Options

"Sirens" Single + Video

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,314
    I'm a glutton for punishment...I just gave it one more listen and a half.

Why do I feel like I just caught my girlfriend cheating on me?

:cry:
    cos pain is very very very powerfull feeling..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,016
    My first reaction when I heard this song was ...wow 8-)

Love it...new music by the greatest band in the world... :D
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435

Did you see her "in the arms of another man?" :lol: Man I can't believe those are the words.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    I think this song is awesome. I like the simplicity of the music and the lyrical tone. I understand that some people hear it as a "power ballad" (we're really resurrecting that term?) but it's still Pearl Jam. These aren't the same guys who wrote "Black" or "Rearviewmirror". A lot of the anger and heartbreak in that music doesn't exist in the lives of the band members anymore. To each his own, but I think its a gorgeous piece of music that i'll be listening to for a long time to come.
    04/03/03 OKC 09/04/2009 Austin 05/17/2010 Boston 05/17/2010 Newark 05/20/2010 NYC
    05/21/2010 NYC 09/03/2011 Alpine Valley 09/04/2011 Alpine Valley 11/17/2012 Tulsa,(EV) 11/18/2012 Tulsa (EV) 11/15/2013 Dallas 11/16/2013 OKC
  • Options
    KateAKateA Posts: 182
    Seems like Mike's solo just jumps in kind of loud and out of place. Just my thought. Its a decent song though, but I wouldn't hype it as much as some.
    Exactly, that's the point. It hits you like a lightning out of the blue sky... sudden, powerful and beautiful! Can't get enough of it. ;)
    <hr>Normality is the death of personality.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,677

Did you see her "in the arms of another man?" :lol: Man I can't believe those are the words.
    I just thought, "really? If I got cheated on, I'd be outta there." I have no tolerance for that kind of thing. :nono: :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    My first reaction when I heard this song was ...wow 8-)

Love it...new music by the greatest band in the world... :D
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    first listen: :? did I accidentally push the bon jovi download button? have I found a delorean and somehow landed in 1987?

it's slowly growing on me though. I really like ed's singing on this one, and the part before it goes into the solo is pretty awesome as well. I can see this being a great live track.
    but the scene in the video where they are all lined-up like a boyband and sing the aaahh ooohhh thing makes me LOL every time. :lol:
  • Options
    love-boat-captainlove-boat-captain Essex. UK Posts: 476

What's wrong with that lyric exactly?? In the context of the other lyrics and the song, it works fine!
    London 29-10-96, London 29/30-5-00, London 20-4-06, Reading 27-8-06, London 18-6-07, London 11-8-09, London 18-8-09, London 25-6-10, Berlin 30-6-10 / PJ20 3/4-9-11, Manchester 20-6-12, Amsterdam 26/27-6-12, EV-London 30/31-7-12, EV-Orlando 27-11-12
  • Options
    I think the line 'send you into the arms of another man' was based upon Ed's death. That's why he is waiting when she stays around(lives). The whole song is coming to grips with his own inevitable death and what he now has to lose as compared to when he was younger and hardly gave a shit.
  • Options
    And hello to the board
  • Options
    Having soaked up this song I can only say that it is a truly beautiful song. :thumbup:

There seems to be a certain musical maturity that is coming through and I am loving it 8-)

Thank you Pearl Jam.
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    I think the line 'send you into the arms of another man' was based upon Ed's death. That's why he is waiting when she stays around(lives). The whole song is coming to grips with his own inevitable death and what he now has to lose as compared to when he was younger and hardly gave a shit.
    I think it's definitely ANOTHER song about love and impending death.

"It’s a fragile thing, this life we lead, if I think too much, I can get over-
    Whelmed by the grace, by which we live our lives with death over our shoulders
    Want you to know, that should I go, I always loved you"

I thing the lyrics are fairly implicit, as lyrics go (not that people shouldn't interpret them as they see fit). Ed seems to think about his own death a lot....
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Slept on it and still really don't like the song.
    I was hoping for weirder songs that play with sounds and different time signatures.
    I get the passionate message but the delivery lacks the passion the words deserve and the music is very bothersome to me in it's unoriginal and overbuilt over-polished sound, it touches on genres and styles of music I just don't get into, I personally don't see maturity in it I see complacency. I am still looking forward to the rest of the album and just because I am not into this song doesn't mean I think it's the end for Pearl Jam or anything ridiculous like that. I can respect that other people like it and I can respect that if this is what the band wants to do its what they will do. We'll just have to agree to disagree on the direction and quality of this one.

P.S. I prefer McHendrix not McHalen.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/open_graph/song/1783688
    "Come take my hand, and let yourself rely.
    Don't hold your breath, don't close your eyes.
    I've learned to breath and I've learned to fly.
    I've learned to see and I know I'm going higher."
  • Options
    Mortality is definitely something I think about, and no doubt others, as I draw closer to 50. I mean, let's get real, if we have a good 20-30 years after 50 we'll be VERY lucky. We've lived the majority of our lives already, so introspection and the resulting clarity and comfort in our own emotions is more evident. This song represents that for me. I can relate to it, actually feel/understand what he means. Glorious feels for this song.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    I was hoping for weirder songs that play with sounds and different time signatures.
    I get the passionate message but the delivery lacks the passion the words deserve and the music is very bothersome to me in it's unoriginal and overbuilt over-polished sound, it touches on genres and styles of music I just don't get into, I personally don't see maturity in it I see complacency. I am still looking forward to the rest of the album and just because I am not into this song doesn't mean I think it's the end for Pearl Jam or anything ridiculous like that. I can respect that other people like it and I can respect that if this is what the band wants to do its what they will do. We'll just have to agree to disagree on the direction and quality of this one.

Gotta agree with you. I haven't read all the lyrics but some of what I've heard, it is pretty dark sounding and serious, but being packaged up in this power ballad bloated feel of the music just loses it all for me. Unoriginal is a great word to describe it.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options

Gotta agree with you. I haven't read all the lyrics but some of what I've heard, it is pretty dark sounding and serious, but being packaged up in this power ballad bloated feel of the music just loses it all for me. Unoriginal is a great word to describe it.
    Yeah, it's definitely not innovative or creative. Anyone who says it is either of those two things, whatever else they have to say about it that's positive, is deluding themselves. The only thing innovative or creative about this song is that it's a massive departure from the innovation and creativity that we have seen from PJ in the past, right up to Avocado.
  • Options
    Mortality is definitely something I think about, and no doubt others, as I draw closer to 50. I mean, let's get real, if we have a good 20-30 years after 50 we'll be VERY lucky. We've lived the majority of our lives already, so introspection and the resulting clarity and comfort in our own emotions is more evident. This song represents that for me. I can relate to it, actually feel/understand what he means. Glorious feels for this song.

Wow you could not have put this any better. I feel exactly the same, can so relate to what you're saying. :)
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    is THIS the song Brendan said it was the best song PJ had written since Black???
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options

Kim,we talked already alot about it..the meaning,the feeling,the mood..all

the song is MASTERPIECE...in every fuckin way you try to understand it,put it inside you,let it go,realise it,figure out it,

The comment of Mike at the interview that he said,he felt proud Eddie put those lyrics in his song,says it all..
  • Options
    is THIS the song Brendan said it was the best song PJ had written since Black???
    I think he (also) said it was possibly the best song they've ever written, period. :? You don't have to dislike this song to think that that is a pretty kooky thing for him to say. Makes me wonder where in the fuck his head is at.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I think he (also) said it was possibly the best song they've ever written, period. :? You don't have to dislike this song to think that that is a pretty kooky thing for him to say. Makes me wonder where in the fuck his head is at.

yeah, he's starting to really turn me off. when I recently re-read PJ20, he was talking to Ed about how Better Man was going to be a hit and all that, and when that turned Ed off, he started saying this is "our" best song. OUR? He's not in the fucking band. He's the producer. How does he get to assume ownership of anything this band created?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Yeah, it's definitely not innovative or creative. Anyone who says it is either of those two things, whatever else they have to say about it that's positive, is deluding themselves. The only thing innovative or creative about this song is that it's a massive departure from the innovation and creativity that we have seen from PJ in the past, right up to Avocado.

Creativity is a subjective norm. But innovative? Sirens may not be the most innovative song, but lets face it ATW, Half Full (build on classic bluessy chords), Come Back (see Half Full), Rival ( see Half Full), Smile and numerous others aren't either. Thinking that Sirens is a "massive departure from the innovation and creativity that we have seen from PJ in the past, right up to Avocado" - well, that is delusional.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,005
    I think the haters need to chill and wait until they hear Sirens in the context of the entire album.

Everything will be just fine...
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Creativity is a subjective norm. But innovative? Sirens may not be the most innovative song, but lets face it ATW, Half Full (build on classic bluessy chords), Come Back (see Half Full), Rival ( see Half Full), Smile and numerous others aren't either. Thinking that Sirens is a "massive departure from the innovation and creativity that we have seen from PJ in the past, right up to Avocado" - well, that is delusional.
    I didn't mean every song on their first 8 albums. What my comment really meant was that that general level of innovation disappeared for Backspacer, and the lack of innovation shows in this song too. I think MYM is somewhat innovative, and I haven't heard half of the new album yet. Maybe there is some innovation in there somewhere.
  • Options
    I think the haters need to chill and wait until they hear Sirens in the context of the entire album.

The same could fairly be said about the people gushing about Sirens.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I didn't mean every song on their first 8 albums. What my comment really meant was that that general level of innovation disappeared for Backspacer, and shows in this song too. I think MYM is somewhat innovative, and I haven't heard half of the new album yet. Maybe there is some innovation in there somewhere.

I think Pendelum, Infallible, My Fathers Son may hold some surprises. What I was railing against though was this comment in your post: Anyone who says it is either of those two things, whatever else they have to say about it that's positive, is deluding themselves. In this train of though saying anything bad is as equally delusional as saying something good, no? Or do you think both opinions can go exist on equal footing?
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    PJ_Soul wrote:

The same could fairly be said about the people gushing about Sirens.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options

Kim,we talked already alot about it..the meaning,the feeling,the mood..all

the song is MASTERPIECE...in every fuckin way you try to understand it,put it inside you,let it go,realise it,figure out it,

The comment of Mike at the interview that he said,he felt proud Eddie put those lyrics in his song,says it all..

Exactly, my friend, exactly. Masterpiece is definitely the word!
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I didn't mean every song on their first 8 albums. What my comment really meant was that that general level of innovation disappeared for Backspacer, and shows in this song too. I think MYM is somewhat innovative, and I haven't heard half of the new album yet. Maybe there is some innovation in there somewhere.

I think Pendelum, Infallible, My Fathers Son may hold some surprises. What I was railing against though was this comment in your post: Anyone who says it is either of those two things, whatever else they have to say about it that's positive, is deluding themselves. In this train of though saying anything bad is as equally delusional as saying something good, no? Or do you think both opinions can go exist on equal footing?
    I truly don't see how anyone could hear this song and truthfully call it innovative unless they are kidding themselves. There is nothing whatsoever about this song that hasn't been heard before besides that it's PJ doing an 80s rock ballad.