Options

"Sirens" Single + Video

Comments

• Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I didn't mean every song on their first 8 albums. What my comment really meant was that that general level of innovation disappeared for Backspacer, and shows in this song too. I think MYM is somewhat innovative, and I haven't heard half of the new album yet. Maybe there is some innovation in there somewhere.

I think Pendelum, Infallible, My Fathers Son may hold some surprises. What I was railing against though was this comment in your post: Anyone who says it is either of those two things, whatever else they have to say about it that's positive, is deluding themselves. In this train of though saying anything bad is as equally delusional as saying something good, no? Or do you think both opinions can go exist on equal footing?
    I truly don't see how anyone could hear this song and truthfully call it innovative unless they are kidding themselves. There is nothing whatsoever about this song that hasn't been heard before besides that it's PJ doing an 80s rock ballad.

Saying this song is "innovative" is something else than saying something "positive". You are stating that anyone who is stating something positive about is this song is delusional. That is holding your own opinion in very high esteem.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,682
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I think Pendelum, Infallible, My Fathers Son may hold some surprises. What I was railing against though was this comment in your post: Anyone who says it is either of those two things, whatever else they have to say about it that's positive, is deluding themselves. In this train of though saying anything bad is as equally delusional as saying something good, no? Or do you think both opinions can go exist on equal footing?
    I truly don't see how anyone could hear this song and truthfully call it innovative unless they are kidding themselves. There is nothing whatsoever about this song that hasn't been heard before besides that it's PJ doing an 80s rock ballad.

Saying this song is "innovative" is something else than saying something "positive". You are stating that anyone who is stating something positive about is this song is delusional. That is holding your own opinion in very high esteem.
    That is not what I said at all. Please reread.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Ahhh, I see now. Still don't agree. (You innovation comment I can see, "creativity", well, is like beauty, in the eye of the beholder.)
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,018
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I think the haters need to chill and wait until they hear Sirens in the context of the entire album.

Everything will be just fine...
    The same could fairly be said about the people gushing about Sirens.

Yes and everything will be just fine....
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Ahhh, I see now. Still don't agree. (You innovation comment I can see, "creativity", well, is like beauty, in the eye of the beholder.)
    If that had been what I said, that would be pretty fucked up indeed, but I have actually said a couple of positive things about this song. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I think the haters need to chill and wait until they hear Sirens in the context of the entire album.

Everything will be just fine...
    The same could fairly be said about the people gushing about Sirens.

Yes and everything will be just fine....
    Exactly.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

If that had been what I said, that would be pretty fucked up indeed, but I have actually said a couple of positive things about this song. ;)

Yeah, my bad. Misinterpeted your sentence. Think it is time to hit the sack, before my girlfriend starts wailing... ;)
  • Options
    UKpearljammerUKpearljammer Bath, UK Posts: 910
    Wow! I can't believe this song has kicked up such a fuss and divided fans so much, but I for one love it. I felt the potential when I heard the McCready guitar video, I just loved his guitar sound. Then I heard it for the first time, and I admit at first I was slightly disappointed as from what I'd read I'd built this up to be so much, but on the second listen I just loved it. I've had it on repeat all day and so what if its a ballard, it's a new PJ song and more like what I'm after than MYM!!
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....
  • Options
    prismprism Posts: 2,440
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    prism wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I think it would really put a damper on a live show. It would be like having some other band come on stage in the middle of a concert, just for one song. I hope they know that.

betcha they know they have some very narrow-minded, egomanical fans that don't pass up any opportunity to iterate it :P
    What the fuck? :shock:

I love the song. but needn't make dozens of post to beat ppl over the head with my opinions on what the band should know or why i love it. that'd be ridiculous.

you dislike the song. which you have every right to, no one was shitting on you for that. it was clear by your first post or two.... capiche?
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    Wow! I can't believe this song has kicked up such a fuss and divided fans so much, but I for one love it. I felt the potential when I heard the McCready guitar video, I just loved his guitar sound. Then I heard it for the first time, and I admit at first I was slightly disappointed as from what I'd read I'd built this up to be so much, but on the second listen I just loved it. I've had it on repeat all day and so what if its a ballard, it's a new PJ song and more like what I'm after than MYM!!

PJ wrote many ballads. They wrote many punk songs. And rock songs. And mid-tempo songs. Nothing new here, really. I think that the song was a bit hyped too much. But I am not even sure if the band did it. (With the exception of BoB; but it is his job to hype an album.) The hype started with vague messages on boards. The first comparison with Black was made on alternative nation - and you know if this comparison is made, that people are building themselves up for dissapointment. That is why comparisons always fail. Judge a song by its own merrits and faults...

And if you think that this got the fans divided, wait when people hear SBM or when Where is the Sponge? would have been an actual song... The last one would have been hilarious though.
  • Options
    prism wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    prism wrote:

betcha they know they have some very narrow-minded, egomanical fans that don't pass up any opportunity to iterate it :P

I love the song. but needn't make dozens of post to beat ppl over the head with my opinions on what the band should know or why i love it. that'd be ridiculous.

you dislike the song. which you have every right to, no one was shitting on you for that. it was clear by your first post or two.... capiche?
    I'm not even decided on the song actually. I've said good and bad things about it. I've got shit to say about it because I'm expressing how I feel, just like a lot of other people are in various threads. I don't think the band SHOULD know anything. I just said I hope they do. Now how about just letting me say what I want to say and not calling me a narrow-minded egomaniac?
  • Options
    SpartanacusSpartanacus Oviedo, FL Posts: 824
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • Options
    CTD10CTD10 Posts: 351
    Well PJ have been my favorite band since I was 12 years old way back in 1994 and I can honestly say this is one of the most beautiful tunes they have ever done.....what an awesome song...very different for PJ but great. I really cannot wait for Oct 15. And Eddies voice....Jesus its like a fine wine, gets better with age.
    ctd
  • Options
    Both the song and video are beautiful. Thank you Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Made me appreciate mym. It's a slow sappy song. Most rock albums have one and its pretty good. Can't wait for the non singles. They are normally the best.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    prismprism Posts: 2,440
    edited September 2013
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    prism wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I'm not even decided on the song actually. I've said good and bad things about it. I've got shit to say about it because I'm expressing how I feel, just like a lot of other people are in various threads. I don't think the band SHOULD know anything. I just said I hope they do. Now how about just letting me say what I want to say and not calling me a narrow-minded egomaniac?

I made a comment razzing some fanS.(see the razz smiley?) you got defensive and butt hurt assuming it was all about you....taking it waaaay too seriously. of course you can say whatever you want... you missed the point :fp:
    Post edited by prism on
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    prism wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    prism wrote:

I made a comment razzing some fanS. you got defensive and butt hurt assuming it was all about you....taking it waaaay too seriously. of course you can say whatever you want... you missed the point :fp:
    I think the point was basically that you think I should shut up, right?
    Yes, I do take it seriously when someone publicly calls me a narrow-minded egomaniac, and yeah, you were talking about me, among others maybe, but still about me - you did quote me when you said it.
  • Options
    I read Brendan 'O Brian's interview on Sirens and also heard Mike talking for it, and I was expecting at least another masterpiece. I loved the song, Eddie's voice is unbelievable. But not a masterpiece.
    Then I remember my first reaction on past releases:
    1. Love boat captain: "love boat WHAT?????? Co-written by Boom? By ...WHOM????"
    2. Who you are: "is this the same Pearl Jam who won the award for Spin the....??? Come on!!!!!!"
    3. Just breathe: "Come on, why didn't he just put this on his solo work??????"
    4. Amongst the waves: "Again waves and tides and water???any lyric innovation left on you at all????"

Unnecessary to add that all of the above I consider now masterpieces or at least very touching (yes, about JB that's the "only" thing that fits) - I still have songs I skip and hate, though, it's not like I declare them all masterpieces! Likewise, other people may have other songs to their own revised scale.
    What I like with this band is that they make me discover how their music ages along with me and what "reactions" I get inside me after solitary listens in the course of time. I may find Sirens astonishing some day in the Future and the funny thing is that I'll be surprised I do. (I was very frightened early last month to acknowledge what a f*in masterpiece Breakerfall is, and how on earth did he came up with this topic for lyrics. But that's only because certain circumstances allowed me to see things in the "right" angle and understand the whole thing.)

Listening to the song makes you do this: come visit the forum and check on reactions because inside you you know that this is a VERY controversial song for the Ten Club fans. And so I come here and in defense of the song I feel that In a way, I'm happy that Ed did not write this song and it was Mike who did it, because it just doesn't give the haters another reason to complain about who's leading the sound of the band's music. And after saying this I go: why the f* am I writing this, whereas me, I just loved it anyways?!
    Yes, that's us, fans!
    After 22 years of offering music to people, Pearl Jam are still here, with us, and they are all together in this.
    Anyway, I can't wait for the whole album!
    Love you guys, love you all!
  • Options
    It's a song. My life doesn't depend on how the song sounds, or what it says, or even Mike's solo. I appreciate the new song. I refuse to dissect and analyze it like everyone else feels the need to do. I am a fan, not a fanatic.

Thanks for the new song Ed, Stone,Jeff,Mike and Matt! I'm looking forward to checking the album out next month.
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    this is bad. this is very bad.
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    shortstack wrote:
    Ohhh, you finally caved (or faced your fear). :lol:
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    shortstack wrote:
    Ohhh, you finally caved (or faced your fear). :lol:

i did. and it was bad. oh my.
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,702
    Ahhh shaddup!!!

Time to get over it everybody. :roll: :)
  • Options
    U_it'sUUU wrote:
    I read Brendan 'O Brian's interview on Sirens and also heard Mike talking for it, and I was expecting at least another masterpiece. I loved the song, Eddie's voice is unbelievable. But not a masterpiece.
    Then I remember my first reaction on past releases:
    1. Love boat captain: "love boat WHAT?????? Co-written by Boom? By ...WHOM????"
    2. Who you are: "is this the same Pearl Jam who won the award for Spin the....??? Come on!!!!!!"
    3. Just breathe: "Come on, why didn't he just put this on his solo work??????"
    4. Amongst the waves: "Again waves and tides and water???any lyric innovation left on you at all????"

Unnecessary to add that all of the above I consider now masterpieces or at least very touching (yes, about JB that's the "only" thing that fits) - I still have songs I skip and hate, though, it's not like I declare them all masterpieces! Likewise, other people may have other songs to their own revised scale.
    What I like with this band is that they make me discover how their music ages along with me and what "reactions" I get inside me after solitary listens in the course of time. I may find Sirens astonishing some day in the Future and the funny thing is that I'll be surprised I do. (I was very frightened early last month to acknowledge what a f*in masterpiece Breakerfall is, and how on earth did he came up with this topic for lyrics. But that's only because certain circumstances allowed me to see things in the "right" angle and understand the whole thing.)

Listening to the song makes you do this: come visit the forum and check on reactions because inside you you know that this is a VERY controversial song for the Ten Club fans. And so I come here and in defense of the song I feel that In a way, I'm happy that Ed did not write this song and it was Mike who did it, because it just doesn't give the haters another reason to complain about who's leading the sound of the band's music. And after saying this I go: why the f* am I writing this, whereas me, I just loved it anyways?!
    Yes, that's us, fans!
    After 22 years of offering music to people, Pearl Jam are still here, with us, and they are all together in this.
    Anyway, I can't wait for the whole album!
    Love you guys, love you all!

Mike wrote the music, Ed the lyrics, I do believe

On a side note, I am disgusted by the way people treat one another in this forum lately.
  • Options
    prism wrote:

I made a comment razzing some fanS.(see the razz smiley?) you got defensive and butt hurt assuming it was all about you....taking it waaaay too seriously. of course you can say whatever you want... you missed the point :fp:

if you don't want people to think you are talking to them, then don't quote them, capiche?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    I wish they would have changed the word "sirens" to silence, takes on a whole deeper emotion.
    ET, Wi 08-29-92
    Mke, Wi 07-09-95
    Mke, Wi 07-08-95
    ET, Wi 06-27-98
    Tibetan FC (EV)99 East Troy, WI, US
    ET, Wi 10-08-00
    ET, Wi 06-21-03
    Mke, Wi 06-30-06
    Lolla Chi, Il 08-05-07
    EV Mke 08.19.08
    PJ20, Wi 09-04-11
    PJ20, Wi 09-03-11
  • Options
    Hawk JamHawk Jam Melbourne, Australia Posts: 121
    Man I am really into this song, this band just continues to deliver, it's a bit different, but great.

I appreciate the band for who they were and who they are now.

Love it!
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,111
    I think I'm starting to like hearing the sirens! Didn't know what to think first few listens yesterday. Found the lines "hear the sirens" and "the fear goes away" in my head all day today. Just listened again, and I think I'm starting to get it.

But, no matter what I'm glad new PJ is stirring everybody up so much!! Love it or hate it, it's quite an interesting debate happening over one fucking song.
  • Options
    Well I for one am really digging this song. Sure it's not a raw, in-your-face rocker, but it's a beautiful song nonetheless. I love the pre-chorus of all things, it's pretty cool musically.
  • Options
    RD101189RD101189 A distant time, a distant space Posts: 454
    This song gets better ever time I hear it I gotta admit. Rinse and repeat before judging.
    09/08/1992 - Phoenix, AZ
    07/08/1998 - Phoenix, AZ
    10/21/2000 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/19/2013 - Phoenix, AZ
    10/22/2014 - Denver, CO
    05/09/2022 - Phoenix, AZ
    09/22/2022 - Denver, CO