Options

"Sirens" Single + Video

Comments

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    I already know you post oppositional views for sport, but since you know absolutely nothing about me personally, you'd be better off keeping personal attacks off the table. It lessens your argument and makes you look like a dick.

damn ... the guy a troll!? ... and i fell for the bait ... :fp:
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    I already know you post oppositional views for sport, but since you know absolutely nothing about me personally, you'd be better off keeping personal attacks off the table. It lessens your argument and makes you look like a dick.

The "search users post" link is always helpful in determining troll factor. :)
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • Options

bloody hell ... who's got time for that!? ... :lol:
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,878
    Question: When is the last time a single PJ song created this much disparity between like and dislike? If it were being considered for the new National Anthem or Song of the Year or Greatest Ballad of the Century I could see the fuss but my guess this one will just sort of fade into midst the band's songography.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,729
    All opinions about this song should just be respected IMO. If someone says they love it and are swollen up with emotion when they hear it, I am going to believe them. They certainly are enjoying their reaction to the song more than I am, so good for them. Those who hate this song and think it is just absolute garbage should be respected too. They understand the band just as well as anyone else. I am interested to see how this song holds up after the surprising amount of hype has died down. Curious to see what position it settles into with the fans over time.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianlux wrote:
    Question: When is the last time a single PJ song created this much disparity between like and dislike? If it were being considered for the new National Anthem or Song of the Year or Greatest Ballad of the Century I could see the fuss but my guess this one will just sort of fade into midst the band's songography.

I don't know the answer to your question, but the reason for such passionate polarity is because people have connected with the song emotionally. It has spoken to many people, and not just here on the forum. When one song can cause this much brouhaha in the space of 2 days, well, that speaks for itself.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

• Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    All opinions about this song should just be respected IMO. If someone says they love it and are swollen up with emotion when they hear it, I am going to believe them. They certainly are enjoying their reaction to the song more than I am, so good for them. Those who hate this song and think it is just absolute garbage should be respected too. They understand the band just as well as anyone else. I am interested to see how this song holds up after the surprising amount of hype has died down. Curious to see what position it settles into with the fans over time.

thing is tho ... i'm not sure the purpose of calling any art garbage or horrible ... it's subjective ... to each their own ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

I think it's too easy to call someone a troll when they post things you don't agree with. I have been on here a long, long, long time. I have listened to the band for my entire adult life. This doesn't give me anything other than 10C seniority and a lfe full of great memories.....

I don't think it places me in the troll category. Opinionated jerk? For sure, but not troll. I mean what I say, and I believe what I say. I am not doing it to get a rise out of anyone. :nono:

I am not worthy of the elitist membership on this forum, but as long as I maintain posting privileges I will continue to speak my mind.

'Sirens' is not a good song and a complete disappointment from this band. Life will go on.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,458
    Kim....some people here the last time they said something good for the band or for any other human being was B.C. period...dont waste your time...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Kelly Leak wrote:
    Opinionated jerk? For sure, but not troll. I mean what I say, and I believe what I say. I am not doing it to get a rise out of anyone. :nono:

:lol::lol: You sure crack me up. You honestly dont see the fallacy in your argument? -- that you are telling people that they dont actually think a song is good when they think its good, as if they cant have a positive opinion whatsoever?

When you try to tell people what they are thinking, its more than being a jerk... I cant comprehend why people like you cant let people enjoy the damned song and accept that. :?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
    I've tried. Honestly I've really tried to like this. I just can't. I'm sure I'll try again tonight but can't see the result being any different.

I've not liked PJ songs before and that's ok.

But this I just think is awful. If it was any other band I'd never have listened as many times or tried to like it.

It seems to me like a close relation of Of The Earth insomuch as,to me, it tries to be something rather than being something.

To me the music is awful and the lyrics are even worse. I've never felt a PJ some trying so hard to be something. Lyrics...can't be by Ed because Ed writes,not forces lyrics and this feels so forced. Kinda like he had a really bad fight with his wife and wanted to prove he'll be better,he loves her by writing a song for her. But comes across like a teenager trying to say the right thing to me.

I'd almost rather hear Last Kiss :-(

And 'if you'd choose to stay I'd wait'? What? Wait for what? Weren't you waiting for her and she's staying so....?

A split second reminds me of November Rain and then I think wow, there is a great song.

Massively disappointed.

And I hope I change my mind as its going to get a lot of live play.

And it is catchy because it gets in my head.

Give me a Greek myth any day.
    Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.
  • Options
    If people like it that's fine with me...I personally think it's the worst song they've written. The "live" version in the video is better than the recording I heard, but the song is just too generic and kinda sappy for my test. I like comeback, parting ways, etc... But this one just has too much of a pop feel I can't get around. It's a shame too cause eddies voice does sound great on it. I'm not going to stop listening to them, still will buy the record, just think I found my new bathroom break song
  • Options
    Kim....some people here the last time they said something good for the band or for any other human being was B.C. period...dont waste your time...

You couldn't be more right. I'm outta here! Gonna go to where the love resides. :)
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

• Options
    IamTom wrote:
    I've tried. Honestly I've really tried to like this. I just can't. I'm sure I'll try again tonight but can't see the result being any different.

you're trying too hard ... it doesn't resonate with you in any way ... it's ok ... trying to force yourself to like it is probably what is creating the resentment so many people are expressing ...

it's art ... it's not supposed to appeal to everyone ... simple as that ... nothing wrong ... spend your energy elsewhere ...
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    There are just as many people on these boards that tell the people who dislike the song that they are wrong as vice/versa.

Hell I'll go far as to say the majority of people who adore this song get overly defensive about any criticism floated towards this song.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    I cant comprehend why people like you cant let people enjoy the damned song and accept that. :?

narcissism, arrogance and an overwhelming case of self righteousness
  • Options
    There are just as many people on these boards that tell the people who dislike the song that they are wrong as vice/versa.

Hell I'll go far as to say the majority of people who adore this song get overly defensive about any criticism floated towards this song.

well ... those people would be wrong as well ...

i think if you read this thread ... people in general are open to criticisms and opinions on the song ... it's when you start telling people that they are delusional to like the song where it gets carried away ...
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    why does it have to be so gosh darn long? it could have easily been cut in half. ed needed to go back in the studio after everyone went home and roughed up the edges or something.
    and that video....yikes. how unflattering, the lighting makes ed look like he has alcoholic nose. :oops:

but at least ed's voice sounds good.
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    I cant comprehend why people like you cant let people enjoy the damned song and accept that. :?

Can u please dont let a thread to go over 32 pages the next time before u post the right fuckin thing??
    Thank u
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    norm wrote:

Can u please dont let a thread to go over 32 pages the next time before u post the right fuckin thing??
    Thank u

i've been trying to keep out of it...but i'm bored :P :lol:
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,617
    edited September 2013
    norm wrote:

So are you saying if you hear a new song from your favorite band after 4 years, you can only talk about it if you like it? Where else are you supposed to go if you dislike a song? If not the PJ message board, where?

Was it okay for Eddie in front of 20,000 people to call out Good Charlotte and include it on a bootleg? Has anyone here said anything worse than that comment?

It is well known that Ed doesn't edit as much anymore as he said so in PJ20. Some are going to like that because they like everything Ed does or they genuinely like the music. Others aren't going to like it. Thankfully message boards were created so that we can discuss with other fans.

I'll say some nice things:
    I Got Id is amazing
    I'll never forget listening to Ten over and over and over
    I don't think there is a PJ song or cover I don't love before Binaural
    I picked up a guitar for the first time because of Stone Gossard's riffs
    Into the Wild is a masterpiece and Ed's solo shows are amazing
    The 2012 Euro tour was probably my favorite run of shows I've seen (if not 2011 in Canada)
    Low Light should be required listening in grade school for all to hear
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

thing is tho ... i'm not sure the purpose of calling any art garbage or horrible ... it's subjective ... to each their own ...
    It has the same purpose as calling it beautiful or amazing. They are simply expressing what they think of the song. Both opinions are equally valid. Just because a reaction or opinion is negative it doesn't make it any less purposeful or valid. Beautiful or garbage (or somewhere in between) - it is all equally subjective. So yes, to each their own. There is disrespect for others opinions on both sides here.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

Agreed.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    norm wrote:

So are you saying if you hear a new song from your favorite band after 4 years, you can only talk about it if you like it? Where else are you supposed to go if you dislike a song? If not the PJ message board, where?

Was it okay for Eddie in front of 20,000 people to call out Good Charlotte and include it on a bootleg?

I'll say some nice things:
    I Got Id is amazing
    I'll never forget listening to Ten over and over and over
    I don't think there is a PJ song or cover I don't love before Binaural
    I picked up a guitar for the first time because of Stone Gossard's riffs
    Into the Wild is a masterpiece and Ed's solo shows are amazing
    The 2012 Euro tour was probably my favorite run of shows I've seen (if not 2011 in Canada)
    Low Light should be required listening in grade school for all to hear

The beginning of the conversation was not in the quotes, but to sum it up, another poster said that if you enjoy the song, you dont really enjoy the song, you only like it because you are blindly following PJ and think they can do no wrong....basically, If you like the song, you actually hate the song. :lol:

Its OK to say you hate the song, but just dont tell others how to feel...thats what we were talking about.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    grazmangrazman Posts: 198
    IamTom wrote:

Tom....seriously..... I mean....seriously. :lol:
    It's Evolution, Baby!
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    Kelly Leak wrote:
    dimitrispearljam,

You are obviously a huge fan of the band. People absolutely love you on here. ...the ever-growing set of positive vibes you try to put out

it's called an agenda
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,776
    Was closed for review.

Remember that old cliché, "Don't make me come in there?" Everyone's parents said it. Now I'm saying it...and don't argue like this again (posts removed) or there will be some very long breaks taken.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    grazman wrote:
    IamTom wrote:

Tom....seriously..... I mean....seriously. :lol:
    :lol:
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,702
    Kat wrote:
    Was closed for review.

Remember that old cliché, "Don't make me come in there?" Everyone's parents said it. Now I'm saying it...and don't argue like this again (posts removed) or there will be some very long breaks taken.

Hey everyone. You've been told! :)
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,878
    It would be interesting to take a poll on this song-- love it/like it/neutral/don't like it-would rather hear "Last Kiss"/strongly dislike it. Anyone?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.