totally agree with you. It's not that I dislike their ballads, it's that this ballad is definitely bloated. It just feels so FAKE to me, coming from Pearl Jam. It's like those Glen Ballard/Desmond Child type songs that bands have them write for them. Brendan O'Brien seems to have become Pearl Jam's Glen Ballard.

And for a song that I find hard to stomach, I gotta say it IS catchy... it's been in my head since yesterday. I guess that's the purpose, what they were going for... if that was the whole reason for this song, mission accomplished. Lady Gaga is also very catchy, and Katy Perry too. :lol:
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,197
    Just heard this. Good lord, it's awful! Nickelback, is that you?
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    I love this song. I felt the emotion immediately. These guys are for real, not some fly by night band. All I know when I listen to Pearl Jam something inside me comes alive. Good work guys, and thanks for never giving up.

Well said. I share your sentiment.
    1991-11-30 St. Paul, MN 1992-08-28 St. Paul, MN 1998-06-30 Minneapolis, MN 2000-10-08 East Troy, WI 2003-06-16 St. Paul, MN 2006-06-26 St. Paul, MN 2006-06-27 St. Paul, MN 2006-07-07 San Diego, CA 2007-08-05 Chicago, IL 2008-06-24 New York, NY 2009-08-23 Chicago, IL 2009-08-24 Chicago, IL 2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis, MN 2011-09-03 PJ20 East Troy, WI 2011-09-04 PJ20 East Troy, WI 2013-07-19 Wrigley Chicago, IL 2014-10-19 St. Paul, MN
  • Options
    Save Me wrote:

Totally agree with you. It's not that I dislike their ballads, it's that this ballad is definitely bloated. It just feels so FAKE to me, coming from Pearl Jam. It's like those Glen Ballard/Desmond Child type songs that bands have them write for them. Brendan O'Brien seems to have become Pearl Jam's Glen Ballard.

And for a song that I find hard to stomach, I gotta say it IS catchy... it's been in my head since yesterday. I guess that's the purpose, what they were going for... if that was the whole reason for this song, mission accomplished. Lady Gaga is also very catchy, and Katy Perry too. :lol:

I agree too, I really never used the word "ballad" when talking PJ before this day. Sure I suppose "Comeback" LBC just breathe ect. ect. are considered ballad type songs but everything before this song was uniquely Pearl Jam and great! So no need to ever say ballad and PJ in the same sentence before now. This is a generic radio arranged ballad with horrible twangy, bad country guitar sound accompanied by an even more extremely painful piano sound. Eds inflections when he says the word sirens in the very beginning (too many times) are just as bad IMO.

It has been stuck in my head too because the lyrics and small parts in the middle are good and I tried so hard to like it I listened to it way more times than I should have. I can't stomach it any more so I will never listen to this song again except I will probably have to suffer through it a few times on the tour :cry:

I know this sort of stuff sells but I don't buy it. And contrary to what we all may believe...Nickleback, Daughtry and Bon Jovi do sell lots of albums.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    dlymnflddlymnfld CT Posts: 917
    I like the song. At first listen I wasn't that impressed but the song is a grower. I liked MYM immediately. Sirens is definitely catchy and will be loved more by the masses (casual fans) than MYM. That being said, I am sure the haters still downloaded the free file and will not change the station if they hear the song on the radio. We all need to remember that listening to a mediocre PJ song is better than listening to a great Taylor Swift song.
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • Options
    dlymnfld wrote:
    We all need to remember that listening to a mediocre PJ song is better than listening to a great Taylor Swift song.

:lol: In this particular situation, I'd say that's debatable... It depends on WHICH great Taylor Swift song is going up against this sub-mediocre PJ song. ;)
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

• Options
    dlymnfld wrote:
    We all need to remember that listening to a mediocre PJ song is better than listening to a great Taylor Swift song.

:lol: In this particular situation, I'd say that's debatable... It depends on WHICH great Taylor Swift song is going up against this sub-mediocre PJ song. ;)

Surely not if it's this...

We are never ever ever getting back together,
    You go talk to your friends, talk to my friends, talk to me
    But we are never ever ever ever getting back together

Like, ever...

LOVE THAT JAM :lol:
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,016
    Powerful song and message... :)
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    dlymnfld wrote:

Like, ever...

Well yeah of course not if it's that... the OP said better than a GREAT Taylor Swift song. That one is a shitty Taylor Swift song, much like some might say Sirens is a shitty Pearl Jam song. It's not the worst song ever made, it's just not a good Pearl Jam song IN MY OPINION. ;) But a great Taylor Swift song, if there is one, it can't be much worse than the PJ Piano Power Ballad. (I don't know for sure as I don't know Taylor Swift's catalog)

• Options
    I always get a laugh when I read the posts on here that outline someone's lack of love for this song, but the description is written in such a way as to not offend anyone. I don't get it. Why are we so concerned about the so-called PJ fans on this message board that just happened to have accumulated literally thousands and thousands of posts All reminding us that they love everything and everyone? It is obnoxious, in my opinion.

The song is terrible. It is embarrassing to listen to. People who know me also know my love for this band, their message and their commitment to philanthropy and putting out music that is always moving and unlike anything else.

This song is not a PJ song. It is a 'phoned-in' piece of commercial garbage. It makes me want to go to the Goods Section and buy a $40 PJ dog collar to hang myself with.(not literally)

To those posters saying you love this song....you are lying to yourself. I say that in the most peaceful and loving way.
  • Options
    prismprism Posts: 2,440
    prism wrote:

I made a comment razzing some fanS.(see the razz smiley?) you got defensive and butt hurt assuming it was all about you....taking it waaaay too seriously. of course you can say whatever you want... you missed the point :fp:

if you don't want people to think you are talking to them, then don't quote them, capiche?

i quoted two other people in the same post also...it makes sense they knew I was kidding. i said 'some fans' plural, that can mean many. as for someone assuming and insisting it was serious, about them and only they were quoted... :lol:

anyway i love this song more each time i watch and listen :clap:
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    dlymnfld wrote:

Like, ever...

Sadly, I only mention Taylor Swift as I have a 7 year old daughter whose IPOD is riddled with her songs. The above song is pretty catchy.
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • Options
    Save Me wrote:

I agree too, I really never used the word "ballad" when talking PJ before this day. Sure I suppose "Comeback" LBC just breathe ect. ect. are considered ballad type songs but everything before this song was uniquely Pearl Jam and great! So no need to ever say ballad and PJ in the same sentence before now. This is a generic radio arranged ballad with horrible twangy, bad country guitar sound accompanied by an even more extremely painful piano sound. Eds inflections when he says the word sirens in the very beginning (too many times) are just as bad IMO.

It has been stuck in my head too because the lyrics and small parts in the middle are good and I tried so hard to like it I listened to it way more times than I should have. I can't stomach it any more so I will never listen to this song again except I will probably have to suffer through it a few times on the tour :cry:

I know this sort of stuff sells but I don't buy it. And contrary to what we all may believe...Nickleback, Daughtry and Bon Jovi do sell lots of albums.
    That's my feeling too. And I love PJ "ballads"/slow songs - Parting Ways, Oceans, Fatal, Light Years, Black, The End, Indifference.
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • Options
    [/quote]

Like, ever...

LOVE THAT JAM :lol:[/quote]

Sadly, I only mention Taylor Swift as I have a 7 year old daughter whose IPOD is riddled with her songs. The above song is pretty catchy.[/quote]

There's nothing wrong with taylor swift. I actually think she is a very talented songwriter (if she actually writes her songs) I don't know as I haven't delved into her career but I have a daughter that listens to her all the time too and I've over heard some of her song lyrics which I think are pretty damn creative and well structured within her songs.

I have been busted on more than one occasion singing that never ever getting back together song. I don't think you can help it. It's like velcro :lol:
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    all u fucking haters. you'll be singing along with arms up, lighters up, dicks up, spilling your drink to toast mike as he solos when this song plays live on the upcoming tour. and you'll love it.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,642
    Donkey balls
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Kelly Leak wrote:
    To those posters saying you love this song....you are lying to yourself. I say that in the most peaceful and loving way.

Really? So, there's zero chance anyone can like the song because you think its garbage? :lol:

You know, I love 97% of Pearl Jams tunes. But I think Force of Nature is not a good song. But I understand that it's art and because I dont like it, doesnt mean everyone should hate it. I'll just assume you're joking.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Kelly Leak wrote:

Really? So, there's zero chance anyone can like the song because you think its garbage? :lol:

You know, I love 97% of Pearl Jams tunes. But I think Force of Nature is not a good song. But I understand that it's art and because I dont like it, doesnt mean everyone should hate it. I'll just assume you're joking.

As serious as a heart attack. This song is terrible. People like it because it came from this band. Don't kid yourself.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Kelly Leak wrote:
    Kelly Leak wrote:

As serious as a heart attack. This song is terrible. People like it because it came from this band. Don't kid yourself.

oooookey dokie, glad we cleared that up! :lol:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options

Like, ever...

LOVE THAT JAM :lol:[/quote]

Sadly, I only mention Taylor Swift as I have a 7 year old daughter whose IPOD is riddled with her songs. The above song is pretty catchy.[/quote]

There's nothing wrong with taylor swift. I actually think she is a very talented songwriter (if she actually writes her songs) I don't know as I haven't delved into her career but I have a daughter that listens to her all the time too and I've over heard some of her song lyrics which I think are pretty damn creative and well structured within her songs.

I have been busted on more than one occasion singing that never ever getting back together song. I don't think you can help it. It's like velcro :lol:[/quote]

You make a good point. Just because I don't care for Taylor Swift does that mean she is a terrible artist. It's just not my taste in music. Kind of like people on here bashing Sirens saying " I think the song is terrible so there is no way you can honestly say you like the song". People have different tastes that's why we are human and not robots.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Kelly Leak wrote:

yeah ... some guy wrote a stirring piece on antiquiet because he thinks he likes it ...

i'm all for people expressing their opinion on the song ... i've never really gotten the whole bashing of artists in general as it's so subjective ... and reading folks say how bad this song is perturbing to say the least but it's their opinion ...

but really - telling people they only like the song because PJ put it out is about the most obnoxious thing anyone can say ...
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,365
    Kelly Leak wrote:
    I always get a laugh when I read the posts on here that outline someone's lack of love for this song, but the description is written in such a way as to not offend anyone. I don't get it. Why are we so concerned about the so-called PJ fans on this message board that just happened to have accumulated literally thousands and thousands of posts All reminding us that they love everything and everyone? It is obnoxious, in my opinion.

The song is terrible. It is embarrassing to listen to. People who know me also know my love for this band, their message and their commitment to philanthropy and putting out music that is always moving and unlike anything else.

This song is not a PJ song. It is a 'phoned-in' piece of commercial garbage. It makes me want to go to the Goods Section and buy a $40 PJ dog collar to hang myself with.(not literally)

When Lightning Bolt comes out, could you PM me and let me know which songs I should like and which songs I shouldn't? Thanks!
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,116
    Kelly Leak wrote:

Not a PJ song? Who says that every song that PJ releases has to appeal directly to you?

Sirens might not appeal to me but if it appeals to others then I would say that PJ thinks it is worth it.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Kelly Leak wrote:

Um, no. That would mean I'm delusional, which obviously I am not.

So you don't think the song is up to snuff, I get it. You feel it is garbage, ok. You feel they phoned it in, fine. I don't really care if you do or don't like/loathe/hate the song, but when you personally insult people that DO like it and have an emotional attachment to it, you come across as obnoxious and rude. I already know you post oppositional views for sport, but since you know absolutely nothing about me personally, you'd be better off keeping personal attacks off the table. It lessens your argument and makes you look like a dick.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV